Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I say go into Talking Heads chronologically. All their albums are Great.

Keep in mind Eno didn’t start producing until their 2nd album, More Songs About Buildings and Food, and it’s really where they became The Talking Heads.

Stop Making Sense is a perfect concert film, but I think it pays off to see how they got there. If you hear their full live band performance first and then go back to ‘77 where it’s just the four of them, it may feel sparse in a punk sorta way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If you're going to go with a live album, I would actually suggest The Name of this Band is Talking Heads.

Especially the expanded double CD version Rhino did - the second disc is one of my favorite live discs and it's where they started working with some of the people they did on Stop Making Sense.

But if their studio albums - I would start with Fear of Music.

It's the right balance of weird and angular but still accessible. You got Life During Wartime which is one that got and gets a lot of radio play. You got Byrne perfecting the songs about mundane topics perfectly with Cities. You got great new wave freakouts like Memories Can't Wait, and you got a great ballad with Heaven. I Zimbra just rules.

77 and More Songs About Buildings and People are good albums, but they can be a bit tough because Byrne is still growing as a song writer, and his eccentricities are on full display. There's plenty of great tracks.

Remain in Light is a fascinating album. The band has grown a lot, and the album consists of loops and repeating phrases. It's very much a funk record by way of Kraftwerk. There's a lot there to love. Crosseyed and Painless will get you dancing, The Great Curve is just powerfully sexy. Once in a Lifetime showed that they could write pop music even when doing something off the beaten path - it's definitely super accessible. The Overload is Byrne writing a Joy Division song based only on what he ready about the band.

Then we get to Speaking in Tongues. Burning Down the House, Girlfriend is Better, Swamp, Slippery People, Naive Melody - these are all great songs. It's more of a mix bag than their other albums, and a few of the tracks go on for far too long. It's a drop overall from what came before, but it's still really good.

Little Creatures is where the band becomes more straightforward in their sound. The highlights are still strong, but you feel like more of the songs don't work as well. And She Was, Road to Nowhere, The Lady Don't Mind - these are all great songs. But then you get Little Creatures and Walk It Down and even Television Man, and they're not bad songs, they're just not great.

True Stories feels worse for the wear. This is their poppiest album, and when it works, it is on fire. Wild Wild Life and Love For Sale - just great pop singles. People Like Us and Puzzling Evidence - fantastic deep cuts. But you get a lot of songs that feel forgettable. I can't tell you anything about Radio Head, except it gave us the band name.

Finally is Naked. This has (Nothing But) Flowers, and is really one of their best songs. It's a little overlong, and the band was really at a rough point all around. Blind is good. Ruby Dear I recall being good. But it's really the David Byrne show at this point.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Wow thanks for the recommendations

I gave Stop Making Sense the live version a listen, really enjoyed a lot of it, particularly liked Life During Wartime, enough to give Fear of Music a listen and this persons youtube track listing for it made me laugh out loud

0:00 - david byrne and his band go on a rampage in africa
3:05 - david byrne gives up on being a therapist
7:18 - david byrne tells you about how paper and optics work
9:58 - david byrne gives you a "detailed" tour of london
14:15 - david byrne walks around in new york
17:57 - david byrne eats edibles with david lynch and bangs his head on the wall
21:27 - david byrne gets sunburnt and complains
25:00 - it's boring, don't go there
29:02 - david byrne discovers furries and goes insane
32:32 - sentient electric guitar tells david byrne to buy a car on a highway and ends up committing a crime against the state of new york
35:34 - eno, those edibles aint shi—

its odd, they sort of sound more quirky but also less quirky than i thought from a couple of singles, cool band though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

True Stories feels worse for the wear. This is their poppiest album, and when it works, it is on fire. Wild Wild Life and Love For Sale - just great pop singles. People Like Us and Puzzling Evidence - fantastic deep cuts. But you get a lot of songs that feel forgettable. I can't tell you anything about Radio Head, except it gave us the band name.

the complete soundtrack version of this record that came out with the criterion blu-ray is fantastic. you finally get all the character songs and the soundtrack pieces in one place

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its odd, they sort of sound more quirky but also less quirky than i thought from a couple of singles, cool band though

Basically they’re extremely weird for a band of their stature but you can only be so weird while maintaining said stature.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Basically they’re extremely weird for a band of their stature but you can only be so weird while maintaining said stature.

