Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

They have a premium membership thingy for 60 bux a year... might be worth it depending on how degenerate i get I'm already pretty degenerate with this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm strongly considering it myself as well. I should, but if you pull the trigger first let me know how pricing looks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My buddies and I have considered it. Might do it for the next big purchase we make.

Iacen posted:

Any UK goons here?
I am wondering if there is a good and reasonable online retailer they can recommend in terms of price and assortment?
I have just bought a house with a garden, and looking forward to sitting outside during summer and having a quiet smoke.

Welcome trans-Atlantic goon! I don't know much about online retailers outside the US, but I think sites like Cigar Terminal and Cigars of Habanos have global shipping. They seem to carry both Cuban and non-Cuban brands, probably worth looking into!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My spouse and I just joined Costco yesterday, so I'm pretty much ready to fully sink into dadhood joining another cost savings club for cigars.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maybe we should just get a goon account.

Tonight I smoked a Nub Dub with one of my buddies. I think he mistook it for the Nub Maduro when I got 2 ten boxes recently, and was worried it wouldn't be good. Luckily it's an excellent cigar, with a really lovely chocolate spice flavor that hangs out very nicely. I had to do a bit of PerfecDraw surgery on mine to get it pulling properly but it was a nice little hour smoke once we got it going.

On Tuesday we smoked a new My Father cigar for us, the La Antiguedad Grand Corona. This is a 6.4 x 47 with an Ecuador Habano maduro wrapper and corojo/criollo binder. Really fun to smoke. Excellent draw, a little light but not too loose, and the burn was maybe a B, needed a bit of touching up as it canoed occasionally. The flavor started peppery and meaty, and right around the 2nd third there was a hard shift to huge sandalwood/palo santo perfumey flavor that was really great. Around the final third we got some cinnamon and richer brown sugar flavor. This was a cigar that definitely evolved and it was very fun to smoke. I'm looking forward to my next one for sure.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 7, 2021

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
It's ridiculous how good nubs are for the price.
I haven't smoked in a while so on a ride along at work.....means cigar and pipe time.
Savinelli Janus pipe tobacco and a choice of Southern Draw Firethorn, La Aurora Diamond and something from Privada I've been sitting on for ages. No reason but it's the Corojo Edgar Julian

Sadly still gotta be picky about where I order from as I'm in Utah :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Is the issue with Utah a legal one, or is it that your cigars dry out in transit cause you're in the desert?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Kenning posted:

Is the issue with Utah a legal one, or is it that your cigars dry out in transit cause you're in the desert?

Legal. Most places won't ship here but there are a few companies that ignore this
Cubans aren't an issue but Cigars International, Atlantic cigar company and a few other "big" companies are a no go.
Pipe tobacco is harder to get sent this way honestly then Cigars. My humidor has a good 500+ Cigars but pipe tobacco I keep maybe 6 to 8 tins on hand

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat, do you think package forwarding service might be worth it?

I'm going to be in beautiful Appleton, WI for work all next week. I'm gonna bring a mess of sticks with me since I'll be camping that weekend as well, but I see that there's a cute looking shop just down the street from my hotel.

Looking forward to finding what pairs best with cheese curds!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Double post degeneracy supremacy!

Order came through with LbO corojo lanceros, Rose of Sharon lanceros, and Rocky Patel Sun Grown Juniors.

The important updates are they I hate Rocky Patel and his laser cut portrait on the inside of all of these tins. To quote a poet, "you're tacky and I hate you"

Still hope they're good.

And the RoS lanceros look great. They were packaged with a still-squishy 69% (nice) Boveda pack, so I'm going to try smoking one right now because I'm a huge gay idiot.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
It’s going to be in the 50s tonight AKA smoking weather. Not sure what I’m going to jump into as I have a big back log of stuff but I’m leaning towards something on the really heavy side.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 7, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Double post degeneracy supremacy!

Order came through with LbO corojo lanceros, Rose of Sharon lanceros, and Rocky Patel Sun Grown Juniors.

The important updates are they I hate Rocky Patel and his laser cut portrait on the inside of all of these tins. To quote a poet, "you're tacky and I hate you"

Still hope they're good.

And the RoS lanceros look great. They were packaged with a still-squishy 69% (nice) Boveda pack, so I'm going to try smoking one right now because I'm a huge gay idiot.

