Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

GoT and Scrubs both have way too high of a rating for the later seasons. :colbert:

Also I don't remember exactly what was so terrible about The Good Wife finale. I don't remember it being bad at all.

e: no wait nvm I remember it was the Kalinda green screen thing lmao. For the uninformed, the rumor was that Julianna Margulies(lead actress and show producer) got really upset / jealous that one of her co-stars, Archie Panjabi, was getting as much / more praise than she was. So after s3 or so the 2 characters were never in a single scene together despite being best friends on the show. In the finale, they finally met at a bar except it was green screen / composited footage of the 2 actors.

It wasn’t just that, it was also the slap.

The Good Wife finale was deeply weird. It was forty minutes of kind of meaningless loving around, and then ten minutes of Alicia Florick pretty much singlehandedly setting fire to every relationship that remained in the show up to that point in the name of... political power? Unclear. It was as if the producers decided at the last minute that actually the show had been a legal version of Breaking Bad and she was the female Walter White*. It made very little sense.

*House of Cards is probably the better analogy but I didn’t watch House of Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Who's talking poo poo about Scrubs Seasons 5 and 6 in this thread? 5 is gold and has some of the best episodes in the entire show and 6 has some misses but also has some top-tier episodes in between them.

7 sucks, but its the Writer's Strike Season so that's hardly shocking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

scrubs was a mess and I don't understand how you can have a show pingpong between oh my god its cancer and haha whoops pratfall banana hammock

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Phenotype posted:

scrubs was a mess and I don't understand how you can have a show pingpong between oh my god its cancer and haha whoops pratfall banana hammock

Absurdist Humor and Drama being combined wasn't exactly totally unprecedented before Scrubs

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Remember how this thread used to be about GoT? Yeah me either. Scrubs was fine for what it was it's biggest sin was making Zach Braf think he had talent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

An insane mind posted:

Remember how this thread used to be about GoT? Yeah me either. Scrubs was fine for what it was it's biggest sin was making Zach Braf think he had talent.

A testament to how discourse around the show is now rightly dead.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Understanding the death of American culture through Game of Thrones and other media franchises

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

My favourite part of season 8 is Tyrion giving Bran the insulting epithet 'the broken' like right to his face in front of a bunch of people. I'm imagining some medieval priest proudly announcing the coronation of 'Childeric the idiot' or 'Aethelred the unready' to a suspicious crowd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Algol Star posted:

My favourite part of season 8 is Tyrion giving Bran the insulting epithet 'the broken' like right to his face in front of a bunch of people. I'm imagining some medieval priest proudly announcing the coronation of 'Childeric the idiot' or 'Aethelred the unready' to a suspicious crowd.

"Ah poo poo that sounded bad. It sounded great in my head and just rolled off the tongue!"

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Zaphod42 posted:

That graph may have been made before the season was over

Here's another

Oh wow, I never finished True Blood and now I'm curious what it did that was so awful in the last season when it was already pretty bad

holy gently caress that Dexter chart is forgiving.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Algol Star posted:

Suddenly tyrion getting written out of that book makes a lot more sense

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Blaise330 posted:

holy gently caress that Dexter chart is forgiving.
No kidding. Like The Dark Knight being considered the best film ever made by the users of IMDB, its ratings are a better indication of the contemporaneous online chatter than anything else. I lost interest in Dexter after season 3 but don't think it turned into a real target of hate until much later.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

No kidding. Like The Dark Knight being considered the best film ever made by the users of IMDB, its ratings are a better indication of the contemporaneous online chatter than anything else. I lost interest in Dexter after season 3 but don't think it turned into a real target of hate until much later.

There seems to be a delayed response with some of these things, because everyone still swore up and down that GoT was the best thing ever right up until season 8 started airing. Season 7 is just as bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Season 7 at least has a few cool moments but yeah the wheels really fall off then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

GoT and Scrubs both have way too high of a rating for the later seasons. :colbert:

Said it before but it's weird to me how highly GoT was rated not only with audiences but with critics until the end. I think season 5 has a better metacritic rating than season 1 which is insane.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Said it before but it's weird to me how highly GoT was rated not only with audiences but with critics until the end. I think season 5 has a better metacritic rating than season 1 which is insane.

Yeah the fact that GoT was still really popular at any point after season four ended is a damning indictment of everyone involved. I know loads of people who swear down that seasons 5 and 6 are where the show gets really good. :barf:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

stev posted:

Yeah the fact that GoT was still really popular at any point after season four ended is a damning indictment of everyone involved. I know loads of people who swear down that seasons 5 and 6 are where the show gets really good. :barf:

There was a 'Fight Companion' episode of the Joe Rogan Experience where they were all gushing about how awesome the last season was. It was one of the last episodes I watched.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

SuperTeeJay posted:

Dexter wasn't the same kind of show, though. The serialized dramas like Game of Thrones are the ones that suffer most from lovely later seasons, because the entire show has been telling a single story that persists from episode to episode. There were season-long arcs in Dexter, but even in that context most episodes were monster-of-the-week type shows where Dexter spends a few scenes following up on the season's arc, but spends most of the episode meeting a new serial killer and dispatching him in an interesting way. You can still have fun watching that kind of thing even in the final seasons, because you haven't spent six seasons wondering about mysteries and prophecies and how these long epic story arcs will conclude. It's not surprising that people still enjoyed the serial killer antics even into season 7, and season 8 was only notably bad because of how silly it became when they decided to wrap up Dexter's story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vichan posted:

There was a 'Fight Companion' episode of the Joe Rogan Experience where they were all gushing about how awesome the last season was. It was one of the last episodes I watched.

As if I needed any more evidence that Joe Rogan is the dumbest human being currently walking this earth…

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, I never finished True Blood and now I'm curious what it did that was so awful in the last season when it was already pretty bad

A major character gets killed offscreen in the first episode, and we spend half the season following someone who refuses to believe it, only to discover that yes, they were actually killed offscreen.

Remember how the show used to be about sex and violence? There's basically none of either.

The final question of just who Sookie ends up with gets answered right at the end some unknown dude, we don't even see his face

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SuperTeeJay posted:

One thing that all these graphs show is how the rating can be artificially inflated for awhile until people really reach a critical consensus that the show has become "bad". Most of those shows that tank, the last few episodes are pretty bad but the audience clearly is willing to forgive some things for the first couple lovely episodes before they realize "oh, this is all we're getting now, its just all bad" and then they start dropping the ratings more dramatically.

Groovelord Neato posted:

See above. You also had a lot of people who weren't into it in S1 but once it became the water cooler show after the red wedding they started watching. There's definitely like a "mob mentality" to audience scores.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The final question of just who Sookie ends up with gets answered right at the end some unknown dude, we don't even see his face

Lmao :allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 10, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly it's wild to me that people bother submitting ratings for individual episodes to begin with.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Season 6 ep 1: no nudity I THOUGHT THIS WAS GAME OF THRONES WHERE ARE MY TITS!

1 Star

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

An insane mind posted:

Season 6 ep 1: no nudity I THOUGHT THIS WAS GAME OF THRONES WHERE ARE MY TITS!

1 Star

--King Robert Baratheon.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Algol Star posted:

I think it's a reference to the conversation they had in S1E4.

edit or that he had with Jon? The cripples bastards and broken things talk

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Algol Star posted:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

*posting in a GoT thread two years after the show ended* it's so funny how nobody talks about this show anymore

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

romanowski posted:

*posting in a GoT thread two years after the show ended* it's so funny how nobody talks about this show anymore

Yea but it's more "hey, here's loads of shows that also sucked"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
And in my case if I wrap myself in enough tinfoil the bad season can't hurt me anymore.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This thread is Reagan's grave, but for TV.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Algol Star posted:

There actually was one Norwegian king called Inge the Hunchback.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it's a reference to the conversation they had in S1E4.

edit or that he had with Jon? The cripples bastards and broken things talk

Season 8 had so many completely botched callback lines stolen from the good seasons

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Alhazred posted:

Was he called that to his face though?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Taear posted:

Yea but it's more "hey, here's loads of shows that also sucked"

And they're literally coming out with a prequel show to try and salvage some good will.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Alhazred posted:

