Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Timotheous Venture posted:

That's awesome! I'm glad you're sticking with it in spite of the updates screwing you over a couple times. I've been lucky and haven't had any issues with crashes/software updates myself but I still feel like the lack of a mid-run save is pretty inexcusable. Hopefully something gets done about in a future patch.

Thanks, yeah. I had no intention to quit. I really do love the game. just a really frustrating week losing most of my runs to rest mode. I really hope they find some better solution soon. Mostly was just using the PS5 thread to vent I think I lost about 8-10 hours total over the course of the week because of it. it really sucked, but I had the time today, made some real progress and auto updates are off. I'm ready to get frustrated by the game for the right reasons again now instead of because of it breaking on me lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Arkage posted:

I was able to beat the game in about 20 hours, 24 deaths. Probably pretty average. But drat once you know how to play the game, it really gets much easier to run. Just did my first 1-3 clear with next to no issues, with a poo poo ton of artifacts and money and protection boost. Protection really is the OP stat of the game it seems, as it lets you eat shots without much concern.

But also my game start chugging regularly with frame dips as I'm always afraid to shut the game down :D

My main issues right now are I find barely any artifacts, protection ungraded and never seem to have enough money. I'm in biome 5 getting my rear end kicked.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Not sure if it'll be of any help to anyone, but it seems as though some of the scout logs appear as a result of things you do in the game. Number 10 for example showed up for us when we had collected a bunch of parasites in biome 1, and I pretty sure another only showed up when I used a reconstructor in one of the biomes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When you get to 100% on one of the gun buffs like Crucial Hit, what does that do?

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

KingKapalone posted:

When you get to 100% on one of the gun buffs like Crucial Hit, what does that do?

If I’m understanding the question right, the traits actually don’t unlock until you hit that 100%, and then they’re permanently in the pool of potential traits for the gun to have.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Seymour Buttz posted:

If I’m understanding the question right, the traits actually don’t unlock until you hit that 100%, and then they’re permanently in the pool of potential traits for the gun to have.

They keep showing up even if they're at 45% or whatever though. I see them in the databank list for the gun but I don't know what they provide unless I have a gun with that particular trait equipped.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

They keep showing up even if they're at 45% or whatever though. I see them in the databank list for the gun but I don't know what they provide unless I have a gun with that particular trait equipped.

they don’t take effect until they hit 100%

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh god drat it. I had a great run through biomes 4-6 getting the post-game key fragments in one go. I thought I could be done with it, but apparently I need one more run.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Yeah to further break down what the other person said just now - when the trait shows a percentage, you haven’t unlocked it yet and by using that gun you’ll increase the percentage until it hits 100% and the trait actually unlocks.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I really enjoy all of the game part of this but boy did I hate the story and ending. Stylistically everything looks great and the story unfolds in a really great way but the story itself is not at all what I wanted. Ambiguous Lost dying dream, purgatory, paradox, whatever interpretation you have of it story of grief is just is not what I wanted out of this game.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm at 5 deaths and 7 hours. Not sure if it counts idle menu time since then it's probably 6 hours. Still haven't breath the first boss though. She had hot left and I died in the second time I got to her. I didn't get the astronaut on the run after the first time I got him. I couldn't go in the house that time. Is that random?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I'm at 5 deaths and 7 hours. Not sure if it counts idle menu time since then it's probably 6 hours. Still haven't breath the first boss though. She had hot left and I died in the second time I got to her. I didn't get the astronaut on the run after the first time I got him. I couldn't go in the house that time. Is that random?

the house sequences only pop after certain milestones, usually killing bosses

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

I really enjoy all of the game part of this but boy did I hate the story and ending. Stylistically everything looks great and the story unfolds in a really great way but the story itself is not at all what I wanted. Ambiguous Lost dying dream, purgatory, paradox, whatever interpretation you have of it story of grief is just is not what I wanted out of this game.

In absolutely any medium, for the last good number of years, when a story presents a sci-fi scenario which whoa also contains some weird contemporary normal life mystery aspect, 100% of the time it's not sci-fi at all is but some Jacob's Ladder style ish that merely uses the fantastic as wallpaper. Margin of error times a work will escape this trope trap but it's extremely tired and obvious now.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Rad Valtar posted:

My main issues right now are I find barely any artifacts, protection ungraded and never seem to have enough money. I'm in biome 5 getting my rear end kicked.

