Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Folks, I got a problem. My game group, it stinks. I mean the people are nice and we have fun together (some are my IRL friends), but they are all over the place in availability and we struggle to get together regularly these days. The gaming is at an all time low. Expert analysis predicts that at this rate gaming will be TOTALLY EXTINCT by 2022. But it's not their fault, people got kids and jobs and lives and poo poo. So I turn to my FAVORITE not-real people, goons! Specifically the best of all goons: GBS goons. Let's play some games!

Now if I wanted to play Hot Shooter of the month or some poo poo, I could probably go to Games right now and find a discord for Call of Duty or whatever. You could do the same thing if you were inclined. But I want to see if we can get something different going. Some friendly, social gaming for ALL gamers, including casuals, Dad Gamers, and APM-challenged gamers. Strong Gamers may also apply if they have the self-restraint to not tryhard the group or be a snob. The idea behind this is for some low-tension games that goons can play in a casual environment with each other, not against sweaty tryhards online, not centered around any one specific game. Respond with your info, and if there are at least a couple interested folk that line up I'll make a discord or Steam group or whatever seems appropriate. I've prepared a couple games I think might be fun to get us going. I'm only gonna give brief descriptions, so follow the Steam link if you want to know more.

Game 1: Barotrauma
https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

You ever hear stories of the fabled Space Station 13 game? This game is kind of like that, but instead of a space stations it's a submarine in ALIEN WATERS. The developers actually acknowledge SS13 as an inspiration. It even has the clown.

Anyway it's pretty cool. Everyone has a role (Captain, Security, Engineer, Doctor...) and you try to keep the sub and yourselves alive as chaos unfolds. Terrifying sea monsters, mysterious alien ruins, zombie plague, drug overdose, and accidentally plugging a welding fuel tank instead of an oxygen tank into your diving suit's air system all conspire to kill you in this chaotic undersea adventure! At more advanced levels, it comes with a TRAITOR MODE where one or more unknown crew members are secretly trying to sabotage the ship, for that true SS13 feel.

Some fanart:

Good Things:
- Wide acceptable player count (anything from four to like, twelve or more players works).
- High/drunk gaming friendly. Adds to the chaos and comedy. Just don't be plastered... probably.
- Rounds usually take an hour or less and there is NO requirement whatsoever the same people show up each time.
- Unlike SS13, a normal human being can actually figure out how to play it pretty quickly.
- Regular sales at $15.

Game 2: Don't Starve Together
https://store.steampowered.com/app/322330/Dont_Starve_Together/

Don't Starve (Together) is a charming and quirky game about... not starving. Also: not freezing, not going insane, not getting being beaten up by monsters, and not becoming a spooky ghost. Find food, build shelter, battle the elements and hostile creatures, and try to survive as long as you can! Approximately 200 billion people already own on this game or the single-player variant on Steam. But many probably never had the people together for a real coop game that got anywhere. Maybe we can do it!

Good Things:
- Flexible player count.
- A lot people already own it + not expensive (you don't really need any DLC).
- Very chill.
- Controller friendly if you like that!

Bad Thing?
- More long form experience. Takes a while to get anywhere cool. If you can only play infrequently, probably not worth it.

Game 3: Northgard
https://store.steampowered.com/app/466560/Northgard/

Very fun and accessible strategy game. I hesitated to include a strategy title at all, but this really isn't anything like Starcraft or other turbo-nerd poo poo. I've played with this with people who never play strategy games online and they really liked it. But if you do like strategy, it's good! Set in Viking mythology on the mystic and titular island Northgard, pick a clan based on animal themes and compete with other clans to be the best on the island! What is best? Well unlike many strategy games, "winner" doesn't necessarily mean "I killed all my opponents". The Best Clan may be a conqueror, but you can also win by performing great deeds, by amassing great wealth, by discovering great lore (research victory), claiming the World Tree Yggdrasil, or forging the legendary Sword of Odin!

Good Things:
- Comfortably seats four to eight players.
- Good for team games or free for all (I actually think FFA is best).
- Regular sales at $15 and you for real do NOT need the DLC clans. They are not better. And they are mostly harder to play so just get em later if you really like the game.

If you have a game you want to suggest, feel free to do so. Good candidates should have at least some flexibility in player count, be something anyone can learn in a reasonable amount of time, not be centered around PvP against non-group members, and something below the $60 rate. Probably just PC games, or games that are crossplay between PC and console.

