Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

kimbo305 posted:

Test ride:

only time i've seen these in the wild have been with the babby uncomfortably close to the rider's butt. Is there a specific bike that the seats work best with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've been riding my toddler to daycare in a trailer every day and it's been working great, I've been thinking about switching to a rear-mount seat but I have misgivings. First obvously there's the cargo space is nice in the trailer. The other thing is I can leave her strapped into the trailer for a bit while I, idk, put on a jacket, or replace a fallen chain. Can't safely do that with the mounted seat. Like when I'm holding the bike between my legs and putting some gloves on, even a really heavily loaded pannier is enough to let the bike get away from me sometimes and fall halfway over, so I worry about that happening with a seat. Clearly it works well for people though so I'm probably overly worried!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Mauser posted:

only time i've seen these in the wild have been with the babby uncomfortably close to the rider's butt. Is there a specific bike that the seats work best with?

Medium and long tail cargo bikes e.g. Blackbarow, Big Dummy, GSD

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, at the very least something with longer chainstays, like 450mm.
I have a touring bike that fits the bill, but not about to put a kickstand on it. Which is completely worth those few seconds where you need to unbuckle the kid and lift them out (or put them in).

CopperHound posted:

Be honest. How long did you consider getting a Bridgestone mamachari imported?

I've been mulling swapping the rack+seat onto my commuter, which is at least 5lbs lighter and already has a porteur rack for bags.
The 8spd is ok, but I've been a bit surprised by how often I've hit either end of the cassette without expecting ot.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, at the very least something with longer chainstays, like 450mm.
I have a touring bike that fits the bill, but not about to put a kickstand on it. Which is completely worth those few seconds where you need to unbuckle the kid and lift them out (or put them in).
A bike with a rear child seat, no stand and a straight top tube is also a disaster waiting to happen.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

alnilam posted:

I've been riding my toddler to daycare in a trailer every day and it's been working great, I've been thinking about switching to a rear-mount seat but I have misgivings. First obvously there's the cargo space is nice in the trailer. The other thing is I can leave her strapped into the trailer for a bit while I, idk, put on a jacket, or replace a fallen chain. Can't safely do that with the mounted seat. Like when I'm holding the bike between my legs and putting some gloves on, even a really heavily loaded pannier is enough to let the bike get away from me sometimes and fall halfway over, so I worry about that happening with a seat. Clearly it works well for people though so I'm probably overly worried!

Riding with young kids on bikes where they're in a bike seat and not a trailer:

Rule #1 - you need a bike with a solid kick stand. No exceptions
Rule #2 - always load the kid/s onto the bike last. Never ever trust a kid to remain seated safely on a bike while you finish loading other stuff
Rule #3 - after you dismount, the kid/s must also immediately dismount. No exceptions

Everything else after that is personal preference.

kimbo305 posted:

Test ride:

Backpack might have squeezed babb to the side?

Mauser posted:

Kids on rear seats take up more room than you think. Wait until your kid figures out how to take her feet out of the footrests and stick them up inside your shirt/use your butt/backpack as a footrest.

Then of course there's our current problem where she's grown enough that we've had to put the footrests down and now the back of my heels are running into the front of her feet when I pedal on the tandem. :v:

Leng fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Wore an older, tighter pair of jeans today and a coworker asked me why I have legs like a racehorse.

Might have to start wearing JNCOs.

Also

:3:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

Wore an older, tighter pair of jeans today and a coworker asked me why I have legs like a racehorse.

Haha, I know the feeling! My legs are super scrawny from my illness now and it's a bit sad. I lost 8kg/17.5lbs in the last 3 weeks, seems to be mainly muscle mass from my legs. My doctor assures me that'll come back quickly enough once I get out there again.

I'm doing better by the way, more energy, less out-of-breathness, I miss cycling though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm doing better by the way, more energy, less out-of-breathness, I miss cycling though.
yay!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
is it even a touring bike if it doesn't have a center stand

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Animal Friend posted:

Also

:3:

Forget JNCOs, try short shorts like a 70s basketball star

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/22391937/milo-ventimiglia-thighs-mens-shorts-inseam

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
The local bike advocacy group has a couple partner orgs that do food distribution. So the bike advocacy group has asked for volunteers to make deliveries to different parts of the city which I've done two weeks in a row so far and got a friend in on it too. Only problem was that yesterday we had intense gusts of wind that at one point required me to get off my bike and stand in place as best I could with my eyes closed. I had to walk the last three blocks and I was just covered in grit afterwards. Otherwise, really cool idea I just wish they had emailed me about it sooner!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's super cool. I can't imagine there isn't something similar in Paris, I'll have to look. It'd be a great way to familiarize myself with the parts of the city I don't know, even though cycling through much of the city sucks because of everyone in this town is awful.

