Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nephthys posted:

So much of the plot of Overlord that I've seen seems to solely exist to gratuitously show how overpowered Nazarick is compared to everything else, killing any ounce of tension or reason to care (for me at least). If that changes past season 1 I'll take that back but from the spoilers I've seen I don't think it does.

TBH I feel like So I'm a Spider has kind of shown up other isekai with overpowered protagonists for me, even the 'good' ones. Seeing Kumoko have to earn every inch she gets through blood and ingenuity makes it feel so much better when she eventually gets really strong right in time for her to get the poo poo kicked out of her again. Watching Slime and Spider side by side last season really impressed upon me how little I've cared about the former since the Orc Lord arc and I keep finding myself comparing the two series, to Slimes detriment.

And the amazing thing is this is despite Kumo having a somewhat subpar adaption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Spider has done a great job so far of showing her getting powerful while reminding the audience of the scale of the threat she faces. Despite becoming immortal she can still be taken out of action with one effortless attack from the demon lord, and her true enemy is a god, far beyond even that. And when she does have to slaughter some generic mooks who are way beneath her like those bandits, the show treats it like the trivial fight that it is, or just skips over it entirely like that elven hit squad.

Where Slime and Overlord tend to fail is when they frame a battle as though it’s supposed to be an epic confrontation, but we know the protagonist is too powerful to be threatened by anything so there’s no tension. Slime gets a bit better at the end of its second season because it at least introduces a bunch of truly despicable villains who we can have fun watching Rimuru mow down with ease, but it was a long, boring road to get to that point. And Overloard has those arcs with the lizards, or the young knight, or the village girl and her goblin friends, which offer a change of pace, so credit to the show for that.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 9, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't really see the big fights in Overlord as epic confrontations myself (Aside from the Shaltear fight in season 1, where Ain's is being extremely cautious as he doesn't know what's going on and is fighting someone in the ballpark of his own power level) , my personal take is it's more akin to watching One Punch Man: You know they're overpowered, and everything's just preamble to the punchline of Saitama The Tomb of Nazarick doing something obscenely overpowered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Might wanna be careful with latest episode spoilers in the seasonal anime thread for people who haven't jumped in yet. :)

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Might wanna be careful with latest episode spoilers in the seasonal anime thread for people who haven't jumped in yet. :)

Oh is that the rule? Okay, sorry. Edited.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakeneko posted:

I dunno if its a rule, and I wasn't meaning to suggest that it was, I was just thinking that there were times where I didn't hop into an anime until much later in the season and that it can be unexpected to see spoilers and just to be conscientious? Is that the word? Towards people who were thinking of hopping in but haven't yet.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Exia posted:

A second season of Love Live Nijigasaki was announced today during the 3rd Nijigasaki live event, scheduled to air next year

:toot:

Isn't there also some Love Live Allstars thing happening sometime too?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the first season of Overlord was pretty boring and the show got more interesting from there. More political stuff and more stuff not main cast related. I wouldn't agree with the first season being the best at all. Who can't love half a season of lizardman loving.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bakeneko posted:

It's less a hard rule and just being courteous to people who read this thread, many of whom might not have watched/caught up with the show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Any chance of seeing the crazy princess again in S4? She was easily the best character in Overlord.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Julias posted:

courteous

Ahah! That's the word I was looking for! :D

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sindai posted:

Any chance of seeing the crazy princess again in S4? She was easily the best character in Overlord.

She should be showing up more, definitely will be showing up in the movie is my guess.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nephthys posted:

TBH I feel like So I'm a Spider has kind of shown up other isekai with overpowered protagonists for me, even the 'good' ones. Seeing Kumoko have to earn every inch she gets through blood and ingenuity makes it feel so much better when she eventually gets really strong right in time for her to get the poo poo kicked out of her again. Watching Slime and Spider side by side last season really impressed upon me how little I've cared about the former since the Orc Lord arc and I keep finding myself comparing the two series, to Slimes detriment.

Same. I tried to get into the Slime story, but it literally lost me by the third episode when he'd absorbed the power of this ridiculously OP dragon. In fairness, there's a certain cycle for Kumoko where as soon as she starts getting overconfident you know she's about to get curbstomped, but it beats having a character start out more OP than a Fallout player using console commands.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bakeneko posted:

Spider has done a great job so far of showing her getting powerful while reminding the audience of the scale of the threat she faces. Despite becoming immortal she can still be taken out of action with one effortless attack from the demon lord, and her true enemy is a god, far beyond even that. And when she does have to slaughter some generic mooks who are way beneath her like those bandits, the show treats it like the trivial fight that it is, or just skips over it entirely like that elven hit squad.

Where Slime and Overlord tend to fail is when they frame a battle as though it’s supposed to be an epic confrontation, but we know the protagonist is too powerful to be threatened by anything so there’s no tension. Slime gets a bit better at the end of its second season because it at least introduces a bunch of truly despicable villains who we can have fun watching Rimuru mow down with ease, but it was a long, boring road to get to that point. And Overloard has those arcs with the lizards, or the young knight, or the village girl and her goblin friends, which offer a change of pace, so credit to the show for that.

Overlord realizes that the fights aren't a real challenge. Its more about intrigue, and politics. Ainz could just curb stomp everybody, but he isn't sure there isn't anyone more powerful out there. The side characters that get developed are there if you want characters that face challenging fights.

