Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I have a Patreon. Please consider signing up for it. It really helps me out moving forward.

Man of Medan is the first in a planned series of games under the title of "The Dark Pictures Anthology." Much like Until Dawn, a previous game developed by Supermassive a few years ago, Man of Medan is an interactive horror story, where the decisions you make and the actions you take will determine how the story plays out.

I'm going into this game blind, so I do not have many details I can offer you about the plot, but as I understand it at this time, the story is about a group of divers that find themselves exploring the wreckage of a ship from the 1940's. They attempt to uncover the mysterious history of the ship, and also try not to get killed by... whatever might actually be happening here. I don't know, and that's part of the fun! Come watch me totally not get scared by this game.

For more information on the legend this game is loosely based on, please watch Part 0. And while you're at it, please also consider watching my playthrough of Until Dawn if you haven't already. Or hey, watch it again. Tis the season for spooky, after all.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A COUPLE NOTES

-This is a BLIND PLAYTHROUGH which means I have not been spoiled on this game. Please be considerate about keeping it this way by not sharing any game spoilers in this thread, tagged or untagged.

-I was fairly thorough with my playthrough of Until Dawn, trying to offer a very complete experience for the viewer by showing things I missed, glimpses of alternate paths, and sharing my thoughts/theories on where the game was headed. I can't promise I will be doing this for this game, as I have already made a few discoveries about the gameplay itself that might make things difficult, but I will try to do my best!

-Despite the lack of updates, I am still doing playthroughs of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 and a co-op playthrough of the We Were Here Trilogy with my friend, P0larmic.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This game kind of felt like "What if Until Dawn but it didn't have a budget for real actors." Still had its charm

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

This game kind of felt like "What if Until Dawn but it didn't have a budget for real actors." Still had its charm

I don't think you really need big notable actors for a game like this. It always felt like part of the charm of horror movies was having a lot of unknowns in them, which may or may not have been the result of smaller budgets as well.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 30, 2020

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I've been looking forward to this ever since the tease at the end of Until Dawn. Funny that you mentioned Little Hope in the video, that actually released today.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I've been looking forward to this one! I only caught your Until Dawn playthrough right at the tail end, so I didn't really pop into that thread.

Question - on the relationships screen, it looks like you can press X to get more details per character, is that the case? Or am I reading the UI wrong?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I've been looking forward to this ever since the tease at the end of Until Dawn. Funny that you mentioned Little Hope in the video, that actually released today.

Guess what shipped to my address today. :ssh:

CapitanGarlic posted:

I've been looking forward to this one! I only caught your Until Dawn playthrough right at the tail end, so I didn't really pop into that thread.

Question - on the relationships screen, it looks like you can press X to get more details per character, is that the case? Or am I reading the UI wrong?

I'll actually have to check that out. I assumed that was not the case so I didn't even try, but I'll confirm it in the near future for sure.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Funny you mentioned playing based on displayed characteristics, because that is exactly what the AI does. To put it in more context, the AI make choices that the other players would've made if you don't play alone.

CapitanGarlic posted:

You're correct. It shows which action and how it affects the relationship but not by how much. Relationship points is one of the factor that determines the AI's decisions, so this is actually useful :eng101:

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, what excellent timing. Hope you have fun with it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So is this LP DoA?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is not. I'm actually working on editing the third episode as I'm typing this.

The whole "life" thing has been a bit harder to manage this year, which I'm sure many people can relate to. On top of that, I'm a very smart man who decided he needs to manage 4-5 different projects at once, so juggling all those things has not been easy.

For this LP in particular, I had some audio issues I needed to manually adjust up to this next episode, I had to start the playthrough over, and I ended up diving into some research regarding the wrap-up that is at the end of this next episode, which required me to work out a write-up for the recording.

But I would hopefully expect the next video to be coming very soon, and then things going much smoother after this.

Cyclopean Horror
Mar 31, 2009
Looking forward to it. Your After Dawn LP was great.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Hooray!

I watched your Until Dawn LP recently and really enjoyed it :D

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Hell yes, I love it

Man, that Moe guy in your comments is really thirsty.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm really sorry about that. I've hidden their comments from now on since they won't stop.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Wicked sick, welcome back!

