Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple releases Safari 14.1, this time they really mean it :siren:

Available in Software Update on Macs running the latest Mojave, Catatonic..

Apple posted:

Safari 14.1 includes improvements and bug fixes.

• Start Page section order can now be customized

• Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page

• Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation

• WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support

• Fixes an issue where iCloud Tabs do not appear in Safari.

Yeah, you two in the back that wanted Vorbis support..

this update updates Safari on Mojave and The Cat to 14.1, build 15611.1.21.161.7, 15611.. this fix was already rolled into Big Spur 11.3.1..

93.5 measly MB on Intels..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
gently caress I was hoping they'd address this "problem repeatedly occurred" stuff in Safari that's made my Dad's installation useless.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy good gravy do I wish Chrome would do back/forward two-finger swiping like Safari does, with the whole page overlaying over the current one so you can pull it into view and peek at it and put it away again without actually navigating all the way to it, instead of that dumb little arrow-tab thing that fades into view on the left or right edge and you never know whether you pulled far enough for it to "take"

Or failing that I wish Safari would figure out how to anchor to the forums post that the "last read" point in your bookmarks links to and doesn't reflow it into some unknowable netherworld as soon as the embedded tweets all expand, like Chrome seems to have no trouble doing

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm just waiting for the 16 inch MBP so I can run awful.app on my Mac.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Follow up to my MBP wifi woes: I have no idea what the gently caress it was but it's no longer happening anymore :confused:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Binary Badger posted:

Intel or M1? Did 11.3.1 work for you?

Intel, but I've also swapped docks to a CalDigit for other reasons. I did the upgrade last night, and it didn't crash this morning, so... maybe?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple releases Safari 14.1, this time they really mean it :siren:

Available in Software Update on Macs running the latest Mojave, Catatonic..

Yeah, you two in the back that wanted Vorbis support..

this update updates Safari on Mojave and The Cat to 14.1, build 15611.1.21.161.7, 15611.. this fix was already rolled into Big Spur 11.3.1..

93.5 measly MB on Intels..
how about some FLAC support in music.app you rear end holes!!!!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can anyone recommend a decent clipboard manager? Preferably something free/cheap that doesn't send all my copies to a dodgy server.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent clipboard manager? Preferably something free/cheap that doesn't send all my copies to a dodgy server.

The one build into Alfred is pretty sweet

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Holy good gravy do I wish Chrome would do back/forward two-finger swiping like Safari does, with the whole page overlaying over the current one so you can pull it into view and peek at it and put it away again without actually navigating all the way to it, instead of that dumb little arrow-tab thing that fades into view on the left or right edge and you never know whether you pulled far enough for it to "take"

Or failing that I wish Safari would figure out how to anchor to the forums post that the "last read" point in your bookmarks links to and doesn't reflow it into some unknowable netherworld as soon as the embedded tweets all expand, like Chrome seems to have no trouble doing

That seems to be the only good thing about Chrome. Have you tried Firefox?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not lately, but ...

It seems to behave identically to Chrome, including the little left/right arrow tab things instead of the Safari-style pull-over.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

nexxai posted:

The one build into Alfred is pretty sweet

Seconded.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xabi posted:

I use iClip, myself. It's pretty solid.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've run into some limitations of iMovie (can't export 60fps if the source is bigger than 1080p, forced 16:9 crop rectangle) so I'm looking for a replacement. The video editing I do is pretty light, just trimming and cropping 60fps game recordings down to small shareable clips.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a (preferably free) video editor?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Actuarial Fables posted:

I've run into some limitations of iMovie (can't export 60fps if the source is bigger than 1080p, forced 16:9 crop rectangle) so I'm looking for a replacement. The video editing I do is pretty light, just trimming and cropping 60fps game recordings down to small shareable clips.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a (preferably free) video editor?

DaVinci Resolve. It's probably overkill for what you're doing but really is a fantastic free program.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Somehow I trimmed, cropped, and exported video but my 5 second clip somehow has an extra two hours added on now. But it is 60fps so this will work, thanks!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What's the deal with running a Big Sur VM in Big Sur on the M1s? One thing my 2014 MBP struggles with is running an OSX VM smoothly, so I'm wondering how well it works/is possible for when I eventually upgrade.

