Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I don't think he's the main antagonist/bad guy Sizumu does seem to be doing a lot of planning and subtle manipulation that he's clearly up to SOMETHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grouchio posted:

Please tell me if it's okay to simp on Mujina, her character development, and her thighs.

What if she's Kano. Do they have the same color eyes? The characters look kinda similar to me but that just might be my dumb brain

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 8, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What if she's Kano. Do they have the same color eyes? The characters look kinda similar to me but that just might be my dumb brain

Not quite.

Kano's eyes are closer to Chise's in color. Mujina's eyes are a bit paler.

(Plus, you know. Mujina's thousands of years older.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1390795810628067330

The usual kvin episode thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

chiasaur11 posted:

Nine.

Also, definitely seeing the parallels Yume's noticing between Yomogi's friends and Kano's. Kind of a messy bit there, since it's unclear in both cases where exactly things are friends giving each other poo poo, and where it's someone getting targeted.

I don't see it that way, it's Yomogi gives back as much as he takes it, there is genuine affection in his original circle, even if he isn't satisfied with the rest of his life. Meanwhile, Yume is almost jealous of how much better Yomogi has it in comparison to Kano. That prank video was deeply unpleasant.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The thing I definitely liked about the bullying video is that you really get an impression that Kano's friends really weren't aware of what kind of lines they were crossing. That's not to absolve them of anything, obviously - if anything their ignorance makes it worse. But it's a more interesting dynamic than just being lovely for shittiness' sake.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

The thing I definitely liked about the bullying video is that you really get an impression that Kano's friends really weren't aware of what kind of lines they were crossing. That's not to absolve them of anything, obviously - if anything their ignorance makes it worse. But it's a more interesting dynamic than just being lovely for shittiness' sake.

Yeah, it perfectly nails that dynamic you see a lot with teenagers where the gang just sees it as a harmless prank while from the outside you can see the victim is getting more and more distressed/traumatised but is also never going to communicate it to the others because they know they'll be made into the badguy by the group if they're seen to complain about harmless fun. Contrast it to Yomogi, where his friends behaviour might look superficially similar but you can see Yomogi's fine with it and giving as good as he gets, and all of them quite clearly know exactly how far they can go with each other without hurting anyone. Social boundaries are ephemeral and context-based things like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You get the impression that if Yomogi seriously told one of his friends to knock it off, they would. Kano's didn't seem to be the same way, or at least she didn't feel comfortable testing that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A bit of a running theme I see is inadvertently hurting others. The pranks may not have been meant as bullying. Manager probably didn't think she was toying with Koyomi's affections by venting some of her frustrations over drinks only to bring her husband in. Yomogi's mom's boyfriend doesn't seem like he's trying to make him uncomfortable. Yomogi himself hasn't given his friends a second thought about how they might be seeing him and Yume hanging out. Yume on her part didn't mean for Yomogi to get sick when she stood him up that first night, and probably isn't really thinking how closing herself off is upsetting him. People aren't even necessarily at fault beyond mismanaged expectations, but it seems present nonetheless.
Could see more developments on this as they keep unraveling threads - there's got to be more about that bag in middle school.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I wish I remembered Gridman a bit better, so many parallels.

Also, a detail I missed:

https://streamable.com/rstcnd

e: This was easily the best episode so far. Can't wait for the next one.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 10, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't wait for episode 9 personally.

KoB
May 1, 2009
my boy :qq:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New episode spoilers from broadcast THEY'RE BOTH HERE AND THEY'VE GROWN UP! ...And there's some real human cost to the fight shown this time. :ohdear:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

New episode spoilers from broadcast THEY'RE BOTH HERE AND THEY'VE GROWN UP! ...And there's some real human cost to the fight shown this time. :ohdear:

Wait, is the other part of “they” referring to Gridman or Akane? Also does the episode explain anything in regards to what’s going on here?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Wait, is the other part of “they” referring to Gridman or Akane? Also does the episode explain anything in regards to what’s going on here?

How about you wait a few hours and watch it yourself?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

They're very early on, but neither of those.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

How about you wait a few hours and watch it yourself?

Fair enough, looking forward to this one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out now

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They sure grow up quick, huh?

Still have no idea if this is The Real World or not, but either way I'm still down for the ride.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

Ah, I should have known it was her. Nice to see them both again (they’re still voiced by the same people from the last series right)? Much like Gridman things are starting to ramp up a bit now, looking forward to seeing where this goes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MorningMoon posted:

I love this rhythm of 16-20 minutes of dealing with pain and grief, followed by absolute poggers.

