Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have decided I am not done with this game and I will go for the platinum trophy...mostly cause I do honestly think the speedrun chieve sounds really fun to do. I'll just need to think of a money route so I can afford the phoenix spear and get it an upgrade or two immediately into act 2

Also just googled around for a bit and found this and whoa this looks drat useful https://videochums.com/extras/nier-weapon-upgrade-materials-calculator tho I'm considering just using a trainer to instantly give me all of the upgrade mats cause it'd be one thing if this took a couple hours I could knock out in an afternoon, but an additional possible 10-20 hour grind for one achievement that's focused on spending hours grinding tons of very low % items is pretty hard to justify for a single player game :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The sad Yonah laters kind of make me very mad at Nier. Spend time with your sister goddammit!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I have decided I am not done with this game and I will go for the platinum trophy...mostly cause I do honestly think the speedrun chieve sounds really fun to do. I'll just need to think of a money route so I can afford the phoenix spear and get it an upgrade or two immediately into act 2

You can finish ending A in 5-6 hours without ever upgrading a weapon, or even buying a new weapon.

The free Automata DLC swords are more than good enough.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also there's no difficulty restrictions at all so if you hit a roadblock you can just turn it down as far as you want with assists if needed. I played the whole game on easy with the game's ai handling most of my magic usage and it felt pretty wild. Half the time during combat I had no clue what the hell was even happening, but stuff died.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got ending A... the real Dark Souls Nier Replicant begins now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

During Part 1 I was thinking "these side quests are a little annoying but not that bad, I don't get what the big deal is" but now in Part 2 this dude near the pigs is like "give me 10 titanium alloys (and a bunch of other poo poo)" and lol no. This other side quest is also sending me back into the Lost Shrine, which is my least favorite zone (but this quest is unfortunately apparently necessary to get all weapons).

Question - how do words on Evade/Guard work? Do they just apply all the time? Someone mentioned that the words on weapons/magic that buff things like items/XP only apply if that weapon/magic kills enemies, but that logic doesn't seem like it can apply to evading/guarding.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ytlaya posted:

During Part 1 I was thinking "these side quests are a little annoying but not that bad, I don't get what the big deal is" but now in Part 2 this dude near the pigs is like "give me 10 titanium alloys (and a bunch of other poo poo)" and lol no. This other side quest is also sending me back into the Lost Shrine, which is my least favorite zone (but this quest is unfortunately apparently necessary to get all weapons).

Question - how do words on Evade/Guard work? Do they just apply all the time? Someone mentioned that the words on weapons/magic that buff things like items/XP only apply if that weapon/magic kills enemies, but that logic doesn't seem like it can apply to evading/guarding.

Those usually provide an entirely different effect on evading/guarding, and you can see what it is by applying them in the word edit. Sometimes they add effects like stun/etc

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I really don't think any of the quests are that bad with the possible exception of Package Delivery 3 but you can cheese that one with the desert warps

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only quest I found truly annoying was the moonflower seed one because it requires waiting real life time even with timezone manipulation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doctor Nutt posted:

Those usually provide an entirely different effect on evading/guarding, and you can see what it is by applying them in the word edit. Sometimes they add effects like stun/etc

A lot of them provide stuff like a bonus to "physical strength" or (I believe) item/xp rate. It's not clear how that would be connected to blocking/dodging.

Sharkitten posted:

I really don't think any of the quests are that bad with the possible exception of Package Delivery 3 but you can cheese that one with the desert warps

It takes a while to go through the Junkyard, and it seems like you have to do that at least a few times (and that's if you're not planning on upgrading many weapons). And Lost Shrine also takes a while to navigate (unless this quest's item is just located near the beginning).

Traveling between the cities never bothered me much, though. It's very fast, even before the boat, to get from Nier's village to Seafront. Getting to Junkyard is pretty annoying, though; unless I'm missing something, you always have to climb all those ladders in the Northern Plains.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

A lot of them provide stuff like a bonus to "physical strength" or (I believe) item/xp rate. It's not clear how that would be connected to blocking/dodging.

If you put one of those item/XP words on evade/block you can see on the screen it just doesn’t apply that effect

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Any quest that requires you to grind random drops is bad by design, even if it doesn't take that long in practice.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

There's a new quest I just found randomly even loooong after doing 100% of sidequests. Not sure if it's new to 1.22 or not but in Part 2 there's a guy on the east side of the northern plains who gives you a quest to run down sheep like a psychopath from a boar and it's repeatable indefinitely for money. Sheep don't actually respawn ever again in part 2 so if this is new it could be to remedy the kill 100 sheep achievement, maybe

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

There's a new quest I just found randomly even loooong after doing 100% of sidequests. Not sure if it's new to 1.22 or not but in Part 2 there's a guy on the east side of the northern plains who gives you a quest to run down sheep like a psychopath from a boar and it's repeatable indefinitely for money. Sheep don't actually respawn ever again in part 2 so if this is new it could be to remedy the kill 100 sheep achievement, maybe

It was included in the DLC for the original.

