Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Plant MONSTER. posted:

https://i.imgur.com/YgOfS2c.mp4

he screams like this all day, especially if he can't find Mayo or if he's right next to Mayo.

The Venn diagram for this is just a circle labeled SCREM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Ashynn posted:

Hey darlings, I know it's been... a while since my last post. Forums aren't really my thing.

Anyway, figured I'd see if there was input to be had.

https://i.imgur.com/kTrSB9q.mp4
(there is audio)

I've been doing the egg carton on the bottom of the cage thing, and been really ontop of keeping her on a 12-12 day night cycle. Not only has her cage been rearranged every time I clean it but the room itself has also recently been reorganized.

This bird will not stop being a horny monster. Hell even now after taking that video she's got her butt up against the wall and cooing (between hissing little charges at my hand while I type, it's a small desk)

She's been like this for 2 weeks now. Any ideas on how to get her to chill? I've done some research but not turning up anything I've not already tried.

Additionally, I've been wanting to get a second bird anyway, and my experiences with Beryl have rather put me off Conures. Another girltiel may just start having fights, but a boy, with Pemka like this all the time, is probably also a bad call.

What's her age now?

Serra is coming up on four in a few months and still permanently horny. But it dropped off considerably once she got past the Terrible Twos.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips on ensuring my birds are eating enough during the transition to pellets? They don't poop the same amount, and don't spend anywhere near as long near food bowls. When seed is present, they'd be at the bowl throughout the day just gorging on it all. I do spot them eating pellets throughout the day, but they don't eat as much. I don't know if this is because pellets are more calorie dense compared to seeds or if it's because they'd rather just not eat since it's not seeds. I let them eat seeds in the morning right when they wake up, then swap out for pellets until the evening time, when I put seed back in for them to eat before sleeping.

I thought of weighing the pellets but I've not got scales that are accurate enough, plus with the two of them in there and the pecking order nonsense that goes on, I wouldn't be sure if both get equal amounts. They don't really put a dent in the pellets, I have a layer of them on the bottom of the feeder.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 4, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Any tips on ensuring my birds are eating enough during the transition to pellets? They don't poop the same amount, and don't spend anywhere near as long near food bowls. When seed is present, they'd be at the bowl throughout the day just gorging on it all. I do spot them eating pellets throughout the day, but they don't eat as much. I don't know if this is because pellets are more calorie dense compared to seeds or if it's because they'd rather just not eat since it's not seeds. I let them eat seeds in the morning right when they wake up, then swap out for pellets until the evening time, when I put seed back in for them to eat before sleeping.

I thought of weighing the pellets but I've not got scales that are accurate enough, plus with the two of them in there and the pecking order nonsense that goes on, I wouldn't be sure if both get equal amounts. They don't really put a dent in the pellets, I have a layer of them on the bottom of the feeder.

if you have a kitchen scale, i'd try to start weighing them every couple of weeks. you can do this by putting a bowl with something delicious on the scale, taring it, then getting the bird on it.

that way you can see if they're eating enough; if their weight stays in the healthy range it isn't worth worrying about

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://twitter.com/radrangy/status/1389408070359523328

Qubee
May 31, 2013

You reckon I should postpone the pellet thing until they're done moulting? Chick's shedding feathers like crazy and has lots of pinfeathers coming through, Wasabi is just starting to moult with the rare feather dropping off. I don't know if calorie intake affects moulting, I'd just feel like a massive jerk if me playing about with pellets makes them have to put up with moulting for longer. I'd rather they gorge on seeds and get all their energy needs, rather than eat a few pellets but not get the energy they need.

Gonna do the weighing thing for sure, seems like a healthy habit to maintain just to keep a general eye on their health.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Source (:nws:)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Speaking of crows, H keeping me company while I read the forums :)

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

What's her age now?

Serra is coming up on four in a few months and still permanently horny. But it dropped off considerably once she got past the Terrible Twos.

She's actually nearing four as well, I think when we first got her and Beryl there'd been comments of her and Serra secretly being the same bird? It's been a while.

Well, guess it's good to know they're still mirroring each other?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey LAB does Charlie very clearly tier people according to who he likes most?

