Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

skull mask mcgee posted:

ah yes, wearing a nazi armband and using an emoji with a white skin tone. these two things are the same to me

you are just backpedaling on the hypothetical you accepted:

skull mask mcgee posted:

carry on then posted:

white supremacists will read it as you signaling to them that you are also a white supremacist
even if this is true, it doesn't matter. ...

emoji skintones probably don't matter a whole lot, but stop pretending that what you signal can't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

"I work on ads at Google"
"Can I ask why? I honestly can't understand how anyone could."

Someone recently asked me why I work on ads, and I wanted to write up something more thorough than my comment. (Despite being a work topic this is a personal post and I'm speaking only for myself.)

One answer is that I'm earning to give: I give half of what I earn to the most effective charities I can find, and the more I earn the more I can give. This is not the full answer, however, since when people ask me this they're generally coming from a perspective of viewing ads (or perhaps online ads) as negative, and the question is more like "why do you choose to work on something bad?"

The thing is, I think advertising is positive, and I think my individual contribution is positive. I'm open to being convinced on this: if I'm causing harm through my work I would like to know about it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:wow:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Effective altruism/earning to give like that always bugs me because it feels like a rationalization for just doing whatever exploitative job you like. Points to this dude for being honest about it, I guess.

WRT 88s in names from the previous page, Nazis be damned, this is my handle since 2003.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

google blob emojis were perfect and the given reason for their elimination was that they viewed the intro of skin tone emojis as as good a time as any to make more standard looking ones. while i think the arguments in favor of skin tone emojis are good and i agree with them i cant help but feel resentful that they helped kill the blob people (with whom i identified more strongly lol)

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im boycotting google for blob genocide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the blob people were absolutely the high point of emoji design. that era also had the cutest animals.

i agree that it's important the depicted emotion is consistent from platform to platform, but you can still do that with the blob men. e.g. in this picture apple and google are emotionally consistent even though google's is a blob, while microsoft didn't quite get it right despite using a circular base.

no idea what samsung is smoking

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 7, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sagebrush posted:

no idea what samsung is smoking

Kimchi?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the dancing blob is probably the single best emoji design ever made

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

speaking of representation its unsurprising android users prefer emoji that reflect the way they look

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

speaking of representation its unsurprising android users prefer emoji that reflect the way they look

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

YeGoblynQueenne 1 hour ago [–]

The article makes a very strenuous effort to make a point about something something racism in rock that sounds a bit boring and trite to my ears. After all, Bon Scott said it best years ago:
In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty five
Man didn't know 'bout a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
(Although, Tchaikovsky? What the...?)
What I want to know is why young black Americans, do not, in their majority, do rock anymore. I get that the music industry always tries to control what gets airtime, but who needs the music industry today, and who needed the music industry in the past? If it was for the music industry, nobody would have heard of Jimi Hendrix- a black man with a guitar? That'll never sell!
Look at metal and how it took hold. Growing up in Athens, Greece, it seemed like every neighbourhood had a metal band and you would never know by looking at billboards, or even coverage in the metal press (a lackey of the music industry, if there ever was one). Euro kids took Rock from the Americans and ran with it and made something new, all ours, and all working class (see the early years of Sabbath and Priest in Manchester; remember the apocryphal story of Ozzy and Tony having one pair of good shoes between them and wearing them on alternate days to go out). Metal quickly became the authentic popular music of entire generations, without ever any need of mainstream acceptance. Metal grew from below, with no help from above and despite the disdainful snorts of mainstream music critics.
So why didn't the black grasroots ever sprout an analogous new rock scene, instead of turning towards the mainstream, big stage, light show, for-profit music that comes from black artists for the last few decades?
Why Rihana and Beyonce, rather than a new Jimi Hendrix? Female, even. Why is Rock 'n' Roll pretty much dead to black kids, nowadays?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

this is the modern version of the “my grandpa fell off the watch tower” joke

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

vxNsr 5 minutes ago [–]

