Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Mr. Humalong posted:

am i too late? the OP says to keep signing up

:siren: What’s that you say? It sounds like the “technicality” siren has gone off! Just as there is no rule that a dog can’t play baseball, there is no rule that someone can’t signup to a game in progress!

However, this wouldn’t be WIFOA if you didn’t have arbitrary game situations to call each scummy about! So, you few, you proud, you WIFOA players, this is in your hands. If you want some hum up in here, you need to post ##Stumpify the Hum in thread before the end of day 1.

A stumpify action is irrevocable. You can’t unstumpify. If more than 50% of the living players have posted a stumpify action at the end of day 1 (after resolving any execution), Humalong will join you for night 1 twilight debauchery and day 2 delights. He may or may not have a win condition or a power. He will NOT be able to vote or be killed. He will not be a living stump in the game after the end of day 2.

The power is yours. Choose wisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

##Stumpify the Hum

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##Stumpify the Hum

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!
Demon Summoning Program, execute!

##Stumpify the Hum

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

merk posted:

Solus not coming back today at all is scummy thinking about it further.

This is absolutely correct. Solus must avoid appearing scummy today to survive, and going into a hard lurker nosedive is a potential strategy if you are very, very worried about saying the wrong thing. If Solus does not manifest by end of day, I am more than willing to either vote Solus or (if it winds up being an option) testify against Solus in lurker court, however that works.

That said

merk posted:

You can't shoot your shot, not really explain it, and then do nothing the rest of the day. I could see scum buddies telling Solus to stop posting to see where the day goes. That is definitely the smartest move as scum after taking that shot.

dy. posted:

- Solus's vig shot sucks if he is town. Pretty smart move if he's scum; no one is talking about him as an execution target right now.

This gave me a huge gut ping. Why do we have multiple people trying to say that Scum Solus played well when all Scum Solus has done so far is draw a lot of attention to himself and completely fail to recover?

When I thought about it, with my head, I realized that merk was saying that Solus looks scummy because retreating after that shot could be a solid scum strategy, but it's gone on long enough that merk is now suspicious, which makes sense

I haven't really felt that merk was scummy otherwise, and the biggest problem with dy's allegation here is that it has no basis in reality (whereas merk's post does), so for now I'm gonna say the vibe I got was wrong and they're not pushing the same bad narrative

(You can also say that dy's read on merk would make a lot of sense if they're colluding, but merk's play stands on its own so I'm not really prepared to call their synchronicity collusion at this time)

But this was a good reminder for me of that other dy comment disconnectedly praising Scum Solus. I am in no hurry to move my vote.

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

I feel like I'm getting a bit too laser-focused, though. I need to look more closely at like, steak/oa or something

Mr. Steak posted:

i literally just got done saying i wasn't gonna vote for people i think are scummy. but now i just may

Even if it means deciphering Mafia as arcane and esoteric as this

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AT-LOW posted:

Even if it means deciphering Mafia as arcane and esoteric as this

lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AT-LOW posted:

[cut to save space]

i have read this post 3 times and i am convinced you are accidentally swapping around the names of dy, merk, and solus. because i literally cannot follow this for the life of me.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AT-LOW posted:

but it's gone on long enough that merk is now suspicious

did you mean solus here....?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AT-LOW posted:

dy's read on merk

and did you mean solus here too.....?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you're trying to say that dy and merk are scum together, but it sounds like the post was written by a neural network lol

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

##stumpify the hum

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

Mr. Steak posted:

did you mean solus here....?

merk is now suspicious [of solus]

Mr. Steak posted:

and did you mean solus here too.....?

dy's read on merk [is "merk is town, except I never read merk as town! What's going on!?" which is saying merk is town while also preparing for merk to flip scum]

Mr. Steak posted:

i think you're trying to say that dy and merk are scum together, but it sounds like the post was written by a neural network lol

I'm saying I had a strong gut inclination towards it when they both appeared to praise Scum Solus, but when I actually dissect merk's posts I don't think merk is scum, so I'm not really prepared to accuse merk based solely on dy

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok

AT-LOW
Mar 18, 2021

Battle routine, set!

It's a 0-progress sentiment, yes

I just felt so strongly about it in the moment I read it that I wanted to post about it even after I reread the post and understood it was perfectly rational and not necessarily indicative of a similar mindset

If I was a mason I would probably put that kind of thing in the masonry, but for now thread is the best place to put my questionable ruminations

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I do like the thought process. Very genuine content.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

##stumpify the hum

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

merk posted:

I do like the thought process. Very genuine content.

I feel like this is how AT-LOW posts in every game I've seen.

AT-LOW, have you been scum in recent memory so I can peruse that game?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
[quote="Grandicap" post="514615012"]
##stumpify the hum
[/quote

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Apologies that I'm a big time lurker right now. I may have time to catch up tonight but I'm single-dadding a puppy through Wednesday afternoon so I'm totally at her mercy today and tomorrow.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

sure sure ##stumpify the hum

Grandicap posted:

I feel like this is how AT-LOW posts in every game I've seen.

