Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lots of harping on the boring warcrimes thing but don’t forget the episode or two of just watching all your favorite cute goblins get curb stomped because of magic fairy dust while assholes gloat the whole time.. Because when people complained that the main character was too strong and that made the fights boring that means doing the exact inverse should be great right. Slime treats its viewers the way Overlord treats humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

honestly, is there anyone out there who WOULDN'T wipe out an invading army of genocidal religious zealots if given the opportunity?
If I had to massacre 10-20k humans to obtain eternal youth, it would nigh-exclusively be those dickwaffles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dickwaffles...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show sounds boring

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dragon Goes HouseJob-Hunting made for a real good pick me up after the downer(but still great) episode of the latest Megalobox.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Terrible Opinions posted:

It is remarkable that a show about a super slime went with boring an oddly uncomfortably framed head shot lasers instead of just a big old slime envelopment eating them. It'd even side step the whole warcrimes skill if the baddies just had one second to realize whelp we're boned, instead of spending a full half episode of people begging for their lives and running. But you know the author wanted to have a big scene relishing in his totes justified warcrime.

The justification (which I don't think comes across very well in the anime) is that the enemy army is protected by an anti-magic barrier, precisely because in a world with super powered magic users/monsters/demon lords you don't want your troops wiped out with a well-placed fireball. So instead Slime uses his knowledge of physics and his super-analyzing skill to create a bunch of lenses out of water droplets that focuses sunlight into deadly laser beams, because that doesn't count as magic.

And also because the other played enough RPGs and thought "laser beams raining from the heavens" looked cool.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

dogsicle posted:

there are probably some sick clips of it on sakugabooru, literally the only justification you need imo

honestly the weenie little dewdrops bouncing around headshotting people were visually underwhelming, but not all animated mass-death can be as classy as Prince of Egypt

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

So, I ended up dropping 86 on episode 3 because, while the battles were neat, the jarring tonal differences from scene to scene, misused OST, and pedestrian moral quandaries didn't impress me of the director's skills. Only for me to pick it back up on episode 5 after they revealed the enemy Legion are basically harvesting half-dead 86'ers from the battlefield and digitizing their brains to serve as ghostly commanders of their much-larger-than-previously-thought army. That was metal-as-gently caress enough to get me back in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nemo2342 posted:

The justification (which I don't think comes across very well in the anime) is that the enemy army is protected by an anti-magic barrier, precisely because in a world with super powered magic users/monsters/demon lords you don't want your troops wiped out with a well-placed fireball. So instead Slime uses his knowledge of physics and his super-analyzing skill to create a bunch of lenses out of water droplets that focuses sunlight into deadly laser beams, because that doesn't count as magic.

And also because the other played enough RPGs and thought "laser beams raining from the heavens" looked cool.

Wait, that's what was happening? I thought he was just using those little balls to shoot magic bolts at everyone.

Also him just summoning the trio of demons out of nowhere to clean things up with absolutely zero setup for him having that ability was just wild. It's like the author (director?) has no idea about how to setup abilities of characters.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

It looks boring and completely indistinguishable from any of the show's other laser attacks besides being smaller.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How do you not have the giant army be eaten by a slime. It’s the drat name come on.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also him just summoning the trio of demons out of nowhere to clean things up with absolutely zero setup for him having that ability was just wild. It's like the author (director?) has no idea about how to setup abilities of characters.

This is the one thing that worked for me, I got the impression he didn’t summon them they showed up eager to be underlings.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait, that's what was happening? I thought he was just using those little balls to shoot magic bolts at everyone.

The demon summoning is something he picked up earlier, which I think the anime also either cut or blew past.

In conclusion, the anime is really drat bad about which corners it cuts and ends up shooting itself in the foot regularly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nemo2342 posted:

The demon summoning is something he picked up earlier, which I think the anime also either cut or blew past.

In conclusion, the anime is really drat bad about which corners it cuts and ends up shooting itself in the foot regularly.

drat that sounds familiar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

what happens if a person is hit by a truck and killed and sent to a fantasy world, but then struck by a carriage in the fantasy world and killed

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They end up in the skyrim intro.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The 7th Guest posted:

what happens if a person is hit by a truck and killed and sent to a fantasy world, but then struck by a carriage in the fantasy world and killed

Minky Momo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like i just wrote a gag manga biyori skit if that show still existed

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

TBH I feel like So I'm a Spider has kind of shown up other isekai with overpowered protagonists for me, even the 'good' ones. Seeing Kumoko have to earn every inch she gets through blood and ingenuity makes it feel so much better when she eventually gets really strong right in time for her to get the poo poo kicked out of her again.

shame it doesn't last

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm excitede for when myne in bookworm develops Read or Die powers and has to fight giant monsters made out of books

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat that sounds familiar.

lol are manga fans upset about something spider has done? This is why reading is for fools.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

I guess the ends sometimes do justify the means.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

So, I ended up dropping 86 on episode 3 because, while the battles were neat, the jarring tonal differences from scene to scene, misused OST, and pedestrian moral quandaries didn't impress me of the director's skills. Only for me to pick it back up on episode 5 after they revealed the enemy Legion are basically harvesting half-dead 86'ers from the battlefield and digitizing their brains to serve as ghostly commanders of their much-larger-than-previously-thought army. That was metal-as-gently caress enough to get me back in.

I'm sorry, but... how's that a negative?

One of the best things about 86 is the intentional tonal disparity between Lena's scenes, Shin's scenes, and the battlefield. The cuts help emphasize that, no matter how Lena tries, she's not part of the 86's world, that she's an outsider in ways she can't even recognize.

It's a really good use of the medium to convey emotional nuance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

kater posted:

lol are manga fans upset about something spider has done? This is why reading is for fools.

