Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elviscat posted:

Do you not have a lot of central forced air heating then?

Pretty much any central heating in Denmark is water-based, so radiators and floor pipes rather than fuckoff-huge ventilation shafts. Anything air-based tends to be an air/air heat pump with just one or two internal locations it pumps out the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

That's one hell of a hefty ventilation system. Around here, 100mm(about 4") would be the norm for a single room, like a bathroom, while the fan above a stove would be about 6". Pretty much nothing in home ventilation goes above the 6" size, anything bigger is more or less purely for industry.

Also consider using firm pipe rather than flex ducts if you can, they'll be a lot less noisy.

That sounds like you're talking about exhaust fans, rather then HVAC. My whole house air filter called for 8" duct, I'd be surprised if 4" could really heat/cool a room?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

I hadn't checked my bookmarked threads since December and I have to say drat, you've made a ton of progress. I think I'm tired from just reading 8 pages worth of that work. Are you trying to sell it by mid-May?

Yeah, I hadn't seen you post in awhile, I was wondering about you.

Thankfully I'm not selling it yet, I could never get it in saleable condition by then, I won't be able to live here for awhile, so I've gotta get it liveable for a couple kids to house sit/have a place they can live and save up for for an apartment/take care of the kitties etc.

PurpleXVI posted:

Pretty much any central heating in Denmark is water-based, so radiators and floor pipes rather than fuckoff-huge ventilation shafts. Anything air-based tends to be an air/air heat pump with just one or two internal locations it pumps out the heat.

That's how the older bit of the US is, since the 70's or so new builds seem to all have gone to forced air systems, or pure resistive electric, that's what this house had, and heating bills were like $400 a month in winter, I didn't really think of going to a heat pump until I read Kastein's thread, I'd never heard of anyone installing their own central air before he did, he's also helped me out with it outside this thread.

We don't see temperatures much below 0C here during the winter, so a heat pump was a really attractive option for efficiency, and affordable since I can DIY it, having central air installed by a pro would've been more than I could afford, I also didn't really like the idea of mini-splits everywhere, just because they're ugly, mostly. The kitchen will probably get one eventually though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cathedral ceiling over the stairs cathedraled.

Insulation mostly installed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For what it's worth I never considered a heatpump either, in fact I didn't even set out to buy one. It just happened to come as a feature of the AC unit I chose, and then we discovered that it was enough to heat the house even in winter so that was that :v:

Place is looking good, you're really getting moving on this. I've been kind of in a funk on mine and the drat truck keeps breaking and stranding me until I fix it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Cathedral ceiling over the stairs cathedraled.

Insulation mostly installed.

Hell of a lot of progress man, it looks good!

I was about to say it looks like a different house but didn't want to start a philosophical argument :haw:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Elviscat posted:

That's how the older bit of the US is, since the 70's or so new builds seem to all have gone to forced air systems, or pure resistive electric, that's what this house had, and heating bills were like $400 a month in winter, I didn't really think of going to a heat pump until I read Kastein's thread, I'd never heard of anyone installing their own central air before he did, he's also helped me out with it outside this thread.

We don't see temperatures much below 0C here during the winter, so a heat pump was a really attractive option for efficiency, and affordable since I can DIY it, having central air installed by a pro would've been more than I could afford, I also didn't really like the idea of mini-splits everywhere, just because they're ugly, mostly. The kitchen will probably get one eventually though.

Generally unless you have a very large home or one that's split up into a lot of small rooms, a heat pump doesn't really need to be a split version as long as the internal part can be located somewhere relatively centrally. Especially not if you have some internal ventilation for heat distribution(we've got that here, it doesn't provide heat, it just makes sure the house is equally heated and also makes sure we're not huffing the same dust for weeks). Heat pumps can also usually tolerate down to -15C, though of course their efficiency is worse the lower the outside temps are. The alternative is a ground-to-air/water pump, since the temps in the ground tend to be a lot more consistent if you dig down deep enough.

