Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terminally Bored posted:

CS1 was so boring it turned me off the series for good. I think I'll try Zero and Ao after the patch for the latter is released but can't see myself powering through Rean's Power Armor Adventures. CS1 was the first time I didn't care about any of the characters in a Falcom game.

A fine decision. IMO the series peaked with the crossbell games so I do heavily recommend them. However, in Ao you start to see the seeds of bad writing that would grow into the massive problems later on.

Also the age of consent/ metoo guy is obviously trolling, best not to take the bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm getting repeatedly clobbered by Elie in Pom Party in CS4, anyone got any tips? I only need to beat everyone once to get the MQ
I also remember she was weirdly difficult but there's not much you can really do other than continue to throw yourself at the wall until the RNG lines up and you get enough CP to just bury her. Playing too defensively was the main source of my losses so what I tended to do was try to build up as much as possible, get like one good combo going so it could cascade with the craft attacke. If you do enough at once even if they try to cancel it out with their own craft sometimes it can't come in in time and you win anyway.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm nearing the end of Act 2 in Cold Steel 4, and I don't know if it's burnout or whatnot, but I feel like this entire entry in the series was a little unnecessary. Like, the story could have wrapped up in 3 I guess?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like Switch Origins is a lot better than on Vita where it was, AFAIK, much worse than other Ys6 engine games on PSP (6 itself aside of course)

Forgot to mention that the switch port has a fast forward through dialogue feature. Just press X twice. Not sure if the PS4 port had this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Terminally Bored posted:

CS1 was so boring it turned me off the series for good. I think I'll try Zero and Ao after the patch for the latter is released but can't see myself powering through Rean's Power Armor Adventures. CS1 was the first time I didn't care about any of the characters in a Falcom game.

Zero and Ao are both really good.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

I'm nearing the end of Act 2 in Cold Steel 4, and I don't know if it's burnout or whatnot, but I feel like this entire entry in the series was a little unnecessary. Like, the story could have wrapped up in 3 I guess?

I'm pretty sure the only reason Cold Steel is 4 games instead of 2 is that they wrote the entire thing around Crow and wanted a full game for each phase of his relationship with Rean. There's no other plausible excuse.

e: added tags just in case someone out there is still pretending

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love CS1 because it's the only Erebonia game where they actually had the time and cast size to actually give characters some development and arcs. Pretty much all of the character beats that work in the subsequent titles are cashing in checks from the chapters in it without bothering to really add all that much new on their own to the dynamics. I wish it had an actual final dungeon/chapter but otherwise it rules.

BisterdDave posted:

CS2 is basically the final chapter of CS1 stretched out to an entire game, and CS3 feels like the first chapter or even first half of CS4 also similarily elongated beyond its needed scope.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chancellor Osborne should've been a Vantage Masters opponent imho

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nate RFB posted:

I love CS1 because it's the only Erebonia game where they actually had the time and cast size to actually give characters some development and arcs. Pretty much all of the character beats that work in the subsequent titles are cashing in checks from the chapters in it without bothering to really add all that much new on their own to the dynamics. I wish it had an actual final dungeon/chapter but otherwise it rules.
CS2 is basically the final chapter of CS1 stretched out to an entire game, and CS3 feels like the first chapter or even first half of CS4 also similarily elongated beyond its needed scope.

I honestly super agree with this. But its also kind of the point of the series, they go into super detail and aim for the stars rather than the usual RPG abridging. And I certainly can't blame a company for deciding to get 2 100 hour games out yearly, rather than taking 2 years to push out a 150 hour game even when the reason no longer involves "The game console straight up cannot handle a game this big". I love all 8 games dearly myself, and I can point out flaws and strengths in all of them, but I stand strongly by overall quality being highly consistent from start to end. Very excited to finally play Azure sometime this month and get my patience rewarded with the best experience I can get with it while filling that hole.

I just finished replaying Legend of Heroes 4: A Tear of Vermillion, and it thoroughly reminded me that one of Trails main raison d'êtres is to be a giant love letter to the Gagharv trilogy. A lot of things fit into place better when you have Gagharv knowledge, and this one can explain a lot of things for SC and CS4. Also let me just state, exactly how much I miss how this trilogy and FC did party members, traveling around, and getting aided by the friends you make in their locales, before splitting apart to each advance your goals rather than people dropping their lives to follow you around is just so great and I'm very sad that its been done away with, probably for good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MythosDragon posted:

A lot of things fit into place better when you have Gagharv knowledge, and this one can explain a lot of things for SC and CS4.

For someone who never looked into the Gagharv games, this picked my interest. Can you give some examples? Feel free to spoiler mark them if needed.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed that from FC as well, the casual nature of it. for like 90% of the game you're just going around, exploring this cool world, meeting cool people, solving problems. The bigger the problems get the more I'm rolling my eyes.

