Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

Finally beat the second biome boss once the indicator around Selene finally showed up. the first 5 or so tries it didn't show up so i had no way to tell where it was coming from during phase 2.

got the hook shot now, game good

There's an indicator? :v:

I used the audio, the sound in this game is so loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carmant posted:

drat the Rotgland Lobber seems like an S tier weapon if you can get the overload timing down.

Even without really. The Explosive rot mod is ridiculous.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Alright i've tried grabbing every parasite I can every time but running through biome 1 like 6-7 times still no stupid scout log, I think it's really broken. Keep running into basically the same type of rooms but slightly different order

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is everyone’s thoughts on the launcher? I can’t decide if I like it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

veni veni veni posted:

The Thermogenic launcher? It’s alright at the start but really shines when you get Full Auto and/or Replicating hits on it. Flying enemies can be annoying though, especially those drat manta rays in Biome 1 since they can dodge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

the pyro launcher? worst gun in the game. terrible tracking, the delay on its explosions give inconsistent damage, and its raw damage is well outstripped by the rocket launcher or a sufficiently beefy dreadbound, let alone knock-on damage from a decent electropylon or rotgland

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Full auto on the Thermogenic launcher is just an audio treat. Lil cookie for the ears.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I made it to the boss of biome 3 and died in the last healthbar, very confusing. I'm sure there's something I was missing, it was the first time I fought the boss after all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I got a full auto thermogenic at like level 18 that had massive damage with the only downside being reload speed. With overloads that meant basically no downside.

It made the rest of the run pretty silly. Midbosses dying in like 2 clips.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok I guess my thoughts on the launcher weren’t me rushing to judgment haha.

Just got the third boss down and we literally KOed each other at the same time, like I killed him and maybe a tenth of a second later one of his projectiles nailed me at a sliver of Health. Luckily the game threw me a bone for once and I guess I was invincible in that moment lol so I got to beat him. Christ.

Like all of the boss fights so far it was fun and amazing to look at, but god his health bar is too drat huge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Just got the third boss down and we literally KOed each other at the same time, like I killed him and maybe a tenth of a second later one of his projectiles nailed me at a sliver of Health. Luckily the game threw me a bone for once and I guess I was invincible in that moment lol so I got to beat him. Christ.

Like all of the boss fights so far it was fun and amazing to look at, but god his health bar is too drat huge.

clarifying - the thermogenic/rocket launcher needs a little love but it's a perfectly nice gun, i'd say it's middle tier. the grenade launcher equivalent that you'll find later is the pits

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, I had a really high-damage gun in my attempt, and each life bar took a while to chunk down. Thankfully his attack patterns weren't too difficult, so I was able to get to the last phase anyway (despite only having 1 large healing item), but dang.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Played way too much of this game today and finished my gimmick full-auto playthrough. I only ever picked up the carbine and hollowseeker so those were the only guns I'd get from chests/enemies (with the occasional sidearm). Reached the credits with just 3 deaths in just 7:00:45.

Returnal is probably 10 all-time for me; goddamn does the gameplay feel great. I'd commit shameful acts for more guns and rooms and enemies. Get on it Housemarque.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm sure I posted already but 3rd boss in phase 3 just keep jumping and grappling platforms and you'll dodge just about everything, I don't think i've ever taken fall damage even after falling a long time. You can't get hit during the grapple. I usually stay in the back of the platforms so it gives more time to react to the attacks.

Phase 2 is actually his hardest to dodge imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17TR0agwXk0

infraboy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 9, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Hollowseeker and Electropylon Driver are my top 2 guns, the blobber is 3rd, the pistol is actually quite good with certain perks especially vs the flying poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phase three of the third boss actually felt chill compared to the first two phases imo.

I don’t think the hollow seeker is a good gun for him because of the slow bullet travel. Took me like 10 minutes to drop him maybe more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s no reason I need to keep playing 4 after 3 right? I need a break. This is a hard checkpoint right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

There’s no reason I need to keep playing 4 after 3 right? I need a break. This is a hard checkpoint right?

yes it is

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K thanks

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I mentioned orange doors before use the blade boost artifact, but I forgot to mention one other one I didn't realize at first

there are (minor gameplay spoiler) breakable walls, hit them with the sword a few times to break, I thought they were only in the third area, but I found one in the first as well

Now someone tell me how to get those items below that 3rd area room I posted earlier :mad:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd also like to know how to get into that room waaaaay above the biome 5 entrance

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also is there any way to get across the red floors without taking damage?

