Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Vib Rib posted:

But otherwise yes, any place that's cleared of zombies will stay that way. You can always have others wandering in from the (uncleared) and following you but if you clear like an entire town and just hang out in the middle you won't see any new zombies.
Worth mentioning that clearing towns is often a long and laborious affair that carries the risk of making you burn-out on the game. I usually end up clearing the closest town to my base if it isn't too big but I'm unlikely to ever do it again. I just stick to clearing the way into whatever specific locations I want to loot after that.

After getting sorta shafted with my island start I've grown to like the water-heavy map I've gotten. Never played one before and the restrictions on effecient travel are interesting to me. I'll get back to my crappy starter boat and check if my version of the game lets me boat past bridges. If yes then I'll look into building a proper gun-boat to roam with. Gonna take a while though because I have a lot of points of interest to explore. Never found a strange temple before but I assume it's janky content? Also there is a mi-go base on an island so I know where I can go if I want to rip&tear later on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like clearing a town once during a playthrough since there's usually a short window between getting kitted up and the zombie evolution getting serious

It is never worth it though. There is nothing you can get from a cleared town that you can't get sneaking into a full one at night

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I only tend to clear a couple blocks around my in-town base. Ideally though I prefer to settle early in a small town that's only a few blocks total anyway, in which case, two birds with one stone. Then just use that as staging to make runs to other, larger towns in the area.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm still pretty new, and I don't know what map-gen looks like in general, especially if you zoom out.

But one thing I noticed is that if you do Magiclysm with the island tower start, it tends to create a gigantic lake.
Do those mega-lakes exist normally?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm still pretty new, and I don't know what map-gen looks like in general, especially if you zoom out.

But one thing I noticed is that if you do Magiclysm with the island tower start, it tends to create a gigantic lake.
Do those mega-lakes exist normally?
They do, this scenario just makes you start in one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A good way to make a start on clearing a town is to drive your battlewagon repeatedly over crowds of zombies while leaning on the horn.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Clearing towns is easy and fast with automated laser turrets.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah I found a laser LMG somewhere or other and mounted it on my van and it basically destroys anything it sees with perfect accuracy.

The only way anything is a threat is if it's indoors and away from windows, or if I'm between the van and whatever it had decided to annihilate in which case it will happily murder me too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Generally I clear out the first town Im in just in the process of getting my kit together to leave, all other towns basically get cleared in a linear path to whatever I need. Its fairly simple to just absolutely demolish 99% of all zombies once you have gotten your first town cleared and get your gear.

You can also clear out zombies in a large radious by burning a house down, zeds hear the noise and come investigate and walk into the flames. You can also just make a big ole hole (as in one that drops a z level) and they will fall into it if you stand on the otherside.

If you have enough .50 cal ammo, and can make those turret control units, congrats nothing can touch you.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 8, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My only problem is that very quickly you end up in a situation where "a linear path to whatever I need" is nothing, because if I'm that capable there's not really anywhere left to go. Gun stores sometimes, but I'd have better luck finding ammo at military bases. Magic shops and wizard towers, but what the gently caress spell is going to compare with an automatic rifle?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Clearing towns is easy and fast with automated laser turrets.
Which version are you playing? I thought lasers were removed at some point

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

My only problem is that very quickly you end up in a situation where "a linear path to whatever I need" is nothing, because if I'm that capable there's not really anywhere left to go. Gun stores sometimes, but I'd have better luck finding ammo at military bases. Magic shops and wizard towers, but what the gently caress spell is going to compare with an automatic rifle?

It really depends on the goals you set for yourself, sometimes I need specific poo poo to make my mobile base work better or I need a book to make a specific craft or something.

Tin Tim posted:

Which version are you playing? I thought lasers were removed at some point

I just downloaded and loaded up the latest DDA experimental, created a world with zero mods (besides bionic professiona and no NPC Needa which were on by default) and there are several energy weapons I'm seeing in the debug menu, as well as corresponding mounted versions showing in the vehicle construction parts menu list.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I could swear there was something in regards to laser weaponry that got cut not too long ago. Maybe it was the lasers that you could build yourself and sorta infinitely power with solar panels? Don't quite remember but I'm pretty sure we bitched about it itt

Anyway my current game keeps showing me cool things I never saw before. Found a proper bandit camp in the woods with walls, tents, vehicles and eleven bandits that I sniped through the forest :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Used to be an A9(?) laser rifle that you could build from scrap after finding the right book in a lab. I put 9 of them on a deathmobile and poo poo was hilarious.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I could swear there was something in regards to laser weaponry that got cut not too long ago. Maybe it was the lasers that you could build yourself and sorta infinitely power with solar panels? Don't quite remember but I'm pretty sure we bitched about it itt

Anyway my current game keeps showing me cool things I never saw before. Found a proper bandit camp in the woods with walls, tents, vehicles and eleven bandits that I sniped through the forest :v:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Used to be an A9(?) laser rifle that you could build from scrap after finding the right book in a lab. I put 9 of them on a deathmobile and poo poo was hilarious.

Still two lasers that will run off vehicle power, so yes, solar panels would let you basically have infinite ammo.