I'm guessing I'm about midway through arc 1 of CS4 now. I'm actually enjoying it. Probably because rean's not around, lol. My fav characters are Juna, Ash, and Musse. Ash because he hates rean as much as I do, Musse because she's the only one who's jokes land, and Juna is just a pretty likable protagonist. The games would've been so improved if Rean had taken a backseat in 3/4, but then again, they probably would've made less money. I'm sure as soon as he returns I'll be frowning again. Also this curse thing has to be the most bullshit plot device in history. it's amazing, they no longer need to make a motivation for anyone doing anything, they can just say "the curse did it" truely laughable levels of writing.

also roflmao at how everyone instantly forgives ash for shooting the emperor, even those who don't know he was *mind-controlled* I guess they got good practice from crow. Is there anything in these games that isnt instantly forgivable? I mean at the end of CS3 rean basically flipped out and unleashed the apocalypse and it's seemingly only made him more well liked.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

For someone who never looked into the Gagharv games, this picked my interest. Can you give some examples? Feel free to spoiler mark them if needed.

The concept of Immortals, Rean and Crow's relationship, Large parts of both Joshua and Leonhardt's character, all reference this game.
Legend of Heroes 3: Moonlight Witch and Legend of Heroes 5: Song of the Ocean obviously do the same with different aspects and honestly, sometimes its handled better in Gagharv. And you can't forget the fact that Falcom occasionally dips into Gagharv to pull characters from such as Mildine who runs around calling herself Muse, and Una, a Pink Haired Girl with a Ponytail and a crush.
I know how infamous the localization is, but the translation is actually perfectly competent, its the programming and editing that dropped the ball, and Moonlight Witch had by far the worst of it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

And you can't forget the fact that Falcom occasionally dips into Gagharv to pull characters from such as Mildine who runs around calling herself Muse, and Una, a Pink Haired Girl with a Ponytail and a crush.

:aaa:

In other news, I'm replaying CS4 on nightmare to get the last couple of trophies, and I'll have you know that this game is still kind of bad, but it's got Duvalie and Rean eating ice cream lazying the evening away by the sea. And that's the sort of thing that counts.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 10, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hocus Pocus posted:

Like 45 minutes into Cold Steel IV. I like how it checked my save data for the previous three games.

Thirty minutes of background characters, from across eight previous entries in the franchise, giving their input on the current state of the world is both what I want, and dread, from this game. Like, I enjoy revisiting characters, and having different characters interact with one another. One of the best things about the franchise. But the Cold Steel games always seem to want to shove everyone into frame and let everyone have some input, and it feels so hamfisted at times. Some of the series' best storytelling is in Sky 3rd's Doors where it zooms in on specific characters and their stories. Also, its the fourth game in this setting, the ninth game overall, do we really need to have characters introduce themselves to one another on screen if they're already together??? Like... do they really need to share their resumes while on the move, do they really need to acknowledge each individual person's toughness? I've seen these characters for literally hundreds of hours. We're four games in dude, I just want to get to the meat of the thing.

It's particularly funny when they're just saying something like "Rean..." in the middle of some sort of dramatic situation. Just everyone standing in a group taking their turn to say "Rean..." "Rean!" "Instructor!"

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Was going through my LoH3 screenshots and had a really good laugh at this

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Approaching the end now. This game severely overstays its welcome in the last act, the final dungeon song is nowhere near as good as Spiral of Erebos, no serious consequences for dickheadery, and everyone having to chime in with another meaningless one-liner is pretty damned tedious... except when they all use their one-liners to dunk on Crow for being an edgelord. :lol:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
the consequence is that people really want to kill themselves but class 7 won't let them

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I did appreciate that when some of the baddies felt the need to engage in exterior decorating using their own interiors, they have to drop their pretend weapons they play-fight with and pull out actual normal people weapons.

For all that Rufus is an enormous douche, he is the only person in the entire game that took this whole villainy thing seriously, and I can respect that.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MythosDragon posted:

I know how infamous the localization is, but the translation is actually perfectly competent, its the programming and editing that dropped the ball, and Moonlight Witch had by far the worst of it.

I wish I could find the other examples but SotO in particular is badly translated and has a lot of (actions in parentheticals)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Those aren't translation errors, they're proofreading errors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Clarste posted:

Those aren't translation errors, they're proofreading errors.

Who cares, it's the same net result.

Even aside from that the translations are dry as gently caress. You can understand them but it strips all the charm out, which is the only thing the trilogy had going for it.

e: also I consider proofreading to be part of the translation process

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 11, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Ytlaya posted:

It's particularly funny when they're just saying something like "Rean..." in the middle of some sort of dramatic situation. Just everyone standing in a group taking their turn to say "Rean..." "Rean!" "Instructor!"