I’d say make sure you’re planning to get to an enemy right after killing it to get the money nearly every time, especially if it’s a bigger one, as it disappears quick. Dodge constantly on your way in and out of grabbing the money. I’m doing a 3-6 run now and it was a bit tough with protection -5% for this run (don’t even know why), very few healing items and not much in the way of beneficial artifacts. I had to spend some ether to get money to buy stuff like a healing item and astronaut, but ether is somewhat common in these areas if you make sure to run every path. Also prioritize using weapons with protection (hardened) or health leech, or if neither of those are available than use weapons that do DOT so you can fire a few times then run/dodge away, repeat.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 9, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lawlicaust posted:

yeah it sucks a lot and it'll be interesting to see how this game is remembered once the majority of people have gotten through it

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was really hoping Selene was caught in some Alien infinite time loop but after the 3rd Biome it's clearly something internal

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

veni veni veni posted:

Phase three of the third boss actually felt chill compared to the first two phases imo.

I don’t think the hollow seeker is a good gun for him because of the slow bullet travel. Took me like 10 minutes to drop him maybe more.

I respectfully disagree that the hollowseeker isn't a good gun for boss 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PusUPbSJ8

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Arkage posted:

I’d say make sure you’re planning to get to an enemy right after killing it to get the money nearly every time, especially if it’s a bigger one, as it disappears quick. Dodge constantly on your way in and out of grabbing the money. I’m doing a 3-6 run now and it was a bit tough with protection -5% for this run (don’t even know why), very few healing items and not much in the way of beneficial artifacts. I had to spend some ether to get money to buy stuff like a healing item and astronaut, but ether is somewhat common in these areas if you make sure to run every path. Also prioritize using weapons with protection (hardened) or health leech, or if neither of those are available than use weapons that do DOT so you can fire a few times then run/dodge away, repeat.

What weapon types have health leech? I don’t remember seeing that.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
There's a leech rounds trait for the carbine but whenever I use it it seems to go off maybe once per 1.5 reloads, and not for very much. Higher ranks might be better but right now it involves lots of risk for little healing.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

cvnvcnv posted:

In absolutely any medium, for the last good number of years, when a story presents a sci-fi scenario which whoa also contains some weird contemporary normal life mystery aspect, 100% of the time it's not sci-fi at all is but some Jacob's Ladder style ish that merely uses the fantastic as wallpaper. Margin of error times a work will escape this trope trap but it's extremely tired and obvious now.

Yep, exactly.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

yeah it sucks a lot and it'll be interesting to see how this game is remembered once the majority of people have gotten through it

I still enjoy the gameplay and hope that people will see it as helping to push the roguelike genre forward. I think the concept of AAA space-themed roguelike is fantastic. However, I don't think anyone will remember the story in a positive light. There is no comparison to something like Hades which has a legitimately good and touching story.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Giving up on my platinum Returnal dreams for now, it's seriously something that needs to be patched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tyree posted:

I didn’t have the portal gun unlocked until biome 4 and that seems like it makes a huge difference. His health was draining at 1/4 that rate for me. I was using waves/serrated on a level 8 hollowseeker

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Tyree posted:

I beat Nemesis with the Hollowseeker, though it wasn’t nearly as upgraded as yours. I thought it was great for that boss, lets you just hold down the trigger and focus more on dodging everything.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Leech worked pretty well for me even at level 1. I was getting maybe 4-5 heals for a full enemy room which is pretty good. But by then I already had 3 or so other perks unlocked on the carbine too.

Also that shield in the video increases your damage I think?

Arkage fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 9, 2021

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

There's a leech rounds trait for the carbine but whenever I use it it seems to go off maybe once per 1.5 reloads, and not for very much. Higher ranks might be better but right now it involves lots of risk for little healing.

I snagged a leech round carbine for the third boss and it made the boss trivial, my health just kept replenishing.