This week was even harder on this. I love this cartoon tokusatsu so much.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The Second is the kaiju girl who kind of explained things on the train in Gridman, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

The Second is the kaiju girl who kind of explained things on the train in Gridman, right?

Yup, that was her. She’s the daughter of a kaiju from the original live action Gridman.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

im assuming The Second means she took over akane'srole?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Nah, it's because she has the same name as her dad. She was the Second in Gridman already.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

No, she’s the second because she’s the daughter of a kaiju from the original live action Gridman who was also named Anosillus

Also I just had a thought, since Anti/Knight and Anosillus II are still technically kaiju does that mean the Eugenicists could possibly take control of them if they wanted to?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Her full name in Gridman was "Anosillus the Second" because she's the daughter of Anosillus (the first).
Mildly spoilery pictures related to today's episode:

That's (presumably) her dad and mom.

She takes after both of them, anyway.

She IS wearing glasses similar to Akane's, though.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Larryb posted:

No, she’s the second because she’s the daughter of a kaiju from the original live action Gridman who was also named Anosillus

Also I just had a thought, since Anti/Knight and Anosillus II are still technically kaiju does that mean the Eugenicists could possibly take control of them if they wanted to?

I think we saw them try and fail

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

Her full name in Gridman was "Anosillus the Second" because she's the daughter of Anosillus (the first).
Mildly spoilery pictures related to today's episode:

That's (presumably) her dad and mom.

She takes after both of them, anyway.

She IS wearing glasses similar to Akane's, though.

I believe the girl was Anosillus‘ guardian or something but it’s possible. A2 does use the Fixer Beam in this episode just like said girl did in the original series though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Thanks for all the answers :)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Thanks for all the answers :)

The OG Gridman is on YouTube (as well as TOKU and Amazon Prime but those require a paid subscription) if you ever wanted to check it out. So is its American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad for that matter.

As basically Ultraman in Cyberspace it’s not bad for what it is but I largely prefer the anime sequels (also the current subs for the series aren’t the best in my opinion).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oh no he's hot

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The cutest detail is that Anti modeled himself after Samurai Calibur.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A minor thing that nobody brought up yet?

The high school member of the Kaiju eugenicists a real Kaiji tamer doesn't sleep.

Alexis claimed that a real human doesn't sleep.

I can't help but think that's relevant.

And of course, Anti is still great.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

A minor thing that nobody brought up yet?

The high school member of the Kaiju eugenicists a real Kaiji tamer doesn't sleep.

Alexis claimed that a real human doesn't sleep.

I can't help but think that's relevant.

And of course, Anti is still great.

I mean it could be a red harring but very much last episode he was stirring up the pot with the other Eugenicists and seems to have some other goals and plots he's planning so I wouldn't be shocked if he's the main bad guy

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also note that Chise is apparently real enough to buy herself an ice cream solo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brutal Garcon posted:

I think we saw them try and fail

That was for Anti/Knight (who seems to no longer be a kaiju and is likely a full hyper agent now) but whether it’d work on Anosillus II remains to be seen

Also I never noticed before but there’s a brief shot in the OP of both of them so I guess they’ll be sticking around

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

That was for Anti/Knight (who seems to no longer be a kaiju and is likely a full hyper agent now) but whether it’d work on Anosillus II remains to be seen

Also I never noticed before but there’s a brief shot in the OP of both of them so I guess they’ll be sticking around

Anosillus is half compoid and we don't even know if she can take a Kaiju form. The shots of them both and Gridknight in the OP are new. Trigger can foreshadow without spoiling everything.

Chise's kaiju seed keeps sprouting, I wonder which direction this will take.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Anosillus is half compoid and we don't even know if she can take a Kaiju form. The shots of them both and Gridknight in the OP are new. Trigger can foreshadow without spoiling everything.

Chise's kaiju seed keeps sprouting, I wonder which direction this will take.

Didn’t she take a kaiju form when she first met Yuta? I believe you see the shadow of one looming over him during one scene at least.

I’m assuming her mom is the humanoid guardian Unison that was trying to help Anosillus back in the original Gridman (A2 uses a similar baton in this episode after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Didn’t she take a kaiju form when she first met Yuta? I believe you see the shadow of one looming over him during one scene at least.

I’m assuming her mom is the humanoid guardian Unison that was trying to help Anosillus back in the original Gridman (A2 uses a similar baton in this episode after all)

Looking it up, she once changed her size. You are right about her mom. She also has a treble clef on her shirt and has earphones.