Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
How do NVMe's generally work when they're not used as the system drive? Can I get one to put games on and see really fast load times, or is there still going to be a huge bottleneck on account of it not being the system drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kliras posted:

How do NVMe's generally work when they're not used as the system drive? Can I get one to put games on and see really fast load times, or is there still going to be a huge bottleneck on account of it not being the system drive?

You won't see notably faster load times than a SATA SSD since that's not a use case where it really pulls ahead, but it won't be bottlenecked, no.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

There is no bottleneck from not being the main system drive, assuming it's connected to a full speed port. Being the drive with the OS on it doesn't make a drive faster to access.

OTOH right now NVMe drives offer very little advantage in game loading times compared to even a bog-standard sata SSD. NVMe drives are literally able to send data to the CPU faster than the CPU can process it. You will never notice the difference without a stopwatch.

This may change in the future, as devs change things to take advantage of the new consoles having fast storage. So if you're buying a SSD and have space to add a NVMe drive, you may as well get NVMe. But that's not happening instantaneously. Buying a NVMe drive right now specifically to make games faster is not a useful purchase.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I wonder if things like SRIOV will ever make it to consumer space, if there is a use case. Perhaps if you have a central PC that a few people in a house are running VMs remotely but that’s pretty techy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Ah, I see. I didn't know it was already that bottlenecked. We'll have to see if DirectStorage/RTX IO will offer something in the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

I wonder if things like SRIOV will ever make it to consumer space, if there is a use case.

My guess is "not until the next version of Windows, at the earliest."

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Killer_B posted:

I have been looking at getting a 1-2TB nvme drive for a new build, folks seem to recommend the SN550 at the minimum, it seems as all the recent chia hype has made the 2TB models get socked with the scalper/farming tax.

Outside of say, the SN750s, were there any other manufacturers I might look at outside of Samsung?

It would be getting used as a boot drive; the 1TB models rose a bit, but not as ridiculously as the 2TB models.

:smith:

I just ordered one from B&H for $225. Newegg is taking backorders at that price too set to ship the 15th.

The only place I saw a price increase was Amazon which had them only available from 3rd party sellers for $260.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Walmart has the Sandisk USB-C external 500GB SSD on closeout for $22-33 depending on your store. Just picked one up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SanDisk-500GB-Extreme-Portable-External-SSD-USB-C-USB-3-1-SDSSDE60-500G-G25/678518912

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I wonder what's inside those, regular NVMes or mini-PCIe cards?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

M.2 SATA apparently

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9631os/sandisk_extreme_usb_31_ssd_tear_down/

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
It's not showing up as $22-33, more like $90.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So what's the best PCI-E 4.0 drive to get if I'm building an ultimate specced PC and am willing to spend a few hundred for a 2TB drive?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Samsung 980 Pro or WD SN850 if you just want the absolute fastest and can stomach spending around $400 for 2TB

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

At what point should you start getting concerned about an "SSD life" rating in crystaldiskinfo? I've got a 1tb toshiba xg3 nvme that is at 80 percent, and I'm trying to diagnose some weird hitching and delays I'm getting in Windows. Considering just formatting and reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

At what point should you start getting concerned about an "SSD life" rating in crystaldiskinfo? I've got a 1tb toshiba xg3 nvme that is at 80 percent, and I'm trying to diagnose some weird hitching and delays I'm getting in Windows. Considering just formatting and reinstalling to see if that fixes it.

Generally, not at all. The few people who have tested SSD endurance to destruction have found that drives vastly exceed the manufacturer spec for writes. And the crystaldisk health % is generally relative to the media wearout number in SMART which is set by the mnfr based on their spec. So on a drive that's heavily used for writes, you would normally expect it to hit 0% in crystaldisk and keep on trucking for a long time after.

Of more concern than total writes / media wearout is "uncorrectable error count" or similar errors. (Crystaldisk will generally give your drive a health status of "caution", with a yellow box, if you have these errors.)

e:

I'd comfortably buy it if I wanted a 980 Pro, the warranty on the 2TB model is 1200TBW and there's zero chance I'd put anything approaching that on a drive.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 19, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
980 pro it is. That's what I was eyeing but mostly due to brand recognition. Just wanted to know if I was missing something better. Thanks guys.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Second time in this month i got stuck on an Inaccessible Boot Device boot loop with an M2 su800. At first i thought it was that windows update driver bug hitting people at the end of April, but I'm on a b450 board and that was a different chipset. Crystaldiskinfo reported 99% health too, so idek. Guess I'll RMA :/

Is the M2 mx500 any good?

e: i should probably give up on this lol

Ignis fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 20, 2021

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Looking for an additional M.2 1TB to add to my laptop. Mainly for storage but occasionally will be the install drive for larger games. Looking at Adata XPG SX6000 (£93), WD Black SN750 (£110) or Samsung 970 EVO (£145) or really anything from CCL Computers up to £150.

Is the Samsung worth £55 more? Any I should absolutely avoid?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ignis posted:

Is the M2 mx500 any good?