Hell yeah degenerate idiot crew.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

drat, do you think package forwarding service might be worth it?

I'm going to be in beautiful Appleton, WI for work all next week. I'm gonna bring a mess of sticks with me since I'll be camping that weekend as well, but I see that there's a cute looking shop just down the street from my hotel.

Looking forward to finding what pairs best with cheese curds!

Hit up the Wooden Nickel and get an order of chippers extra crispy.

My wife went to school in Appleton and has family from there as well, it's a neat area

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Drink as much New Glarus as you can while in Wisconsin. Ideally their fruited sour/funky stuff and not Spotted Cow but sometimes you don't have options.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maksimus54 posted:

Hit up the Wooden Nickel and get an order of chippers extra crispy.

My wife went to school in Appleton and has family from there as well, it's a neat area

Hell yeah! I've been heading up to Chain o Lakes for 20 years now, so I'm glad to get a good local spot!

Lyon posted:

Drink as much New Glarus as you can while in Wisconsin. Ideally their fruited sour/funky stuff and not Spotted Cow but sometimes you don't have options.

Oh I am no stranger! I love stocking up on their experimental stuff. The raspberry tart and Belgian red might be my favorite regular productions of theirs.

I'm planning on grabbing some Rhinelander shorties, too. Inshallah Costco carries some regionals.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I just made a run to the forbidden humidor and scored some Liga t52 piggies and some game of thrones lagavulin 9 for hella cheap. Drinkin a little la fin du monde as well. We livin', boys

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Lyon posted:

Some of their stuff is fine but there is way better beer available in WI (and generally not around Chicagoland) like Karben4 and The Brewing Projekt.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Maksimus54 posted:

Does she know Cliff Yablonski? That is literally the only other time in my life I hear about Appleton.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Nexein and I just made a run to the forbidden humidor and scored some Liga t52 piggies and some game of thrones lagavulin 9 for hella cheap. Drinkin a little la fin du monde as well. We livin', boys

Confirming that this fuckin rules

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Round 2: bomabay sapphire G and T I a can just hit the market so we're pairing those with the Blackbird ruffed grouse habano. So far pretty awesome, especially considering what it's following.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went with a “monsdale” custom roll I bought a bundle of way back when. It didn’t age well at all so I pitched it and fired up a Juan Lopez Seleccion #1.

Solid so far.

I can’t think of any other cigar it reminds me of.

E: it was fantastic. Need more.

So glad I got a sampler with 15 cigars I either haven’t had or haven’t had in years.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2021

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Got a fun order in today!

Two Rose of Sharon Toros, two Rose of Sharon Desert Rose lonsdales (LONSDALES!!), three Padron 1964 Natural Diplamaticos, two God of Fire Serie B Double Robustos, and 5-packs of the Foundation Tabernacle coronas and Illusione Epernay L'Elegance (another lonsdale :getin:)

After some rave reviews from this thread, I've been searching all over for the Rose of Sharon, and finally gave in and ordered a couple. I saw they had the Desert Rose, and in one of my favorite vitolas, so picked those up as well. I just finished my last five-pack of the Epernays on Modnay, and as I was halfway through the last one, I realized that I prefer not to live in a world where I don't have one or more in my humidor. Similar with the Tabernacle's - I smoked two recently, and one was competent and the other was straight up memorable, so I defintely want to keep those around. The God of Fires - well, I smoked a Serie B Robusto once and it's easily in the top five I've ever smoked, and I was already ordering sooooo take a chance on a bigger one. And the Padron's speak for themselves - I don't generally love churchhills, but I've had these a few times, and even with the seven inch smoke, I still am smoking those down to the nub and sad when they are finished.

I celebrated my present to myself by pulling one of the Casa Cuba Doble Tres I've had laying down for six months, and man, that's a fun stick. Not as muchof a pepper bomb as some I smoke, but a lot of subtle flavors to it and it performed like a champ - I'm so used to having to touch up cigars at least a couple times that it's just an absolute pleasure when I light something that is perfect all the way through - no touchups, the thing didn't even consider burning unevenly. I've said it before, but it's like a budget Opus, and while I can taste it just thinking about it, I don't have the words to really say what flavors I love about it, but it's just so enjoyable. They're such a pain in the rear end to find that I don't want to smoke them as often as I would like. Against my better judgment (because now it will be harder to find this vitola), the Doble Tres is far superior IMO to the other vitola's I've tried - the corona size is perfect. Maybe one day I'll get the vocabulary to explain what flavors I love about these dudes.