INFO REQUESTED: I'm in Pacific time zone (PST) so let's center around that. If you list a non-American timezone please tell me how much plus or minus that is from PST.
Forum's Name:
Weekend Availability: ("most nights after 6:00 PM", "all day Saturday", "generally around", etc...) Friday Night counts as weekend.
Weekday Availability: ("only after 8:00 PM", "don't want to play on weekdays", "some afternoons", etc...)
Game's interested in: ("any", "any coop", etc).
Other: anything else you care to make known.

Also I don't know if I need to say this, but you will need to be willing and able to use voice communication, probably via Discord, for this to work well for most games.

If we have the folks, let's shoot for a first session either Friday or Saturday night this week (the 14th/15th). I'll propose a time based on responses. I myself can do basically any weekend slot. I'll organize the response info into something readable if volume warrants it. If nobody wants to play, then sucks for me and I'll figure something else out!

Come on folks, the planet's dyin, the future is sold out, humanity is losing it's mind... and there isn't anything you or I can do about it. So let's play some video games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vidgam

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Folks, I got a problem. My game group, it stinks. I mean the people are nice and we have fun together (some are my IRL friends), but they are all over the place in availability and we struggle to get together regularly these days. The gaming is at an all time low. Expert analysis predicts that at this rate gaming will be TOTALLY EXTINCT by 2022. But it's not their fault, people got kids and jobs and lives and poo poo. So I turn to my FAVORITE not-real people, goons! Specifically the best of all goons: GBS goons. Let's play some games!

Now if I wanted to play Hot Shooter of the month or some poo poo, I could probably go to Games right now and find a discord for Call of Duty or whatever. You could do the same thing if you were inclined. But I want to see if we can get something different going. Some friendly, social gaming for ALL gamers, including casuals, Dad Gamers, and APM-challenged gamers. Strong Gamers may also apply if they have the self-restraint to not tryhard the group or be a snob. The idea behind this is for some low-tension games that goons can play in a casual environment with each other, not against sweaty tryhards online, not centered around any one specific game. Respond with your info, and if there are at least a couple interested folk that line up I'll make a discord or Steam group or whatever seems appropriate. I've prepared a couple games I think might be fun to get us going. I'm only gonna give brief descriptions, so follow the Steam link if you want to know more.

Game 1: Barotrauma
https://store.steampowered.com/app/602960/Barotrauma/

You ever hear stories of the fabled Space Station 13 game? This game is kind of like that, but instead of a space stations it's a submarine in ALIEN WATERS. The developers actually acknowledge SS13 as an inspiration. It even has the clown.

Anyway it's pretty cool. Everyone has a role (Captain, Security, Engineer, Doctor...) and you try to keep the sub and yourselves alive as chaos unfolds. Terrifying sea monsters, mysterious alien ruins, zombie plague, drug overdose, and accidentally plugging a welding fuel tank instead of an oxygen tank into your diving suit's air system all conspire to kill you in this chaotic undersea adventure! At more advanced levels, it comes with a TRAITOR MODE where one or more unknown crew members are secretly trying to sabotage the ship, for that true SS13 feel.

Some fanart:

Good Things:
- Wide acceptable player count (anything from four to like, twelve or more players works).
- High/drunk gaming friendly. Adds to the chaos and comedy. Just don't be plastered... probably.
- Rounds usually take an hour or less and there is NO requirement whatsoever the same people show up each time.
- Unlike SS13, a normal human being can actually figure out how to play it pretty quickly.
- Regular sales at $15.

Game 2: Don't Starve Together
https://store.steampowered.com/app/322330/Dont_Starve_Together/

Don't Starve (Together) is a charming and quirky game about... not starving. Also: not freezing, not going insane, not getting being beaten up by monsters, and not becoming a spooky ghost. Find food, build shelter, battle the elements and hostile creatures, and try to survive as long as you can! Approximately 200 billion people already own on this game or the single-player variant on Steam. But many probably never had the people together for a real coop game that got anywhere. Maybe we can do it!

Good Things:
- Flexible player count.
- A lot people already own it + not expensive (you don't really need any DLC).
- Very chill.
- Controller friendly if you like that!

Bad Thing?
- More long form experience. Takes a while to get anywhere cool. If you can only play infrequently, probably not worth it.

Game 3: Northgard
https://store.steampowered.com/app/466560/Northgard/

Very fun and accessible strategy game. I hesitated to include a strategy title at all, but this really isn't anything like Starcraft or other turbo-nerd poo poo. I've played with this with people who never play strategy games online and they really liked it. But if you do like strategy, it's good! Set in Viking mythology on the mystic and titular island Northgard, pick a clan based on animal themes and compete with other clans to be the best on the island! What is best? Well unlike many strategy games, "winner" doesn't necessarily mean "I killed all my opponents". The Best Clan may be a conqueror, but you can also win by performing great deeds, by amassing great wealth, by discovering great lore (research victory), claiming the World Tree Yggdrasil, or forging the legendary Sword of Odin!

