Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I took a trike from Mountain Knot to Lake Knot, because I had a highway. I also finished the pizza mission on my way back to the endgame, which was a real punch in the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
The crossing of the tar belt is one of the best set pieces I've seen in a game. That whole section was wild.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It was really good, but also unintuitive. I hadn't gotten caught all game, so it took me a long time to figure out how to cross it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I had gotten caught a few times but I still had no idea what the game wanted me to do there. I eventually had to look up a video. I can safely say I would never have figured that out on my own

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
It was hinted at on an email by heartman (?) I think like just before arriving to the edge. But yea, looking around and the unusual positioning of BTs also hinted on it pretty heavily.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You'll also find a lot of stuff from other players on that part of the beach. To me that was a hint that a lot of people got caught there.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Whats the deal with the recycling menu pop-up? It shows ”bridget foundation” and completely differebt design than the rest of bridges/UCA stuff. Is it intentional, or old material that somehow ended in the game?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Valtonen posted:

It was hinted at on an email by heartman (?) I think like just before arriving to the edge. But yea, looking around and the unusual positioning of BTs also hinted on it pretty heavily.

die hardman will mull it over and eventually tell you outright to get caught if you hang around enough

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Valtonen posted:

Whats the deal with the recycling menu pop-up? It shows ”bridget foundation” and completely differebt design than the rest of bridges/UCA stuff. Is it intentional, or old material that somehow ended in the game?

It's intentional, but it's been a year since I touched this game so I don't remember exactly what the Bridget Foundation is. It gets mentioned once or twice in emails and cutscenes, I think.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

as I recall the foundation is under the umbrella of the UCA. they use it and bridget's face as the UCA's public relations mascot or something like that

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of charity you're "donating" to when recycling. Just a bit of half-baked lore.

night slime
May 14, 2014
There's barely any political infrastructure left so it kinda makes sense the president would be in a recycling ad campaign, in a mayoral sort of way

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I get it but it's slightly annoying after the 10th recycle or so. But, it's thematic and I guess those 5 seconds of mashing the skip button help to world build.

Same with resting in the private room. Yeah, after the first 20 times I get the process. I wonder if hardware loading times had any input on these decisions.

Lastly, I was enjoying timefall porter but they start slipping stupid energy drink back into Sam's private room! Is there a way to refresh myself with brewskies? Do more timefall farm missions perhaps?

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Started a new playthrough on Very Hard some time back

Game still rules, and the increased wear on shoes, timefall, and stamina on very hard are actually pretty cool. Made some trips a lot more challenging and forced me to think more about my equipment and routing. Mules are also an actual threat now and I have to try and sneak take out a bunch instead of running in guns blazing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

palindrome posted:

I get it but it's slightly annoying after the 10th recycle or so. But, it's thematic and I guess those 5 seconds of mashing the skip button help to world build.

Same with resting in the private room. Yeah, after the first 20 times I get the process. I wonder if hardware loading times had any input on these decisions.

Lastly, I was enjoying timefall porter but they start slipping stupid energy drink back into Sam's private room! Is there a way to refresh myself with brewskies? Do more timefall farm missions perhaps?

Do another beer delivery mission and they'll restock.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

palindrome posted:

Same with resting in the private room. Yeah, after the first 20 times I get the process. I wonder if hardware loading times had any input on these decisions

If anything it doesn't really make in world sense why you can create your own private rooms out in the wild. I would have liked if the cities and distro centres provide a service for you that you couldn't get anywhere else. Why else is it such a big deal that you can rest in a prepper shelter at five stars?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bony tony posted:

If anything it doesn't really make in world sense why you can create your own private rooms out in the wild. I would have liked if the cities and distro centres provide a service for you that you couldn't get anywhere else. Why else is it such a big deal that you can rest in a prepper shelter at five stars?

I sorta agree but seeing a private room on top of a mountain after a tough delivery is very much appreciated.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The rooms you can build cost a lot of bandwidth better spent on more ziplines

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

let's say I have no interest in being a fedex or doordash delivery guy

is this game still fun? or at least, engaging and emotionally interesting?

I liked MGS:V for what it's worth (yes I know it's a different style of game). eyeballing DS on sale at epic right now

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

pmchem posted:

I liked MGS:V for what it's worth (yes I know it's a different style of game). eyeballing DS on sale at epic right now
if you're saying you have no interest in taking things from point A to point B then no because that is literally most of the game

Are you asking if the game is fun and engaging even though it's a lot of taking things from point A to point B? Then yes.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

pmchem posted:

Do you like Solving a puzzle of reaching a certain goal, or to optimize the order of multiple tasks? Do you like a plot that opens very, very slowly and runs on giving you hints and showing little by little the workd around you?

If Yes, Then you propably will. Also If you like the vibe of desolation and breathing loneliness you will enjoy it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In MGSV terms I would probably describe the game as being a little bit like playing the subsistence missions, in that you spend a lot of time walking through barren rocky wasteland, occasionally avoiding things that will kill you. Also the walking has actual mechanics to it to make up for the (relative) dearth of shooting people in the face.

If you like playing MGSV quite slowly and methodically, you will probably find something to like about death stranding. If you like how Extremely Kojima MGSV is, then death stranding is Maximum Kojima. It is more kojima that you ever thought possible.

