Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dino Charge has so many rangers I only remember the rich guy, the alien, and the very cute mentor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Look very closely at the picture again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is Zenkaiger any good? I'm holding off for a goodly chunk of episodes to binge, and it's getting to that point where I'm itching to watch what's out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The clips on twitter are fun that's all I know

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is Zenkaiger any good? I'm holding off for a goodly chunk of episodes to binge, and it's getting to that point where I'm itching to watch what's out.

Yes, watch it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dino Charge has so many rangers I only remember the rich guy, the alien, and the very cute mentor.

it's Ivan, the Gold

and also Tyler is dressed as Daigo, not Zenkaiser

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Zenkaiger has been excellent so far. Very high energy, very fun, and can get deceptively dark when it wants to.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Your series can't be too red-centric if you don't have a red ranger :discourse:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Technically Zenkaiger does have a Red but he’s not the main character

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpazmasterX posted:

It is already drifting towards being the Kaito, Zox, and Stacy show feat. some zords, the way Kyuranger became Lucky and Tsurugi and sometimes Stinger and Naga, or Kira was Joule, Oradin, and the Oradin family too. It's still buckets of fun, though, and the robots have just enough character to be relentlessly cute.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Juru

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
started watching In Space for the first time this weekend and i'm a little surprised at how strong it is right out of the gate. like, i guess as someone that had drifted away from the show by that point i expected it to be decent and to continue the upwards trajectory the back half of Turbo had started on but for the way it's talked up to be a bit exaggerated but nah, it's good stuff.

last episode i watched was the one with Andros and the car thieves, the writing of which felt very "kids show of its time" but his naivete was kind of adorable. it's funny that after a half dozen episodes they're like "oh wait, the Turbo Rangers were still students before fleeing to space, right? maybe they should stop back in, they probably have a test due or something."

i'm not really feeling Bulk and Skull's b-plots so far in this one. i didn't mind them in Turbo-2 since their odd jobs would often intersect with the Ranger stories, whereas so far here they're just kinda completely off on their own

i've also had this song popping into my head periodically since finishing Turbo. primo Power Rangers cheese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEh6AbbPHsM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

It is already drifting towards being the Kaito, Zox, and Stacy show feat. some zords, the way Kyuranger became Lucky and Tsurugi and sometimes Stinger and Naga, or Kira was Joule, Oradin, and the Oradin family too. It's still buckets of fun, though, and the robots have just enough character to be relentlessly cute.

I’m really curious how/if that show is going to get adapted into Power Rangers one day. A large portion of the cast are suit actors and there’s footage of them using the powers of/fighting against multiple unadapted teams.

For example, Stacey’s villain debut would either have to be completely reshot or they’d have to make up some explanation as to who these strange new Ranger teams he summoned were.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Homora Gaykemi posted:

started watching In Space for the first time this weekend and i'm a little surprised at how strong it is right out of the gate. like, i guess as someone that had drifted away from the show by that point i expected it to be decent and to continue the upwards trajectory the back half of Turbo had started on but for the way it's talked up to be a bit exaggerated but nah, it's good stuff.

last episode i watched was the one with Andros and the car thieves, the writing of which felt very "kids show of its time" but his naivete was kind of adorable. it's funny that after a half dozen episodes they're like "oh wait, the Turbo Rangers were still students before fleeing to space, right? maybe they should stop back in, they probably have a test due or something."
I remember at the time the show started that people liked the first episode or two but was skeptical of how it was going to go. That's definitely the lower part of the series, with things picking up a bit after episode 16 and especially after they add a guy.

quote:

primo Power Rangers cheese

Turbo's music was super cheesy even by Power Rangers standards when it was new. I bought the TAPRM back in the day just to listen to the Zeo tunes and could only shake my head and shrug at most of the Turbo stuff. It's like some people read Wasserman's sometimes goofy lyrics but didn't bother with the composition. People didn't like Combat despite themselves because of the lyric about "your ultrazord protection," but because the hook was catchy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly, PR needs to just start doing what Sentai does and giving, like, individual mechas or Rangers themes

