Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s not very stupid on the part of the developer if they got an enormous bag of cash for doing so, which EGS is certainly capable of doing.

I am not saying that it was stupid for the developers to take the money. I do think it is stupid not to let people know that it is exclusive permanently. There seems to be a large contingent of people who are going to wait for it to come to Steam. If they know it never will, I imagine at least some of them would probably go buy it on EGS. Seems like a way to deprive your games of sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

The IdolNinja news is breaking my heart. He poured everything he had into Volition and I’m glad he at least got his dream career. I’ll have to do another playthrough of SR2 in his honor.

In other news, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Ooblets, Auto Chess, 10 Crowns, and World War Z were named as lifetime EGS exclusives in the Epic v Apple lawsuit today:

Yeah that dude was literally working on the patch from his hospital bed for a while. Crazy dedication to that absurd game. Very sad to hear things have gone downhill again.

On a not so serious note, bummer. I’ve been waiting for Ooblets to come to steam for ages.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone here played Mainframe Defenders? I had it wishlisted and it just went on sale for a few bucks so I snagged it. Only had time to do the Tutorial before I had to log off.

I love me some good Tactics games, but I kinda feel like the low fidelity graphics might make it really hard to play? I couldn't easily tell what was an Enemy and what was an Ally.

The developer added the ability to change your unit's colors. Hit the little color bar in the unit customization scheme. Personally I would have liked the "cockpit" color from the old version to ignore color settings, but hey.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I'll have to replay SR2 one of these days. Really sad at the news.

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone here played Mainframe Defenders? I had it wishlisted and it just went on sale for a few bucks so I snagged it. Only had time to do the Tutorial before I had to log off.

I love me some good Tactics games, but I kinda feel like the low fidelity graphics might make it really hard to play? I couldn't easily tell what was an Enemy and what was an Ally.

I like it! I haven't done a full run, but it is a fun game with good tactical play. At first I also had a hard time identifying units at a glance, but after the first few missions everything makes perfect sense. I did turn down the CRT glow, so I recommend fooling around with the filter settings.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks x2 :toot: Looking forward to playing more a bit later tonight

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am interested to see how long the ooblets steam page actually stays up for now

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Whoever recommended Holdfast, thanks I bought it.
It is an extremely goofy game that strongly reminds me of Battlegrounds, one ofmy favorite half life 1 mods. Sorta relaxing to just run around and bayonet people while being blown up by a cannonball every once in a while.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played Holdfast yesterday as well and my thought are it is hilarious to play with so many people. The mechanics of the game or okay, nothing great, but forming a line with 50 other people and charging at the enemy that can't hit the broad side of a barn is pretty fun. I was playing one game and at the spawn people were literally sitting around in chairs and chatting the whole game, and there are classes where you just walk around playing an instrument or carry a flag. It's goofy fun for sure, I think I played for a couple of hours so far.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, Ooblets came out?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, Ooblets came out?

It must have. I remember that being one of the first "oh wow, hire a PR firm" marketing debacles as they got into it with their fans at the exclusivity announcement, to do all that and never release would be hilariously daft.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
everyone online always acts like they have perfect insight into how some small dev team "should" act without knowing any numbers about how they actually financially are. who knows?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Impermanent posted:

everyone online always acts like they have perfect insight into how some small dev team "should" act without knowing any numbers about how they actually financially are. who knows?
The criticism of the ooblet people wasn't about their taking the money, it was about how they said anyone who was disappointed it would be on Epic was a gamergater who was never actually interested in the game anyway, and then kept digging that hole.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, Ooblets came out?

Kind of? It's still in early access

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The criticism of the ooblet people wasn't about their taking the money, it was about how they said anyone who was disappointed it would be on Epic was a gamergater who was never actually interested in the game anyway, and then kept digging that hole.