The normal 2.5" MX500 is good. That and the WD Blue (3d) have been the 2 standard picks for someone that needs a sata drive and wants the extra security of a known Brand. I'd assume the m.2 version is exactly the same.

Stupid Decisions posted:

Looking for an additional M.2 1TB to add to my laptop. Mainly for storage but occasionally will be the install drive for larger games. Looking at Adata XPG SX6000 (£93), WD Black SN750 (£110) or Samsung 970 EVO (£145) or really anything from CCL Computers up to £150.

Is the Samsung worth £55 more? Any I should absolutely avoid?

Samsung isn't worth any extra money compared to other high-quality drives like WD.

For a storage and video games drive, the WD SN550 is the cheapest drive they're selling *and* will be identical in end-result performance to a SN750 or 970 Evo. What makes it cheap is that it's dramless, which absolutely does not matter for that purpose. Dramless drives are poor in heavily random tasks & random mixed IO. Your use is sequential reads and sequential writes, rarely at the same time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The NVMe 2.0 spec is out, get ready for...rotational nvme drives

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

The NVMe 2.0 spec is out, get ready for...rotational nvme drives

Yup actually pretty neat getting to leverage pcie fan outs and they will be gen2/3 at x1 from mostly what I’m hearing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

Yup actually pretty neat getting to leverage pcie fan outs and they will be gen2/3 at x1 from mostly what I’m hearing.

Unifying storage tech and getting all the new storage poo poo available for HDDs is great. You can go whole hog with nvmeof with expensive rear end fiber and networking poo poo all hooked up to...a cluster of spinning rust.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Unifying storage tech and getting all the new storage poo poo available for HDDs is great. You can go whole hog with nvmeof with expensive rear end fiber and networking poo poo all hooked up to...a cluster of spinning rust.

Cold storage, baby!

*makes a new storage pyramid powerpoint slide and searches for a cranny to jam another product in*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
can anyone speak to Sabrent? Guy is selling a 4tb nvme supposedly bnib

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alan Smithee posted:

can anyone speak to Sabrent? Guy is selling a 4tb nvme supposedly bnib

They're good as far as quality, probably one of the top of the 2nd tier of OEMs (1st tier being the companies that make their own nand).

For a used drive, sabrent might be one of the companies that I'd be nervous about. To get full warranty coverage you have to register on their website, and that requires the order info etc. Otherwise you get only 1 year. So take that into account when determining how good the discount you're getting vs new is.

And that's before the whole possibility that this guy was mining Chia with it for the last two months and it's already clapped out. IMO this is a bad time to buy 2nd-hand SSDs anywhere that you don't have good dispute resolution / ability to do a chargeback.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldnt buy one of their drives personally. For everything else they make basically generic cheap poo poo stuff, I see no reason their SSDs would be good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some guy went out and bought a p5800x so he could play with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINeI6Xm6t0
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-fast-is-a-p5800x-optane/171363

quote:

It takes six I/O jobs maxing out 5 cores to clear 2 million iops on just one drive. Holy smokes! That’s fast

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

He’s a well known dude if you are in that workstationy tinkerer home server world. ServeTheHome is also a good resource in that market.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cygni posted:

He’s a well known dude if you are in that workstationy tinkerer home server world. ServeTheHome is also a good resource in that market.

I've avoided all youtube hardware personalities since Linus seems annoying as hell and I don't want a bunch of "mouth breather looking like an idiot at a giant superimposed picture of product" thumbnails flooding my recommendations but he's pretty decent.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Level1tech is as close to a tech god as you can really get.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The rising p4800x prices on Ebay made me sad that I didn't just impulse buy one awhile ago that I found for $200

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Found all these drives in a box on the desk of an employee who left:

P4500s, P3700s, P3500s and some 750s.

I think they’re probably problem drives but I sure wish they were labelled as such! Need a coop to check the SMART on em.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Look at all that chia mining capability

(plz junk the p4500s)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Regardless of performance the p4500s are at least one of the few drives that work well for hotplugging in windows due to the intel drivers.. Whitebox drivers don’t support it for poo poo! (Linux is fine for pretty much whatever though)

Granted this is on server 2016 lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That assumes the p4500 won't poop itself after unexpected power loss

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

That assumes the p4500 won't poop itself after unexpected power loss

Yah that’s probably why we have the big stack of them in the box, laff.

3500/3700s and even 750s were all the preferred options but they all got EOL’d a while back. Those were all great drives.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

WhyteRyce posted:

I've avoided all youtube hardware personalities since Linus seems annoying as hell and I don't want a bunch of "mouth breather looking like an idiot at a giant superimposed picture of product" thumbnails flooding my recommendations but he's pretty decent.

The spectre of Linus looms even if you clicked on anything remotely related to PCs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

YouTube is barely usable without the Clickbait removal extension

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clickbait-remover-for-you/omoinegiohhgbikclijaniebjpkeopip?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tfw you needed something so bad and hadn't realized it til now.

Combine that with Replace Youtube Homepage with Subscriptions for the optimal video browsing experience.