Good Things:
- Comfortably seats four to eight players.
- Good for team games or free for all (I actually think FFA is best).
- Regular sales at $15 and you for real do NOT need the DLC clans. They are not better. And they are mostly harder to play so just get em later if you really like the game.

If you have a game you want to suggest, feel free to do so. Good candidates should have at least some flexibility in player count, be something anyone can learn in a reasonable amount of time, not be centered around PvP against non-group members, and something below the $60 rate. Probably just PC games, or games that are crossplay between PC and console.

INFO REQUESTED: I'm in Pacific time zone (PST) so let's center around that. If you list a non-American timezone please tell me how much plus or minus that is from PST.
Forum's Name:
Weekend Availability: ("most nights after 6:00 PM", "all day Saturday", "generally around", etc...) Friday Night counts as weekend.
Weekday Availability: ("only after 8:00 PM", "don't want to play on weekdays", "some afternoons", etc...)
Game's interested in: ("any", "any coop", etc).
Other: anything else you care to make known.

Also I don't know if I need to say this, but you will need to be willing and able to use voice communication, probably via Discord, for this to work well for most games.

If we have the folks, let's shoot for a first session either Friday or Saturday night this week (the 14th/15th). I'll propose a time based on responses. I myself can do basically any weekend slot. I'll organize the response info into something readable if volume warrants it. If nobody wants to play, then sucks for me and I'll figure something else out!

Come on folks, the planet's dyin, the future is sold out, humanity is losing it's mind... and there isn't anything you or I can do about it. So let's play some video games!

same

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That Barotrauma looks cool. I loved reading stories about SS13. I only played it as the clown a few times since that game is super hard to learn but I got into some hilarious hijinks.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Can I be Luigi??

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That Barotrauma looks cool. I loved reading stories about SS13. I only played it as the clown a few times since that game is super hard to learn but I got into some hilarious hijinks.

Yeah I tried to play SS13 a long time ago but I really could not figure out how the hell to do anything. I think maybe I got the engine started once? And I slammed a toolbox into a window until it breached and I flew into space. That's about it. The UI is extremely confusing to use and it's just generally very opaque for any normal person to try and figure out. Then you die and can't do anything for 30 minutes until the next round starts. Barotrauma gets you a lot of the key aspects of the experience but in a package a regular person actually understands. I've only gotten to scratch the surface with it and want to play more.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Meme Poker Party posted:

Yeah I tried to play SS13 a long time ago but I really could not figure out how the hell to do anything. I think maybe I got the engine started once? And I slammed a toolbox into a window until it breached and I flew into space. That's about it. The UI is extremely confusing to use and it's just generally very opaque for any normal person to try and figure out. Then you die and can't do anything for 30 minutes until the next round starts. Barotrauma gets you a lot of the key aspects of the experience but in a package a regular person actually understands. I've only gotten to scratch the surface with it and want to play more.

Is there a tutorial?

When I played as the clown I just ran around throwing banana peels in front of people and watching them fall. Once I got a security guard and his security card fell out. He said.... "Oh no..... NOOOOO!" and I stole it and ran into the bridge by the captain and got shot and killed immediately. It was funny.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cum play Holdfast m'lord. Its on sale right now and its extremely casual and goofy pvp with 150 player servers

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is there a tutorial?

There is a tutorial that teaches all the basics. How to move and fight, how to use tools, how to inventory, etc. A lot of the finer points of adventure are left out, but it teaches what you need to know for basic operation of the submarine in like ten minutes.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Cum play Holdfast m'lord. Its on sale right now and its extremely casual and goofy pvp with 150 player servers

I'd be open to that if I had a group to play with!!!

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Meme Poker Party posted:

My only experience with SS13 is I followed all my brother's instructions, and then I got on an escape capsule with one guy and I beat him to death with a blunt instrument just because I could. He was upset.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I prefer Releaseslow

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I still haven't played through the co-op in Portal 2 but I'm saving myself for a cute gamer boyfriend who'll let me suck his dick while he watches anime

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cubone posted:

I still haven't played through the co-op in Portal 2 but I'm saving myself for a cute gamer boyfriend who'll let me suck his dick while he watches anime

PM me

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I like to play Dancing games

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I’m in and lol prepare for full derpies madness in barotrauma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Derpies posted:

I’m in and lol prepare for full derpies madness in barotrauma

What could be more perfect than a game where the alarms go AWOOGA, AWOOGA?