A7 laser rifle I think and theres a pistol variant, both of them are still in the game.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Maybe my memory is bugged then? Could swear there was something but whatever :v:

I was just about to write off FEMA camps as a waste of time outside of nabbing a flamethrower but then I found a rivtech battle rifle in the armory and some autoclave pouches in the central structure. Chances for drops as those are hard to resist tbh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just cleared out a helicoptor landing pad and am now the owner of eight broken turrets. What's the process of extracting all of this unlimited ammo I keep hearing about? I tried to disassemble one of them and only managed to retrieve like two parts, is there a correlating stat I need to raise to make disassembling these work better?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just cleared out a helicoptor landing pad and am now the owner of eight broken turrets. What's the process of extracting all of this unlimited ammo I keep hearing about? I tried to disassemble one of them and only managed to retrieve like two parts, is there a correlating stat I need to raise to make disassembling these work better?

Turrets generally drop the ammo on death and iirc its only if they did not exhaust all their ammo before they died.

Check the part list of stuff you are supposed to get when you disassemble them, it's the same list you see when you are going to disassemble a flashlight or something. If it doesn't say ammo belts or whatever you wont get it from disassembly.

Also it's not stat, Im pretty sure that disassemble results are ultimately reliant on the health/durability of the item. If it's almost destroyed or damaged you get less poo poo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Turrets generally drop the ammo on death and iirc its only if they did not exhaust all their ammo before they died.

Check the part list of stuff you are supposed to get when you disassemble them, it's the same list you see when you are going to disassemble a flashlight or something. If it doesn't say ammo belts or whatever you wont get it from disassembly.

Also it's not stat, Im pretty sure that disassemble results are ultimately reliant on the health/durability of the item. If it's almost destroyed or damaged you get less poo poo.

Ohhh okay, yeah these must have been emptied out already. I got 60 ammo when I killed a few of them and I thought hmm there should be more here probably based on what I've been hearing. Or maybe Bright Nights fixed that so they're not a million free ammo.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Tin Tim posted:

Maybe my memory is bugged then? Could swear there was something but whatever :v:

I was just about to write off FEMA camps as a waste of time outside of nabbing a flamethrower but then I found a rivtech battle rifle in the armory and some autoclave pouches in the central structure. Chances for drops as those are hard to resist tbh

At some point I think there were solar powered laser turrets encountered randomly in roadblocks instead of lasers being tucked away in labs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ohhh okay, yeah these must have been emptied out already. I got 60 ammo when I killed a few of them and I thought hmm there should be more here probably based on what I've been hearing. Or maybe Bright Nights fixed that so they're not a million free ammo.
As far as I know Bright Nights changed them to only have around 60 ammo each. The idea was both that you could bait them to run out of ammo more easily and that destroying one wouldn't leave you completely set on ammo for life. In vanilla DDA, they used to drop 2,500 ammo each, but it was nerfed down to "only" 500.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

As far as I know Bright Nights changed them to only have around 60 ammo each. The idea was both that you could bait them to run out of ammo more easily and that destroying one wouldn't leave you completely set on ammo for life. In vanilla DDA, they used to drop 2,500 ammo each, but it was nerfed down to "only" 500.

Okay yeah that'll explain it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

To be fair if you kill one of the .50 cal ones and you just keep like 10 rounds with you, you can basically just one shot every turret and get way more ammo and keep the train rolling.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A belt-fed .50 sniper rifle is hilariously overkill but so much fun once you have 7+ skill.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Realistically, once you have .50 cal and a platform to use it you can do whatever.

.50 cal can also be used to break down those metal doors you normally need to torch or pick axe through.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are turrets tied to the zombie evolution scaling too? I have yet to see anything above small turrets that drop 9mm in Bright Nights

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Are turrets tied to the zombie evolution scaling too? I have yet to see anything above small turrets that drop 9mm in Bright Nights

Tied to spawn location I think. I believe how it works is that certain locations like shops or labs or whatever can spawn 9mm but military installations will have 5.56, 308 or .50 cal.

Buildings and finales and poo poo have a list of what can spawn in them.

I run BN and have been running into 9mm occasionally.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 10, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Mainline got rid of the small turrets and all of them were packing 5.56. It got a bit ridiculous.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
A sawn-off .50 sniper rifle with pistol grip has become an invaluable part of my endgame kit. So dumb yet so effective.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Dire Lemming posted:

A sawn-off .50 sniper rifle with pistol grip has become an invaluable part of my endgame kit. So dumb yet so effective.

As like, a holdout pistol?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dire Lemming posted:

i am giggling like an idiot picturing this in my head

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Right arm: ||||| -> |

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

A grown-up's obrez.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Xand_Man posted:

Depending on how much .50 ammo I have either a holdout pistol or main short range gun. Far better against kevlar hulks and skeletal juggs than any 5.56 rifle and also can destroy metal doors so you don't need to carry a jackhammer down into labs if you fail a door hack.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Dire Lemming posted:

Oh my god why have I never done this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Oh my god why have I never done this.

In the game or IRL?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sawn-off sniper rifle, why I never. What's next, a sawn-off rocket launcher? :v:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Coolguye posted:

i am giggling like an idiot picturing this in my head

I'm picturing it as the fold-out rifle from Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How exactly do you mod a 50 cal rifle with a pistol grip and sawn barrel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

use a hacksaw and choose the option to saw down the barrel, and use the pistol grip mod.