> Since 14% of renters are behind on rent and evictions begin June 30, aren’t vehicle repossessions going to kick in July / August?
> Presumably, due in part to eviction protection, they have been able to divert all or a portion of their rent payments to keeping up with bad car loans for commute vehicles that often will not be needed.
There are gonna be far fewer evictions and/or mortgage defaults than people think, all those ppl who have been out of work are likely making more money right now than they were at the start of the pandemic just from unemployment, additionally bec they’re unemployed they may qualify for their states’ Medicaid benefits and food stamps, not to mention the free school lunches than many states have turned into a basically tons of raw produce and other various meal-making materials delivered/picked up each week. All those extra benefits mean the raw unemployment dollars go farther compared to a normal income creating an effectively higher $/hr wage than if you just look at the $300-600/wk(+state unemployment).
All this distills down to the fact that everyone has been flush with cash the entire time so much so that I know a few people in March 2020 who were behind on rent but due to all the aforementioned benefits were able to pay the rent they owed. Meaning that people having been making rent and/or mortgage for the most part and have probably been living beyond their (normal) means for the last year. If there’s gonna be any sort of correction it’s not coming until mid-2022 at the earliest.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mhh__ 1 hour ago [–]

Connected devices are a good thing - i.e. I should be able to make the washing machine scriptable from my computer, but I bet these solutions are always crap because they are implemented in a hurry by engineers who don't understand either the hardware or software well enough to make it work, so you end up with quasi-useless boss-pleasers like we have now.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

YeGoblynQueenne 1 hour ago [–]

The article makes a very strenuous effort to make a point about something something racism in rock that sounds a bit boring and trite to my ears. After all, Bon Scott said it best years ago:
In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty five
Man didn't know 'bout a rock 'n' roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news
(Although, Tchaikovsky? What the...?)
What I want to know is why young black Americans, do not, in their majority, do rock anymore. I get that the music industry always tries to control what gets airtime, but who needs the music industry today, and who needed the music industry in the past? If it was for the music industry, nobody would have heard of Jimi Hendrix- a black man with a guitar? That'll never sell!
Look at metal and how it took hold. Growing up in Athens, Greece, it seemed like every neighbourhood had a metal band and you would never know by looking at billboards, or even coverage in the metal press (a lackey of the music industry, if there ever was one). Euro kids took Rock from the Americans and ran with it and made something new, all ours, and all working class (see the early years of Sabbath and Priest in Manchester; remember the apocryphal story of Ozzy and Tony having one pair of good shoes between them and wearing them on alternate days to go out). Metal quickly became the authentic popular music of entire generations, without ever any need of mainstream acceptance. Metal grew from below, with no help from above and despite the disdainful snorts of mainstream music critics.
So why didn't the black grasroots ever sprout an analogous new rock scene, instead of turning towards the mainstream, big stage, light show, for-profit music that comes from black artists for the last few decades?
Why Rihana and Beyonce, rather than a new Jimi Hendrix? Female, even. Why is Rock 'n' Roll pretty much dead to black kids, nowadays?

even though i think this post is pretty much top shelf hn theorycrafting from first principles and personal experiences, i am going to go out on a limb and assume that even if there was a kind of underground counterculture that appealed to nonwhite folks, and if it was a kind of aggressive in your face thing like metal, then you bet it would be treated like some illegal violent gang stuff that needs to be outlawed and stamped down

in fact (i did not go and find what the original hn post was about) wasn't there a huge deal with disco music being the devil in 80s (because a lot of black people happened to like it)?

something like how people are now handwringing about sagging pants and headbands - even though metal/punk cultural attire is also frowned upon, if white people are practicing it, they don't get in trouble with law enforcement and other institutions of systemic racism.

besides a lot of metal has some uncomfortable white supremacist undercurrents imo. "why only white ppl listen to burzum" :allears:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Penisface posted:

even though i think this post is pretty much top shelf hn theorycrafting from first principles and personal experiences, i am going to go out on a limb and assume that even if there was a kind of underground counterculture that appealed to nonwhite folks, and if it was a kind of aggressive in your face thing like metal, then you bet it would be treated like some illegal violent gang stuff that needs to be outlawed and stamped down

you mean like rap

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Truman Peyote posted:

you mean like rap

yeah, although i never felt rap and the associated clothing style is so obviously aggressive-violent when compared to metal (leather, studs, spikes, etc.)

can't imagine a rap album titled kill em all either

i guess the difference is that metal is overt and direct in it's messaging, rap not so much really? i don't know too much about rap so i'll not hypothesize further

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Penisface posted:

yeah, although i never felt rap and the associated clothing style is so obviously aggressive-violent when compared to metal (leather, studs, spikes, etc.)

i guess the difference is that metal is overt and direct in it's messaging, rap not so much really? i don't know too much about rap so i'll not hypothesize further

quoting because lmao

edit:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 9, 2021

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hammerite posted:

why are goons constantly terrified that someone somewhere might suspect them of having The Wrong Politics

"i have to use the emojis with the correct skin tone or somebody might think i'm a chud!" no you don't. that's stupid. it's in your head

why would anyone be OK with being considered a chud?