I still hum the GaoSilver theme sometimes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Honestly, PR needs to just start doing what Sentai does and giving, like, individual mechas or Rangers themes

I still hum the GaoSilver theme sometimes

The Green, White, and Gold Rangers all got their own unique themes at least but for whatever reason they stopped doing that after Zeo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the reason is "Saban was a dick to the music guy"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Forgot to say I was surprised the Turtles crossover was so early in the season. I knew it was a thing that was going to be coming up, but it seemed like the kind of thing that happens a little later on when you've established your show a bit more, not literally like episode 4

Larryb posted:

I’m really curious how/if that show is going to get adapted into Power Rangers one day. A large portion of the cast are suit actors and there’s footage of them using the powers of/fighting against multiple unadapted teams.

Given that the two year format means they're sliding further behind Sentai every year, I feel like they just skip it. I'm really enjoying the show, but the basically everything about it makes it an easy skip in terms of trying to turn it into Power Rangers

Assuming there isn't anything to that rumour about them stopping Sentai adaptations going forward anyway

Craptacular! posted:

I remember at the time the show started that people liked the first episode or two but was skeptical of how it was going to go. That's definitely the lower part of the series, with things picking up a bit after episode 16 and especially after they add a guy.

I know a few things about what's coming up - Andros' sister's identity, that there's a Silver Ranger named Zane that I know basically nothing about, the Psycho Rangers existing but whose deal I know nothing about, and what ultimately happens with Zordon - but how those things come about or the general progression of the show is all new to me so I'm looking forward to the ride, especially if it's all up from where I am

quote:

Turbo's music was super cheesy even by Power Rangers standards when it was new. I bought the TAPRM back in the day just to listen to the Zeo tunes and could only shake my head and shrug at most of the Turbo stuff. It's like some people read Wasserman's sometimes goofy lyrics but didn't bother with the composition. People didn't like Combat despite themselves because of the lyric about "your ultrazord protection," but because the hook was catchy.

It's not as good as Wasserman's season one stuff, but the way it's used in the show with the drums and the "let's go!" leading into the chorus as they form the Rescue Megazord really worked for me

FilthyImp posted:

I think the reason is "Saban was a dick to the music guy"

People Saban wasn't a dick to would probably be a shorter list

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 9, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

For example, Stacey’s villain debut would either have to be completely reshot or they’d have to make up some explanation as to who these strange new Ranger teams he summoned were.

https://youtu.be/SZ-b67BPKPg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’d like to think the current staff is a little better at their jobs than Megaforce’s were at least.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The average episode uses about 2min of footage, and probably half of that is the zord battle.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Why are people so specifically fixated with seeing Kyuranger getting adapted?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

That’s easy. They’re all evil ranger teams.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

Bandai of America was involved in the design of the suits so it was at least in part designed with an eye toward succeeding in the west under some concept or another. Who knows if these writers would make it work, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Xelkelvos posted:

the Kyuranger suits are dope as hell

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i wanna see stories about a kid poking his eye with the yellow kyuranger action figure

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Craptacular! posted:

Bandai of America was involved in the design of the suits so it was at least in part designed with an eye toward succeeding in the west under some concept or another. Who knows if these writers would make it work, though.

Once read an interview with Chip Lynn where he was like 'writing for 10 rangers in Dino Charge loving sucked, never again' so that might have something to do with it. Of course he's gone now but some of the writing crew from back then is still around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Once read an interview with Chip Lynn where he was like 'writing for 10 rangers in Dino Charge loving sucked, never again' so that might have something to do with it. Of course he's gone now but some of the writing crew from back then is still around.

That's one of the big reasons why I think it wont happen. Too many people. And given Kyuranger could barely handle juggling those characters as well as the main plot with its own run time, I have greater doubts of Power Rangers being able to do that in its more abbreviated run time.

