Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Stoner Sloth posted:

welcome & chat to you friend!

i like your av, it seems chill

have you got any favourite crimes/pets/hobbies/pizza toppings/varities of taco to tell us about?

Well... my meowing bird and analytical psychologist Dr. Birdo and I practice illegal Shamanistic alchemy and to rid my ancestral lineage of bad karmic energy while creating art for world.

So just your typical day-to-day poo poo. This place seems chill. What's your favorite color?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

xcheopis posted:

Greetings and salutations

Namaste

Finger Prince

alnilam posted:

Now that i live near a coast I like to go to the seafood shop and see what's local that i haven't heard of (which is most of it cause i was never into fish when i lived inland) and ask the people there for cooking suggestions. It's been very successful and fun and yummy. Fav so far was probably black cod, marinated in miso and white wine, and lightly pan fried

God black cod is so good. And expensive. But worth it. Market near me sells cold smoked black cod and it's divine (but so, so expensive).

Stoner Sloth

samantonio posted:

Well... my meowing bird and analytical psychologist Dr. Birdo and I practice illegal Shamanistic alchemy and to rid my ancestral lineage of bad karmic energy while creating art for world.

So just your typical day-to-day poo poo. This place seems chill. What's your favorite color?

nice - that sounds like a BYOB approved crime!

hmm favourite colour, tough question - I think if I had to pick one it'd be green just cause plants are p chill but i'm also very fond of purple and of course the lovely BYOB colours which tell me it's time to post with pals!!

Manifisto

a lot of fish is flash frozen when caught, so if there's no local fish you might consider buying frozen instead of thawed fish, this goes for shrimp especially

I'm gonna be the contrarian re: salmon, it's easily available, harder to mess up cooking because of the fat content, it holds up to a grill, the skin is tasty, it's nice and flaky if not overcooked, and yeah it's better with some sort of rub or paste or salsa or what have you but even baked with a squeeze of lemon and some herbs I like it.

ty nesamdoom!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Stoner Sloth posted:

nice - that sounds like a BYOB approved crime!

hmm favourite colour, tough question - I think if I had to pick one it'd be green just cause plants are p chill but i'm also very fond of purple and of course the lovely BYOB colours which tell me it's time to post with pals!!

I like that answer

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

I'm gonna be the contrarian re: salmon, it's easily available, harder to mess up cooking because of the fat content, it holds up to a grill, the skin is tasty, it's nice and flaky if not overcooked, and yeah it's better with some sort of rub or paste or salsa or what have you but even baked with a squeeze of lemon and some herbs I like it.

:agreed:

samantonio posted:

I like that answer

:agreed:

ty manifisto

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

a lot of fish is flash frozen when caught, so if there's no local fish you might consider buying frozen instead of thawed fish, this goes for shrimp especially

you do make some good points

samantonio posted:

I like that answer

thanks! we're also lucky to get some very colourful parrots here - rainbow lorikeets and eastern rosellas as well as great big flocks of galahs

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

But its so heavily marketed as the "diet" fish that people ignore anything else about it.

Ew, where? It's disgusting and like, I'm dead serious, it's environmentally disastrous.

That said I actively avoid "dieting" bullshit because I have a wicked bad eating disorder and it's an uphill battle always.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

Ehhhh fair but, I just hate it. It's just not my thing. Give me proper lox or don't give me gd salmon.

Also I still prefer whitefish, preserved, over lox any day.

Manifisto

samantonio posted:

I forget, did you say how long you have had birb?

ty nesamdoom!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

Ew, where? It's disgusting and like, I'm dead serious, it's environmentally disastrous.

That said I actively avoid "dieting" bullshit because I have a wicked bad eating disorder and it's an uphill battle always.

Maybe its a regional thing or just something that I picked up, but pretty much anytime someone I know in my family or friends goes on a diet they start eating tilapia for a few meals a week.

Manifisto

Zil posted:

Maybe its a regional thing or just something that I picked up, but pretty much anytime someone I know in my family or friends goes on a diet they start eating tilapia for a few meals a week.

not gonna endorse tilapia overall but it is cheap for a fish and has a lot of lean protein so I can see why it would be thought of as compatible with various dieting strategies

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Zil posted:

I think it's just because tilapia is cheap and abundant. Those are usually the two deciding factors for dieting people ime, it's "healthy" and cheaper than other "diet friendly" foods.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

I forget, did you say how long you have had birb?

Birb is 30, but I don't "have" her. She and I choose to be together right now as we learn. I'm letting her flight feathers grow back out after being caged for thirty years under my uncle's care now that he has passed. We're also relearning how to fly. :)

Manifisto

samantonio posted:

Birb is 30, but I don't "have" her. She and I choose to be together right now as we learn. I'm letting her flight feathers grow back out after being caged for thirty years under my uncle's care now that he has passed. We're also relearning how to fly. :)

lol I was gonna use another word but it came out sounding awkward. I do endorse the sentiment though. flight training is such an awesome thing and I think it's wonderful that you are focusing on this. you said "relearning," did she originally learn to fly at the proper fledging age?

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Ehhhh fair but, I just hate it. It's just not my thing. Give me proper lox or don't give me gd salmon.

Also I still prefer whitefish, preserved, over lox any day.