“Hi, I may not be one, but I totally don’t mind if you think I’m a horrible person with horrible opinions!”

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Penisface posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_a_Black_Planet

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
imo it is ok to seek out other perspectives on how your communication might be perceived

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Penisface posted:

lol wtf

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feel like hes talkin 2000s rap and everyone else in the thread is talkin gen x rap

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

feel like hes talkin 2000s rap and everyone else in the thread is talkin gen x rap

party music came out in September 2001 but regardless it’s a p lol to say there’s not any 2000s rap that that would make burzum look like kiss

i feel like its under appreciated that the only black rocker he knows is hendrix

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Mary Mary, why you buggin’?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
varg had to burn down churches to get attention because his music is just sort of inoffensively bland

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Penisface posted:

Listen to some by the Native Tongues collective. If the only rap and hip hop you know is aggressive that's probably overexposure to popular rap which is descended from gangster rap, which BDP and some other people related to the native tongues collective pushed against at the time (as I understand it?). Like I'm not the be-all and end-all of rap knowledge, but there is some really lovely music in the hip hop scene that you can just put on and relax to. MF Doom's special herbs is a total vibe.

Unless.. you're saying rap isn't violent? Absolutely check out gangster rap then. idk.

edit: U.N.I.T.Y. by Latifah is still relevant today and fuckin slaps

:bisonyes:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 12, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neural implant lets paralyzed person type by imagining writing (arstechnica.com)

qwertox 1 minute ago

It would be interesting to see how people compare in speed, assuming that the technology itself is not a bottleneck.

We could directly measure how fast a child thinks, or a CEO vs. a homeless.

Eventually we would be able to pinpoint mental problems by measuring the time it takes to think about a certain topic, check if the mind "locks up" for a couple of seconds on a seemingly unrelated topic which got triggered by the context the mind was thinking about. We could pinpoint the unrelated topic and have a base for a psychotherapy which could be more accurate than by just talking around in order to get to know the patient.

Let's say a group of 10 have to think out the ordering process at a Starbucks where every step has been provided by a list. An average of 20 seconds is used to do this +- 5 seconds. If there is an outlier, one could start to dig deeper into what exactly is making the mind to wander off. Multiple tests in different scenarios could then decide if the outlier is a slow thinker in general, or if it is a certain thing which triggers this wandering off.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

alexandriao posted:

Neural implant lets paralyzed person type by imagining writing (arstechnica.com)

qwertox 1 minute ago

It would be interesting to see how people compare in speed, assuming that the technology itself is not a bottleneck.

Eventually we would be able to pinpoint mental problems by measuring the time it takes to think about a certain topic, check if the mind "locks up" for a couple of seconds on a seemingly unrelated topic which got triggered by the context the mind was thinking about. We could pinpoint the unrelated topic and have a base for a psychotherapy which could be more accurate than by just talking around in order to get to know the patient.

Let's say a group of 10 have to think out the ordering process at a Starbucks where every step has been provided by a list. An average of 20 seconds is used to do this +- 5 seconds. If there is an outlier, one could start to dig deeper into what exactly is making the mind to wander off. Multiple tests in different scenarios could then decide if the outlier is a slow thinker in general, or if it is a certain thing which triggers this wandering off.

oh yeah dude, totally hahaha

*desperately struggles to unlock the car door*

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

qwertox 1 minute ago

hn thread: a CEO vs. a homeless

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
doesn’t this poster know that in English as she is spoke it’s “an homeless?”

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

have any of these people met and worked closely with a ceo before

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

power botton posted:

They like and share Elon Musk's tweets every day. Does that count?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

power botton posted:

they think they see ceo material every time they use a mirror.

(or, um... decide upon a Starbucks order quickly)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
E: nvm bad thread for this

xtal fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 14, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU