Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

redeyes posted:

MQA = DRM. Nothing more. Also probably measures worse than FLAC.

It absolutely measures worse than FLAC, to the point that MQA tries really hard to prevent anyone from measuring. Their excuse is "test tones don't count, it's optimized for music" because I'd imagine the 70 year olds running this poo poo have never heard of Warp Records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Not just worse than FLAC, worse than normal-res. And this has been going on for how many years now? Anyone thinking "I'd better switch to Qobuz" took the wrong lesson from this episode.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FLAC can be CD quality, in fact most of it is.

My new favorite audiophile thing is SACD/DSD weirdos being all butthurt that their precious insane format doesn't have good support because nobody ever bothered using it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

qirex posted:

FLAC can be CD quality, in fact most of it is.

My new favorite audiophile thing is SACD/DSD weirdos being all butthurt that their precious insane format doesn't have good support because nobody ever bothered using it.

FLAC is simply source quality - whatever the quality of the source, that's the quality you get with FLAC, exactly, or else it's no longer lossless. But yes most of them are just made from CDs, I'd assume.

I have an SACD for Dark Side of the Moon and I like it a lot for the 5.1 mix, but I can't see wanting SACD more generally.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

FLAC is simply source quality - whatever the quality of the source, that's the quality you get with FLAC, exactly, or else it's no longer lossless. But yes most of them are just made from CDs, I'd assume.

I have an SACD for Dark Side of the Moon and I like it a lot for the 5.1 mix, but I can't see wanting SACD more generally.

SACD works just fine as a multi-channel FLAC in my experience, I’ve got quite a few 5.1 mixes that I was using for spatial audio research in that format. Hell, even a 6 track WAV is more convenient than a drat DVD.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with SACD is that it might as well be vinyl as far as listening to it in the car or on your PC.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

TOOT BOOT posted:

The problem with SACD is that it might as well be vinyl as far as listening to it in the car or on your PC.

SACD for the car? You want the Sony MEX-DV2000 from 2007

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TOOT BOOT posted:

Buying audiophile grade tyres which produce as little road noise as possible...

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I know a dude who writes insane hifi gear reviews for an obscure online outlet. He owns one of those van type Renault thingies on a regular car platform. Maybe the kangoo, if that still exists? Anyway, he bought it because he was convinced it had better acoustics than a normal car.

e:found it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I know a dude who writes insane hifi gear reviews for an obscure online outlet. He owns one of those van type Renault thingies on a regular car platform. Maybe the kangoo, if that still exists? Anyway, he bought it because he was convinced it had better acoustics than a normal car.

absolute king

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

He's nowhere near the top. Real autoaudiophiles fill the floor and all cavities in their car with concrete, and line the rest of the body with asphalt mats for sound insulation before they start building their sound system.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Those sound deadening mats actually work though and most cars come from the factory with them to silence road noise.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I don't think this belongs here but I didn't really know where else to put it.
It's actually rather anti-audiophile when you think about it. Hiding your speakers behind lampshades...

https://hackaday.com/2021/04/28/lamps-double-as-secret-surround-sound-speakers/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Just build your house inside a giant subwoofer and be done with it. I guess you'll need to be next door to your own private substation for that magical clean power though so might want to build one of those too.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

qirex posted:

So this is interesting: a Youtube guy published his own music [that just happened to include a bunch of test tones, sweeps and full test suite in the songs] to Tidal in MQA and measured the output, the results are incredibly not flattering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc
MQA's predictable response was to call him dumb in an email and get his songs pulled from Tidal. Apparently Tidal is serving lossy 44.1 MQA when there's a high res master instead of FLAC. I guess it's on to Qobuz for me!

From the comments on that video:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can never remember where I saw it, maybe the old Squeezebox forums, but there was this guy who swore up and down FLAC and WAV sounded different and he was using checksums for uncompressed files to prove his point but it turned out it was just that the file names were different.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Just build your house inside a giant subwoofer and be done with it. I guess you'll need to be next door to your own private substation for that magical clean power though so might want to build one of those too.