I also stopped by a local B&M the other day, and picked up some other cool sticks - I remember someone here loved some of that La Aurora's, and picked up a 107. I know it's not the one they were talking about, but hey, hopefully it's fun. Also got an Illusione 888, and a custom Illusione Prive lancero that is only made for that specific shop.

Can an adult please take away my cards?

edit; why are lonsdales and coronas not more popular? My closest B&M, while awesome, doesn't seem to carry anything with a smaller ring gauge, and it makes me sad.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Because small ring gauges are not nearly as popular in the US. They haven’t been for a long time by all accounts.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Great haul, Dramatika! I'm a big La Aurora fan, I didn't enjoy the 107, but I sure hope you do. Those 115s are :discourse: if you see them in stock next time you're at the shop.

Yeah, re: ring gauges, there seems to be a weird machismo factor associated with large ring gauges. My all time favorite cigar is a Toro Gordo, but the rest of my humidor comes in under 50rg.

Lonsdales and lanceros all have pretty high wrapper:binder/filler ratios, so if you're discerning, you may go to those because it makes the wrapper really pop. They're also harder to make because the wrapper leaves are harder to make right. Coronas are much easier to accomplish because they're shorter, while keeping a similar ratio.

Anyway, enjoy that you like what's not the mainstream because they're less likely to get snatched out from under you on auction sites :v:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Made a victory lap at Up Down before I head off to Appleton tomorrow. I picked up one of the t h i c c Boveda packs to throw on the top layer of my humidor. I think with the Oasis on the bottom and that big boy at the top, we'll get some more consistent action in there.

My pickup today included: 2 x Black Works Studio Hyenas Lonsdales, 2 x Arturo Fuente Casa Cuba Doble Tres, and 3 x Curivari Trail Mix.

I have never heard of Black Works Studio, and they were recommended by German at Up Down, and I'm real interested, so trip report on that:

Closed foot with a pigtail cap. The cigar is firm if slightly toothy. Smells a little like feet on the outside (this is generally a good thing in my experience) and the clipped cap gave a little burst of figgy flavor right when it got cut. The draw is loose enough on the dry pull that I'm a lil bit worried about whether I got a bum smoke or not. The flavor on that cold pull is a mellow burnt sugar/caramel.

That is a very hot smoke right off the bat. Great pepper and cocoa with that DPG Blue/El Centurion oat-cereal flavor. This is a little more oat-y than the wheat-y flavor of the Garcia smokes. I'm having some Dewar's 12 (The Ancestor, it claims on the bottle) with this, and with that the cigar's finish has a little sappy sweetness to it. I can't make it happen consistently, so maybe it's just one of those fun little merry-go-round flavors that'll pop up again on its own schedule.

Definitely a pepper bomb on this opening inch and change. The sweetness is starting to pull in for a few puffs at a time, so hopefully that will build to be a more common flavor in the profile as the smoke continues.

I let the cigar rest for a bit and it has a bit more of an even keel on the tail end of this first third. The sweetness is not as pronounced as it has been on the occasional puffs, but the cereal body has picked back up some and provides a nice complement to the pepper.

As an aside, I have been drawing quite slowly on this smoke to keep it from cooking itself.

Around the halfway point now, maybe a little further in, and we have encountered the flavor that was teased with the foot smell on the wrapper: the funk has kicked in! The pepper, sweetness, and cereal are all there, but that umami funk of something fermented is a major player now. I love that flavor. My favorite kind of tea is pu'erh tea, and it is a fermented black tea that has that flavor in spades. I love it, and when cigars feature it like in the Hors d'Ages series, I am just so thrilled. It's really playing well with that light sweetness on the back end, like some kind of syrup.

This final third is fabulous. Fermented funk with spice is one of my favorite qualities of the Hors d'Ages line.

Just finished it up, highly recommend! There is a strong possibility that I will triple post with the Casa Cuba Doble Tres after dinner (which is nowish).

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Just finished it up, highly recommend! There is a strong possibility that I will triple post with the Casa Cuba Doble Tres after dinner (which is nowish).