You closed commenting on the frame colors and it might make sense if they're per character - looks like there's five columns of three rows each, so maybe three premonitions per character? I know in Until Dawn they were colored out thematically, but like your comments it could make sense as characters rather than themes. Still, cool as heck, even if there's now the added pressure of "by the way, hidden timers too."

Trying not to catch any spoilers, it's more like a TV show to watch along with.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
:ohdear:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Since you speculated about it in the video, you are indeed correct that there are some secrets that can only be found in the Curator's Cut, so you're not gonna find everything in one go.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Since you speculated about it in the video, you are indeed correct that there are some secrets that can only be found in the Curator's Cut, so you're not gonna find everything in one go.

Well that's fun. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I did not know that this game had a timing function. No wonder some people never found anything.

I do know it does have an issue with timing, lot of misses in that part.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2021

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I never heard that this game was outright bad or anything, just that Until Dawn was better. Without spoilers, if you folks have played this game, what would you say? And if the game is regarded as "not as good as Until Dawn" or "just plain bad" would the things I'm bringing up about the game's design fighting itself be reasons why, or is there something else I have yet to really see?

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
The invisible timer per scenes is an interesting game play idea since not only dose it prevent you from doing everything or exploring everything in a scene, thus allowing for an easier way of writing differing outcomes based on what you do, but it also creates greater tension in scenes where you obviously don't have much time to act. I also didn't have much of an issue with the game not letting you explore on this ship since, diagetically your character is being held captive by individuals who wouldn't want you to be able to wander all over the ship (also you have already explored this section as another character earlier in he game, which I presume is the point of making you walk through it again). I did laugh when the guy batted the clipboard out of your hand since a) that's sort of what you would expect from a pirate and b) its a bit of a "screw you" to the player for not taking the situation as seriously as the characters would be.

That said I could see this being infuriating for a 100% completion or anyone who expected one of those old point and click adventure games where the purpose was to explore and interact with absolutely everything.

Have you played around with the multiplayer at all? Ive never messed with it but it sounds interesting/potentially annoying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captian Nuke posted:

The invisible timer per scenes is an interesting game play idea since not only dose it prevent you from doing everything or exploring everything in a scene, thus allowing for an easier way of writing differing outcomes based on what you do, but it also creates greater tension in scenes where you obviously don't have much time to act. I also didn't have much of an issue with the game not letting you explore on this ship since, diagetically your character is being held captive by individuals who wouldn't want you to be able to wander all over the ship (also you have already explored this section as another character earlier in he game, which I presume is the point of making you walk through it again). I did laugh when the guy batted the clipboard out of your hand since a) that's sort of what you would expect from a pirate and b) its a bit of a "screw you" to the player for not taking the situation as seriously as the characters would be.

That said I could see this being infuriating for a 100% completion or anyone who expected one of those old point and click adventure games where the purpose was to explore and interact with absolutely everything.

Have you played around with the multiplayer at all? Ive never messed with it but it sounds interesting/potentially annoying.

That's an interesting way to look at it. That by not allowing the player access to all the information available, they make less informed choices resulting in more variance between the choices players make. I'm not sure if I believe it though.

The way things seem to be structured, so far, at least, is that you are on linear paths. There's a starting point, and the end point is however far along that path you get before the invisible timer runs out. Therefore, it's likely that many players will experience the same access to the same information. It's just a matter of if they see it, how fast they look at it, or of they elect to bypass something in the hopes of finding something else within the time limit. If there were more paths of exploration, or the secrets to find were randomly determined on the first playthrough, I feel like that would gel more with the idea of having players make a variety of less informed choices.

In regards to suggesting it's there to create tension by making the player feel the time crunch, keep in mind I didn't even realize there was a timer until I dug further into the game.

The way I look at it, I believe it's actually something that was implemented for the sake of multiplayer, but ended up affecting a single player experience as well. In order to prevent one player from "wasting" a great deal of time looking around for every clue they can find while the others stand around waiting for the next trigger, the timer is there to keep things moving for the sake of all players, be it online co-op of Movie Night. It's just unfortunately something that was kept in for a solo play experience and I feel the game suffers for it.

I could be wrong and you could be right, but this is the feeling I get from the game based on my experiences with it so far, especially when comparing it to Until Dawn which allowed the player the time to explore AND included various paths you could end up on depending on your choices.