I actually managed to do my commute! Last Monday, was the last day I felt a true remnant of being ill, and since then it's been an steady improvement. Friday we managed to do 18 kms as a test, and so I figured I could try my normal 20 km daily. The cold air got the very tolerable ache in my lung going, but it quickly settled and though I'm riding slower (40 mins vs an average of 25-30, still better than the hour+ on the bus), I definitely have the strength to pull it off.

I did not think I would recuperate this quickly, and though I'm not at 100%, I'm so glad I avoided public transportation. Plus, it being spring, I'm finally biking under a lovely canopy of green.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's super cool. I can't imagine there isn't something similar in Paris, I'll have to look. It'd be a great way to familiarize myself with the parts of the city I don't know, even though cycling through much of the city sucks because of everyone in this town is awful.

I actually managed to do my commute! Last Monday, was the last day I felt a true remnant of being ill, and since then it's been an steady improvement. Friday we managed to do 18 kms as a test, and so I figured I could try my normal 20 km daily. The cold air got the very tolerable ache in my lung going, but it quickly settled and though I'm riding slower (40 mins vs an average of 25-30, still better than the hour+ on the bus), I definitely have the strength to pull it off.

I did not think I would recuperate this quickly, and though I'm not at 100%, I'm so glad I avoided public transportation. Plus, it being spring, I'm finally biking under a lovely canopy of green.

Hell yeah, that rules! Welcome back!

After doing 105mi on Sat and then beating the poo poo out of my liver all weekend, my ride into the office today was slowwwww. It was also rainy and chilly. But it Still. Beats. Driving.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is there a rule of thumb on what sort of distance you could expect to comfortably ride on different sorts of bikes?

I'm starting a new job in a month or so with a 10 km commute. I already have a city bike (plus a niceish road bike and mtb) I could do it on but I'm not sure any is that suited to doing it year round, since it's pretty hot in summer and can be really wet and windy in winter. I still have some muscle imbalance problems in my legs and end up with hip/knee pain after that distance on the city bike, whilst MTB riding seems to be fine for 30km or more. The city bike weighs 23kg I think, and has a wide saddle and upright position, so it really only feels comfortable for a short period (my current commute is only 2km which is totally fine for it).

Basically I'm trying to justify getting another bike

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Are there any Euro goons with pockets who have tried out this thing?

https://hovding.com/

Actually looks pretty neat but they don't ship to the USA sadly. Also the price is wow!

EDIT: Aw the app to get it to sync isn't available in the USA, looks like it's a bust.

DOUBLE EDIT: Haha it only works once?! https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/2012/08/portland_bicyclists_can_now_bu.html

White Light fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Heliosicle posted:

I still have some muscle imbalance problems in my legs and end up with hip/knee pain

has a wide saddle and upright position

Have you tried other saddles? Like the ones from your other bikes?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That thing looks dumb but all helmets are single use and should be replaced after taking a hit.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

kimbo305 posted:

Have you tried other saddles? Like the ones from your other bikes?

Yeah that's probably the cheapest first thing I should try. Would quite like to try a Brooks on there but it would be 1/3rd of the worth of the bike lol. I don't think my other saddles would be comfortable upright like that but worth a go

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Parrotine posted:

Actually looks pretty neat but they don't ship to the USA sadly. Also the price is wow!

EDIT: Aw the app to get it to sync isn't available in the USA, looks like it's a bust.

DOUBLE EDIT: Haha it only works once?! https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/2012/08/portland_bicyclists_can_now_bu.html

I see people wearing them. I have a colleague who uses one. The major complaints I hear are that they're pretty heavy and hot to wear. Also unnecessary deployments are a thing.
I dunno, I think they're pretty dumb but I guess if it's a choice between no helmet or inflatable gadget helmet it's still a net gain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kb53DCeEc

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Parrotine posted:

Here in Sweden, I'm pretty sure they're illegal to use if you have a single light on your bike.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

I dunno, I think they're pretty dumb but I guess if it's a choice between no helmet or inflatable gadget helmet it's still a net gain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Kb53DCeEc
That delay from loss of balance to activation is loving gnarly.

I've tried a hobding before and I just don't see the point. It's heavy, expensive, needs charging, and it's probably only marginally effective against impacts that would actually injure you (objects with acute angles, etc). If you're worried about your noggin' just wear a lid.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

I've tried a hobding before and I just don't see the point. It's heavy, expensive, needs charging, and it's probably only marginally effective against impacts that would actually injure you (objects with acute angles, etc). If you're worried about your noggin' just wear a lid.

