Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright, picked up a copy of Returnal. Y’all hyped it up too much.

Any gameplay tips or settings to fuss with? I’m generally really really bad at these sort of games. TIA

Some people will say remap buttons. Up to you, I thought it was fine with defaults but different strokes.

The one thing I absolutely recommend is setting run to always on. You can set it to toggle if you're trying to chill and appreciate the levels but once you're actively trying to win runs you need to have it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PantsBandit posted:

Some people will say remap buttons. Up to you, I thought it was fine with defaults but different strokes.

The one thing I absolutely recommend is setting run to always on. You can set it to toggle if you're trying to chill and appreciate the levels but once you're actively trying to win runs you need to have it on.

Probably just L1 and X or whatever jump is. Usually a fan of the always run thx for the heads up!

boz posted:

Setting jump and dash to L1 and R1 is nice, besides that have fun!

Oh yeah thankfully I’ve done bumper jumper before so that’ll help! It did make some moves on Miles Morales tough, though I played so much Titanfall 2 with it

I got the Audeze Penrose so I’m gonna see how this 3D audio really is (wirelessly, anyway) :getin:

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
It's the drat flying robots, I just can't deal with them, they've gotten me like 5 times today

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Agreed on shoulder buttons for dash and melee, it feels great

Oh hey I just picked up Odin sphere for $17! We were just talking about it a few days ago so this is really exciting

E: oh yeah I got to the flying robots tonight I want to loving die, they melted an incredible run in seconds

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Ps5 has finally turned me into an fps snob. I never used to give a poo poo, but now find it nearly impossible to enjoy 30fps after being spoilt on GoW and miles morales. This is probably a bad thing.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

caldrax posted:

It's the drat flying robots, I just can't deal with them, they've gotten me like 5 times today

I was unable to get past that area entirely cause of this, a crash, and a bug.

Wasted 3h on it, no progress, no story.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Ps5 has finally turned me into an fps snob. I never used to give a poo poo, but now find it nearly impossible to enjoy 30fps after being spoilt on GoW and miles morales. This is probably a bad thing.

I definitely agree and it makes me sad that Sony isn’t taking the MS route and giving all the old games 60-120fps modes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I went to buy DE using two $20 psn cards cos the store says its 40 bucks. lol whats that tax on checkout thing you guys got going on over there you guys are crazy

America not including tax as part of the price is genuinely loving insane. Imagine the listed price of the item not being what you actually pay

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Escobarbarian posted:

America not including tax as part of the price is genuinely loving insane. Imagine the listed price of the item not being what you actually pay

If America charged sales tax a gently caress ton of people would die.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Just of homicides, I mean.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Pumped for Sekiro tonight.

Not sure what to try first. Maybe another few tries on Father Owl #2 or maybe continue a little bit further from where I am.
I would like if I could get a few more beads and memories for the former, just so I was a little buffer. I think I can do it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

VideoGames posted:

Not sure what to try first. Maybe another few tries on Father Owl #2 or maybe continue a little bit further from where I am.
I would like if I could get a few more beads and memories for the former, just so I was a little buffer. I think I can do it.

You've got one more (very cinematic) memory coming up soon, so I'd definitely get that first at least!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It's important to just be patient and don't buy into the scalper market. A lot more PS5's would be available if people would stop giving scalpers a reason to scalp these systems.

The Scalper market where I live is slowly being replaced with Stupid Bundles market. So retailers will have a PS3, but you have to buy like... a gamer chair with it. I think this is in response to them noticing that scalpers were just selling everything from their stores at a crazy markup so why not do the markup yourselves

Kingtheninja posted:

Have they even made it to physical stores in the states? Or is it all through online sites?

I live in the Middle East and it seems to be only physical which is super frustrating. The online sites don't bother even putting stock online when they get it because it sells out on the spot in-store.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

My dual sense right trigger just broke (lost all tension and sticks) after having it for a couple of weeks. This is the third one I’ve had replaced under warranty… I have never had problems with controller buttons on any console ever.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, I actually tried to play Astro's Playroom and the music is drat good. I am your GPU is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akp42KLa7H8

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 11, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

No, developers should stop trying to make 30FPS a target for things. I'm playing a lot of Monster HUnter Rise at the moment and the 30FPS actually feels ok for some reason, but MH World on the base PS4 was an unplayable laggy mess and it kills me that an entire generation was like yeah, 30FPS is ok now

I hope any 30FPS game on the PS5 continues to have an option to turn on "60fps mode" basically.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m not sure what the point of not including it in the price tag is apart from obfuscating it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taxes are different by state, and in some cases locality. America itself doesn't have a sales tax

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

No, developers should stop trying to make 30FPS a target for things. I'm playing a lot of Monster HUnter Rise at the moment and the 30FPS actually feels ok for some reason, but MH World on the base PS4 was an unplayable laggy mess and it kills me that an entire generation was like yeah, 30FPS is ok now

I hope any 30FPS game on the PS5 continues to have an option to turn on "60fps mode" basically.

It's probably a case of it actually holding at 30FPS on the PS5, vs an average of 30FPS with brief dips to 15/20FPS on the PS4.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pech posted:

My dual sense right trigger just broke (lost all tension and sticks) after having it for a couple of weeks. This is the third one I’ve had replaced under warranty… I have never had problems with controller buttons on any console ever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The trick before with using a US PSN account from outside the US was to register with an address from a state that didn’t have sales tax, does that not work anymore?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I made my account have the address of the shake shack in Manhattan. Never would’ve thought that that would matter

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Try changing it? I set mine up with a guide like a decade ago and I’m pretty sure it’s a random office building in New Hampshire.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I live in the toxic pig-poo poo waste dump that is South Carolina but when I buy a game for 59.99 on the store by god it comes to 59.99 on my PayPal

Rock

Flag

And Eagle!!!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Biome 2 is Returnal is one of my favourites - the open-space design is unlike anything else in the game that I've seen so far (up to biome 5), and having the freedom to sort of just walk around rooms, flee enemies easily when I want to, and look over the landscape to see any interesting buildings to check out, it's pretty cool.