Slime tries to do the intrigue and politics thing too, but the characters are underdeveloped, and the protagonist usually just completely solves things via brute force anyways. Also, (spoiler for both Overlord and Slime) Both Slime and Overlord have a splatfest, but the message from slime is that the protagonist is cool and good for doing so, while Overlord uses it show to how psychopathic Ainz is.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming dwarf arc for overlord, its probably my favorite arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly, is there anyone out there who WOULDN'T wipe out an invading army of genocidal religious zealots if given the opportunity?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Captain Invictus posted:

honestly, is there anyone out there who WOULDN'T wipe out an invading army of genocidal religious zealots if given the opportunity?

They were not just mere genocidal religious zealots, they were outright cartoon villains with no redeeming qualities at all, so one dimensional it was almost funny.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm really curious what the argument is about the way the genocide is presented in Slime. An enemy forces comes into town specifically to spark an altercation, they then slaughter a portion of the town, then return to finish the job with an army they just so happened to have at the ready.

For a fantasy work, there's a fair bit of grey here with the explicit understanding that what he is doing is monsterous, even if it is for the sake of his own people. Slime Country was attacked first, he did what he did to be able to revive his friends. Is that good? Of course not. Genocide is genocide but let's not pretend he did it without cause either.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

forgive and forget

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Slime literally commits warcrimes in the last couple of episodes of the most recent season. He kills surrendering soldiers, and you know for sure they surrendered in their hearts because the skill he used only works on those who legitimately surrender.

The series does not take a critical look at this and just seems to go, drat what a cool guy this slime is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this is why isekai is bad *gestures wildly*

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Robviously posted:

I'm really curious what the argument is about the way the genocide is presented in Slime. An enemy forces comes into town specifically to spark an altercation, they then slaughter a portion of the town, then return to finish the job with an army they just so happened to have at the ready.

For a fantasy work, there's a fair bit of grey here with the explicit understanding that what he is doing is monsterous, even if it is for the sake of his own people. Slime Country was attacked first, he did what he did to be able to revive his friends. Is that good? Of course not. Genocide is genocide but let's not pretend he did it without cause either.

The enemy force was intent on committing genocide; they didn't view monsters as people and were planning on putting every last one of them to the sword. Slime Country is not intent on committing genocide; their counter-attack is only targeted at the attacking forces, and there are no plans to push into the enemy country and start enacting reprisals against the rest of the population.

However, Slime absolutely commits a massacre, wiping out the enemy forces to the last man even past the point where he had broken them. The only real "grey" area is going to be discussing how much force is allowable when fighting back against a force that seeks your annihilation.

The anime/manga/LN takes the stance that it is perfectly allowable (if not cool and good) for the MC to respond to threats against him/his country by whatever means necessary to ensure that they cannot be threats again in the future.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Slime’s last season was really really bad for all sorts of reasons. I felt at numerous moments that the people creating it had no idea what human entertainment was.

I watched it all of course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Slime literally commits warcrimes in the last couple of episodes of the most recent season. He kills surrendering soldiers, and you know for sure they surrendered in their hearts because the skill he used only works on those who legitimately surrender.

The series does not take a critical look at this and just seems to go, drat what a cool guy this slime is.

Why does the main character have an ability to kill exclusively people who are surrendering

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Slime fail.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Why does the main character have an ability to kill exclusively people who are surrendering

He unlocked it after killing 10,000 people and the other 10,000 started surrendering. And then used it to kill them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 9, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

....But why?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

....But why?

Isekai's run on rpg logic so you get rpg abilities for doing things like crafting or massacres.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

....But why?

Because he is a literal monster and gains monster abilities as he evolves into a stronger and stronger monster?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All of that explains why he gets the power. None of that explains why he uses it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

He uses the power because some side character you probably don’t remember appeared randomly and told him about an ancient fairytale about mass murder being a super convenient solution to the crisis the entire season had been building towards (including multiple episodes that ended with ‘boy howdy I didn’t know how bad things were about to get’).

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

All of that explains why he gets the power. None of that explains why he uses it.

He uses it specifically because he needs to harvest a huge amount of souls to evolve into a higher form of monster to be able to resurrect everyone that the enemy army murdered.

Edit:

kater posted:

He uses the power because some side character you probably don’t remember appeared randomly and told him about an ancient fairytale about mass murder being a super convenient solution to the crisis the entire season had been building towards (including multiple episodes that ended with ‘boy howdy I didn’t know how bad things were about to get’).

This however is a very disingenuous reading of the plot.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There’s also the possibility that the character’s soul was destroyed earlier in the season but the show has shown no indication that will be explored and was completely handwaved off despite being the most obvious thing the world.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

....But why?

Sometimes when you're going down a skill tree you end up picking up a whole lot of chaff you don't think you're ever going to actually use, but you still take them on the road to getting double exp or whatever.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Waffleman_ posted:

....But why?

His stated reason in the show was, "Well I'm probably not going to get another chance to use this war crime skill, better use it now"

I'm being serious. He says this line out loud.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You apparently can't resurrect your big titty secretary without murdering a whole bunch of people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

You apparently can't resurrect your big titty secretary without murdering a whole bunch of people.

I guess the ends sometimes do justify the means.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

His stated reason in the show was, "Well I'm probably not going to get another chance to use this war crime skill, better use it now"

To be fair, I can see Kumoko using the same argument.

Then again, Kumoko and morality have a more... distant relationship than some.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

average repetitive morality debate fan/average psycho MC enjoyer

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is remarkable that a show about a super slime went with boring an oddly uncomfortably framed head shot lasers instead of just a big old slime envelopment eating them. It'd even side step the whole warcrimes skill if the baddies just had one second to realize whelp we're boned, instead of spending a full half episode of people begging for their lives and running. But you know the author wanted to have a big scene relishing in his totes justified warcrime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are probably some sick clips of it on sakugabooru, literally the only justification you need imo