I don't think you belong to the target audience. I believe the whole point of this thing is to make money off of people who care more about how their hair looks than they care about their safety, but still care enough about their safety (or the social appearance of safety) to spend that much money on a gadget that might work when needed to. I mean, helmet hair is a thing. I just don't care. Some people do. The sales pitch that it's actually better than a real helmet since it's thicker and covers more cranium when deployed is bullshit IMO for several reasons including those you mentioned. The argument that it's easy to stuff in a small bag when not used could have some validity if you disregard the weight of the thing I guess.

I still think it's better than nothing if you're too vain to use a regular helmet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m super ok with rich idiots investing in this technology, because the natural progression would be for it to be incorporated into protective headwear for Alzheimer’s patients who often won’t wear a helmet (it can effect balance and depth perception) but would wear a new hat with it built in :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m unconvinced by having something strapped directly around my neck that could get hooked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I know my hair's particularly manageable but can't you just comb/brush out your average helmet hair?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Work has announced plans to move back to an office-centric work culture and even announced subsidies equivalent to $850 for people coming back. The catch? It's in the form of free car parking for paid spots—the many, many employees who walk, bike, or bus get squat.

I've had someone argue that they wanted to give people a grace period to see whether they still want to have the spot, but all the garages have months long waiting periods. If someone isn't sure they want the spot anymore, they should pay for it while deliberating.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Work has announced plans to move back to an office-centric work culture and even announced subsidies equivalent to $850 for people coming back. The catch? It's in the form of free car parking for paid spots—the many, many employees who walk, bike, or bus get squat.

I've had someone argue that they wanted to give people a grace period to see whether they still want to have the spot, but all the garages have months long waiting periods. If someone isn't sure they want the spot anymore, they should pay for it while deliberating.

Get the employees who bike to pool the cost of a spot + equipment, and then just plop a bike rack/cage there.

Only kind of kidding. It'd be rad, but I don't live in a real city and I don't know how illegal/theft attracting that might actually be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

The real worry (in my mind) when coming off a bike is concussion and traumatic brain injury. An airbag is going to be pretty dang effective at decelerating your brain more gently than a road.

Somebody on my twitter had an accidental deployment last year. She seems to dig it. I'm not going to give up my helmet any time soon, but I see the appeal. She says she charges it about once a week, riding several times a day.

https://twitter.com/starsandrobots/status/1228422816296398849

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’m cautiously optimistic that the tech can improve over time, and become lighter and cheaper. I’m not sold yet but I could be into it eventually.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can almost guarantee the restriction is related to IRS guidance on allowable expenses vs employee compensation.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Get the employees who bike to pool the cost of a spot + equipment, and then just plop a bike rack/cage there.

Only kind of kidding. It'd be rad, but I don't live in a real city and I don't know how illegal/theft attracting that might actually be.
This is praxis.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The real worry (in my mind) when coming off a bike is concussion and traumatic brain injury. An airbag is going to be pretty dang effective at decelerating your brain more gently than a road.

Somebody on my twitter had an accidental deployment last year. She seems to dig it. I'm not going to give up my helmet any time soon, but I see the appeal. She says she charges it about once a week, riding several times a day.

https://twitter.com/starsandrobots/status/1228422816296398849

So she's out like $400 for making a sudden movement?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Why does a misfire make her trust the product more

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It detected a sudden lurch towards the ground and deployed?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Warmer weather is finally about to come to Stockholm and the streets are properly swept from winter gravel so I brought the road bike down from the attic today. Since I'm learning to ride motorcycles I also swapped around the brake cables so that the front brake is on the right. Much more fiddly than on the hydraulic bikes, also had to re-wrap the bars and everything to make a proper job of it but now it's done and I hope to ride it to work later this week. Skinny tire muscle bike premiere is always a reality check of how soft I've become after a winter in relative comfort with e-assist and balloon tires. Some neck soreness and rear end pain is expected.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know my hair's particularly manageable but can't you just comb/brush out your average helmet hair?
If you have actually fancy hair, no. But then again, the average bike ride would gently caress it up regardless.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thing is though the person who gets off the bike, pulls helmet off and ruffles hair and laughs like they don’t care is always going to come off as more attractive than the person who scuttles off to a mirror, comb in hand.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Invalido posted:

Some neck soreness and rear end pain is expected.

Thread title?

Also I had the day off so not work commuting but still had errands to run yesterday and this is what my trip computer read when I got home to my doorstep.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Thing is though the person who gets off the bike, pulls helmet off and ruffles hair and laughs like they don’t care is always going to come off as more attractive than the person who scuttles off to a mirror, comb in hand.

True. I wouldn’t call what I do scuttling but when I do get changed from bike clothes to work clothes I quickly comb my hair as well. Not really a self esteem thing but just a presentation one I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Animal Friend posted:

Thread title?

Also I had the day off so not work commuting but still had errands to run yesterday and this is what my trip computer read when I got home to my doorstep.

ninicece