Ooh you've got me on the spot, now I have to admit I haven't really had anybody over in like a year and a half so I don't know :laffo: He's only been mine for three. In the past he has been shy and a little curious about new people, but not really interested in making friends the way Amadeus always is.

Ashynn, speaking of Ama, we went and got her a Lupron shot last week at my vet's advice because she just kept laying and neither she nor I were happy about it. Her disposition immediately improved and she is back to her feisty happy self and not just horny and angry and obsessed with the nearest dark corner. It kind of felt like giving up to go get her a hormone shot but the vet was quite confident about it and it seems to have worked like magic. Is that an option for you?

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 4, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Speaking of crows, H keeping me company while I read the forums :)

The H is for Handsome, isn't it?

The view from my bedroom window is just the stone wall next door, but I can hear little magpie sitting on [my roof/the neighbour's TV antenna] and singing throughout the day.

Disappointed that I had to throw out all the frozen mealworms I got on special the other day - I thawed out the first pack this morning and there was a white fuzz that looked like mould on the bran. I don't blame the pet shop, it wasn't visible when the lids were fogged up in the fridge/freezer.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 5, 2021

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GotLag posted:

The H is for Handsome, isn't it?

It sure could be :buddy: There are a few different places in my neighborhood where I like to sit outside with my phone and he will often come down to keep me company for a bit when he sees me at one. This is the first morning he has joined me at that particular spot -- it is next to a sidewalk so a little busier than most of the others. I am really happy he did, I thought he made for a very pretty picture. :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Some red breasted robins set up a nest under our lean-to and laid eggs before we could get rid of it so now we have angry parents yelling at us when we go to the cars parked by it. The babies are great because all you can see from the ground is them sticking their beaks out like little pinfeathered :v:s

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ashynn posted:

She's actually nearing four as well, I think when we first got her and Beryl there'd been comments of her and Serra secretly being the same bird? It's been a while.

Well, guess it's good to know they're still mirroring each other?

They could be related. I've managed to prevent any additional eggs with the egg crate method, but she is still...:checks notes: "Horny on main?" Is that right?

She also thinks she can turn my pajama pants into a nest with nothing but her anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbX0MVC6ZE&t=4s

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I am so happy that Mayo has yet to fall in bird love and doesn't lay eggs. But I'm always suspicious an egg could appear any day now. She weighs like two Pestos

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

speaking of eggs...Richmond VA has a peregrine falcon couple who live on top of a building downtown and they just hatched three chicks :3: :3: :3: There's still one egg left but it might be a dud.
https://dwr.virginia.gov/falcon-cam/ mama doing a good job of covering the babbies right now but you can catch a glimpse of their feet once in a while

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ooh you've got me on the spot, now I have to admit I haven't really had anybody over in like a year and a half so I don't know :laffo: He's only been mine for three. In the past he has been shy and a little curious about new people, but not really interested in making friends the way Amadeus always is.

Sinbad very clearly plays favorites. Since the move he and I are bosom buddies and he drat near wags his tail running over to greet me when I get home. When I am home he tends to disregard my girlfriend. However, my mother visited the other day and he had stars in his eyes, and for two days after that I got honks and growls for the crime of not being her.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad very clearly plays favorites. Since the move he and I are bosom buddies and he drat near wags his tail running over to greet me when I get home. When I am home he tends to disregard my girlfriend. However, my mother visited the other day and he had stars in his eyes, and for two days after that I got honks and growls for the crime of not being her.

:lmao: I can at least confirm Charlemagne adores me; in the three years I've had him (and the additional year that I knew him beforehand) he has never bitten me and will tolerate all sorts of ridiculous manhandling. He does love to pretend to be a big ol tough guy and bluff at me right up until the actual touching occurs. I love that ridiculous big shoulders/poofy head combo. :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
FEEDING TIME ~~~~~

https://dwr.virginia.gov/falcon-cam/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm headed to Richmond tonight for work. Gonna go bother those birds. In spirit.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

So a gang of local crows has discovered that with the dining room closed in the local KFC, people are eating in their cars and they can beg for fries with some success.

