Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you dont want actually fresh fish unless you want parasites in your fish

What, you don't like extra protein for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

toplitzin posted:

What, you don't like extra protein for free?

The protein is still free but now you just eat dead parasites instead of live ones

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Brainworms

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MaxPowers posted:

Anyone else feel the vibe of costco has gone down the shitter since being required to wear masks? The costco down the road used to be a good place to hang out, get your tires changed, and have a snack. Now I have to put on a mask to get some strawberry froyo? No thank you. I'll get my 1 dollar totinos from safeway.

Having spent 30 minutes inside a Sam's Club during the pandemic (call it a penance), the vibe of Costco even at it's worst (packed to the gills in March 2020 when everyone was panic buying) I'll gladly take it over Sam's

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Amazing what an extra $15 a year buys you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

you dont want actually fresh fish unless you want parasites in your fish

I don’t think that’s what they were implying

They were comparing a fish that enters your local shop frozen and only ends up thawing once you’ve bought it vs a fish that arrives at the market frozen and is thawed for display/sale, purchased, and then either refrozen or kept thawed.

That second fish is either going to go through extra freeze/thaw cycles, which will break down the connective tissue in the meat and speed up the breakdown process, and potentially spoil the texture; or it’s going to be carrying the bacterial load from the store+your car+the fridge, etc.

Virtually all of the fish sold in the US through retail or the restaurant industry is frozen at least once before it reaches the people who eat it. If it isn’t, then the fish was almost always alive at the store and killed on-site, but that’s not really the norm outside of certain Asian groceries- and I think those might be limited in what species/etc they can kill on-site vs what can’t be brought in without freezing.

The FDA and Dept of Fisheries are actually super good about this. Marine fish-borne parasites are incredibly rare in the US, to the point of almost being medical novelties/paper fodder.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, thats why they do the freeze rethaw rigamarole

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Nut chat: I’m the weirdo who loves cashews. Send me your cashews.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

yeah, thats why they do the freeze rethaw rigamarole

also for shipping, and to keep the fish from losing freshness while the boat’s out at sea for another week

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don’t think that’s what they were implying

They were comparing a fish that enters your local shop frozen and only ends up thawing once you’ve bought it vs a fish that arrives at the market frozen and is thawed for display/sale, purchased, and then either refrozen or kept thawed.

That second fish is either going to go through extra freeze/thaw cycles, which will break down the connective tissue in the meat and speed up the breakdown process, and potentially spoil the texture; or it’s going to be carrying the bacterial load from the store+your car+the fridge, etc.

Virtually all of the fish sold in the US through retail or the restaurant industry is frozen at least once before it reaches the people who eat it. If it isn’t, then the fish was almost always alive at the store and killed on-site, but that’s not really the norm outside of certain Asian groceries- and I think those might be limited in what species/etc they can kill on-site vs what can’t be brought in without freezing.

The FDA and Dept of Fisheries are actually super good about this. Marine fish-borne parasites are incredibly rare in the US, to the point of almost being medical novelties/paper fodder.

Danke

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Whooping Crabs posted:

The protein is still free but now you just eat dead parasites instead of live ones

Exotic Meats.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

priznat posted:

Pretty sure just about everyone loves cashews

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Barry posted:

Pretty sure just about everyone loves cashews

I can’t remember where it was but I saw something online where people were ragging on cashews, so I thought I was special!! :sigh:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

priznat posted:

They are my favorite nut they're divine

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

pistachios are the best, most rarest nut

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Pistachios taste like salty unclean rear end and there are always too many cashews.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Salmon is susceptible to a nastty parasite that is easily eliminated with a flash freeze without hurting the quality. A lot of top quality Omakase/Edomai sushi fish is previously frozen or aged.

Tried the steelhead a few times, personally not a huge fan of it and the farmed salmon is very good for like 1$ more per pound, Salmon should pretty much always be about medium rare.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Farmed/Atlantic salmon is better than wild sockeye salmon, IMO. It is fattier. I don't think I've ever had King salmon though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

silence_kit posted:

Farmed/Atlantic salmon is better than wild sockeye salmon, IMO. It is fattier. I don't think I've ever had King salmon though.

That’s crazy talk, I don’t mind farmed but wild caught has much more flavour and a better colour/firmness to it.

Chinook aka King is the money salmon though.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Hell Yeah posted:

pistachios are the best, most rarest nut

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Fellow macadamians, rise up!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Fellow macadamians, rise up!
That's the good poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Macadamia nuts, what do you think we’re made of money here??

I always eye them and the caramel nut clusters with them at the co but resist because I would eat them too fast and they are too expensive for that!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
hazelnuts for me

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Pine nuts on top of Spaghetti a'la Kirkland Pesto is so good, maybe with some of the larger Costco shrimp sauteed on top or Italian sausage or both.

Pine nuts are ridiculous price wise luckily you only need a little.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Copper River salmon season starting in a week, heck yeah

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

African cashew nuts for the win. Buying real cashew nuts and not pieces makes all the difference.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

silence_kit posted:

:getout:

Barry posted:

Copper River salmon season starting in a week, heck yeah

:getin:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've heard that farmed salmon isn't too bad these days. I lived near Seattle for many years and had salmon as far as the eye could see. I got sockeye salmon because it was the cheapest. It was a lovely deep red/orange and was great for the price. I could never afford King but I'm sure it's great.

drat, I want salmon now. I just had it a few days ago too. I LOVE salmon. Favorite fish... hell... almost my favorite protein.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I actually like all salmon

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

King Salmon or nothing :agesilaus:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I’m glad y’all enjoy salmon but swordfish and tuna is where it is at.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Virigoth posted:

I’m glad y’all enjoy salmon but swordfish and tuna is where it is at.

your average swordfish fillet has like 2-5 parasite bits in it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm sure lots of fish have parasites in it. Good thing we have.... fire.

Tuna is great. For 95% of my life I've had canned tuna and that's it. Now, a good tuna steak, medium rare, omg. Good stuff. Not a lot of places here do that. Like, I can think of one that does it, but regardless they do a good job.

edit: I still love canned tuna and buy the 12 packs often. From Costco

PBUC. As you all may have forgotten, Praise Be Unto Costco

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 11, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the best salmon is raw salmon

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Smoked salmon, and also smoked salmon dip.

Also cured salmon.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Nut heirarchy is macadamia > cashew > almond | pistachio > the rest

cashews are weird as gently caress looking on trees

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Nut heirarchy is macadamia > cashew > almond | pistachio > the rest

cashews are weird as gently caress looking on trees

How much money is big cashew paying to keep everyone from knowing about this?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://cocowest.ca/2021/01/pizza-roncadin-review/

I got the chicken, red onion and pepper version of this pizzas at the local Costco and I would recommend them if you find them. Very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kettle cooked peanuts that are super crunchy with some salt and lime flavour are the best way to have peanuts, I need to see if there are any good packs of this next time I'm at costco.