Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Still unsure why this bag of small pastry has a strange bug on the front but it's great news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

Finger Prince posted:

Just completed the Canadian census. They have question on sex assigned at birth (male/female) followed by gender (male/female/other-please specify), which is progress.

but they still say "husband or wife of X" for relationship instead of changing it to/including "spouse".

i appreciate the steps forward even though there's still more to be done

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

xcheopis

"Wild caught" from fisheries.
:thunkher:

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yeah I'm constantly baffled by the weasel wording on packaging about food and naturally sourced products. I basically only eat meat once in a while because my doctor makes noises at me if I don't, and it's mostly fish, but the fishing industry is just :psypop:

Escape From Noise

Peel 'em, boil 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I tried to get wild caught Pacific halibut the other day, bc it's still more sustainable than Atlantic, but when I asked about it the girl at the fish counter was like "it's from the west coast near Boston" and I gave up and bought snapper.

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

but they still say "husband or wife of X" for relationship instead of changing it to/including "spouse".

i appreciate the steps forward even though there's still more to be done

Yeah they could clear up that language for sure. I understand wanting to know how many people did a ceremony and/or signed some papers (married spouse) vs how many did not (common law spouse), even if there's no real legal distinction between the two. So maybe they should replace "husband or wife of x" with "married spouse of x" or something.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I tried to get wild caught Pacific halibut the other day, bc it's still more sustainable than Atlantic, but when I asked about it the girl at the fish counter was like "it's from the west coast near Boston" and I gave up and bought snapper.

Buying seafood, even (especially?) "fresh" , anywhere that isn't coastal is depressing.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mormon Nailer posted:

west coast near Boston
All Earth coasts are near Boston in galactic terms.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Buying seafood, even (especially?) "fresh" , anywhere that isn't coastal is depressing.

Yeah. I miss just going to the boats to buy it direct.

Someday again soon. But on my terms and nobody else's this time.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Oh it's big mad time, better delete my Facebook for good finally.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

somethingawful dot com is my social media (and isntagram too sometimes because i like to see pretty pictures i confess)

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i live on the coast and we have great local fish and skrimps and oysters etc but I am too lazy to go to a separate seafood store that's out of my way and so i get depressing tilapia at the seafood counter at the grocery store

Gramps

If you lose your shrimp wrench I got lots of extras I'll send em to you

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

What are all these extra pegs for in my small pastry bag, there's so many

itry

I tried cooking salmon and my house smelled like fish oil for days.

itry

Also the pan was all eww

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hot take: salmon actually loving sucks usually. Even if it's prepared perfectly, it's boring and needs stuff.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

itry posted:

I tried cooking salmon and my house smelled like fish oil for days.

broilering fish is way easier and seem to make my house smell less bad

also:

Mormon Nailer posted:

Hot take: salmon actually loving sucks usually. Even if it's prepared perfectly, it's boring and needs stuff.
this is very true. I loved smoked salmon/gravlax, but otherwise gimme a chicken breast and a fish pill for half the price and calories and extra deliciousness.

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

broilering fish is way easier and seem to make my house smell less bad

also:

this is very true. I loved smoked salmon/gravlax, but otherwise gimme a chicken breast and a fish pill for half the price and calories and extra deliciousness.

Chicken thighs are the superior chicken parts. Also healthier for women who might have slight anemia issues.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

Its better than tilapia imho

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm just saying, there's way more interesting fish, cheaper, out there that is guaranteed to be wild caught, fresher and not loving boring. Mix it up. Go to an Asian grocery. Ask your butcher at your regular grocery. Google around. Ask me. There's literally plenty of fish in the sea, buddies. Eat the "gross" stuff too, I promise, it's delicious.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

Its better than tilapia imho

I wish people would loving realize tilapia is horrible for the environment and damned near inedible.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

big fan of fried catfish and i haven't had any since the pandemic started and it or some fried shrimps are gonna be wha gets me back in a restaurant because i am not getting take out fried seafood

Escape From Noise

I still can't eat...is blue fish a thing in English?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

in my mind i call catfish kittenfish which makes it extra exciting

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

As a person who has spent most of their life food insecure, literally the best resource for me ever was finding out there was an Asian grocery that had fish and took EBT (when I very, very briefly qualified) near me. It was on a bus route.

No more garbage food after that and if you ask nicely they'll cut it to spec usually.

I really wish I could just get everyone I know housed, stably, with refrigerators and stoves. I would just give people food and teach them to cook. Until then I'll cook for them and they can stay at my house.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

Se no aoi sekana? Bc yeah, but that's a category really of any of three orders of fish.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

the thing that is usually called bluefish here is very oily and strong tasting and one of those fishes that make people say they don't like fish, but they can be pretty good if they're grilled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefish

Escape From Noise

I'm not a fan of it grilled either. If it's put in front of me, I'll eat it, but I'll never order it. Grilled mackerel, for instance, is really popular here.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

I wish people would loving realize tilapia is horrible for the environment and damned near inedible.

But its so heavily marketed as the "diet" fish that people ignore anything else about it.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Hello

cruft

I just took my wife to the drive thru and we had ice cream together.

And now she's in pain because we keep forgetting she's lactose intolerant.

It was sweet for a while, at least.

Finger Prince

I'm not a fan of it grilled either. If it's put in front of me, I'll eat it, but I'll never order it. Grilled mackerel, for instance, is really popular here.

Mackerel is so good, but it absolutely has to be eaten same day fresh, or frozen immediately after catching (luckily it freezes pretty well because of the high fat content).
I used to cook it pretty frequently and always had some in the freezer, but have kind of gone off it for a while. I keep loving it up when I cook it and do it for too long. 15 minutes, not 18!
I think a big reason people "don't like fish" is its almost always overcooked, especially at restaurants where they aren't going to take any chances. But then, when you're buying a fish with no head, gills, or skin from a middle of the continent supermarket, lord knows how old it is, so that's another reason people cook the hell out of it.

xcheopis

Greetings and salutations

itry

I sometimes fantasize about smoking beef or fish in my tiny backyard.

Mormon Nailer posted:

You're right, it wasn't even that good.

Screw you salmons! :arghfist: I'll eat some... other kind of fish (I don't know anything about fish).

Stoner Sloth

welcome & chat to you friend!

i like your av, it seems chill

have you got any favourite crimes/pets/hobbies/pizza toppings/varities of taco to tell us about?

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

xcheopis

itry posted:

I sometimes fantasize about smoking beef or fish in my tiny backyard.

You're right, it wasn't even that good.

Screw you salmons! :arghfist: I'll eat some... other kind of fish (I don't know anything about fish).

Fresh water fish tastes better anyway and I say that as someone who doesn't really like fish.

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

smoked salmon can be pretty good but agree there is better fish

we have p good seafood here - snapper, whiting, red emperor, flathead, gummy shark, sardines, ocean perch, trevally and lots of others

best way to get em of course is to go fishing yourself but the fish markets here tend to be fresh and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Now that i live near a coast I like to go to the seafood shop and see what's local that i haven't heard of (which is most of it cause i was never into fish when i lived inland) and ask the people there for cooking suggestions. It's been very successful and fun and yummy. Fav so far was probably black cod, marinated in miso and white wine, and lightly pan fried