CCCCCCCCCOMBO BREAKER

Casa Cuba Doble Tres is one of my favorites and I wish I could find the drat things without having to scour the corners of the internet

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Atlantic has them, but you have to call. I think there might be something from Fuente prohibiting their online sale. Planning on asking how much the box of 30 costs with the VIP buyer discount hehehe

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That was extremely delicious! Much more delicate than I thought it would be, I tend to think of the Opus X as a bigger smoke. I'd have that again any day, though!

Lots of rose, bergamot, and some really amazing cinnamon at one point. Mild-medium strength with a slightly fuller body. Super duper recommend checking that out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yesterday I had a fighter practice session for the first time in a while, and then after I sat down for a bottle of Duvel and a Hemingway Work of Art. Fantastic cigar, spicy and with great depth. And it commmmmpletely kicked my rear end. I haven't had a nicotine high like that in years.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! I've been meaning to try that line. I may come around to more Fuente stuff in TYOOL 2021.

I stopped into Woodman's grocery store, which is employee owned to pick up some New Glarus, which is also employee owned. I grabbed their Triple 5, a Belgian tripel, and Cabin Fever, a honey Bock, and paired it with a Bolivar PC to complete the circle for my huge gay lefty rear end.

The Triple 5 is a really clean tripel, really competent and didn't really rock the boat. It really makes me miss Aviator's Devil's Tramping Ground, so if you're in NC grab one of those for me! Probably not going to get more after I clear this 4 pack, but if I were hankering for a tripel I'd go for it.

The Cabin Fever honey Bock was EXCELLENT. Super clear honey flavor, I'm grabbing multiple sixers to bring home. The sweetness is really great to keep the nicotine in check from the smoke.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I sat down for a bottle of Duvel and a Hemingway Work of Art.

Ive been smoking AF Hemingway cigars since 2006 or so; right around the time my father had his first knee replacement. I love the Short Stories and my favorite is the Signature.

I haven’t had a Between the Lines in a long time, and I love them but I was the only one buying them at my B&M so Lynn stopped stocking them. As long as she keeps the Sig, SS, and Nub Habanos I’ll keep going but I don’t know if we can change back to smoking inside after Covid mandates are safe to repeal. Even in winter we had enough fire pits and propane heaters to sit outside in short sleeves and socially distance.

I just wanted to smoke a Between the Lines in honor of FlyingLemur, well known for his love of Fuente products :vince:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had that Northwoods today for the first time - I'm not big into English style tobacco yet so I can't give a super thorough review, but the taste is an interesting blend that's heavy on latakia and Cavendish. Has an intriguing sweetness to it, especially in the first half of the bowl, with latakia the whole way through and some additional spiciness towards the end.

The aromatics from Boswell's are crazy though, they smell so loving good both in the tin and being smoked.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Winding down with a no 1 after my second day at a new, kickass job; hope everyone else is also havin' a swell week.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! Congrats on kick-rear end new job!

LAdC Rothschild for me tonight, Partagas Short over coffee this morning.

No lie, friends, business travel in a pandemic is rough. Can't wait do anything besides eat out, smoke cigars, and sleep. And even the eating happens in my car, same with the smoking. It's just a little too chilly to hang out outside. At least I'll be camping this weekend and have no choice! :v:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m trying to think if I want to brave the low 50s tonight for a cigar. Work leading up to a vacation ha been a lot so I could use the quiet time but I’m also exhausted.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Time to branch out to something different and try one of the EP Carillo new wave brilliantes that was rec'd a while ago. If the weather stays nice I have to find a couple sub $8 sticks...

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Maksimus54 posted:

Time to branch out to something different and try one of the EP Carillo new wave brilliantes that was rec'd a while ago. If the weather stays nice I have to find a couple sub $8 sticks...

I had a Carillo La Historia a few minutes ago and it was killer

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Those new wave brilliante's are pretty banging for like $3 a stick if I remember. I'm not a great taster yet but there was some nice sweetness and just general pleasant cigar flavor throughout. A very nice connecticut experience

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went with a monte 4 last night and I’m glad I did. For a cigar I avoided for years I’m surprised at how much I enjoy them.

My go tos used to be RASS, BPC And RJ short Churchill’s. Now I’m fixated on Mag 46, monte 4 and… still the short Churchill’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Having a A. Fuente Destino al Siglo and a Liga T52 for my work cigars today. It's a good day