Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mycophobia posted:

gentoo seems like it would be a pain to use

it is linux, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

and now you are learning why that was a mistake

yeah once i realised i had to upgrade every 6-13 monhts I got a little mad

but my fc32-fc33 upgrade went fine last night

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

i love that within the tiny community of this one thread fedora nukes someone's poo poo weekly, but also a non-zero number of posters swear by it.

the linux experience in a nutshell

My favorite was still someone talking about how arch was working better than fedora. Later they posted logs about a problem and the logs said portions of their motherboard (or another critical component) were completely hosed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mycophobia posted:

gentoo seems like it would be a pain to use

check your flags

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
is there a Linux distro that is constantly updating... like there is a background service that is constantly doing an apt-get update upgrade every second that it's on???

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

remember when fedora named a release "Beefy Miracle"? naming things after toy story characters doesn't sound so bad now, does it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My favorite was still someone talking about how arch was working better than fedora. Later they posted logs about a problem and the logs said portions of their motherboard (or another critical component) were completely hosed.

their ssd, and yes, that was a classic

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

remember when fedora named a release "Beefy Miracle"? naming things after toy story characters doesn't sound so bad now, does it

this is from before my time with fedora

i had to look it up and i am now deeply upset

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

was Beefy Miracle responsible for release code names being the written out form of the version number?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think they did beefy miracle to prove the point that release names are dumb

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RocketLunatic posted:

is there a Linux distro that is constantly updating... like there is a background service that is constantly doing an apt-get update upgrade every second that it's on???

any distro can be this distro with the magic of cron

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

actually, systemd timers, you philistine

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why? systemd-cron works fine for me

nerds

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

has anyone said system of a d yet

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Progressive JPEG posted:

has anyone said system of a d yet

system of a deez nuts

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Upgrade to fedora 34 was successful second time round. Must have been the disk space

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

linux: a 50% success rate

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Got a 4k monitor. After twiddling with dwm, my xterm config and xrandr, I got everything nice and comfortable for that resolution!

Until I booted up chromium and saw how tiny the UI was. In fact, everything based on electron was like that too. Turns out Google completely disregards X11's dpi setting. loving incredible.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

disregarding X11 is always the right move

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

X11's API is about 1000x better than quartz and win32. Google is apparently just incompetent trash on top of being malignant trash.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

whoa is it opposite day today nobody told me

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Lmao the entire quartz composer API is deprecated. Yeah that sounds about right.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/quartz/quartz_composer

How about u deprecate ur dogshit display server apple and switch to wayland

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there is no X software that doesn't function better on or have a more usable alternative for any non-Linux operating system

install windows if you want to use a mouse. buy a mac if you want a desktop unix. stop using some college kid's 90s dorm room project as a desktop OS

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use linux on the desktop daily and also linux on my smartphone daily and it is very needs suiting. Chromebooks also use linux, and they sell quite well.

The idea of desktop linux as a tired joke is, itself, a tired joke.

Is deektop linux a POS? Yes. So is every other desktop.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

desktop linux as desktop linux enthusiasts believe it should be will never be accepted by the majority of the population

chromebooks are absolutely the exception that proves the rule here

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

quote:

linux on my smartphone daily

:ughh:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think linux is cool

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

carry on then posted:

desktop linux as desktop linux enthusiasts believe it should be will never be accepted by the majority of the population

chromebooks are absolutely the exception that proves the rule here

Who the hell wants the majority of the population to adopt linux? The non-computer touchers have macs. That's their containment zone, they need to stay there.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Dont Touch ME posted:

Lmao the entire quartz composer API is deprecated. Yeah that sounds about right.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/quartz/quartz_composer

How about u deprecate ur dogshit display server apple and switch to wayland

lol. quartz composer != quartz compositor

quartz composer is basically for putting together shaders. quartz compositor is what shows you windows and whatnot

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mycophobia posted:

i think linux is cool

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Voodoo Cafe posted:

lol. quartz composer != quartz compositor

quartz composer is basically for putting together shaders. quartz compositor is what shows you windows and whatnot

4k screen and I still can't read lmao

I can't even find the docs for the quartz compositor wtf do they even exist?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

macOS is an insanely harder core operating system than linux

imagine needing gnu to write a userspace for you and then being beholden to their lovely viral license for eternity and then spending the next 30 years big dick swinging like you’re god’s gift to computing while your competitors are busy running the connected world

you’d be defending Hurd if rms could write programs in languages other than lisp and compile them on anything other than a leemote mips32 or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well I still have a year left on support for my pixel 3a so I'll probably switch to iphone se next year

unless Sony comes out with a decently priced phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

being sony, they will not

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

their lovely viral license

I hate when I come down with that virus of "source code"

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Kazinsal posted:

imagine needing gnu to write a userspace for you and then being beholden to their lovely viral license for eternity and then spending the next 30 years big dick swinging like you’re god’s gift to computing while your competitors are busy running the connected world

you’d be defending Hurd if rms could write programs in languages other than lisp and compile them on anything other than a leemote mips32 or whatever

Mac os is so hardcore that they had to get rid of kernel modules because they were too spicy, and subsequently replaced them with yet another collection of syscalls, completely defeating the purpose of kernel modules in the first place

It takes a real bad dude to write software for a platform that hates you. A real friggin BAD rear end motherfucker....

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

you seem real mad about linux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kazinsal posted:

yes, i'm sure the thing holding macos adoption back is its architecture

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Dont Touch ME posted:

Who the hell wants the majority of the population to adopt linux? The non-computer touchers have macs. That's their containment zone, they need to stay there.

actually the non computer touchers have windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mycophobia posted:

i think linux is cool