Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Carnage is such a dogshit character and the first film had a proto-carnage anyway so I wish they could have done something different. At least the Brock/Venom interactions still look fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Laughing Zealot posted:

Carnage is such a dogshit character and the first film had a proto-carnage anyway so I wish they could have done something different. At least the Brock/Venom interactions still look fun.

I hadn't really thought of that, but they did basically do the Carnage storyline already. The difference is this proto-carnage will just be crazier, I guess?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's like when Venom got his own comic series for a bit and the first story was like "what if Venom had to fight, uh, evil Venoms that are bright yellow/red/etc., totally unique from and unrelated to the character Carnage"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Woody Harrelson, like Stanley Tucci and Jason Alexander, is an actor in it just for the hairpieces.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neo Rasa posted:

It's like when Venom got his own comic series for a bit and the first story was like "what if Venom had to fight, uh, evil Venoms that are bright yellow/red/etc., totally unique from and unrelated to the character Carnage"

One was a woman symbiote that was crazy, so it is actually different.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Woody Harrelson, like Stanley Tucci and Jason Alexander, is an actor in it just for the hairpieces.

Unlike Jason Issacs, who will take a hairpiece but is mostly in it for the uniform coats.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

In comics and movie alike, I like that "Venom", "Carnage" and all the other symbiote names are, well, actually their names or at least what they chose to call themselves. They are like a lovely teenage punk band.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Unlike Jason Issacs, who will take a hairpiece but is mostly in it for the uniform coats.

His ridiculous high elf wig in whatever Harry Potter movie that was certainly qualifies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God, it's just not funny at all. I think that's my main problem with the first - the humour isn't clicking.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

God, it's just not funny at all. I think that's my main problem with the first - the humour isn't clicking.

are you trying to tell me you didn't laugh at the restaurant scene with the lobsters?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not even a smirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3ZOCRgJZM

Thing is I really like Tom Hardy and Venom is a really cool concept.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I don't care how bad it might turn out, I can't throw my money at the Carnage movie fast enough. Sometimes all you want is Rule of Cool baby :allears:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

His ridiculous high elf wig in whatever Harry Potter movie that was certainly qualifies.

The whole outfit rules, unfortunately halfway through Order of the Phoenix he starts wearing this sub-Game-of-Thrones trash that doesn't even fit by the end of Deathly Hallows:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, I'm wholly on board with more Tom Hardy Venom and VERY on board with Carnage.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I still think Jackie Earle Haley would make a better Cletus than Woody, but it's looking better than I though it would be.

Edit: I'm still prepared to burn down the theatre though if the movie doesn't have Green Jelly playing Carnage Rules during the end credits.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 10, 2021

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Really dying to see a Zack Snyder Venom movie, that poo poo would be bonkers and you know he's chomping at the bit to make one.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Parrotine posted:

Really dying to see a Zack Snyder Venom movie, that poo poo would be bonkers and you know he's chomping at the bit to make one.

Is he?

I thought he said he wants to do small budget movies and isn't doing anything except Zombie movies, an animated movie about Norse Mythology, and Ayn Rand adaptions for the foreseeable future.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
He cancelled the Rand stuff because he read the loving room and also lack of WB love

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is he?

I thought he said he wants to do small budget movies and isn't doing anything except Zombie movies, an animated movie about Norse Mythology, and Ayn Rand adaptions for the foreseeable future.

You're right, he has no plans to do more superhero films, just from what I've seen through his scripts and interviews he seems to really dig the character in general. There were early drafts of Man of Steel where he had Superman's suit and cape act like a symbiote for Big Blue, that screams Let Me Do This I Am So Ready.

But it seems like working for WB burned him out and I don't blame him one bit.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

he commented that he’d love to make a Star Wars movie but doesn’t think he’d survive it. he’s probably right and whatever movie they let him make would be neutered and bland anyway, but gently caress i wish there was a way

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Parrotine posted:

There were early drafts of Man of Steel where he had Superman's suit and cape act like a symbiote for Big Blue, that screams Let Me Do This I Am So Ready.

That was J.J. Abrams' Superman Flyby, which also includes the suit ripping all of 14 year old Clark's clothes off and sucking him inside of it for some reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Style posted:

That was J.J. Abrams' Superman Flyby, which also includes the suit ripping all of 14 year old Clark's clothes off and sucking him inside of it for some reason.