That makes me wonder if audiophiles are going for solar power. Imagine, your electricity doesn't have to flow through all that filthy commoner wiring before it mates with your precious gear. Now you can control the purity of the power all the way into your system. And the music would have to sound warmer if the gear is powered by the sun.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
solar flares are a bitch though, better to do some kind of geothermal stirling engine

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

edit - wrong thread ignore

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this got recommended to me

https://youtu.be/xP8M2gjl2nw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
that actually seems like an appropriate use of them though.
god I'll bet that sounds atrocious in that room though but whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I also enjoy listening to tweeters through my knees. You need to be wearing the special audiophile pants of course.

Maybe some extra bookshelf speakers could go on top to alleviate the situation.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 5, 2021

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
They're not pants, it's an accoustikilt

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DancingShade posted:

I also enjoy listening to tweeters through my knees. You need to be wearing the special audiophile pants of course.
Spiked shoes?

Fake edit: though not on a treadmill.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think that's fine for its intended purpose. It's a tiny gym space so you'll never be in one place. Not only will the owner be moving from station to station but also the equipment itself will be loud. I assume they were an extra pair of speakers they had lying around otherwise you'd think that they would use smaller higher mounted speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yuns posted:

I think that's fine for its intended purpose. It's a tiny gym space so you'll never be in one place. Not only will the owner be moving from station to station but also the equipment itself will be loud. I assume they were an extra pair of speakers they had lying around otherwise you'd think that they would use smaller higher mounted speakers.

I’m pretty sure Gen IV is the current generation of Cornwall released within the past year, and they aren’t exactly inexpensive speakers (though I guess anything coming in at <$10k/pair could be considered inexpensive in the world of audiophilia)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yuns posted:

There appears to be a calf raise machine and a cable machine in that tiny room and the dumbbells are rubberised, it ain't gonna be that noisy in there :v:

Bit of a waste of nice kit but whatever, as long as he's happy with it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure Gen IV is the current generation of Cornwall released within the past year, and they aren’t exactly inexpensive speakers (though I guess anything coming in at <$10k/pair could be considered inexpensive in the world of audiophilia)
Ouch. Deliberately purchasing those speakers for that space seems aggressively wrong.

Also I know this thread is about dumb audiophiles but the weight equipment selection is inexplicable. Why a calf raise and hyperextension machine and power tower/dip-leg raise station if you have limited space?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 5, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yuns posted:

Ouch. Deliberately purchasing those speakers for that space seems aggressively wrong.

yeah, I think it’s a really bizarre attempt at a flex

one that only a very specific niche of predominantly older, heterosexual men is gonna pick up on

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 5, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Love 2 yeet dumbells through exposed woofers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yuns posted:

Also I know this thread is about dumb audiophiles but the weight equipment selection is inexplicable. Why a calf raise and hyperextension machine and power tower/dip-leg raise station if you have limited space?

That's what puzzled me. I'd have at least got a cage in there with a bench and then you're covered for the important stuff with less equipment. But then you have to realise it's an audiophile's house and what's logical is completely alien to them.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ugh, the EQ settings on that Pioneer 1250 are pretty extreme. Either he doesn't actually like the sound of those speakers or all of that equipment in that small room is doing bizarre things to the sound.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That makes me wonder if audiophiles are going for solar power. Imagine, your electricity doesn't have to flow through all that filthy commoner wiring before it mates with your precious gear. Now you can control the purity of the power all the way into your system. And the music would have to sound warmer if the gear is powered by the sun.

brb, making a 10x normal cost "audiophile" power inverter

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

strtj posted:

Ugh, the EQ settings on that Pioneer 1250 are pretty extreme. Either he doesn't actually like the sound of those speakers or all of that equipment in that small room is doing bizarre things to the sound.

I mean, the music’s hella wack, so maybe the guy’s just trolling?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I certainly wouldn't play anything I didn't want ruined for me.

https://twitter.com/ReaperHipHop/status/1390830469445455872?s=19

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It will probably be the last thing you ever hear so

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Flashbacks to the first time I got to DJ on a real soundsystem :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
all the soundsystem chat over the last month has made me low-key want to build a soundsystem

but then also I would need to get friends to go to events or do gigs with

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

all the soundsystem chat over the last month has made me low-key want to build a soundsystem

You should, if nothing else it's good fun and a learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You should, if nothing else it's good fun and a learning experience.

no dude, if I’m gonna drop $10 grand on fun learning experiences in audio I have a laundry list of things I want to try first

Edit: and they take up exponentially less space

Plus you need a crew, and places to gig and poo poo, and a subculture to participate in. I am a goon.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 10, 2021