Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The latest chapter of Elusive Samurai reminded me of that one MSPaint of a guy pissing from the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nrook posted:

Pitching is hard, [snip]

Dexo posted:

So a number of reasons.
[snip]

I also thank you for the explanation. I got the gist of it from the explanation in the manga. But this makes it much clearer. This is also a really neat tie in to the previous match strategy where they had the thrower not throw at full power until the end game.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Blue Box is early enough I'm still reading it, though honestly I'm not really sold on it yet. I Tell C I have totally dropped though.

Magu-chan really isn't great at being Shonen, I dunno why it's trying to be one. I hope it's not headed for cancelation and thus trying to wrap up the story, it's perfectly fine just being a warm fuzzy slice of life.

Roboco was great, I love it riffing on jump. I hope to God it gets animated so we get riffs on popular anime.

Definitely enjoying Nine Dragons, though I had to look up what some of the terms meant. Why is it a good thing for batters to have 4 or more pitches per at bat, wouldn't you want less??

Elusive Samurai was good for what is obviously a setup chapter. Some cool fight stuff - I loved the panel of the heads getting cut off, and the villain just bopping the attacks away before catching the sword with his pinky. Big Mashle vibes.
I've dropped Blue Box myself. I love the art, but I don't think it's for me. I'm not really romantic.

Julias posted:

https://twitter.com/MangaPlusENG/status/1391756959293005832?s=19

Sui Ishida, the creator of Tokyo Ghoul, has a new series. Apparently the schedule will be irregular, so don't expect regular updates.

Read it, thought it was okay. I never read Tokyo Ghoul, so this should be interesting.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I also thank you for the explanation. I got the gist of it from the explanation in the manga. But this makes it much clearer. This is also a really neat tie in to the previous match strategy where they had the thrower not throw at full power until the end game.

I've dropped Blue Box myself. I love the art, but I don't think it's for me. I'm not really romantic.

Read it, thought it was okay. I never read Tokyo Ghoul, so this should be interesting.

Tokyo Ghoul is, uh, not very good. I made a post about it earlier in this thread.

The writer seems to have learned some lessons, though. It seems like characters will actually have semi-unique powers in this one instead of everyone fighting basically the same way, for instance.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm liking Blue Box. I hope it gets a decent run

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That all makes sense! I was just thinking about things in terms of "you wanna hit the ball!" and didn't consider all the other factors. Guess this is why I'm not getting scouted by plucky high schoolers trying to build a dream team!

I am enjoying reading about the stuff, so far the series has been quite fun.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Candy Flurry seems like a shonen so far. Too early to judge it.

I dunno. Three chapters in should be enough to provide some kind of unique hook, and I'm not really seeing one right now. It's not a Bone Collector or an i tell c, where it's obviously just flailing until cancellation, but it's not MHA, Chainsaw Man, or Assassination Classroom either, where there's something to draw you forward from chapter 1.

One thing I kind of was thinking this chapter , though?

There seems to be a definite Masao Ōtake influence on the art. The general designs, the reaction shots, the expressions, they all suggest, at minimum, that the artist really likes Hinamatsuri.

I can respect that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I dunno. Three chapters in should be enough to provide some kind of unique hook, and I'm not really seeing one right now. It's not a Bone Collector or an i tell c, where it's obviously just flailing until cancellation, but it's not MHA, Chainsaw Man, or Assassination Classroom either, where there's something to draw you forward from chapter 1.

One thing I kind of was thinking this chapter , though?

There seems to be a definite Masao Ōtake influence on the art. The general designs, the reaction shots, the expressions, they all suggest, at minimum, that the artist really likes Hinamatsuri.

I can respect that.

I guess the hook, beyond the obvious candy thing, is meant to be heroine being falsely accused. In a way this isn't that different from the standard - shonen protagonists are often initially distrusted by authority figures or society in general - but usually it's something like "we can't trust him because the demon inside him will inevitably take over some day!" rather than a specific crime they didn't commit. So that adds the complication of a secret identity of sorts (normally more an American superhero trope than a shonen manga trope) plus a mystery element - she has to find and expose the other lollipop user before she gets sent to jail, I guess. But I agree that it's not really as compelling a hook as the writer seems to think it is.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Also good lord has the "shonen protag with a secret they can't let people know about!" been really common lately - Candy Whatever, MHA, Kaiju No 8, Mashle, to an extent Demon Slayer and Witch Watch. Luckily most of those have taken some lengths to drop the secret (Witch Watch doing so in the best way imo), but it still doesn't change the fact that they had significant portions of their stories based around the trope. It just gets tiring.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Alright, grandpa. Half a dozen titles within the last decade is certainly a trend to be wary of

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Alright, grandpa. Half a dozen titles within the last decade is certainly a trend to be wary of

I mean aside from Demon Slayer all those are all actively running in jump right now. Though it is kind of a pet peeve of mine so I may well be overreacting to it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Witch Watch abandoned that so quick I doubt it should even count. I kind of think the story/setting would be stronger if the mangaka had just went "this is a world where some people are witches/oni /tengu and nobody gives a poo poo" from the get go but whatever who cares.