:chloe:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Well, it was the script that got Bryan Singer on board for Superman Returns.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Superman Flyby is significantly worse than Kevin Smith's Superman Returns script, and that's really saying something.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like that Man of Steel basically made the super suit Kryptonian longjohns.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I don't think I like venom being so chipper. It doesn't feel right.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Mandrel posted:

he commented that he’d love to make a Star Wars movie but doesn’t think he’d survive it. he’s probably right and whatever movie they let him make would be neutered and bland anyway, but gently caress i wish there was a way

He wouldn't, definitely. But I very much want him to make an epic sci-fi/fantasy thing like Star Wars. The beginning of Man of Steel is better than most if not all of the Disney-Lucasfilm material, so I'm in for more of that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zack Snyder's Independence Day

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Andy Serkis (???) directed the Venom sequel. He gave a "director's commentary" of the trailer and basically gave away the entire plot if you can connect a few obvious dots.

Non-spoiler, but kind of lame: Carnage doesn't just have all the same powers as Venom and the villain in the previous movie! He can also turn into mist!

Serkis confirms that "Venom is in his own universe and no heroes like Spider-man have been discovered or are known of in this world... yet"

The basic plot beats:

- It's 1.5 years after the end of the first movie.
- Cletus will only talk to Eddie Brock because he relates to him (both had bad childhoods/are loners).
- The police want Brock to keep talking to Cletus to get him to disclose the locations of the bodies of his victims.
- One of the previous symbiotes spawned a new symbiote.
- Ne'er-do-wells got their hands on it and have been using it to experiment on a woman in Ravencroft (Shriek).
- Shriek has psychic powers that make her an ideal host for the symbiote and she can make supersonic sound waves.
- Shriek knew Cletus as a child and they were ~*lovers*~ that developed a strong connection.
- When Cletus is going to get executed, Shriek somehow gets Carnage to bond with him to save his life.
- Cletus does a bunch of bad stuff and his obsession with Eddie leads him to try and kill him.
- Cletus eventually GOES TOO FAR and does something bad to Shriek.
- Shriek uses ~*sound waves*~ to remove Carnage from Cletus.
- Cletus is probably defeated or eaten.

Seems pretty by the numbers.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 11, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I demand Maximum Carnage

But will settle for all actors going absolute HAM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Two movies in a row where the villain has the exact same powers (plus mist) as the hero is kind of uninspired.

Not even a "dark mirror," but literally the same aesthetic and powers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Robot Style posted:

That's like Whedon's Wonder Woman where the suit was alive and when Wonder Woman is killed in battle it leaves her corpse and then binds itself to whatever woman it finds first and then that woman is the new Wonder Woman until she dies.

Appropriately for all the Venom chat, living suits were a thing in these 00s superhero movie concepts. Like some longterm trickle down of Venom and the T-1000 in the early 90s.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

He wouldn't, definitely. But I very much want him to make an epic sci-fi/fantasy thing like Star Wars. The beginning of Man of Steel is better than most if not all of the Disney-Lucasfilm material, so I'm in for more of that.

There's a Kryptonian pilot who appears for about two seconds and it's one of the most gorgeous costumes (well, helmets) I've seen in a film. I want a lot more of Zack Snyder space opera stuff.

Zack Snyder's Durham Red.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Appropriately for all the Venom chat, living suits were a thing in these 00s superhero movie concepts. Like some longterm trickle down of Venom and the T-1000 in the early 90s.

Can't blame them; it's a cool idea, opens up a lot of fun visuals (can't name a scene/panel of someones' suit melting away to reveal their face that i've hated), and gives the protagonist someone to banter with in any particular scene.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think ideally Zack Snyder tag teaming with like Greta Gerwig for a Saga adaptation would be a good movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think I like venom being so chipper. It doesn't feel right.

Why not? The goo LOVES earth, it said so in the previous one

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Two movies in a row where the villain has the exact same powers (plus mist) as the hero is kind of uninspired.

Not even a "dark mirror," but literally the same aesthetic and powers.

Venom seems to have the early but perennial superhero movie problem where the villain has to be connected to the hero because they can't possibly have any source of superpowers outside of the same one the protagonist has, so you end up with either this or comical mismatches with powerless thugs and tech bros.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venom seems to have the early but perennial superhero movie problem where the villain has to be connected to the hero because they can't possibly have any source of superpowers outside of the same one the protagonist has, so you end up with either this or comical mismatches with powerless thugs and tech bros.

The only superhero film I've seen where the villain had no personal/superpower connection to the hero was The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger's Joker didn't kill Bruce's parents or turn out to be his half-brother. The Joker is just force of nature crazy and realizes that he is endlessly entertained by pushing Batman's buttons.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

josh04 posted:

Taking this opportunity to post one of the greatest entrances in motion picture history :

https://i.imgur.com/2ANmnFM.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Aw really? Dang, must have got my wires crossed, my bad.