This is a surprisingly hard thing to Google, because it always assume you mean the host machine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, just installed pfSense 2.5.1 on a 2012 Mac Mini, with both the OEM 1 TB HDD and a 512GB Hynix Gold SSD (pfSense on the SSD.)

It automatically recognized the Built-in Ethernet (claims its a Broadcom Gigabit) and also auto-recognized the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet..

Should be good enough to manage my coming gigabit connection (it's 400 at the moment) and the gaggle of IoT and other network devices

Thought about an EdgeRouter Lite 3, but Ubiquiti seems to be getting raked over the coals lately for their security mistakes, and why not put the Mini to good use?

Apple decided to cut it off from Big Sur anyway..

Plus the 8 GB of RAM is a lot more than the 512 MB of RAM that I'd get on the ERL-3.. hopefully that and the 2.6 GHz quad-core will compensate for the lack of hardware acceleration/offloading I'd get on ERL-3..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 11, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bobstar posted:

What's the deal with running a Big Sur VM in Big Sur on the M1s? One thing my 2014 MBP struggles with is running an OSX VM smoothly, so I'm wondering how well it works/is possible for when I eventually upgrade.

This is a surprisingly hard thing to Google, because it always assume you mean the host machine.

It doesn't work today. It might in the future.

Mike Roy, VMWare manager posted:

macOS VMs are not in scope in the short term. There are challenges there which will require Apple to work with us to resolve.

Basically, VMWare needs more information and support from Apple on the Apple Silicon boot process before they can commit to a product. Until then, they're focused on supporting Linux VMs on Apple Silicon.

As far as I know, Parallels does not yet boot macOS on M1. However, based on their willingness to market running the Windows Insider preview, they might be more willing to hack something together without Apple's support. (It isn't actually legal to run ARM Windows on Parallels on a M1 Mac, even though it's easy to do.)

In summary, things are still a little murky on what operating systems will be fully supported as VM guests on Apple Silicon. I think there's reasons to be optimistic, that the wheels are just turning and it's gonna take a little while for big corporations to be ready to announce things, but for now we have to wait.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, just installed pfSense 2.5.1 on a 2012 Mac Mini, with both the OEM 1 TB HDD and a 512GB Hynix Gold SSD (pfSense on the SSD.)

After the pfSense WireGuard debacle earlier this year, you shouldn't be installing it on anything imo.

Having read into other drama related to pfSense, that was probably a good idea even before the WireGuard thing, but after? There's simply no reason to believe pfSense knows how to write secure code, contract for others to write secure code, etc.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, nobody's tried to break into my connection yet.. but I guess I'll make an OpnSense bootup drive tomorrow..

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

BobHoward posted:

It doesn't work today. It might in the future.

Basically, VMWare needs more information and support from Apple on the Apple Silicon boot process before they can commit to a product. Until then, they're focused on supporting Linux VMs on Apple Silicon.

As far as I know, Parallels does not yet boot macOS on M1. However, based on their willingness to market running the Windows Insider preview, they might be more willing to hack something together without Apple's support. (It isn't actually legal to run ARM Windows on Parallels on a M1 Mac, even though it's easy to do.)

In summary, things are still a little murky on what operating systems will be fully supported as VM guests on Apple Silicon. I think there's reasons to be optimistic, that the wheels are just turning and it's gonna take a little while for big corporations to be ready to announce things, but for now we have to wait.
The responses to that article are hilarious, especially considering the whole licensing thing.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mercurius posted:

The responses to that article are hilarious, especially considering the whole licensing thing.

Yeah, VMWare has long been consistent about not wanting to piss other companies off by making license violations easy for VMWare users. They weren't gonna change that policy now just because everyone's excited about M1.

For example, Apple's MacOS X licenses used to prohibit running it on anything but bare metal Apple-manufactured hardware. During that time, VMWare explicitly did not support Mac guests. Then one year (presumably after years of people lobbying) Apple added language to the Mac OS X Server license which permitted running it as a guest so long as the host hardware was a Mac. But since that was only added to the Server license, VMWare still refused to allow virtualizing the "Client" edition of OS X.

(eventually Apple smoothed that out too iirc)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

italian quid posted:

DaVinci Resolve. It's probably overkill for what you're doing but really is a fantastic free program.