Electric heating is more or less consistently the worst option you can pick in terms of efficiency, though it's got the advantage of being relatively simple and being something you can easily shove into an existing build without having to tear up too much.

Central air is generally so unheard-of here that I wouldn't even know enough to compare it to central water heating. My gut feeling is that it would, once again, depend on how your home is built. If it's got multiple levels, then it'd probably be easier to find space for water pipes than air ducts, and it'd probably also be easier to insulate water pipes to avoid losing heat if you're moving the heat a long distance from the central furnace. Water also has the advantage that it could be used for heated floors, which are muy bueno. I guess the main advantage of central air would be that I could see it requiring less maintenance than central water, no chance of pipe corrosion(hopefully, unless something goes very wrong), a damaged pipe wouldn't lead to water damage, etc. and you wouldn't need to give up any wall space for radiators.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

For what it's worth I never considered a heatpump either, in fact I didn't even set out to buy one. It just happened to come as a feature of the AC unit I chose, and then we discovered that it was enough to heat the house even in winter so that was that :v:

Place is looking good, you're really getting moving on this. I've been kind of in a funk on mine and the drat truck keeps breaking and stranding me until I fix it.

The Ranger making GBS threads the clutch cost me a huge weekend of work, I can't imagine trying to keep your fleet running while doing the house too.

BonerGhost posted:

Hell of a lot of progress man, it looks good!

I was about to say it looks like a different house but didn't want to start a philosophical argument :haw:

Lol.

PurpleXVI posted:

Central air is generally so unheard-of here that I wouldn't even know enough to compare it to central water heating. My gut feeling is that it would, once again, depend on how your home is built. If it's got multiple levels, then it'd probably be easier to find space for water pipes than air ducts, and it'd probably also be easier to insulate water pipes to avoid losing heat if you're moving the heat a long distance from the central furnace. Water also has the advantage that it could be used for heated floors, which are muy bueno. I guess the main advantage of central air would be that I could see it requiring less maintenance than central water, no chance of pipe corrosion(hopefully, unless something goes very wrong), a damaged pipe wouldn't lead to water damage, etc. and you wouldn't need to give up any wall space for radiators.

In-floor water (hydronic) is used on high-end builds out here for sure. It wouldn't buy me anything since it'd just be a water boiler.

One of the big appeals of this system to me is having really good air filtration on it to help keep pollen and cat dander and whatnot out of the air.

And maybe smoke from the more and more frequent wildfires :(

Got the stairwell transom in today, I love how it looks and breaks up the slab-sidedness of this side of the building.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Just checking to see if there's any grilles next to the siding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elviscat posted:

And maybe smoke from the more and more frequent wildfires :(

I've been really happy with both of my Austin Air base model units. They're spendy, but the filter lasts 5 years, made in the USA, real support on the phone with friendly real people, and I couldn't smell smoke in my house mid wildfire here in socal.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Octagonal window needs to be about 6' lower :colbert:

Also, those stairs are going to be noisy as gently caress. Might want to consider adding some insulation under them :v:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
It's looking great so far, been busy getting my own future nightmare and it looks like you've made a lot of progress.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's 8pm, drywall's getting delivered tomorrow, I just finished the ventwork, but I have like 1,000,000 pieces of blocking to install so I can move all my poo poo out of the way of the drywall delivery.

Guess I'm working literally all night.

loving kill me.

Also gently caress my stupid rear end job that hosed my whole week with stupid meetings and appointments.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

rip :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cats are freaking the gently caress out because I'm up so late, Rosie comes downstairs and meows her eyes out every time I stop making noise.

Jules is upset that I'm wiring the strip heat into the air handler instead of petting him.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Drywall didn't show up today, so I did that for nothing :suicide:

At least I don't have to bust rear end wiring and cleaning again tonight and can take my time over the weekend.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh no. Oh well. Spend some time with your cats instead.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Elviscat posted:

Drywall didn't show up today, so I did that for nothing :suicide:

they usually send scouts ahead to see if the meth has been placed, otherwise they don't show

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fishing the SER for the kitchen sub panel, cut a hole from the attic above the old porch/bathroom to the "inaccessible" attic in the addition/kitchen, spotted something weird and went digging.