I just did the sheep killing on my way to (ending spoilers) ending E instead.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

beep by grandpa posted:

The juxtaposition of the epic music with the absurdity of the quest was honestly one of the funniest god drat things I've seen in this game. Maybe it's the :420: but I did it over and over and was laughing my rear end off the whole time. Once you start getting good with patterns it's basically pac man but you're just loving obliterating sheep with your gigantic wild boar.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
It counted for sheep murder achievement in the original DLC but now doesn't for some reason.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

petcarcharodon posted:

It counted for sheep murder achievement in the original DLC but now doesn't for some reason.

Lol wow

At least with the sheep chieve being permanently missable it would take no more than 10min to start a new game and get to the north plains and start slaughtering until it pops. You wouldnt even need to save the game so you could name yourself BigBadWolf >:]

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Passive stuff like physical strength/defence on martial arts applies as long as you have that action bound to a shoulder button, and apparently stacks if you have both bound.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Kaine's Dream: Discrimination still hits like a truck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cephas posted:

Kaine's Dream: Discrimination still hits like a truck.

Yeah, that was...that was rough.

Still is. :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

The Aerie got what it deserved

edit: literally every time I get The Sacrifice key https://i.imgur.com/clZUVcL.png

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 10, 2021

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So Kainé and Emil have to stay outside at every settlement, except nobody bats an eye at Emil in Facade - is it because they think he's just wearing a mask like them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Agents are GO! posted:

So Kainé and Emil have to stay outside at every settlement, except nobody bats an eye at Emil in Facade - is it because they think he's just wearing a mask like them?

They're fine with Kainé too but she chooses to hang at the gate.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Facade owns.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Agents are GO! posted:

Kainé and NieR are both renowned heroes of the city, I don't think the people of the mask give a poo poo about the company either of those two keep.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Facade's citizens are also prob like "yo sick mask"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Also Emil can fly so they wouldn't need to worry about the fact that you're constantly jumping between buildings and over sand rivers to get around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Despite all the rules the people of Facade are somehow the chillest of all

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just have to abide by their very strict "no dogs" apartment policy

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They're extremely aware of their freedoms

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Do Eagle Eggs not spawn in the Aerie in Part 2 or something, but I have literally looted the node where they're supposed to spawn like 30 times now without success (and that's just counting the times it's spawned). I've gotten 5 meteorites, an item which is not even supposed to be farmed here, in the process of this, but not a single egg.

edit2: Literally the time after I made that comment, haha. loving finally, jesus

One upside to PC time manipulation is that you're not forced to start the game to harvest things. I waited too long and was going to lose my entire plot full of white moonflowers, but was able to time travel a couple days into the past and get the seeds.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I like how it sort of upsets expectations that the rules are going to be some bad repressive thing. When I first visited I was like "oh no what horrors await here" but it turns out the place is just sort of quirky and people seemingly just yell at you if you don't follow the rules.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 11, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m in Facade right now and I’m coming to the conclusion that Replicant is pretty much the Earthbound to Automata’s Mother 3, in that one is kind of serviceable if clunky and the other is an actual good game but whether or not one or the other is a better experience is largely subjective cause they try to do different things.

I think I’m gonna prefer Automata’s weirdass sense of humor but I’m not regretting spending $60 to experience a good experience in its own right.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got the legendary fish.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there is no rule against being a floating skeleton.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So I've started playing through Automata after smashing through Replicant last week and I've run into some graphical issues. I've updated my graphics drivers and installed both the FAR and texture pack mods which hasn't helped at all. It seems like it a texture or geometry loading issue or somethingwhere I'm getting black boxes flickering all over the screen making it super hard to see stuff. It's only really showed up in force once I had the city collapse but it showed up once or twice out in the desert as well.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/251536753507303435/841553171313983498/NieR_Automata_2021-05-11_15-21-00.mp4

Hopefully there's something I can do to fix this because it's making the game pretty close to unplayable at the moment.

E: after verifying files in steam and redownloading most of the game it seems to have fixed itself

Grashnak fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 11, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Please god, help me with the subdued bracelets and forlorn necklaces.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Ending E: I'm wondering if anyone visited the village as Kaine originally intended before going to the Forest of Myth and whether there was anything interesting there. Also when that big flower came out I thought there was going to be a D3 rhythm game sequence and was very relieved that there was not.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hikaki posted:

Ending E: I'm wondering if anyone visited the village as Kaine originally intended before going to the Forest of Myth and whether there was anything interesting there. Also when that big flower came out I thought there was going to be a D3 rhythm game sequence and was very relieved that there was not.

I believe it walls off other areas with “oh no you don’t want to go there right now” type written material. You can only go the intended route.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I believe it walls off other areas with “oh no you don’t want to go there right now” type written material. You can only go the intended route.

To be precise, Kaine goes 'eh, don't want to freak out the village' if you head that way, implying that three years later and after Kaine saved Yonah the villagers are still spooked by her, the canoe guy says some Shades wrecked the canal, so that's out of commission, and the Junk Heap has a notice saying the number of robots has been increasing, so the entire place has been locked up to keep everyone safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ok, gently caress it, I got the achievement for upgrading weapons (because you just need 33 of them, and I was able to use the YoRHa ones), even though the ones requiring subdued necklaces remain un-upgraded. That counts right? That counts toward platinum completion? As much as >50% but <100% of the words does, anyway.