Seconded. It’s amazing.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think I fixed my Touch Bar problem. I drained the MacBook Pro battery completely and charged it back up and the issue seems to be completely gone. I wish Apple told me to try that. I'm going to keep monitoring it and if the issue doesn't crop back up, going to cancel my fruit stand appointment this Friday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just had the dumbest thing just happen.

I’m playing a game where one of the characters is named something that sounds like siri.

I’m also updating my MBP next to me. So the Mac is updating and it’s on the Apple logo with the bar under it. The game says the characters name and the MBP actually responded during the middle of the update.

The other dumb thing is that my MBP responds but my HomePod doesn’t lol.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Has Time Machine become garbage in Big Sur? I constantly have issues with whatever external drive I use. I think it killed my last one, which was only a few months old, but was a replacement for a failed drive under warranty so could have been a dodgy refurb. For a while I had to keep wiping it it clean and starting fresh. Eventually, it just stopped recognizing it altogether. Now it's been unable to recognize my new one a few times until I unplug it/plug it back in. Had it for a week.

It's going through a CalDigit dock, the one that's too much money but works well. Has no problems recognizing my other drive, speakers, etc (although it didn't recognize a monitor this morning waking from sleep).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Has Time Machine become garbage in Big Sur? I constantly have issues with whatever external drive I use. I think it killed my last one, which was only a few months old, but was a replacement for a failed drive under warranty so could have been a dodgy refurb. For a while I had to keep wiping it it clean and starting fresh. Eventually, it just stopped recognizing it altogether. Now it's been unable to recognize my new one a few times until I unplug it/plug it back in. Had it for a week.

It's not necessarily Big Sur — it was just your time to finally succumb to Time Machine's general random garbage--ness. It's just not a very good feature and has been unreliable since its introduction. It was just unreliable in very unpredictable and uneven ways, where you'd have no issues for ages until one day, it just fell apart at the seams. The only change that ever really mattered was when they moved from a basic symlinked file system to storing everything in sparse bundles. That was quite a while ago, and all it did was make it even more unreliable and also more troublesome to browse (all those tiny bands would clog up the directory structure). It's possibly the latter that has somehow worn out your drives.

I'm being thoroughly unhelpful here, but really, just look for a different backup solution — TM isn't it. It works for some lightweight every-day OS-integrated file history and versioning, but do not rely on it to actually keep any data safe because it won't.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tippis posted:

It's not necessarily Big Sur — it was just your time to finally succumb to Time Machine's general random garbage--ness. It's just not a very good feature and has been unreliable since its introduction. It was just unreliable in very unpredictable and uneven ways, where you'd have no issues for ages until one day, it just fell apart at the seams. The only change that ever really mattered was when they moved from a basic symlinked file system to storing everything in sparse bundles. That was quite a while ago, and all it did was make it even more unreliable and also more troublesome to browse (all those tiny bands would clog up the directory structure). It's possibly the latter that has somehow worn out your drives.

I'm being thoroughly unhelpful here, but really, just look for a different backup solution — TM isn't it. It works for some lightweight every-day OS-integrated file history and versioning, but do not rely on it to actually keep any data safe because it won't.

Yeah I have Backblaze too. What's a better solution? I use CCC for backing up my media drive, maybe I'll see how that works as my main, frequent on-site backup.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Sur has been absolutely making GBS threads the bed when it comes to syncing my photos from my iphone via iCloud. I noticed that suddenly I had almost 2 weeks of photos not showing up on my mac. I was able to fix it once via restarting my MBP but it continues to happen and it's really driving me nuts. I blame BS because syncing is fine between my iphone and ipad. Does anyone else have problems like this and is there a solution?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a way to find out what the hell made a notification sound? I'm on 11.3.1 and occasionally, out of the blue when I'm not using the thing, a loud notification sound plays. I can't see anything in the notifications history, I can't see any icons badged, but it keeps giving me a fright!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

The only change that ever really mattered was when they moved from a basic symlinked file system to storing everything in sparse bundles. That was quite a while ago, and all it did was make it even more unreliable and also more troublesome to browse (all those tiny bands would clog up the directory structure). It's possibly the latter that has somehow worn out your drives.