There's also a bunch of other problems too with the series that would make it terrible to adapt

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Hell, in both cases even the original Sentai didn’t handle it much better so personally I’m not holding my breath on any sort of Kyuranger adaption in the near future.

Personally I’m getting the feeling that Kiramaiger is probably going to be the next season adapted after Dino Fury wraps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My solution to too many rangers too many characters:

You know the two comedy characters you have in each season? And the authority figure? And the mentor?

Give em Morphers. More rangers, same number of characters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

You know the two comedy characters you have in each season? And the authority figure? And the mentor?

Kyuranger tried that solution and it still ended up having part of the original team shoved into the background and into irrelevancy. Even normal Sentai don't have that many recurring non-villain characters

Edit: Mentor was Xiao Longbao who became purple and the 10th member

Comedy duo was part of the main team. Same with the assistant type character. Those were Gold, Silver and Pink respectively. Then they added a kid character and finally the true "6th"

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

I mean, Kyuranger did do this

Xiao was the mentor/leader figure (and also partial comic relief) all the way up until he became Draco Commander

Hell Dino Charge did this, even if it delayed it-Kendall got to be a Ranger

Also here have Xiao being... Xiao

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

That's one of the big reasons why I think it wont happen. Too many people. And given Kyuranger could barely handle juggling those characters as well as the main plot with its own run time, I have greater doubts of Power Rangers being able to do that in its more abbreviated run time.

There's also a bunch of other problems too with the series that would make it terrible to adapt

A Kyuranger adaptation I figure would rather than how Power Rangers usually has a supporting cast of non Ranger or villain characters, would probably only have the Rangers and the bad guys for it's recurring cast

Fake Edit: well others have brought it up already, though I do feel everyone is being too Doom and Gloom about it

Larryb posted:

Hell, in both cases even the original Sentai didn’t handle it much better so personally I’m not holding my breath on any sort of Kyuranger adaption in the near future.

Personally I’m getting the feeling that Kiramaiger is probably going to be the next season adapted after Dino Fury wraps.

The problem with that one is that Kiramager's designs translated terribly to toy form(well mostly for the main robo but that's the most important thing) and I'm not sure Hasbro can fix that while still remaining accurate to the source material

Overall Zenkaiger is basically their best option at this point

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anytime there is a tv on in the background or somebody is watching tv it should be ToQger, and a ranger should say "Oh that's the show they made about power rangers where they drive trains!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh I should clarify I'm fully on board for a Kyuranger adaptation because I really liked it

Like, I can admit it's not perfect, as a Sentai series. It doesn't give focus out to the lesser characters very well.

But I still think it's a fun, solid show with a lot of good humor and moments.

Xelkelvos posted:

Comedy duo was part of the main team... Those were Gold, Silver

Excuse me I will not have you just erase Naga as a 'comedy character' when he a great bit of focus turning evil and then good again, thank you very much

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 10, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with that one is that Kiramager's designs translated terribly to toy form(well mostly for the main robo but that's the most important thing) and I'm not sure Hasbro can fix that while still remaining accurate to the source material

Overall Zenkaiger is basically their best option at this point

Zenkaiger is definitely the best, but Kiramaiger is something that can be adapted with little problem where they just turn down the sparkles or replace them with lights. I do think the main robot had some design issues, but they're not insurmountable.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

All I ask is that a Kyuranger adaptation do a whole rewrite of the kid. While he's not a gross perv like Kou, he was still annoyingly there at all times.

Ok, I guess I meant rewrite as in "rewrite him completely away to have more Shou Lonpo"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with that one is that Kiramager's designs translated terribly to toy form

Problem is, Bandai in any region is quite allergic to quality unless they're selling at a significant upcharge in which case suddenly they become good.

I'm pretty sure the guys who have been making Transformers for the better part of 40 years can make it work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
here's my craziest idea: what if they adapt the Sentai that's gonna come after Zenkaiger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They're gonna adapt Goggle V next.