Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ok fine you all convinced me i'll start back arrow after i catch up on the rest of this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's good, and i can't believe we are still blessed with another 6 episodes when it already feels so endgame

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bakeneko posted:

It’s a bad show, but I’m finding it kinda fascinating in how it manages to make pretty much everyone an rear end in a top hat. Like, am I supposed to side with Hiro because other people keep treating him like crap, or against him because he’s an idiot who falls for the simplest tricks and who is still moping about being embarrassed at a track meet years ago?

But I’ll keep watching the trainwreck anyway because at the very least it managed to hold my attention, and I am kinda curious as to what Reona’s deal is.

I think it fails pretty utterly at being a comedy, but I am kind of enthralled by just how much of a trainwreck the MMO is.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Full Dive is great. Everyone is terrible and I'm rooting for them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wielder posted:

Oh no, the choir...not the choir! I'd say that specific sequence was rather tragicomic in a good way, but the whole ep was exciting for me.

This week in particular had the sort of "second half of a Kazuki Nakashima show" energy that may have been missing earlier. And despite or perhaps precisely because of the chaotic flow of recent events...it's a welcome surprise that they are picking up bits of foreshadowing from all the way back at the start specifically with Arrow himself, the prophecy and the Rakuho he came in.

I'm frankly amazed at how much mileage they got out of the goddamn science choir. :allears:. I really hope the dub can do them justice.

Nemo2342 posted:

I think it fails pretty utterly at being a comedy, but I am kind of enthralled by just how much of a trainwreck the MMO is.

One thing I do like is that they haven't just gone "Realistic RPG == Realistic fantasy world" and called it a day. There's enough game elements prevalent to remind you it's still an RPG (Eg; There are blatant events and triggers), it's just a bad RPG.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
It's kind of interesting in that there's absolutely a real world market for "realistic" kinds of games. Like ARMA III, the slightly misnamed "RLCraft" mod for Minecraft, DayZ and its various derivatives, PUBG to a lesser degree; then there's various tabletop rpgs which attempt to add more realism, Mount and Blade is kinda serving this demo? They wouldn't exist without a market for it. Full Dive clearly goes too far when freaking healing items just work exactly like in real life, but 90% of the game as depicted is kinda "Hell yeah I'd jive with this." I like the idea of NPC AI that are almost basically sentient and react to you in realistic ways. Immersion is always like the driving selling point of VR games so a VRMMORPG that delivers immersion is going to absolutely have a market.

Its when things get to the point of wasting your time like relying on natural healing is where I'd nope out because I have places to be and I don't want to be stuck waiting in an inn for however many days if not weeks or months it takes to heal up. Now actually having to cook/make healing potions/forging/and so on that requires realistic methods? That's fine. You need to abstract the right kinds of subsystems in service of facilitating gameplay and respecting the player's time.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m very surprised that, of all the overly realistic stuff that later games got rid of, that also included the ability to taste food. The pain and the slow healing etc. I can understand but what’s the downside to letting players eat?

It certainly explains why that one guy keeps logging in every day just to hang out at the tavern, though. If this was a real game there’d probably be whole groups of players running virtual bars and restaurants.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 8, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Bakeneko posted:

I’m very surprised that, of all the overly realistic stuff that later games got rid of, that also included the ability to taste food. The pain and the slow healing etc. I can understand but what’s the downside to letting players eat?

It certainly explains why that one guy keeps logging in every day just to hang out at the tavern, though. If this was a real game there’d probably be whole groups of players running virtual bars and restaurants.

Maybe it's a safety measure? If you're too immersed you might never leave. But it doesn't explain why people might get turned off by it. Getting rid of taste definitely feels weird and out of place. Only thing I can think of is highly realistic games had such a backlash that they just ditched anything that was too immersive as part of a knee jerk overreaction.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if you want to know about the downsides to realistically recreating taste in a virtual environment, there's an entire episode of Real Drive about it!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hadn't watched the last couple of eps because the more the series is clearly an anime version of It's Always Sunny and Philadelphia the less interested I got, but I might get to them eventually.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hadn't watched the last couple of eps because the more the series is clearly an anime version of It's Always Sunny and Philadelphia the less interested I got, but I might get to them eventually.

poo poo, now I'm interested.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OVERLORD 4 OVERLORD 4 OVERLORD 4

https://mobile.twitter.com/over_lord_anime/status/1391001121414541312?s=19

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 8, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

if you want to know about the downsides to realistically recreating taste in a virtual environment, there's an entire episode of Real Drive about it!

This, excellent ep

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Grouchio posted:

:bisonyes:

Sounds like they're gonna do the next two LN arcs in the anime and the Holy Kingdom arc in a theatrical movie which I am 1000% hype about.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I do like is that they haven't just gone "Realistic RPG == Realistic fantasy world" and called it a day. There's enough game elements prevalent to remind you it's still an RPG (Eg; There are blatant events and triggers), it's just a bad RPG.

I think the world building is excellent; I love seeing how the game isn't so much janky or broken, but designed in the worst ways possible. My problem is that the humor just kind of falls flat, and I think that's because the only character likeable enough for me to be invested in is Leona.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
She just wants to have fun in her janky game with friends :3:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grouchio posted:

I'm a tasteless nerd who definitely watches too much isekai, but I didn't continue Overlord past its first season. Is it worth catching up?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't know

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Could you repeat the question?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brutal Garcon posted:

I'm a tasteless nerd who definitely watches too much isekai, but I didn't continue Overlord past its first season. Is it worth catching up?