AT-LOW, have you been scum in recent memory so I can peruse that game?

I agree, although maaaaaaybe I could see AT-LOW being a bit more... concerned about appearances?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Philip J. Fry posted:

Apologies that I'm a big time lurker right now. I may have time to catch up tonight but I'm single-dadding a puppy through Wednesday afternoon so I'm totally at her mercy today and tomorrow.

What does the puppy think about Hal?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

merk posted:

[quote="Grandicap" post="514615012"]
##stumpify the hum
[/quote

Hey you messed up your quote.

And probably mine quoting you? I can't preview this on my phone

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

Hey you messed up your quote.

And probably mine quoting you? I can't preview this on my phone

broken quotes are used to empty-quote in a way that still parses actions properly

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i am very intentionally not voting to stumpify humalong.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the main reason is that he would probably find some way to kill me, and im not in favor of introducing more ways for me to die early.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it'll probably happen anyway tho. just saying my thoughts on the matter

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(humalong being stumped, i mean. not me dying early)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mr. Steak posted:

(humalong being stumped, i mean. not me dying early)

What are your thoughts on dying early steak? Pro or against?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Oh, and a heads up to the thread, I'm getting my second vaccine dose this afternoon, so we'll see if I'm around for deadline or feeling like death.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

merk posted:

On a reread, this plan sounds like SNG sat down and came up with it genuinely. I don't agree with it at all, but it seems like a real thing he did rather than scum faking it.

dang, merk, then why the vote at all

b-minus1 posted:

I just read solus’ posts and I’m not really getting scummy vibes. But if he doesn’t come back to the game I’d vote him out

you hedge like a scum gardener, vote or get off the pot

anyway ##stumpify the hum

at-low's defense of me is weird and I don't need someone defending me, it's day 1, why are you so sure of my alignment

AT-LOW posted:

This is absolutely correct. Solus must avoid appearing scummy today to survive, and going into a hard lurker nosedive is a potential strategy if you are very, very worried about saying the wrong thing. If Solus does not manifest by end of day, I am more than willing to either vote Solus or (if it winds up being an option) testify against Solus in lurker court, however that works.

and now you're hedging just as hard as binus

grandicap is really the only one voting me that's reasonable, keane is latching on to a goon immediately firing their dayvig as if that's not something that happens, and it feels very disingenuous

my scum reads are as follows:
at-low
keane
binus

also jesus gently caress you guys sometimes I want to go and do things on a weekend that aren't posting in a mafia game

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandicap posted:

What are your thoughts on dying early steak? Pro or against?

i want to survive in this game

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

oh right also SNG's voting me just for dumb math reasons, and that never works out on Day 1 unless you're scum trying to 'helpfully play the odds' except you're not actually playing any of the odds since you know who your scumbuds are

##vote sng

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
That wasn’t a hedge post lol. I don’t think you’re scum but also don’t have a problem voting out a lurker d1.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

That wasn’t a hedge post lol. I don’t think you’re scum but also don’t have a problem voting out a lurker d1.

I think a lurkervote d1 is a terrible idea, because it just pushes the D1 lack of content onto D2 but that's ~opinions~, but I get what you're saying now.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I basically? Forgot about this game, even now I'll be pretty distracted. I think its SUS that no one is trying to lurker execute me as far as I know.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Toalpaz posted:

I basically? Forgot about this game, even now I'll be pretty distracted. I think its SUS that no one is trying to lurker execute me as far as I know.

look if it makes you feel better I'll promise to try and shoot you tomorrow

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Suspicious because your scumbuddies are protecting you? Like I'm not sure what you are implying.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

I’d be ok with a Keane vote. feels a little bit like he’s going for low-hanging fruit. Not passionate about it yet though.

I think that I will base all of my opinions of this game by people's reads of keane now, because this is a pretty garbage post in a vacuum. Its a promise to vote with 2 hedge statements on day one lol.

CCKeane posted:

Anyway I feel like Solus was just shooting wildly and then was going to let a scumbuddy retreat with some "Well no way scum would shoot like that!!!!" Or some nonsense. Feels bad to me!

I don't think that this is a good read of the russian roulette role situation.

CCKeane posted:

Shooting immediately from the hip, particularly randomly, feels like an effort to hide scumminess behind whackiness.

Again, as we've seen. VIA bif. In the past. Historically town do try and shoot sometimes. With no supplemental read of solus this might be a good conversation piece for d1 but it isn't a good scum read of solus.

Anyways I read through the rest of Keanes posts and it really feels like scum taking an easy day latching on to Town that might have vigged town.

##vote Keane

Through the reread it looks like sandwolf was scum bussing Keane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Grandicap posted:

Suspicious because your scumbuddies are protecting you? Like I'm not sure what you are implying.

what a sus thing to say