I learned recently that they were chasing their sound and eccentricities with Byrne and Eno’s leadership until Tom Tom Club’s Genius of Love became a cultural phenomenon, before TH ever had a major hit single. After that Tina and Chris are trying to work with TH to make a bigger hit than Genius, so they have more creative control over the sounds and songs, but you also have Byrne and Eno compromising/sabotaging/changing songs in post without Tina and Chris.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I never heard of Tom Tom Club, and think that one track on Stop Making Sense is a blight on an otherwise classic performance. I can't believe it was popular.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tom Tom Club were kind of a fun band to see live.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cemetry Gator posted:

True Stories is hard to appreciate without seeing the movie. Once you have it works a lot better.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

True Stories is hard to appreciate without seeing the movie. Once you have it works a lot better.

At the same time though, there are millions of incredible albums out there and if you never got around to listening to True Stories it’s not a huge loss. It’s not a major work.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

IUG posted:

I never heard of Tom Tom Club, and think that one track on Stop Making Sense is a blight on an otherwise classic performance. I can't believe it was popular.

To be fair, at the very least that song became the basis for Mariah Carey's "Fantasy".

and Mark Morrisson's "Return of the Mack"!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Franchescanado posted:

I learned recently that they were chasing their sound and eccentricities with Byrne and Eno’s leadership until Tom Tom Club’s Genius of Love became a cultural phenomenon, before TH ever had a major hit single. After that Tina and Chris are trying to work with TH to make a bigger hit than Genius, so they have more creative control over the sounds and songs, but you also have Byrne and Eno compromising/sabotaging/changing songs in post without Tina and Chris.

Where on earth did you hear that?

It literally makes no sense with the timing of things. Eno last produced Remain in Light back in 1980, after that, the band didn't work with him anymore. Genius of Love came out in 1981.

I know they band was pretty dysfunctional throughout most of the 80s, and I know creative vision was a big part of the conflict.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You gotta respect the fact that all the "we hate each other, never again" bands got back together from the 90s, but TH still refuse to despite the money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I know David Byrne's had a long solo career, but has any of the rest of the band been recording?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Elaborating from my last ask, what about Prince's various associates and side projects?

Here's what I've heard:

-Skip Vanity 6 and Apollonia 6, they're mediocre
-The Time rule
-Sheila E. rules
-Wendy and Lisa got screwed over majorly by Prince but have some fun solo work as well
-Madhouse was cool if you liked jazzy instrumentals

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I know David Byrne's had a long solo career, but has any of the rest of the band been recording?

Upthread there's David Byrne vs. Tina and Chris talk, overlooking poor Jerry Harrison. Jerry's put out I think three solo recordings, but has been quiet in recent years. I really like The Red And The Black, demonstrates that he was an important contributor to TH, not just a hired guitar. Jerry was one of the original Modern Lovers, too.

And then of course there's the classic "5 Minutes" by Bonzo Goes To Washington, Jerry's collaboration with Bootsy Collins.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Jerry Harrison did a few solo albums, but mainly did production. He worked with Live a lot, produced a song for No Doubt, and has done some guitar work.

Tina and Chris I believe did work as Tom Tom Club.

They all did a record called No Talking Just Heads.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think there was an album released under the name The Heads, which was without Byrne. They had different guest singers for each song. It’s sadly garbage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

Where on earth did you hear that?

It literally makes no sense with the timing of things. Eno last produced Remain in Light back in 1980, after that, the band didn't work with him anymore. Genius of Love came out in 1981.

I know they band was pretty dysfunctional throughout most of the 80s, and I know creative vision was a big part of the conflict.

I may have messed up some of the timeline with regards to Eno, but it's from Remain In Love, the memoir by Tina and Chris (so a bit biased against Byrne), and U Talkin' Talking Heads 2 My Talking Head podcast goes in depth about how Genius of Love was a sea change for the band, and all of Byrne's shenanigans behind Tina & Chris's back in post-production. The podcast interviews Jerry, and he's pretty polite in his interview, but his point about "When you're in a band with a married couple, either someone agrees with them or discussions end in a stalemate" corroborates a lot of the accounts that the podcast brings up with regards to Byrne vs Tina & Chris.

Sir Nose posted:

Upthread there's David Byrne vs. Tina and Chris talk, overlooking poor Jerry Harrison. Jerry's put out I think three solo recordings, but has been quiet in recent years. I really like The Red And The Black, demonstrates that he was an important contributor to TH, not just a hired guitar. Jerry was one of the original Modern Lovers, too.

And then of course there's the classic "5 Minutes" by Bonzo Goes To Washington, Jerry's collaboration with Bootsy Collins.

