Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The swipe at being Avengers seemed a bit low for this show.

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate that you could easily tell which scenes in this episode were filmed when by following the length of Tala Ashe's hair :v:

I noticed that, it was very distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

twistedmentat posted:

I mean, they did make fun of Age of Ultron in one of the earlier crossovers, so it's not off par.

Also, Tony Stark made the same point in Endgame.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Unless it's funny or it suits her needs.

Don't forget her absolute glee at the prospect of taking the brain out for further research!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed that, it was very distracting.

It seemed perfect for me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I don't see that tbh.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I'm bemused at the idea of anything being "too low" for this show, of all of them.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

howe_sam posted:

I love that the Legends didn't get the memo about the DEO being destroyed

I had totally forgotten that the worlds all merged in the last big crossover. Till I remembered, I was wondering how they knew it existed in the first place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I had totally forgotten that the worlds all merged in the last big crossover.
Don't worry, so have the writers (this one counterexample notwithstanding).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I had totally forgotten that the worlds all merged in the last big crossover. Till I remembered, I was wondering how they knew it existed in the first place.

I forgot they merged, but they definitely knew they existed. I mean, Sarah did hook up with one of their agents so they definitely knew they existed.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
It’s good that even though Gary was faking being human, him being the guy that sucks was genuine.

Also how did this show survive NOT having an alien hunting cowgirl?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

It’s good that even though Gary was faking being human, him being the guy that sucks was genuine.

Also how did this show survive NOT having an alien hunting cowgirl?

Just becuase she wears a stetson doesn't make her a coyboy/girl/person

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Xelkelvos posted:

Just becuase she wears a stetson doesn't make her a coyboy/girl/person

I hope you’re wrong.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Save it for the podcast.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Talk about typecasting; this is the second show Matt Ryan's been on that dealt with people consuming alien meat. (The first was Torchwood)

Also, Mick just disappeared from the ep.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

OG Zari still being around makes me happy

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A few thoughts: this was probably the worst episode they've done in years, and it still had a bunch of really awesome gags -- like the waitress doing a foetal kick around her precious burgers; Mick randomly turning up in the cop car; the "really good at sharing" joke, etc. And the way the subplot with the lead villain lady leant into terrible B-Movie crap was loving gorgeous. She gave a really good performance, IMO. This is a good show.

Mostly my problem is the Behrad/Zari stuff, which made everyone involved come across as cranky and unlikable. And they gave Behrad a bunch of really terrible lines -- I'm not convinced they've nailed the character or his dynamic.

I'm getting the sense that this season is going darker than the last few seasons have been. The Princess of Mars stuff with Sarah and Gary is way more serialised and dangerous than this show has been for a long time, and the Ava/Sarah relationship is being played more emotionally than I thought they'd go. And there have been a lot of random comedy side deaths.

Which is the main reason I'm throwing this out there: is Gideon lying about Spooner's brain chip? She's being very unhelpful, and straight up tried to kill Spooner in the premier. Or maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part; I've been really keen for Gideon to do more since they started giving her cameos back in Season 2, and I think the actress would make a really good villain.

I guess they're accommodating for corona by doubling down on the show's standing sets. During the sequence where Zari and Behrad make up, have we ever seen that part of the Waverider before? I also assume we're going to be seeing more of the Totem, plus the multiple alien planet sets this year. And we haven't even reached the alien palace set that's apparently in this season.

WhyteRyce posted:

OG Zari still being around makes me happy

Yeah, this surprised me, but makes sense given the way they set Nate's arc up in the premier. I'm guessing we're seeing a lot more of her this year.

Though new Zari is growing on me a lot.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Gary being fooled by dogs before made me laugh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Gary being fooled by dogs before made me laugh

There's a photo of him posing with the Son of Sam dog in Gary's apartment.

(Which shouldn't be possible, IIRC, but whatever. It made me laugh.)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a photo of him posing with the Son of Sam dog in Gary's apartment.

(Which shouldn't be possible, IIRC, but whatever. It made me laugh.)

Hahaha I missed that 🤣

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

pressedbunny posted:

I'm bemused at the idea of anything being "too low" for this show, of all of them.