Honestly the visual design of this game is absolutely top notch. The third biome's similarities to that polish artist's work was immediate as soon as I walked in.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s a double pack of RE7 and Village on the PSN store for a discount I believe. Village is the sequel to RE7 which started this entire story but you don’t have to play RE7 first. I didn’t beat it (but I will after this, it’s great!) but I didn’t feel like I was missing anything big since they offer you a little video recap of 7 when you start Village.

e: y’all itt need to yell at me until I play through 4

re 7 is free with the ps plus collection to ps5 owners, just played through it to see if i wanted to give 8 a try.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

I don’t remember why but I think Regy wants you to do cleanup and that boss before you finish the area we went through on Sunday. Or maybe we did all the cleanup already? I don’t remember things, generally. He may come in and correct me

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

r u ready to WALK posted:

the enemy that i hated the most in the whole game was the Severed that can lock on to you with a sword swipe from across the entire room. prepare to die a lot until you learn when to dodge that attack, especially when facing two or three at the same time

Are these the guys from Biome 3? Yes, loving hate them. I quickly learned to dodge out of their lock-on "grip" thing but man that was a heavy hit to absorb the first time. And then getting stuck in a lockdown with a couple of them and an armor sphere was gg.

After hearing all the complaints about how unforgiving the game is, I've actually been surprised by all the tools they give you to keep a run going. Astronaut figures, revive parasites, the reconstructor. And then being able to skip right through biomes as you progress. I feel like now that I have the grapple, if I just get another run with an artifact that heals based on damage, I'll be set.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably a case of it actually holding at 30FPS on the PS5, vs an average of 30FPS with brief dips to 15/20FPS on the PS4.
Yeah, this deffo makes a big difference to the PS4 games I've played so far that are still locked at 30. Still feels like a better experience because 30 is the guarantee instead of just a developer's wish.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So I played bit of Astro's playroom, good little game. Was going to get into my first full ps5 game, I was wondering if things like Demon Souls have gone on sale yet? I might just wait and play backward compat games instead.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ulio posted:

So I played bit of Astro's playroom, good little game. Was going to get into my first full ps5 game, I was wondering if things like Demon Souls have gone on sale yet? I might just wait and play backward compat games instead.

I have yet to see a sale on a PS5 game, but it's early yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

caldrax posted:

Ok so the thing with those guys is you can stagger them but if there are 5 of them trying to gently caress you up at the same time you can't stagger them all. And if you're focused on dodging the rockets you won't be able to effectively do damage to them.

So I see it as having two good options. One is you can limit the number of them that have LOS on you at once. You can do that by using terrain to keep only a couple of them in your view at once, once more come around the corner book it to a new area. Don't ever try to fight more than 1 or 2 at a time.

The other option is just RUN constantly. Find where the grapple points are in the arena so that you can get as far away from the clusters of bots as possible, then turn around and do some damage before grappling again. Using this strat, you should never be within attack-range of the flying bots.

Both work pretty effectively I've found. The biggest thing to takeaway is if you're actually trying to dodge rockets constantly you're probably not approaching the fight correctly.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Ulio posted:

Idk if ur in us but gamestop sometimes has deals where used games are 30% cheaper. I picked up demon souls for 45, feel way better about that than shelling out 70

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Stable 30 FPS is perfectly fine, but the developers have to make sure it never dips below, say, 25 FPS, and only rarely. It's a very fine line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Try changing it? I set mine up with a guide like a decade ago and I’m pretty sure it’s a random office building in New Hampshire.

When you had to setup accounts with Japan addresses mine was Sony Japan's headquarters

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Y’all just wasting money your eyes cannot discern anything above 20 FPS

Sell me your PS5 at cost instead

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I definitely agree and it makes me sad that Sony isn’t taking the MS route and giving all the old games 60-120fps modes.

i think that the ps5 doesn't have the ability to alter the way that bc games run. it just flips into compatibility mode and pretends its a ps4 while the xbox treats all these games very differently and has them running in elaborate wrappers that allow for tweaks and changes. not an expert tho

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PantsBandit posted:

Ok so the thing with those guys is you can stagger them but if there are 5 of them trying to gently caress you up at the same time you can't stagger them all. And if you're focused on dodging the rockets you won't be able to effectively do damage to them.

So I see it as having two good options. One is you can limit the number of them that have LOS on you at once. You can do that by using terrain to keep only a couple of them in your view at once, once more come around the corner book it to a new area. Don't ever try to fight more than 1 or 2 at a time.

The other option is just RUN constantly. Find where the grapple points are in the arena so that you can get as far away from the clusters of bots as possible, then turn around and do some damage before grappling again. Using this strat, you should never be within attack-range of the flying bots.

Both work pretty effectively I've found. The biggest thing to takeaway is if you're actually trying to dodge rockets constantly you're probably not approaching the fight correctly.

Lol I can count the amount of times I've fought these guys in anything but an plain room or narrow walkway on one hand, no grappling points to be seen, use the terrain my rear end. The only option I've had to is to sprint to the exit as fast as possible, often taking a hit or two in the process because their shots are ridiculously fast and they're all just firing constantly and there's a good four or five of them.

So far they're the worst enemy in the game I've seen. If I see any number of them in a side path I'm just walking right back out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh I was hoping u was done with all the scary stuff after the castle :(

Ooh gently caress no, the scary just continues to escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Drones are the worst regular enemy in the game and if you can stagger them I sure as poo poo haven’t figured out how