Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
How so very dare the minimum wage worker selling tickets not know technical terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbQqQhUPESU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'll watch basically anything with Katt Williams in it but this was interesting enough to make me want to watch the first movie (which I've never seen) so mission accomplished I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first movies not that bad, it’s not that good either, but it has its moments.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dillbag posted:

Fuckin' lol I saw Tree of Life on opening weekend and everyone sat politely as the first couple of minutes of the film played back in complete silence (because it's Malick and I guess people were thinking "ok, there's no sound at the beginning, it's an artsty fartsy thing"). Eventually a lady a few seats over saw me looking really confused and she asked me "do you think there's supposed to be sound here?".

I walked out of the theater and asked the ticket guy "Hey, is the first couple of minutes of Tree of Life supposed to be MOS?". He looked at me like I was speaking in loving tongues so I told him "dude the sound is off in theater three". He go on his radio and said something like "uhhhh hey Jerry, some guy says there's no sound in theater three" and lo and behold as I was walking back to my seat there was a loud static burst followed by the sounds of lovely-looking CGI dinosaurs fighting as the idiot projectionist plugged the audio patch cable back in.

lmao

that mustve been excruciating, dont the dinos come in at like the halfway point?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

The first movies not that bad, it’s not that good either, but it has its moments.

I mean, this movie apparently has the conflict begin when the black main character who is married to a white woman tries to sic the cops onto his black neighbor. Also the vampire hates cops and wants to pay for your college tuition. And is Snoop Dog.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Yeah, but you went on to marry her so it's also a really sweet story? Seriously tho, what a wonderful scenario to have as a playground on a first date. Walk out out the cinema, have the energy be tense and odd between you, get to the car and loiter for a moment... "WELL, I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM" then telegraphed ten miles in advance, make a slow, animated move in for a kiss. Mmm, I'd have spun gold from that straw.

Lol Michael Fassbender crying and fuckong flashing thru both of your minds

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I went to see Tree of Life on a first date. I was into it, she probably wasnt as much. Anyway, the couple behind us were something else, the dude was super not into it.

He kept angry-whispering to his date "ugh this is boring" and she was like "shush, it's good!", then they'd be quiet for another 20+ minutes. Every time I'm thinking, next time I'm gonna tell him to shut up but it just peters out & I get back into the movie. Eventually she's like "you wanna leave?" and he was like "nah its probably over soon" lmao

Honestly happy I dont have to go thru this anymore. Id always just get super pissed at someone else ruining everyone else's 20 dollar experience by talking loudly or whatever and i d manage to say something at the end of the movie after stewing over it for 2 hrs and it coming out way too aggressive

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

How so very dare the minimum wage worker selling tickets not know technical terms.

Yeah I mean in hindsight it was just instinctual to say that, it's definitely unlikely that he would know what the hell I was saying. But then again, the dude that's working under me on a Disney movie used to manage a chain theater. And a co-worker hired a barista who worked at his neighborhood Starbucks because they would talk about movies when he went for a coffee, and the guy was the best P.A. I've ever worked with.

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao

that mustve been excruciating, dont the dinos come in at like the halfway point?

I may be misremembering but it was definitely after the birth of the universe poo poo at the beginning of the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1390748509499011076

Legit laugh out loud from me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

(There are two threads with this discussion so I can't keep track of which)

I saw The Matrix on opening night and *goddamn* - just 2 straight hours of the audience realizing they were witnessing a pretty historic cinematic moment.

Hard same, there was just this vibe in the theater seeing that opening night. There were actual gasps during Trinity's rotating-shot jump kick. After Neo said "I know kung-fu" there was some guy who just stage whispered "gently caress yeah". There was no hootin' and hollerin' , just a room full of people who couldn't take their eyes from the screen. There was a feeling of wonder hanging over the entire theater. Best experience I've had in a theater.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

caligulamprey posted:

Hell yeah, I wanna Paul Verhoeven Nunsploitation movie!

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-31QJXV3iA :nws:

See, this is justice. I'm down for it. The satire is that this is everything parodies make fun of serious movies about. Clearly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

Hard same, there was just this vibe in the theater seeing that opening night. There were actual gasps during Trinity's rotating-shot jump kick. After Neo said "I know kung-fu" there was some guy who just stage whispered "gently caress yeah". There was no hootin' and hollerin' , just a room full of people who couldn't take their eyes from the screen. There was a feeling of wonder hanging over the entire theater. Best experience I've had in a theater.