I think in general its an expansion/variant of "the MC's powers are forbidden /cursed, they are possessed by a demon or they generally have a dark/evil themeing" which is so widespread that its practically ubiquitous. The last shounen I can even remember reading where that wasn't the case was loving Reborn and what does that tell you.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 11, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Witch Watch abandoned that so quick I doubt it should even count. I kind of think the story/setting would be stronger if the mangaka had just went "this is a world where some people are witches/oni /tengu and nobody gives a poo poo" from the get go but whatever who cares.

I think in general its an expansion/variant of "the MC's powers are forbidden /cursed, they are possessed by a demon or they generally have a dark/evil themeing" which is so widespread that its practically ubiquitous. The last shounen I can even remember reading where that wasn't the case was loving Reborn and what does that tell you.

Ah yes, Dr. Stone. Where the protagonist's powers come from the most forbidden of all sources:

Literacy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It doesn't really apply to Demon Slayer either.

It's true it's super common though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know series like MHA and Mashle keep it vaguely around in case they want to mine some drama from it, but neither has had it feel central to the series for a while. granted i don't read Mashle anymore, so who knows what's going on now. Witch Watch obviously used it for gag effect (fine), and Kaiju just dropped the conceit in the last chapter anyway. Demon Slayer spent more of the series with Nezuko revealed than not, as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mashle's current arc started with his not having magic being revealed to the whole school so that's no longer a thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Witch Watch abandoned that so quick I doubt it should even count. I kind of think the story/setting would be stronger if the mangaka had just went "this is a world where some people are witches/oni /tengu and nobody gives a poo poo" from the get go but whatever who cares

Then you couldnt make the joke the manga did where everyones cool with it

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There's nothing particularly "dark" about the main characters' powers in My Hero Academia or World Trigger.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Silver2195 posted:

There's nothing particularly "dark" about the main characters' powers in My Hero Academia or World Trigger.

I think One for All falls under the "secret the protagonist can't let anyone know about" that I was responding to, though yeah it's otherwise kind of a positive ability with no real dark nature.

Unless you count the recent reveal that it'd kill any inheritor that wasn't Quirkless in short order, but I wouldn't. .

I'd argue that the nature of Yuma's Black Trigger (and Black Triggers in general) kind of fall under the umbrella of what I'm talking about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking variants on the theme, I'm quite fond of Chainsaw Man's.

The protagonist gets his powers from a deal with a devil... and that's how pretty much everyone operates. The biggest difference is that the protagonist made a deal based on friendship with one of the nicest, most heroic characters in the whole manga (as shown from chapter 1).

Kind of the opposite of the standard.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kaiju 8 has probably the most traditional take on it out of all examples and even there I kinda like how it was done. The series basically speedran every single trope connected to the whole "hero has a secret forbidde. power/identity that no one can know about" and once that was done, it got immediately resolved by the hero using it to save the whole platoon/division/whatever more or less right in front of them.. I can respect that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Tokyo Ghoul is, uh, not very good. I made a post about it earlier in this thread.

The writer seems to have learned some lessons, though. It seems like characters will actually have semi-unique powers in this one instead of everyone fighting basically the same way, for instance.

Yeah I read that. I seem to remember people mostly being very "bleh" on the ending.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Witch Watch still has the secret of who is after Nico and why. Which is apparently also a curse. I seriously hope it's something incredibly lame.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Magu-chan feels like it might get cancelled soon. :( It's going through the ol' Shonen Jump thing where the author's told by their editor that they're losing readers so they have to retool the story to avoid getting axed.

High School Family's pretty versatile since focusing on different family members lets it switch from slice of life, teen romance and sports manga with each chapter. It's definitely way better than its first chapter suggests.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I really like this ice cream lady in Candy Flurry. It may not have any good hooks plot wise, but the characters so far are entertaining.

Shun's explanation for how he got his powers in Sakamoto Days is kinda goofy, but it's nice the secret underground science place isn't evil.

Magu-chan is real sweet today.

Roboco and Witch Watch got some real good laughs out of me.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Made a quick wallpaper of that adorable Magu chan cover page

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So Nine Dragons' pacing has changed from "Getting 1 new player every 3-5 chapters" to "3 new players in 2 chapters, and also introduce the rival/villain"

You think maybe editorial is putting the pressure on?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Whaaaaaaaaaat are you doing Ayakashi Triangle.

Yeah it's Yabuki so it's to be expected, but it's sliding into creepy territory quite a bit. Plus, it has a weirdly homophobic undertone which I don't like.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else think the art in Sakamoto Days took a real nosedive this week? The scientist guy in particular feels like a rough draft of a character drawing.

I think I'm going to drop reading Blue Box since it doesn't really seem like anything is actually happening in it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

I think I'm going to drop reading Blue Box since it doesn't really seem like anything is actually happening in it.

Yeah I'm a bit meh on it. I liked the aspect this week where it's the protag getting overly worried about super minor details, it feels very real and relatable. However yeah, not a lot actually seems to really happen in each chapter.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mulderman posted:

Made a quick wallpaper of that adorable Magu chan cover page

Also this is super cute, thanks for making this! I really liked the cover page, and the chapter was really cute too. A bit predictable, but still very heart-warming.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've been waiting for Mashle to go battle shonen mode and I feel like this might be it

The power up sequence is cool though, your eyeball does a blade job!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Roboco: I love it when Gorilla and Motsou act like good bad guys. Oh my god, this chapter was so good. Gorilla doing a Yamcha.

Mashle is getting it on. I wonder if Mash was really frozen, feels like the perfect moment for a joke.

Witch Watch: This is exactly what I want Witch Watch to be. And it was actually pretty well thought out, it never actually occurred to me that uncrossing in the bathroom would could people to retroactively notice.

Elusive Samurai: Contrary to what I expected this was funny, nice change of pace.

Sakamoto: Was funny.

Anyone else think the art in Sakamoto Days took a real nosedive this week? The scientist guy in particular feels like a rough draft of a character drawing.

And yes I agree. It's never been a looker, but especially those last pages looked rough.

Candy Flurry: Yeah, Icecream lady is cool. I also love that she doesn't beat around the bush. How many series have we seen where someone just comes along and keeps a close eye because they suspect. She just straight up goes for the kill. Neat. This is picking up a perfect time to speed up.

Undead Unluck: So I recently took the time to read all the chapters I missed since I suddenly got back into this. But reading back just reminded me why I dropped it in the first place. God I hate Andy. But the fights are really good and this was a nice chapter. I like Shen.

9 Dragon balls: As a baseball noob, how many players do they need? I wonder if the extra speed is a warning. I hope not. I mean it's not special or anything, but I just love these kids. It had some nice jokes as well this time around.

Magu chan: Was sweet. Ruru was a sweet kid, but this chapter once again makes me feel like it doesn't know where it wants to go.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

9 Dragon balls: As a baseball noob, how many players do they need? I wonder if the extra speed is a warning. I hope not. I mean it's not special or anything, but I just love these kids. It had some nice jokes as well this time around.

You need 9 players minimum, which is your 8 fielding positions (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF) and your pitcher. Generally you would also have potentially a designated hitter who bats for the pitcher, some other pitchers(starters and relievers), and maybe some bench players but I don't know how deep they are going to fill the roster.

TBH I don't think there is any editorial intent here, if you devote like 2-3 chapters for each position with some faffing about it'd take a long time before they actually get to some real games and this manga is going to shine when they can actually play full games.

They still need a centerfielder and a right fielder to complete their position players, sports mangas also usually have some bench players who get to comment on the games and maybe get a heroic entrance at some point. And some other starting pitchers/relievers unless their main guy pitches every game but that'd be slightly unrealistic and this has hewed pretty close to reality so far despite the cartoonish character designs.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's weird. 9 Dragons is an okay sports manga, but I feel like the dad's volleyball chapters in High School Family somehow have more heart in it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
9 Dragons' characters are pretty flat to me tbh. But it's hard to look at most other running HS Baseball manga with Diamond no Ace still running, which is just really good at getting the shonen sports feel right while also having a lot of in-detail technical elements.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

amigolupus posted:

It's weird. 9 Dragons is an okay sports manga, but I feel like the dad's volleyball chapters in High School Family somehow have more heart in it.

It is very funny how the volleyball stuff has just completely taken over the comic so that the other family members are basically side characters at this point.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

It is very funny how the volleyball stuff has just completely taken over the comic so that the other family members are basically side characters at this point.

What

I gotta catch up on high school family

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

amigolupus posted:

its genuinely a very good arc that is quite heartfelt.

What

I gotta catch up on high school family

Its been... good as of late? The volleyball arc has been handeled well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jerkface posted:

And some other starting pitchers/relievers unless their main guy pitches every game but that'd be slightly unrealistic and this has hewed pretty close to reality so far despite the cartoonish character designs.

I think they said that the generalist guy they recruited would be the backup Pitcher.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so the new series by Yukinobu Tatsu (former assistant to Fujimoto of Fire Punch/Chainsaw Man and Yuji Kaku of Jigokuraku) finally got picked up for english serialization later this year (the initial tweet has the year wrong) and spanish serialization in less than a week(?!)

https://twitter.com/SHIHEILIN/status/1395716708669673472?s=19

you can check out the raw chapters on jump+ if you're curious. i haven't followed it closely past ch1 but the art is great and the setting having both aliens and spirits allows for all kinds of wild stuff. you do get a classic alien abduction scenario with the female lead in ch1 so just a heads up lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This week's Roboco is incredible. "What a callback!"