There were also kings called childeric the idiot and aethlred the unready' too, probs not to their face though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The later seasons of Scrubs sucked poo poo and as the show went on the characters became more and more like clown versions of themselves. I especially hated the weird inflection Elliot grew to have. None of the dialogue felt natural anymore. There were a few standout good bits, like Dr Cox accidentally killing three patients, but it was sandwiched between too much goofiness (and yes it was obviously a comedy but they went too far into wacky). Like the crazy stuff that used to be part of JD's fantasies were now happening to the characters in their real lives. Like when Turk pretzels himself to fit into JD's bag to get cookies, or the giant holes filled with water that a car could fit into so in the parking lot the Janitor set up to prank JD.

Also I got extremely tired of JD going AGYOOOOO whenever he fell over

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Macaluso posted:

The later seasons of Scrubs sucked poo poo and as the show went on the characters became more and more like clown versions of themselves. I especially hated the weird inflection Elliot grew to have. None of the dialogue felt natural anymore. There were a few standout good bits, like Dr Cox accidentally killing three patients, but it was sandwiched between too much goofiness (and yes it was obviously a comedy but they went too far into wacky). Like the crazy stuff that used to be part of JD's fantasies were now happening to the characters in their real lives. Like when Turk pretzels himself to fit into JD's bag to get cookies, or the giant holes filled with water that a car could fit into so in the parking lot the Janitor set up to prank JD.

Also I got extremely tired of JD going AGYOOOOO whenever he fell over

This is a real measurable phenomenon on most TV shows that run too long. Way easier to pick out in comedies though, since those character traits are constantly used for cheap laughs.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

bran/the three-eyed raven should have been the lord of light who inadvertently created all of this by trying to stop it
literally the only thing that would have made sense in this dumb book about magic that both is and isnt at the same time

hbo, i can be hired directly from this forum, just emptyquote me

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GolfHole posted:

bran/the three-eyed raven should have been the lord of light who inadvertently created all of this by trying to stop it
literally the only thing that would have made sense in this dumb book about magic that both is and isnt at the same time

hbo, i can be hired directly from this forum, just emptyquote me

This is kind of where I think the Jon/Dany conflict/romance/whatever in the books is going. There are two stories relating to the first Long Night that both relate to a man killing a woman; TWOIAF says that the Bloodstone Emperor betrayed and murdered his elder sister the Amethyst Empress, and that caused the Long Night. The series proper says that Azor Ahai killed his wife Nissa Nissa in order to forge Lightbringer to end the darkness.

This being a series that kind of prominently features families that practice sibling incest, it makes you wonder if these two events are the same, that Nissa Nissa was the Amethyst Empress and sister-wife to Azor Ahai, the Bloodstone Emperor, and if his murder of her was a bit more complicated than "dude kills woman to forge sword and saves world" (since in my opinion sacrificing others is not at all heroic).

And that's kind of where I think the Jon/Dany storyline is leading to, and a part of the bricks in my foundation about Jon and Dany being full brother and sister; circumstances are going to arise where Jon is going to fall in love with and then murder Daenerys, not knowing she's actually his sister, and it's both going to be the event that causes the second Long Night, but also creates the means to banish the darkness (perhaps sort of "it's gotta start before we can end it.")

And that sort of story is how I could see Bran being named King in the books because he "knows all our stories." The issue is that everyone's chasing half-remembered and incomplete prophecies and all it ever does is backfire horribly. Put the guy who knows all of history on the throne so he can stop that goddamn poo poo. If you don't history's going to keep repeating itself.

Or it might be that Bran orchestrates everything to end the cycle of history permanently, make this Long Night the last Long Night, and he uses Jon and Dany and everyone else as pieces on the board. Jon realizes that Bran-raven basically manipulated him into becoming a kinslayer, and he's exiled but vows to wage war to remove Bran from the throne, which would line up with the original outline GRRM produced decades ago where Jon is in exile beyond the Wall and King Bran is his bitter enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Algol Star posted:

There were also kings called childeric the idiot and aethlred the unready' too, probs not to their face though.

That was the original joke. Like literally that. Come on!