e: nevermind, I was wondering what that blank slot was, it's missable!

there's a key locked permanent suit upgrade :downs:

victrix fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 9, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yeah you get all the cool stuff late game

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I beat the main story last night using the rocket launcher with the automatic fire mod on it. Thing just shreds most enemies although the lock on can be slightly unreliable. I had a ton of fun with this game and I'm gonna try to get those extra collectables until I get bored at least. I think it was 23 hours and 28 deaths.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm at 80 hours at least looking for two more collectables for the platinum so hopefully you have better luck that me. This scout log 9 is CRAP and seemingly nonexistant

infraboy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 9, 2021

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

That's awesome! I'm glad you're sticking with it in spite of the updates screwing you over a couple times. I've been lucky and haven't had any issues with crashes/software updates myself but I still feel like the lack of a mid-run save is pretty inexcusable. Hopefully something gets done about in a future patch.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have still yet to find a dead player. What am I missing? I am online and have the latest patch and a fuckton of friends playing it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I only saw dead players during the brief period of the broken update.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

infraboy posted:

Alright i've tried grabbing every parasite I can every time but running through biome 1 like 6-7 times still no stupid scout log, I think it's really broken. Keep running into basically the same type of rooms but slightly different order

I think there's one pretty far off in one of biome 1's big open rooms that requires the visor to get to. I know that's what triggered the trophy for me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game looks amazing everywhere but god drat the art design in the third area is incredible

The final area is no slouch either but it's 2spooky4me :ohdear:

Working on surveys, pray for my log 9

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I just had an hour long run sandbagged by a hard crash. 300% integrity, a killer weapon, and almost a dozen artifacts. I was sure I was going to beat biome 3 this time.

I think I’ll just console command myself into a good build if they haven’t patched that out.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I was able to beat the game in about 20 hours, 24 deaths. Probably pretty average. But drat once you know how to play the game, it really gets much easier to run. Just did my first 1-3 clear with next to no issues, with a poo poo ton of artifacts and money and protection boost. Protection really is the OP stat of the game it seems, as it lets you eat shots without much concern.

But also my game start chugging regularly with frame dips as I'm always afraid to shut the game down :D

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've only had one crash in the game and that was on day 1, luckily pretty inconsequential

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So the Coilspine Shredder isn't the sort of gun I usually like. But it does have an incredibly good trait: Adrenaline Discs gives you a chance to increase your adrenaline level on hit. Combine it with an adrenaline healing artifact and it will completely trivialize boss fights even if you're taking hits.

Oh and Adrenaline Disc can trigger off shooting destructible scenery too, apparently.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Was really close to finishing tonight but I ate poo poo in a bonus room right before (I think?) the boss of the final area. Those fuckers who can curse you with malfunctions gave my dash like a 20 second cooldown and completely removed all of my integrity upgrades. I survived but I was way too gimped to go any further. Seems harsh to put something like that so close to the end, but I also kind of like that they went all out with this last zone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the typhonops in biome 6 may be harder than the actual boss, between their malfunction abilities (watch out for the bloodred projectiles) and their "melee" attack that takes off 3/4's of your life. i put melee in quotes because they can close a football field's worth of distance in an eyeblink

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh apparently the biome location of each enemy is a suggestion rather than a rule. I used a translocation sphere in biome 1 and was greeted by a Malformed Severed. :stare:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It took me 17 hours to hit the credits and the only bug I had was the sound having an underwater quality during one battle before resolving itself in the following room. This is an extremely high quality release despite Housemarque's inexplicable gently caress ups with the patches.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Thundarr posted:

So the Coilspine Shredder isn't the sort of gun I usually like. But it does have an incredibly good trait: Adrenaline Discs gives you a chance to increase your adrenaline level on hit. Combine it with an adrenaline healing artifact and it will completely trivialize boss fights even if you're taking hits.

Oh and Adrenaline Disc can trigger off shooting destructible scenery too, apparently.

That gun showed up with that trait randomly at the crash site on B4 for me just now. Seemed like an ok gun, but I had just come off something very similar with the rotlobber unlocking explosive rot which is :stare:

I had a relatively chill night of playing, knowing that there was no way that I was going to make any real serious push forward tonight I just ran around unlocking a bunch of gun traits and building an ether hoard. Not a terrible way to spend your time, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Thundarr posted:

Oh apparently the biome location of each enemy is a suggestion rather than a rule. I used a translocation sphere in biome 1 and was greeted by a Malformed Severed. :stare:

Huh.