Man I got one friend who's still mad at Drawn Together's "King of the Hill boredom helmet" joke after like 15 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I'm just not feeling this season so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Glad I'm not the only one who wasn't feeling Behrad in this ep. everything about him just felt off

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
He feels redundant, and also he just shows up and takes Ray's place as Nate's BFF without it organically happening was always going to be a strike.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't even mean that, his lines just were just really dumb and like, i dunno where the hell he worked at before to like flipping burgers at a fast food joint so much. Was just really not working for me all around

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

site posted:

I don't even mean that, his lines just were just really dumb and like, i dunno where the hell he worked at before to like flipping burgers at a fast food joint so much. Was just really not working for me all around

maybe he was just really high at the time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Also, Mick just disappeared from the ep.

Huh, yeah. I didn't notice it when watching but he totally just vanishes after stealing the car.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Huh, yeah. I didn't notice it when watching but he totally just vanishes after stealing the car.

Second week in a row with a conspicuous deleted scene. (Last week they were going on about summoning Crowley when that never happened.)

I assume there would have been a scene where Mick peaces out of the episode, but whoops, running time too long whatchagonnado.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This show is amazing but it definitely needs to switch out some cast members soon.

Behred adds nothing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Behrad has some good moments but his place on the team still feels unearned. I'm probably still sore about Routh getting fired but he and Zano's bro chemistry was undeniable.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The show feels way too overstuffed with characters in general. None of them are bad on their own but having to keep half the crew occupied with lame shtick because there’s nothing else for them to do just drags the whole episode down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think Behrad's problem is that he's a little one note. Also kind of funny how in this episode he complains that he's always just been Zari's brother when that is how the show treats him as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd rather have flannel Zari hanging around than Behrad honestly. Maybe he can get sucked into the totem and she can be free again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I much preferred old Zari as a character. She had a distinctive niche to contribute to the team. New Zari doesn’t seem to have much to do apart from Constantine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bakeneko posted:

The show feels way too overstuffed with characters in general.
All the Arrowverse shows currently have this problem. Except Superman and Lois, which hasn't been going long enough to have acquired too many extraneous characters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New Zari tethers Constantine to the cast, who'd otherwise just mope and self isolate in his own subplot. She's got decent conman skills, and allows them access to posh places they'd otherwise not get to. Plus she's fun and well acted.

The large casts are a budget thing as much as a corona thing, though you've also got to account for Dominic Purcell taking on a reduced role and therefore not being able to carry a series regular role like he normally would.

Though we'll see at least two of them leave by the end of the season, probably. It's what I really like about the show, the shifting cast. Keeps things fresh and fun.

That said, I honestly think this was just a lovely episode that was trying to do too much. It was telling a typical Legends episode (monster/historical period shenanigans + character drama, complete with b- and c-plots) plus an entire second b-runner with Sarah and Gary.

So stuff like Zari/Behrad/Nate ends up being deeply undercooked, and the Spooner/Ava material is dashed off in a couple of monologues.

I imagine they'll either work out how to tell the show with the Sarah B-plot, or things will return to normal once the cast meets up again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spooner's a real blight on the cast, maybe not Mona levels but she's not great. I'm also already over Gary as a series regular. At least we have Astra, Ava and NuZari keeping poo poo going. Kind of over Nate as well now that I think about it.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Spooner's a real blight on the cast, maybe not Mona levels but she's not great. I'm also already over Gary as a series regular. At least we have Astra, Ava and NuZari keeping poo poo going. Kind of over Nate as well now that I think about it.

That's interesting. If i were pressed to pick any characters to leave, Astra, Ava and NuZari would exactly be my choices. I agree that Behrad is just kinda there without any direction (maybe he should go full Shaggy?), but for me, his charming goofy persona is not played to death at the moment, so he can stay for now. Flanell-Zari obviously reigns supreme though. Nate sneakily grew into the "heart of the team" when i think about it, so he must be protected.
I always liked Gary and still do. But I think his Alien-Arc offers multiple "logical" and hilarious options to write him off, so i wouldn't mind him leaving this season.

No strong opinion on Spooner yet, but i lament the absence of the tinfoil-lined Stetson!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nate isn't offensive, I just miss Ray. I also like NuZari and I really thought they were both going to hang around for a hot minute there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the shows has always had this big a cast so i don't think that's it in particular

where even was astra this ep? mick disappears halfway through but she just wasn't around at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

site posted:

where even was astra this ep? mick disappears halfway through but she just wasn't around at all

They wrote her out for a bit in the previous episode. I suspect she'll be back soon, once the status quo has been properly established and the plot becomes more manageable.

I keep reading this as "Nazi".