The Red and The Black rules and you're right, it highlights how much he brought to the band. He just seems to have the smallest ego among the Heads, so you just don't hear much about him when it comes to the drama.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Attitude Indicator posted:

I think there was an album released under the name The Heads, which was without Byrne. They had different guest singers for each song. It’s sadly garbage.

There was, not to be mistaken for the Bristol, UK band The Heads which was and still is one of the very best heavy-psych outfits out there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stone Temple Pilots? I've always been a huge Velvet Revolver fan but cant even name one STP song.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
STP are one of few bands of that era that never really grabbed me, however I do really like Big Empty off The Crow OST.

Which, along with the Spawn and Judgement Night soundtracks, is a great jumping off point for a whole lotta music.

That said, I loving love the live performance of Time Baby III by Medicine on the Crow movie, but the OST and any other versions I found never came close :( I spent literally years tracking the one Medicine album I could find at all down and about £30 to have it imported. Its a decentish album but that brief performance of Time Baby III is so good I think anything would be a disappointment.

Apropros of nothing, and because I'm thinking about 90s female fronted alt rock linked to movies, Joydrop are pretty good. If anyone likesFlyleaf still, or Garbage, then you should also give a go to Joydrop

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Stone Temple Pilots? I've always been a huge Velvet Revolver fan but cant even name one STP song.

If you only want one album listen to Purple. Otherwise go in chronological order and stop when you lose interest. You'll probably find some songs you know on the first two albums.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Apropros of nothing, and because I'm thinking about 90s female fronted alt rock linked to movies, Joydrop are pretty good. If anyone likesFlyleaf still, or Garbage, then you should also give a go to Joydrop

Solid recommendation here.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 14, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

ultrafilter posted:

If you only want one album listen to Purple. Otherwise go in chronological order and stop when you lose interest. You'll probably find some songs you know on the first two albums.

I’d say at least make it to Tiny Music . . . Honestly if I was going to put on an STP album right now that’s the one. I’d never call them a super adventurous band but that was the closest they got to one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

I’d say at least make it to Tiny Music . . . Honestly if I was going to put on an STP album right now that’s the one. I’d never call them a super adventurous band but that was the closest they got to one.

I agree with this 1000% with the caveat that I still have no interest in listening to it. But I think Tiny Music is about as good as it gets.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I almost feel like for most people, the greatest hits album would probably do you just as well. They had a lot of great songs, but they were the ones that got on the radio.

Unless you fall so head over heels in love with that music, I don't know if the individual albums have songs I would say you're missing out on if you just focused on the hits.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the tips everyone! I ended up putting on the greatest hits and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would so I think im just gonna go through the albums chronologically

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone! I ended up putting on the greatest hits and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would so I think im just gonna go through the albums chronologically

Sour Girl fucks, that's my only STP take.

Oh I also like that song that was on Radio X (Interstate Love Song?) on GTA San Andreas cos i'm 1,000,000 years old.

edit: It was apparently plush?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
MGMT? I liked Electric Feel and Kids.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Junpei posted:

That first one has the songs you like and a few other good songs (and some snoozers). Their next album Congratulations I kinda like and find myself listening to much more often. Give it a try.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Junpei posted:

Time to Pretend is their other really great song and I would also recommend watching this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMMlwjWyHxA&t=287s

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pretty much just those 2 songs. Time to Pretend is similar but the second half of Oracukar Spectacular isn't strong.

Congratulations is good but way different, try listening to Flash Delirium and see if you like it.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Don't hate on "Little Dark Age"! That track is super solid.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Trouble Funk. Feels like I should be into these guys, but their discography seems like a legal mess and I haven't had success finding the good stuff. Where do I start?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The 5th Dimension.

Age of Aquarius is awesome. I've heard Wedding Bell Blues and Up, Up and Away and are alright with both. Is anything else worth it?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Brian Jonestown Massacre?

I liked the doc but haven't really gone through the catelogue.

e: yeah.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 26, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I have a Pandora station I curate for psychy fuzz type stuff. "Anemone" makes it into that algorithm on the regular. You might start with Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request and then work from there if you like what you hear. I'm not an expert, did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think their albums followed the same track as the Dandys. Early stuff was good, but it gets progressivly more anemic as the albums go. They have considerably more albums that their rivals though.

By the doc, did you mean Dig!?

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Forgive me, I know this has probably been discussed before,

I have no idea where to begin with Sparks?

That Guy From Pearldiver fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 5, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Forgive me, I know this has probably been discussed before,

I have no idea where to begin with Sparks?

I asked before and I'm pretty sure the answer was Kimono in my House but I'm sure a proper answer will be received shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Toto?

I keep reading how Steve Lukather is amazing, so hey I'll give them a shot.