I remember someone mentioned that the beginning of CS2 had that going on as well, but XSeed took translation liberty and changed up the lines for that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cyouni posted:

I remember someone mentioned that the beginning of CS2 had that going on as well, but XSeed took translation liberty and changed up the lines for that.

Correct. The Japanese is extremely funny, the English one is way better at evoking the feelings in that scene. I definitely noticed it in CS4 too and was wondering if they should have done a similar thing there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
CS3+4 definitely would've benefited from giving the localization more time to heavily downsize the constant repeating and "why would they repeat that? everyone knows this already" conversations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I finished Ys 9 last night, I enjoyed that a lot. I somehow failed one quest, missed another (probably relied on that one), missed one area and two chests. But I did everything else and it's not like I was gonna get the platinum because I'm too bad at video games for Nightmare mode anyway.

Excited to shipwreck with my boyfriend in Britai.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

3 has a few boxes where the programming just deletes the text.
4 has a few boxes where someone hit line and cut off the last line of text.
Just started 5 again, and the worst I've seen is a typo, I can't fault something for having thoughts in ().

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Two new party members, Quatre and Risette. Note on Quatre (Sky 3 spoilers) -

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I really hope they continue officially localizing LoH games.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

Note on Quatre (Sky 3 spoilers) -

did I misinterpret that star door? I legit thought that Quatre and the other named kids in that sequence were figments of Renne's imagination

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

did I misinterpret that star door? I legit thought that Quatre and the other named kids in that sequence were figments of Renne's imagination

They undoubtedly were - however, there's nothing to say that they weren't based on real kids that Renne interacted with during her time there.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Terper posted:

They undoubtedly were - however, there's nothing to say that they weren't based on real kids that Renne interacted with during her time there.

ahh, makes sense. the boy's name, age, and hairstyle are all on point so it doesn't feel like coincidence. just a bit jarring to get a (kind of) returning character who i thought was fake all this time

e: didn't even notice Zin was in those pictures at first lol

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

BisterdDave posted:

I really hope they continue officially localizing LoH games.

They will probably keep coming since the western audience is important enough, although I expect Kuro being released before any Hajimari localisation.

I wonder if Rixia/Zin/Cao etc are playable or if they just show up or are just some guest characters

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

infraboy posted:

They will probably keep coming since the western audience is important enough, although I expect Kuro being released before any Hajimari localisation.

I wonder if Rixia/Zin/Cao etc are playable or if they just show up or are just some guest characters

So then we probably won't hear about any Kuro localization until late this year, at best. Guess that means I have plenty of time to dive into older LoH titles before any new releases.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BisterdDave posted:

So then we probably won't hear about any Kuro localization until late this year, at best. Guess that means I have plenty of time to dive into older LoH titles before any new releases.

The game doesn't even have a release date in Japan that isn't just "this year", we ain't hearing poo poo about it this year.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

kirbysuperstar posted:

But I did everything else and it's not like I was gonna get the platinum because I'm too bad at video games for Nightmare mode anyway.

Nightmare is easily done on a new game+ as you keep your stats from the previous run and you cakewalk everything. So if you are a completionist like me, the Ys games are pretty easy to plat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This has those two characters but also some Orbment info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmJabATHGw

I'm no Japanese hand so if anyone either can translate it or just has found someone who has feel free to explain anything new or changed or whatever

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Supremezero posted:

The game doesn't even have a release date in Japan that isn't just "this year", we ain't hearing poo poo about it this year.

He probably meant Hajimari.

Risette looks like maybe she is an android type of character.

I wonder how far along they are with Kuro and if they're actually doing a fall release.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My CS4 on PS4 just updated itself minutes ago, version 1.02. What the hell. Hope they didn't break anything.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Risette over Lisette irritates me, but might actually be intentional. Risette is at least a word. Definitely stinks of "This is just a fantasy character's name" though, even if it's not the first jRPG to use it that way.

EDIT
Endorph is probably right on the money about Quatre. Check out his ears. (Not really spoilers, but there are oblique conclusions one could make about other games) He's got a piece of tech over them, sort of like how Tio has the "these are actually functional" Cat Ears. Facial expressions in the youtube vid also seem very aligned with Tio. The coat is extremely similar, too, but Tio's coat should just be an Epstein Foundation thing.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Saoshyant posted:

My CS4 on PS4 just updated itself minutes ago, version 1.02. What the hell. Hope they didn't break anything.

Isn't 1.02 an older patch, or at least been the current one for awhile now? Not at my console to verify which version I have.