Also no, I have no access to playing Multiplayer with anyone. All the information I can gather on it is based on second-hand sources.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Jamesman posted:

The way I look at it, I believe it's actually something that was implemented for the sake of multiplayer, but ended up affecting a single player experience as well. In order to prevent one player from "wasting" a great deal of time looking around for every clue they can find while the others stand around waiting for the next trigger, the timer is there to keep things moving for the sake of all players, be it online co-op of Movie Night. It's just unfortunately something that was kept in for a solo play experience and I feel the game suffers for it.

So I did a little digging and it looks like you're partially correct. The "invisible timer" acts like another player for scenes that occur at the same time. I know there is a set of scenes coming up that has this gimmick going on. In the online Shared Story, one player plays one scene while another plays the other. And once one of the players does a certain action, the scenes converge. Now, since you're playing solo, you'll see both of these scenes and how long you take in 1 may determine how long you have in the other, although I'm not sure about that.

The part where you ended the previous video is where the game opens up a bit more. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the group is gonna split up. And if it makes you feel any better, you haven't missed any secrets yet. There are only 6 that are in the Curator's Cut only and now that you're on the ship, they're gonna be coming much more frequently.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hey. We're back, sort of.

I was juggling a bunch of projects all at once, so I decided to just focus on one thing at a time. THUG2 is finished, We Were Here Too is finished, so now I'm back to finishing up Man of Medan.

But there have been some complications happening. The game sometimes stutters and hiccups, I think when it's trying to load something in the background. This results in the game not properly registering button inputs, which is a very bad thing to happen when your game is "Press X to Not Die" and all that.

It's been happening a lot in the part of the game I'm currently in, and I have had at least two instances now where this has actually happened. Now the good news is that I'm able to maintain a blind experience by keeping the material leading up to the fuckups, and immediately quitting out when the game does gently caress up, so I don't know what's happening after. What sucks is it does feel like cheating to essentially savescum a blind playthrough, but it ALSO sucks that poo poo is happening through no fault of my own. It's very frustrating and is beating me down a lot when trying to finish this up. So while I am hoping to have a smooth update schedule until the end, there's also a chance that things might slow down again because the game is being a huge jerk.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here have another video to make up for all the breaks. Have a spooky weekend!

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
You're overthinking the picture frames. They're either black or white. Alright, there is one special one you can find but you'll know it if you find it. As for the Curator appearing in the background, he appears quite a few times throughout the story so if you've got sharp eyes, you'll see him again.

In comparison to Until Dawn, while this game is definitely shorter, it has a much greater variety of changes that can happen based on character actions. Plus, with the Curator's Cut, it's made to be played through multiple times.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

You're overthinking

Yes.

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

In comparison to Until Dawn, while this game is definitely shorter, it has a much greater variety of changes that can happen based on character actions. Plus, with the Curator's Cut, it's made to be played through multiple times.

In your opinion, is it a good idea to be LPing this in the same way as Until Dawn? Just one run through of the game exploring as much as I can, or should I have gone in with the intention of showing multiple playthroughs/outcomes? I feel like I went into this with a plan that is conflicting with what the intentions of the game are.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I would say keep going with the blind play through and then do a second one of the Curator Cut. Things will probably play out differently and there are some scenes exclusive to it. You could compare and contrast what happens between the 2 since the game the game more or less acknowledges that you'll know what's coming. And there are a few secrets that can only be found there too. To give you a bit of incentive, when you find all the secrets you unlock an in game comic that shows you how each secret ended up where you found it. Hope that helps.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

The Curator has a rule about when he may appear. I wonder if you will figure it out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

grandalt posted:

The Curator has a rule about when he may appear. I wonder if you will figure it out.

I'm operating under an assumption that he appears as a foreshadowing to potential death.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Don't feel bad about Vent Monster getting you. I think it gets everyone the first time through. I know it got me good the first time. Every time afterwards? You'll laugh when you find it but that first time? It's a cheap jump scare but goddamn is it effective.

And you are indeed correct that the clipboard would still be sitting up on the catwalk if you didn't try and pick it up the first time. It's not a secret or anything, just a bit of flavor text so it doesn't matter where it ends up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Curator spotted in the video.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

grandalt posted:

Curator spotted in the video.

Aww you can't do this to me. Where did I miss the lil fella hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

16:11, look at the left of the screen when Brad is jumping down.