All that drywall's coming off in one easy sheet...

Werner?

THEY DRYWALLED OVER THE GODDAMN ATTIC LADDER

https://youtu.be/BNFlEXtho1s

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
HAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress

Man that is a whole new level of stupid.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

HAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE gently caress

Man that is a whole new level of stupid.

Holy gently caress. Just... Wow.

Also:

previous owner posted:

Meth!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Have you been up there before? Is there any treasure?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If by "treasure" you mean "mouse poo poo", then yes, lots.

Looking towards the house. That pipe to the right is unsupported 1/2" copper, attached to galvanized in multiple spots OFC. The black tube looking things are bare AL THHN, and the reason I'm up here.

Away from the house.

Slumlord PO signed his name in the glue he used to attach the drywall to the ladder.

This roof is actually pretty nicely built, I was afraid that it'd be full of wasp nests, since I see them flying into the ridge vents all the time, but it's just egg chambers under the lids, screening is intact and has kept them out.

Mice are from the sill being too close to grade, and mice chewing through the siding and running up the walls I can deal with that later when I remodel the kitchen, and I'll upgrade this area to R-30.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can't imagine any situation where drywalling over the attic ladder would see like a solution to any problem, except

Is the price of lumber going to screw you over, or did you get most of your wood purchased before things got crazy?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Drywalling over the attic access is just :psyduck:

Is there actual floorspace in the attic or is just insulation, piping, etc.?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hmm, this attic is full of mouse poo poo. I could spend all day cleaning it or . . . *lightbulb*

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

I can't imagine any situation where drywalling over the attic ladder would see like a solution to any problem, except

Is the price of lumber going to screw you over, or did you get most of your wood purchased before things got crazy?

Fortunately I got all my subflooring purchased before it went crazy, so I'm mostly ok, I still wince every time I have to pick up some 2Xs

EasilyConfused posted:

Drywalling over the attic access is just :psyduck:

Is there actual floorspace in the attic or is just insulation, piping, etc.?

It's pretty low clearance, I can't stand even at the peak.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hmm, this attic is full of mouse poo poo. I could spend all day cleaning it or . . . *lightbulb*

It makes things harder to ignore when it comes out in your kitchen :smith:

:barf:

I suck sooooo loving bad at estimating time frames, I set out to "finish up the last few things" before drywall at 9am yesterday, I finished at....... 1 pm today, 28 hour straight marathon session (with a 2 hour break to pull my idiot cat out of the attic, how the gently caress was she able to climb that attic ladder?)

But I'm ready for drywall.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elviscat posted:

how the gently caress was she able to climb that attic ladder?

answer: is cat

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Are you hanging all of that or did you make the right choice?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I might be blind but don't you need more outlet boxes done before drywall?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm spending two days kayaking and camping while my drywall (hopefully) gets hung.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

answer: is cat

kastein posted:

I might be blind but don't you need more outlet boxes done before drywall?

There's one every 11' max, at least one is hidden under the stairs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh gotcha.

I went overboard and put them every 6ft, I'm still not used to looking at anything between "maybe one ungrounded outlet per room" 1940s electrification and "one step below groverhaus" outlet overkill :v:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Elviscat posted:

(with a 2 hour break to pull my idiot cat out of the attic, how the gently caress was she able to climb that attic ladder?)

So that's why they drywalled over the ladder.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Elviscat posted:

I'm spending two days kayaking and camping while my drywall (hopefully) gets hung.

Kastein, you, I? We need to start a support group for people traumatized by prior homeowner decisions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

You are a very brave man to leave the drywallers to their own devices.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are they going to drywall over the attic again? :ohdear:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Take only pictures, leave only mysteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they going to drywall over the attic again? :ohdear:

I'm imagining elviscat returning home to find the outside of the house covered in perfectly smooth drywall with no entrance or windows. He scratches his head, grabs both cats, gets in his car and leaves for good.