Yeah I get that, my partner is pretty anti-salmon unless it's fatty belly sushi or lox. I quite like it, if it's decent quality and cooked right. Also have you had salmon candy? That stuff is loving great.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

lol I was gonna use another word but it came out sounding awkward. I do endorse the sentiment though. flight training is such an awesome thing and I think it's wonderful that you are focusing on this. you said "relearning," did she originally learn to fly at the proper fledging age?

Judging by her landings, or crashes more like, I would say she did not. But she's getting better.

I have to be careful though, because there's a fox in the neighborhood, and it has walked up to me and birb twice now, within arm's reach, and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. It either is my spirit animal. Or it wants to make stomach friends with birb.

Manifisto

samantonio posted:

Judging by her landings, or crashes more like, I would say she did not. But she's getting better.

I have to be careful though, because there's a fox in the neighborhood, and it has walked up to me and birb twice now, within arm's reach, and I've narrowed it down to two possibilities. It either is my spirit animal. Or it wants to make stomach friends with birb.

oh yeah sounds like a lot of caution is in order, especially if she can't land properly

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hottest take: best flavored fish ever is John Dory.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Manifisto posted:

oh yeah sounds like a lot of caution is in order, especially if she can't land properly

Good feedback. I will research more thoroughly moving forward.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I only ever had it once, I remember it was pretty good but not much more than that.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

Mackerel is so good, but it absolutely has to be eaten same day fresh, or frozen immediately after catching (luckily it freezes pretty well because of the high fat content).
I used to cook it pretty frequently and always had some in the freezer, but have kind of gone off it for a while. I keep loving it up when I cook it and do it for too long. 15 minutes, not 18!
I think a big reason people "don't like fish" is its almost always overcooked, especially at restaurants where they aren't going to take any chances. But then, when you're buying a fish with no head, gills, or skin from a middle of the continent supermarket, lord knows how old it is, so that's another reason people cook the hell out of it.

I've had it fresh with the head on and all. I'm just not a fan unfortunately.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mormon Nailer posted:

Best I have ever had is a swordfish steak when I lived in Mexico and we went on a vacation to Puerto Vallarta. Don't know what they did with it, as it was many more years ago than I would care to admit, but it was delicious.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i had a tuna sammich for lunch today

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

my take on fish is if the answer to the question "did i, or someone i know, catch this fish" is yes i will eat it. otherwise tuna sammich and fish and chips are basically the extent of my seafood consumption.

shellfish are bugs, and scary, and should stay deep within the briny depths.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I don't eat tuna for a lot of reasons. I'm picky, and there's sustainability issues, and it's gross when it's canned, and people put other things I don't eat on it, etc.

I have food issues big.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i need to get my outdoors card renewed so i can start catching fish, to consume

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Do you have to call, still, or can you just fill the thing out online now?

biosterous

best fish i've had was darryl caught something while we were canoeing in the massasauga and someone whipped up a simple batter and sliced some lemon and panfried it over a fire. delicious

not sure what fish it was but based on googling the area it was probably pike or bass?

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

best fish i've had was darryl caught something while we were canoeing in the massasauga and someone whipped up a simple batter and sliced some lemon and panfried it over a fire. delicious

not sure what fish it was but based on googling the area it was probably pike or bass?

probably bass, maybe perch if it was small, maybe rock bass if it was small and spiny. Could be walleye/pickerel if you were very lucky.

Finger Prince

Heather Papps posted:

my take on fish is if the answer to the question "did i, or someone i know, catch this fish" is yes i will eat it. otherwise tuna sammich and fish and chips are basically the extent of my seafood consumption.

shellfish are bugs, and scary, and should stay deep within the briny depths.

crabs, lobsters, shrimp... all things which scavenge off dead things on the bottom of the ocean. Also all delicious.
By this logic, I'll bet vultures taste amazing.

Heather Papps posted:

i need to get my outdoors card renewed so i can start catching fish, to consume

I miss fishing. I haven't been in ages. Not that I was ever particularly successful when I did go. I can technically fish right here in lake ontario, I saw a guy catch a pike at Toronto Island once. But... ehhh...

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 8, 2021

Beef Of Ages

Your dumb is leaking.
Well, jello there

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
What's shakin'?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Amberjack is really good and also pompano or speckled trout meunière is my fav. fish dish. Rainbow trout with lemon isn’t bad for grocery store fish

Heather Papps posted:

i had a tuna sammich for lunch today
:same:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Finger Prince

Shopping for a desk chair online is draining. I think I'm just going to buy the Markus chair from ikea because I've actually sat on it, it's pretty decent, and if it sucks after a few months it's not like cost a lot of money.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Markus chair crew here, it's good for me but I still can't sit in it like a normal person. It's real good for sideways sitting though.

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Markus chair crew here, it's good for me but I still can't sit in it like a normal person. It's real good for sideways sitting though.

Can't sit like a normal person crew here, good to know.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

Can't sit like a normal person crew here, good to know.

If you can go to a store near you safely check the dead furniture section bc they have some better colors that are discontinued btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

If you can go to a store near you safely check the dead furniture section bc they have some better colors that are discontinued btw

Unfortunately all that stuff is closed for another week here. I could wait, but boring charcoal is fine. Also the entire universe had to buy home office chairs in the past year, so just having something decent in stock locally, for a reasonable price, is good enough for me.