Reading the LN the anime has done dirty to the human/classmates side of things the most while only being about 70 to 80% of the manga's quality.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm sorry, but... how's that a negative?

One of the best things about 86 is the intentional tonal disparity between Lena's scenes, Shin's scenes, and the battlefield. The cuts help emphasize that, no matter how Lena tries, she's not part of the 86's world, that she's an outsider in ways she can't even recognize.

It's a really good use of the medium to convey emotional nuance.

I was more referring to the tonal disparity between the scenes of the 86'ers themselves. Outside of battle, they do not behave or act anything like slave-soldiers being driven to their death would. I get that the levity of many of those scenes is supposed to serve as a viewing of a desperate squad relishing what little time they have left on Earth, but it doesn't come across that way at all. No human being would act the way they do in the circumstances they are in. It would be as if you were telling a story about a Jewish boy in a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and then interspersed it with a scene where all the prisoners have a goofy pool party where they kick back and relax. It just doesn't work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Malsangoroth posted:

I was more referring to the tonal disparity between the scenes of the 86'ers themselves. Outside of battle, they do not behave or act anything like slave-soldiers being driven to their death would. I get that the levity of many of those scenes is supposed to serve as a viewing of a desperate squad relishing what little time they have left on Earth, but it doesn't come across that way at all. No human being would act the way they do in the circumstances they are in. It would be as if you were telling a story about a Jewish boy in a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and then interspersed it with a scene where all the prisoners have a goofy pool party where they kick back and relax. It just doesn't work.

Schindler's List literally has scenes as you describe.

e to add: The analogy also doesn't quite work when we recall that the 86ers all expect to be reintegrated back into Alban society when the war is over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Malsangoroth posted:

nobody has ever found joy in a joyless situation

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, near as I can tell, they're basically living in a redoubt outside the fortified borders of the country, and have reasonable autonomy apart from having killer robots all around them and a minefield and artillery behind them. There's nobody to prevent them from having fun if they so choose.

It's less of a prison camp and more of a besieged ghetto.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

kater posted:

As a manga-only reader, it's hard to be consistently mad at the anime because they are so wildly different. Though I've certainly gathered from the LN readers that the anime is doing Slime's "hey let's save some time and cut out important characterization bits" hatchet job in respect to the non-spider part of the cast.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nemo2342 posted:

As a manga-only reader, it's hard to be consistently mad at the anime because they are so wildly different. Though I've certainly gathered from the LN readers that the anime is doing Slime's "hey let's save some time and cut out important characterization bits" hatchet job in respect to the non-spider part of the cast.

Basically the 3 versions of spider are all radically different.
LN is... the original. Whatever.
Anime is LN but the standard "Full Speed ahead, cut out less important bits of things" hatchet job that tends to happen in anime a lot.
Manga is actually the really weird one here since it just kind of cuts out the Human characters entirely, at least thus far.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Basically the 3 versions of spider are all radically different.
LN is... the original. Whatever.
Anime is LN but the standard "Full Speed ahead, cut out less important bits of things" hatchet job that tends to happen in anime a lot.
Manga is actually the really weird one here since it just kind of cuts out the Human characters entirely, at least thus far.

Haven't read the LN but from what I've seen of the anime, the point of the non-spider story is to make us appreciate the spider parts more so honestly I don't really fault the manga for this decision.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga also does the spider parts very well. every single fight in the anime has been complete rear end which is a real problem when 99% of kumoko's life in the labyrinth consisted of fights.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

copy posted:

Haven't read the LN but from what I've seen of the anime, the point of the non-spider story is to make us appreciate the spider parts more so honestly I don't really fault the manga for this decision.

I think looking at it from the anime is a bit misleading; the LN actually makes the humans about 90% as interesting as the Kumo parts; a lot legit happens in those chapters that's really interesting. I was thinking when I was originally watching the Anime before I was reading the LN what you said; that the human classmates serve as contrast to the Kumo parts, especially compared to my internalized impression of the Kumo parts from the manga which I had read before going in.

But reading the actually LN and then blazing past the current anime and manga content I'm blown away at just how good the human parts are, they have their own purpose that gels with the spider parts in their own way and it isn't just to make the spider parts better; the work as a whole is better for having them both.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I knew slime was bad news when it made the badass oni girl into a boring normal waifu.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

I knew slime was bad news when it made the badass oni girl into a boring normal waifu.
while I admit I'm basically only reading the manga out of habit at this point, she does get an okay fight against a necromancer(who apparently doesn't get purified by her and becomes her fanboy, which got a chuckle out of me) and Shion is, well, she's an oni with huge boobs in a business suit wielding a giant sword. I like it. I wish they'd kept her old design though, really imo it sucks a lot that for the oni upgrades it was just "look more like a typical anime human" and thus making them way more generic looking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i loathe calling characters "waifus" but i agree that the oni girls are way more badass looking before they get generically prettier designs and that's why i'll never watch slime

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So like are they cramming the ball into the goal? Is that it? Are they all the Cramer? Is the protagonist secretly a ghost?

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Endorph posted:

nobody has ever found joy in a joyless situation

That's veering close to a strawman. Of course people have found joy in joyless situations. But the acting has to sell the believability of it. And the acting in 86 doesn't, not to me. I'll keep watching it, mostly because I want to see some well-animated mechanical carnage, but I suspect this quibble I have with it will never go away. We'll see how I feel about the show as a whole afterwords in the Anime-of-the-Year thread.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What acting what do you even mean it’s drawerings it’s all drawerings.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kater posted:

What acting what do you even mean it’s drawerings it’s all drawerings.

There's absolutely acting in 2D animation and making it believable is a sign of a good animator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's absolutely acting in 2D animation and making it believable is a sign of a good animator.