Season 1 is kind of the high point if you liked things being somewhat goofy as your MC fumbles around scared of all his incredibly evil followers. The later seasons take a more "no, we're actually all incredibly evil and willing to exploit anyone not part of Nazarick" tact and can be kind of uncomfortable to watch if you're not 100% on board with that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I stopped watching when I figured things were not going to go well for the (season 2 people?) Lizardfolk who I adored and didn't want to see anything bad happen to them. :smith:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

I took it as it just being pretty rare for an rpg to bother including it. After all, the hardware has the functionality for it, so maybe it's mostly just used in cooking games or something and an RPG would be expected to just not give a poo poo because "delicious food" is not the point of the game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, slime stories has sold me.

https://youtu.be/R4pS3JdLp5o

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

I stopped watching when I figured things were not going to go well for the (season 2 people?) Lizardfolk who I adored and didn't want to see anything bad happen to them. :smith:

They fare better than any of the humans do in season 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nemo2342 posted:

Season 1 is kind of the high point if you liked things being somewhat goofy as your MC fumbles around scared of all his incredibly evil followers. The later seasons take a more "no, we're actually all incredibly evil and willing to exploit anyone not part of Nazarick" tact and can be kind of uncomfortable to watch if you're not 100% on board with that.

Kinda? The show generally does okay at keeping the core cast looking like they're being decent people when interacting with one-another and their vassal states like the village, the show just likes to make a very firm reminder about once a season that these people are evil.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kinda? The show generally does okay at keeping the core cast looking like they're being decent people when interacting with one-another and their vassal states like the village, the show just likes to make a very firm reminder about once a season that these people are evil.

Personally I've just found each season harder to watch than the last as they ramp up just how intense the evil reminders are and the MC becomes more and more on board with it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My biggest complaint was that they weren't evil enough. They're getting into it by the last season but that's what I was expecting from the start

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Brutal Garcon posted:

I felt like Season 1 was a high point because there's a lot of trepidation about the world, how it jives with Yggdrasil's systems, and Ainz' broken-rear end powers.

It set stuff up that hasn't gotten a payoff (who hosed with Shalltear), but S2 and 3 are more about Ainz setting Nazarick up as a power player in the world. As a result, there's a lot of using characters and glee over poo poo like "oh drat, looks like the mindflayers went straight for the children and orphans... hm... oh, I guess their Ultimate Sorrow might be good to bottle for future use. Albedo, be sure to experiment on the survivors" that (as others said) remind you they're loving evil shits.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if I wanted to read about horrible monsters crushing societies and slaughtering children I'd just follow the news.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reading that stuff in fiction is different because fiction isnt real

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
watching imaginary people get emotionally and/or pyhsically obliterated is hilarious

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm still on the Bad Athletes ReSTART train, and nearing the halfway point for both it and the original series i think it's safe to say ReSTART is a casualty of ambition. at half the length of the OG series it's juggling a cast of roughly the same size without making concessions OG did like having just pure comedy no-development characters. add onto that pile ReSTART's two larger plotlines regarding the shadow govt and Lunar Civil War/terrorism splitting some time from contestants and their competitions and its no wonder it feels like a mess even when actually having built some decent dynamics. like i enjoyed this week's episode setting Kanata/Shelly as ReSTART's take on OG's Akari/Ichino, and Yana's ongoing struggle with her relationships to both a Lunar terrorist and Lydia as the heir to the company dealing arms to the Moon. but even that stuff could've been executed better.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Overlord's most consistent element is obviously being written as serial fiction with no longer plan and only very minimal edits made to make it more coherent. So it's ability to hold a consistent tone or even quality of writing will never extend beyond a single plot beat. Like more so than normal for light novel adaptations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Overlord’s quality goes way up whenever Ainz isn’t the focus. He works great as a catalyst for having other stuff happen in the story, but not so much as a main character because he never seems to progress any further towards his supposed goal of figuring out what exactly happened to him.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So much of the plot of Overlord that I've seen seems to solely exist to gratuitously show how overpowered Nazarick is compared to everything else, killing any ounce of tension or reason to care (for me at least). If that changes past season 1 I'll take that back but from the spoilers I've seen I don't think it does.

TBH I feel like So I'm a Spider has kind of shown up other isekai with overpowered protagonists for me, even the 'good' ones. Seeing Kumoko have to earn every inch she gets through blood and ingenuity makes it feel so much better when she eventually gets really strong right in time for her to get the poo poo kicked out of her again. Watching Slime and Spider side by side last season really impressed upon me how little I've cared about the former since the Orc Lord arc and I keep finding myself comparing the two series, to Slimes detriment.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Nephthys posted:

So much of the plot of Overlord that I've seen seems to solely exist to gratuitously show how overpowered Nazarick is compared to everything else, killing any ounce of tension or reason to care (for me at least). If that changes past season 1 I'll take that back but from the spoilers I've seen I don't think it does.

Yeah it's boring as hell and it only gets worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
A second season of Love Live Nijigasaki was announced today during the 3rd Nijigasaki live event, scheduled to air next year