I then powered on and beat biome 4 boss on the first go, what a great boss fight, the build up music was just fantastic.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Man gently caress that room in Biome 5 where once you grapple across a big chasm, the only way to continue is through a challenge room.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Seymour Buttz posted:

Man gently caress that room in Biome 5 where once you grapple across a big chasm, the only way to continue is through a challenge room.

A challenge room is simply an opportunity to excel. Positive attitude is everything.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Yeah, it seems like the grapple point back should be easily within the crazy range you have but nope, you just fall and take extra damage before the challenge room if you try.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Goddamn the Platinum looks rough. I really hope some of this horseshit is accidental; the activity cards are glitching out and not showing any details or completion, and I've done three straight runs of 1-3 and not found a single new cipher or the running joke that is scout log 9. I also still haven't seen a player corpse.

Thinking I'll move onto something else now because fun as it is to replay this I don't feel like there's really anything left in this game, and replaying it endlessly for RNG collectibles sounds miserable frankly.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Goddamn the Platinum looks rough. I really hope some of this horseshit is accidental; the activity cards are glitching out and not showing any details or completion, and I've done three straight runs of 1-3 and not found a single new cipher or the running joke that is scout log 9. I also still haven't seen a player corpse.

Thinking I'll move onto something else now because fun as it is to replay this I don't feel like there's really anything left in this game, and replaying it endlessly for RNG collectibles sounds miserable frankly.

I saw a bunch of player corpses when I was briefly playing on the Bad Patch, I don’t think they’ve been patched back in though

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Arkage posted:

Leech worked pretty well for me even at level 1. I was getting maybe 4-5 heals for a full enemy room which is pretty good. But by then I already had 3 or so other perks unlocked on the carbine too.

Also that shield in the video increases your damage I think?

Yeah the barrier is the key. When the portal beam is on the shield, it basically insta-kills the boss.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Some of the guns get straight filthy with their upgrades, it's pretty cool

That combined with ever improving Skillz means you really turn into a mobile iron woman

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just beat Biome 5 and 6 in one run. Had zero healing and zero extra lives going into the last boss. Had the regen parasite that saved me at least 10 times. What a fight, I was shaking afterward.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Thought I was going to be able to let this go and start RE8 once I "beat" it, but nope now I'm right back into it collecting the stuff for the true ending.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Carmant posted:

Thought I was going to be able to let this go and start RE8 once I "beat" it, but nope now I'm right back into it collecting the stuff for the true ending.

literally me, but for platinum nonsense

the raindrops on the controller, the audio in this game, the instant movement response

it's just so good

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

I saw a bunch of player corpses when I was briefly playing on the Bad Patch, I don’t think they’ve been patched back in though

Pretty crazy that this feature has been so broken that many early adopters will finish the game without ever getting to engage with it.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Just beat Biome 5 and 6 in one run. Had zero healing and zero extra lives going into the last boss. Had the regen parasite that saved me at least 10 times. What a fight, I was shaking afterward.

I really love that the bosses in this game are more about being gigantic audio/visual spectacles rather than just The Hard Thing at the end of a level. Reaching a boss is the reward for getting through your current biome; it's not a difficulty spike keeping you from the next one (with the possible exception of the first one when the player is still learning the game).

I also love that none of them have trash-mob adds. Now they just need to add a boss-rush mode so I can get high and play that on a loop.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Don't get a data cube from a rare room in the last biome and forget to deposit it after the boss like me :cripes:

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

victrix posted:

Don't get a data cube from a rare room in the last biome and forget to deposit it after the boss like me :cripes:

Also don’t spend 6 ether on a reconstructor before a boss room and then remember that you already killed them the first time you fought them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm well into about 100 into the game and in biome 1 keep running into the same rooms behind the blue triangle doors looking for the scout #9 log, apparently it's a fairly common room early in game since it talks about parasites but I guess I finished biome 1 too easily and it never spawns now that i'm well after act 3?

Always run into the same rooms every run with nearly 0 variation. I've seen youtube videos of people finding it well after act 3 but I must have some really bad factors or something.

This big room with the fabricator

This room with the small pool

This room with the glowy orb

room with the ressurector

And the archives room

And this room with the locked chest

I should just give up since it's driving me insane but I figure i'll get it THIS time :negative:

A few times I got a room with the boss-trap-chest! But that is about it.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 10, 2021