I was one of the first people to see it in the UK, my friend won two tickets to a premiere, and as it was my birthday too he invited me.
We were so hyped afterward we walked the 3 or so miles home talking about it instead of taking a taxi.
And my friend was the only one who shouted 'gently caress yeah' when Trinity did her 'dodge this'.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 9, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Haven't seen the first, but this starts outs like a potentially great take/remake of The 'Burbs, but ends up look liking a poo poo Scary Movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezfi6FQ8Ds

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I honestly didn't even know they had started filming yet. So this was a nice surprise this morning.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

No Green Jello song, no deal.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Red band trailer for Love Death and Robots - the quality/visuals look to be good step up from the last volume.

And it comes out in .. checks notes 3 days? Wow, where did the time go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUaXtfAFva8

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The opening makes me think they should have Taika Waititi write and direct this as a comedy

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I forgot how weird Tom Hardy's accent is in Venom.

Aaand it's directed by Andy Serkis? Weird.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Venom was exactly my kind of trash, so yeah, I'm in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6ksY8xWCY

Gimme.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Holy poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vegetable posted:

The opening makes me think they should have Taika Waititi write and direct this as a comedy

The jokes might actually land if that was the case. It's so loving monkey-cheese, fanfiction-y.

God, I cannot loving wait for this!! Looks amazing!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 11, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm so glad this is finally coming out. Awesome trailer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A joke it wasn't released on VOD.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

My god it cannot possibly live up to my expectations. It looks mind obliteratingly good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I audibly yelped when the fox started talking

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hey I remember seeing the teaser for this film! But I'm gonna be honest, I can't really figure out what the premise of it is, can someone explain?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Parrotine posted:

Hey I remember seeing the teaser for this film! But I'm gonna be honest, I can't really figure out what the premise of it is, can someone explain?

It's based on this Arthurian story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Parrotine posted:

"In Camelot on New Year's Day, King Arthur's court is exchanging gifts and waiting for the feasting to start when the king asks to see or hear of an exciting adventure. A gigantic figure, entirely green in appearance and riding a green horse, rides unexpectedly into the hall. He wears no armour but bears an axe in one hand and a holly bough in the other. Refusing to fight anyone there on the grounds that they are all too weak to take him on, he insists he has come for a friendly Christmas game: someone is to strike him once with his axe on the condition that the Green Knight may return the blow in a year and a day.[4] The splendid axe will belong to whoever accepts this deal. Arthur himself is prepared to accept the challenge when it appears no other knight will dare, but Sir Gawain, youngest of Arthur's knights and his nephew, asks for the honour instead. The giant bends and bares his neck before him and Gawain neatly beheads him in one stroke. However, the Green Knight neither falls nor falters, but instead reaches out, picks up his severed head and remounts, holding up his bleeding head to Queen Guinevere while its writhing lips remind Gawain that the two must meet again at the Green Chapel. He then rides away. Gawain and Arthur admire the axe, hang it up as a trophy and encourage Guinevere to treat the whole matter lightly.

As the date approaches, Sir Gawain sets off to find the Green Chapel and keep his side of the bargain."

There's more on the page of this Arthurian legend, but it may contain spoilers for the movie!: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Gawain_and_the_Green_Knight

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 11, 2021

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
By coincidence, I just listened to the History of English Podcast episode on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. The whole series is great if you're at all into history or language, but this episode goes over the poem the story comes from.

https://historyofenglishpodcast.com/2019/11/25/episode-131-sir-gawain-and-the-green-knight/

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Huh, well that's an interesting story, never knew of that legend before. Hopefully it does pretty well, A24 seem to have a solid track record.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thread title checks out.

Seriously, though, trailer is great, movie looks incredible. I loved reading the story when I was younger. I can't wait for this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thrawn527 posted:

Thread title checks out.

Seriously, though, trailer is great, movie looks incredible. I loved reading the story when I was younger. I can't wait for this.

:same: chaos. reigns.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's by the director of Ghost Story, Old Man and the Gun, and Pete's Dragon. He's currently directing Peter Pan and Wendy for Disney starting Jude Law as Captain Hook.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like drat, im a big fan of the green knight and it looks like i am going to be a big fan of the green knight as well

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

I audibly yelped when the fox started talking

Chaos reigns

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Green Knight looks good but I also kinda wish its shots looked.. more badass? The posters have been looking so ace that the trailer seems almost underwhelming by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think "badass" is what they're going for. I'm getting more "enigmatic."