The actual gameplay and feel of the game kind of shifts towards the end though so I would struggle to tell anybody that they would like it all the way through, because I think if you really like the first parts the later parts might be less fun for you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You can definitely get lost in some kind of logistics strategy game doing mid-game sidequests where you're planning out a route and balancing how many parcels you're going to bring against how much equipment you're going to bring to help you on your way. I really enjoyed that aspect so (without providing spoilers) the lean towards shooty shooty in the later chapters felt a little less engaging.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mostly just didn't like the reduced focus on terrain navigation.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, less than $15, I'm gambling on it being worth that much for my time. bought'd

I do like me some kojima

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please do share how the High Impact Kojima affected your life and brain when it happens.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

I mostly just didn't like the reduced focus on terrain navigation.

While I really enjoyed the increased efficiency that my road / zipline network brought, I kind of feel it ruined the game for me by letting me ignore so many mechanics.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

pmchem posted:

ok, less than $15, I'm gambling on it being worth that much for my time. bought'd

I do like me some kojima

Congrats, you just bought the MAXIMUM KOJIMA. This is by far his magnum opus.

Come to think of it, I dont think Its an elaboration to have him in the credits the 15 times like he is; this game could not exist without kojima for multiple reasons. Biggest ofc being that anyone else trying to peddle this would be called out before critical mass of people tried tried and liked it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah some people have said that this game is proof that Kojima needs someone to tell him no, and I say gently caress that, this game kicks rear end BECAUSE he got to make exactly what he wanted

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party Boat posted:

While I really enjoyed the increased efficiency that my road / zipline network brought, I kind of feel it ruined the game for me by letting me ignore so many mechanics.

I feel like by that point it's sort of the game telling you to get on with things. You've already mastered everything it's going to throw at you, there's not a lot of point making you keep having to jump through the same hoops to finish everything off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

For me it was also the exos, they all, but especially the all terrain one, just basically make you into the terminator who can sprint over anything.

I really think the later gameplay would have been enhanced by a greater focus on navigating very dense terrain and utilizing ropes and ladders more, and less on "equip mandatory legs that let you walk up mountains"

The first trip out, i think, is the best one, and the game seems to spend a lot of the subsequent time giving you excuses not to engage with those mechanics again, rather than giving you even more interesting terrain to deal with.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I understand the argument, but vehemently disagree with it, that this game is "just" a delivery simulator. Even with setting the plot and combat aside, the delivery aspect is so much more. You don't just walk from A to B, you also think and feel your way from A to B. One of the bravest things this game did, I think, was to make it both dull and engaging to trek across the game world. And I say this as someone who would happily remove all the BT and Mule encounters from the game if I could and it wouldn't lessen the impact at all.

To me, Death Stranding differs from other open world games in that in any other game, despite how beautiful the world may be like in, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll still sprint or ride my way through it to get to the good part. The world is cool and all, but it's just backdrop. In Death Stranding, the world is as much an element as anything else is. Overall, DS might be blander than other open world games, but that's only because it elevates the backdrop to be a much more significant part of the greater whole and it has none of the "let's just get to the next place as soon as possible" stuff.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Yeah some people have said that this game is proof that Kojima needs someone to tell him no, and I say gently caress that, this game kicks rear end BECAUSE he got to make exactly what he wanted

its so clearly his magnum opus what is wrong with that person

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

So you're saying Komjima should.. "Keep on keepin' on"?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stare-Out posted:

I understand the argument, but vehemently disagree with it, that this game is "just" a delivery simulator. Even with setting the plot and combat aside, the delivery aspect is so much more. You don't just walk from A to B, you also think and feel your way from A to B. One of the bravest things this game did, I think, was to make it both dull and engaging to trek across the game world. And I say this as someone who would happily remove all the BT and Mule encounters from the game if I could and it wouldn't lessen the impact at all.

To me, Death Stranding differs from other open world games in that in any other game, despite how beautiful the world may be like in, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll still sprint or ride my way through it to get to the good part. The world is cool and all, but it's just backdrop. In Death Stranding, the world is as much an element as anything else is. Overall, DS might be blander than other open world games, but that's only because it elevates the backdrop to be a much more significant part of the greater whole and it has none of the "let's just get to the next place as soon as possible" stuff.

Reading this makes me wonder if you'd like SnowRunner as much as I've ended up doing

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Reading this makes me wonder if you'd like SnowRunner as much as I've ended up doing

I've thought about getting it but it is a different kind of toil. Not necessarily a less appealing one at its core but it does lack the cool sci-fi setting and of course, Kojima. Still, I'll check it out if I get a chance.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I tried Mudrunner, because a friend told me I'd like it. Meh. The first thing you do is to reverse with a trailer and I can't do that. The terrain traversal is fine, but I miss the scifi trappings and giving live fish to weirdos in underground houses too much to really enjoy it. Also it didn't have BB.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Take things from point A to point B they said. A walking simulator they said" I mumble to myself as my entire cargo and my motorcycle lies in the bottom of a ravine and UPS death patrols are pinging me

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 22, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You should have been more careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Macaluso posted:

He didn't, though. Iirc he wanted the world to be way bigger, the game way longer, etc. I'm sure he was told 'no' plenty of times during the development process of DS, too.