I know this because my trainer and I stopped there and gave them fries, and then we watched the same four crows hurry over to another truck to beg there too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found a chill little parking lot near work and it regularly has some crows and gulls hanging around looking for handouts whenever I get lunch. Its v adorable. Now if only the wild parrot flock hanging around would also come chill and eat a potate with me.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Crows are ridiculous. God bless our indoor bird friends and our outdoor friends too :lmao:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
One of the local ladies saw me open the back door so she flew over and perched on my roof, sticking her head over the edge of the gutter and watching my every move.

I love the way magpies telescope their heads out to look at things that interest them, they're like meerkats with wings

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RoboRodent posted:

So a gang of local crows has discovered that with the dining room closed in the local KFC, people are eating in their cars and they can beg for fries with some success.

I know this because my trainer and I stopped there and gave them fries, and then we watched the same four crows hurry over to another truck to beg there too.

There was a decent windbreak of trees by a McDonalds near me and the birds there would do the same :kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie was just sitting on my knee, and she climbed down, ran across the bedspread, flew to her perch, climbed to the top and THEN pooped.

I choose to view this as exceptional politeness on her part
:colbert:

(She has shat down my back in the past, but only when she was sleepy)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In large part, my spending months telling Serra "POOP!" before she climbed on my headboard, she now has a habit of climbing onto my chest to poop before adventuring anywhere else.

Thanks for listening? I think?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

It is so grossly warm. UGH.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

99% of pictures I'm in for the past decade, I'm wearing white undershirts. Because I just swap them out when they get poop'd.

I use to wear A-Strap undershirts, but those don't offer -

- Claw grasping fabric for shoulder perching
- A barrier between freshly vented urate and my skin
- Dignity when photographed

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Interesting birds seen during my day of work:

A juvenile bald eagle, maybe two or three years old, eating roadkill with a dozen or so ravens.

... maybe large crows. Didn't get that good a look. But my gut says ravens.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mallard hen has a nest right next to the sidewalk by my house, never would have noticed her if I wasn't looking just right.

Also the wood ducks in that tree by my window are still around, must have built a nest.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I love how female wood ducks and mandarin ducks look. Not as flashy as the drakes, but so pretty.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
E: posted in the wrong thread

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 8, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Wrong thread

This is a perfectly good thread for ducks.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

I dearly love crows because they are just so smart and social and humorous. Crows tell jokes, I've seen them, they loving love physical humour.

I didn't see H fly in while I was sitting outside today; I was alerted by someone suddenly bawling CAW!! CAW!!! CAW!!!! about five feet away behind me in what was clearly not an appropriate five feet away voice. It made me jump a little and I turned around to see him sitting on his fence post, fluffing his feathers, looking just pleased as punch by his successful equivalent of sneaking up and yelling BOO!.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

RoboRodent posted:

This is a perfectly good thread for ducks.

It is! I edited out a post I meant for the F1 thread

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Captain Log posted:

They could be related. I've managed to prevent any additional eggs with the egg crate method, but she is still...:checks notes: "Horny on main?" Is that right?

She also thinks she can turn my pajama pants into a nest with nothing but her anger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmbX0MVC6ZE&t=4s

my gods.
we have the same color bed sheets.

I'm horrified, hello mirror-existence me!

Yeah she's laid an egg directly into the egg cartons, and now is very upset about how she can't sit on it.

Fun times as she's also taken to attacking my tablet pen, hand, or any drink I put on my desk while working.

I love this bird but oh boy, this isn't what I needed in the middle of an unrelated depression dip.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Ashynn posted:

my gods.

Yeah she's laid an egg directly into the egg cartons, and now is very upset about how she can't sit on it.

Fun times as she's also taken to attacking my tablet pen, hand, or any drink I put on my desk while working.

I love this bird but oh boy, this isn't what I needed in the middle of an unrelated depression dip.

:hfive: depression buddy. Just remember it won't always be this way, and that sometimes just getting through the day is an effort and achievement worth being proud of. :unsmith:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 9, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ashynn posted:

my gods.

Laying an egg into the cartons is a level of dedication even Serra hasn't managed. :stare:

I've gone through some loving dark rear end times with depression in my life. Thank God for my birds. They kept my head above water when there was nothing else. I couldn't bear the thought of what would happen to them if something abruptly happened to me.

I hope you're making out as best you can. The sun always rises, friend. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

dinosaurs