My absolute favourite part was that they invited people from the Steam discussions into their Discord to come discuss things and proceeded to completely dismiss out of hand literally everyone who joined because they had only joined in the last day or so and that's why they weren't REAL fans whose opinions mattered. To this day I'm unsure if that was entirely wilful ignorance on their part or a hilariously botched attempt at a "trap sprung" maneuver.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought Ooblets, it was okay, people got way too mad about the whole dev thing, they were not entirely serious and they were caught up in a wave of anti-Epic store stuff at its peak.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

why is it always cool people that this happens to

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pirate Jet posted:

In other news, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Ooblets, Auto Chess, 10 Crowns, and World War Z were named as lifetime EGS exclusives in the Epic v Apple lawsuit today:

Could you link the source for that, please?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ooblets looked like my kryptonite, I am glad it is dead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does buying EA games on Steam still give you an origin key that's not linked to Steam (it used to be this way)? I just prefer using the platform that doesn't require running a second platform in the background.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Does buying EA games on Steam still give you an origin key that's not linked to Steam (it used to be this way)? I just prefer using the platform that doesn't require running a second platform in the background.

It’ll tell you on the store page. Between the Steam features it supports and the languages.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

It’ll tell you on the store page. Between the Steam features it supports and the languages.

No I don't think so. It's says it requires Origin, but I was asking the reverse, whether you can redeem the key on Origin and use it without Steam (again, I could do this with previous EA games, but that was a few years ago).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

No I don't think so. It's says it requires Origin, but I was asking the reverse, whether you can redeem the key on Origin and use it without Steam (again, I could do this with previous EA games, but that was a few years ago).

Oh, in that case I know someone who bought BF4 on Steam. I’ll see if he can answer that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Oh, in that case I know someone who bought BF4 on Steam. I’ll see if he can answer that.

thanks

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Rusty posted:

I bought Ooblets, it was okay, people got way too mad about the whole dev thing, they were not entirely serious and they were caught up in a wave of anti-Epic store stuff at its peak.

I mean, a joke can still come across as immensely rude and dismissive.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

secretly best girl posted:

It must have. I remember that being one of the first "oh wow, hire a PR firm" marketing debacles as they got into it with their fans at the exclusivity announcement, to do all that and never release would be hilariously daft.

https://ooblets.com/2019/07/we-did-the-thing/

Huh wow. It's been on my wishlist for years. I suppose I can remove it.

Guess these game companies can keep trying to go EGS exclusive and then poo poo on people who were interested and see how it goes.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 11, 2021

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And honestly people really don't mind if small devs take the Epic payout they just want devs to be honest about it. Like the Axiom Verge 2 dev straight up said he took the gaunteed money from Epic so he could support his wife and son and honestly more power to him. The worst response was along the lines of " Awwwwww, shucks, okay ".

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Yes, which is why this is newsworthy. Even then, that’s not necessarily true - Maneater, for example, has a Steam page up and its one-year anniversary is in twelve days, but we’ve heard nothing about a Steam release.

They started updating the Steam metadata three days ago.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oubliettes

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
more like pooblets

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the dismal ooblets

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Ooblets looked like my kryptonite, I am glad it is dead.
Same, esp if it had co-op.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
You’ve all sold me on hold fast. Does a goon discord for it already exist ?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
also do goons have an existing regiment for Holdfast?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Darkrenown posted:

Could you link the source for that, please?

Found it.(DX-4361 page 62) Not sure that these are signed deals.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 11, 2021

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After playing Holdfast for a half hour I see why there were so many American adolescents excited to leave their 1860s sleepy cottages and blast their northern/southern brethren.

War is actually pretty cool way to meet people, tell jokes, hear strange music, and occasionally shoot a cannon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

buglord posted:

After playing Holdfast for a half hour I see why there were so many American adolescents excited to leave their 1860s sleepy cottages and blast their northern/southern brethren.

War is actually pretty cool way to meet people, tell jokes, hear strange music, and occasionally shoot a cannon.

I, hm.

Yeah, alright.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
*notices epic money* owoblets

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
As far as shooting in Holdfast, it's somewhat frustrating since there is built in randomness, and I can't quite figure out the bullet drop, here are some tips. Crouch to shoot for more accuracy. Stand at a line and crouch for even more accuracy, especially in a crowd. Take off the bayonette with T to get more accuracy. Stand by the guys playing music for some buffs, I think reload speed and something else. You can see your buffs up in the left top. I feel like killing people is random for me though at this point, but I think I have a latency issue on the active servers.

Here's a last stand in a tower with lots of people and bayonettes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhBeGCAeyYQ

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Goddammit stop making me eye an entirely multiplayer game that I'll play once and then never touch again :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Goddammit stop making me eye an entirely multiplayer game that I'll play once and then never touch again :argh:

Same. Definitely one of those games of which idea I like much more than actually playing it.