TM never used symlinks, it's hardlinks all the way down. It was built around one of the all-time simultaneously brilliant and awful hacks: directory hard links, a very special HFS+ feature created exclusively for use by Time Machine. (Nothing else shipped by Apple knows how to create or manipulate directory hard links, and it's only possible for TM to work with directory hardlinks on locally-mounted HFS+ volumes.)

And that brings us to sparse bundles. They didn't actually change how TM worked, they were just an additional abstraction layer (put the TM backup volume inside a sparse bundle disk image) to work around the limitations of a different abstraction layer (no network file system protocol on the planet supports directory hard links). By mounting the HFS+ volume inside the disk image locally, TM got access to all the special HFS+ sauce required for it to function.

If you mount a TM sparsebundle yourself, what you'll find inside is exactly the same browseable directory structure you'd find in a local TM backup disk.

This is repeating itself with the new APFS-based Time Machine. No network file system protocol understands the concept of APFS snapshots, so TM still has to store an APFS volume inside a sparsebundle disk image.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BobHoward posted:

TM never used symlinks, it's hardlinks all the way down. It was built around one of the all-time simultaneously brilliant and awful hacks: directory hard links, a very special HFS+ feature created exclusively for use by Time Machine. (Nothing else shipped by Apple knows how to create or manipulate directory hard links, and it's only possible for TM to work with directory hardlinks on locally-mounted HFS+ volumes.)

And that brings us to sparse bundles. They didn't actually change how TM worked, they were just an additional abstraction layer (put the TM backup volume inside a sparse bundle disk image) to work around the limitations of a different abstraction layer (no network file system protocol on the planet supports directory hard links). By mounting the HFS+ volume inside the disk image locally, TM got access to all the special HFS+ sauce required for it to function.

If you mount a TM sparsebundle yourself, what you'll find inside is exactly the same browseable directory structure you'd find in a local TM backup disk.

This is repeating itself with the new APFS-based Time Machine. No network file system protocol understands the concept of APFS snapshots, so TM still has to store an APFS volume inside a sparsebundle disk image.

:cripes: It's worse than I remembered. Still, the point largely remains. The extra funny bit is that even with Apple hardware, that should presumably have coped with — or just not incurred — the limitations, it was still unreliable. It's almost as if hacks aren't really a good foundation for this kind of thing, no matter how brilliant they seem on the surface.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

:cripes: It's worse than I remembered. Still, the point largely remains. The extra funny bit is that even with Apple hardware, that should presumably have coped with — or just not incurred — the limitations, it was still unreliable. It's almost as if hacks aren't really a good foundation for this kind of thing, no matter how brilliant they seem on the surface.

Yup. I just wanted to explore the can of worms underneath a bit...

In the WWDC session where they talked about APFS-based Time Machine, they mentioned cutting out tens of thousands of lines of corner-case code because everything's so much cleaner and easier with atomic snapshotting as a baseline FS feature. So at least there's hope for a more stable Time Machine as the APFS version of it matures.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any idea what this new icon is?

I don't use macs and my father in law gets jumpy when new icons suddenly start popping up. This has been pretty awkward to google

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't use macs and my father in law gets jumpy when new icons suddenly start popping up. This has been pretty awkward to google

Handover/continuity . Safari is detecting that the same user is logged on multiple devices and it’s suggesting to open the last tab from what it looks to be another macOS device.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

FuzzySlippers posted:

He has Safari open on his phone/another device

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

He can disable it by going to System Preferences / General and unchecking the box marked 'Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.'

He might get mad that he will also no longer be able to answer phone calls on his Mac if you do that, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, Apple is pinching out the Release Candidate for macOS 11.4 for some reason. Maybe they wanna say they're shipping 11.4 out in time for WWDC?

11.48 GB on Intel, whoof. Someone with an M1 can be smug a post a smaller value for the Apple Sillycon version

Edit: it's build 20F71

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh finder was non responsive last week so rebooted, and today worked out why. One of my HDDs in the DAS isn’t mourning anymore. Rebooted both the Mac again and the DAS, power light is on it but is a no show in Disk Utility.

Is there a go to piece of software or technique these days to see if there’s any hope of recovery? Fairly recent purchase, 10TB WD.