Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Couldn't wait for the G1 so I picked up a C1 77. It is absolutely glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Oh right out was a new panel. Looked it up and this new Evo panel is brighter and I think the C2 is supposed to get it?

Big savings on CX vs C1. Probably not worth it? When do the non black Friday or Super Bowl sales happen?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
On what? The sales on the previous years' models start around March/April, which means a CX on sale is likely the cheapest it will ever be. If you're looking at the C1 then expect to pay near retail for at least 6 months.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Best Buy retail for the 55" C1 shows it as $1800, but I was able to get one from Video Only for $1500 for what it's worth.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

when are the g1's supposed to be available? i would like a 77" but not in a particular rush. also what's the go to full motion wall mount?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What HDMI cables would you buy these days?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

codo27 posted:

What HDMI cables would you buy these days?

I picked up some of these and they seem fine? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Worst thing about MP is shipping and exchange rate with Canada. Lot of what I got now though came from there like 6 years ago

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

when are the g1's supposed to be available? i would like a 77" but not in a particular rush. also what's the go to full motion wall mount?

Pretty much the whole point of G1s are the flesh mount, which is included. Maybe I'm missing it, but I'm not sure why you'd get a full motion wall mount to go with it. I couldn't find any great info on when G1s were going to be available and waited a few weeks after "release," so I picked up a C1 instead. Pretty happy with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty much the whole point of G1s are the flesh mount, which is included.

I didn't know that LG was doing Hellraiser themed TVs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Couldn't wait for the G1 so I picked up a C1 77. It is absolutely glorious.

I finally have a PS5 on the way so I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a 65" C1. Anything I should know going in? Never messed with an OLED or HDR TV before.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I finally have a PS5 on the way so I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a 65" C1. Anything I should know going in? Never messed with an OLED or HDR TV before.

Similar boat here with the CX so just go to rtings they have a guide there for the recommended settings. Mine arrived today and it’s loving amazing, it’s like real life!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I didn't know that LG was doing Hellraiser themed TVs.

:buddy:

Sorry, flesh, flush, whatever.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Soo maybe I spoke too soon cause I'm having an experience that's not so amazing. Has anyone here gotten nausea or headaches from their OLED TV and if so any suggestions to alleviate it? I remember going through this when I first got the iPhone XS but I kind of just forced myself to keep looking at it and it went away. Wondering if I need to do the same here. So far I've lowered the brightness, turned off all of that motion smoothing stuff and I don't think I notice a difference. I don't seem to get sick when playing Switch games though so I wonder what it is. Will plug in my PC for some Resident Evil 8 tomorrow and see if there's something going on with gaming vs TV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Picture settings might vary per input, so if you turned down the brightness and motion smoothing on your main input and then loaded up the Switch there's a chance everything got reset and you'll have to adjust it again for that input.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a stupid question, how bad would it look if a TV is a few inches wider than the stand it's sitting on?

I have a TV stand that's 63" wide. The 65" LG C1 is 57" wide which fits nicely. But the 77" model is 68" wide which would hang off the ends of the stand by about 2.5" on each side. The "foot" of the TV fits fine in either case so it would be stable. I'm just worried about it looking a little over-sized.

Small price to pay for a bigger screen? I don't want to replace the stand or wall-mount the TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All my TVs are larger than their stands. I think it looks fine.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

My one regret with buying an OLED (just got it yesterday and still have to finish setting up) is that if/when I move it’s gonna be stressful as hell. Saving the box just for that reason.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Any new TCL owners in here? Just saw the news about TCL's new TVs. Still probably getting the OLED, but I am curious about that midrange 85 inch TV.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ah! Someone clued me in to the fact that the Best Buy app has an excellent AR mode to help you pick a TV size.

65"

77"

I think the 77" is overwhelming the space. 65" feels like the way to go. I'll go clean my dining table now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

77" looks perfect :D

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

American McGay posted:

Picture settings might vary per input, so if you turned down the brightness and motion smoothing on your main input and then loaded up the Switch there's a chance everything got reset and you'll have to adjust it again for that input.

Thanks yeah I need to go back and save the settings. I’ll see what happens day two hopefully an improvement.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Silly Burrito posted:

Any new TCL owners in here? Just saw the news about TCL's new TVs. Still probably getting the OLED, but I am curious about that midrange 85 inch TV.

Goddamn 85" QLED for $3k and the 85" 4 Series is just $1600.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not that surprised at that price point for the 4 series, in fact one could argue its maybe a tad towards the expensive side. But I guess even a 4 series TCL ain't no RCA or any junk like that. The 75 is only 999 CAD right now. I guess though if I could pay $700 for 10 more inches, I'd do it.

Seen on fb marketplace today someone (clearly something wrong with them) selling what appeared to be maybe a 42" Sanyo, one of those real old crappy ones for $300

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

latinotwink1997 posted:

My one regret with buying an OLED (just got it yesterday and still have to finish setting up) is that if/when I move it’s gonna be stressful as hell. Saving the box just for that reason.

I bought one of those $20 or whatever TV moving boxes from Uhaul, and it went fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

I'm not that surprised at that price point for the 4 series, in fact one could argue its maybe a tad towards the expensive side. But I guess even a 4 series TCL ain't no RCA or any junk like that. The 75 is only 999 CAD right now. I guess though if I could pay $700 for 10 more inches, I'd do it.

Seen on fb marketplace today someone (clearly something wrong with them) selling what appeared to be maybe a 42" Sanyo, one of those real old crappy ones for $300

Yeah it always seemed the jump from 70-ish to 80-ish was always WAY more than the 60-70 jump so I was a bit surprised (happy).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

McCracAttack posted:

Here's a stupid question, how bad would it look if a TV is a few inches wider than the stand it's sitting on?

I have a TV stand that's 63" wide. The 65" LG C1 is 57" wide which fits nicely. But the 77" model is 68" wide which would hang off the ends of the stand by about 2.5" on each side. The "foot" of the TV fits fine in either case so it would be stable. I'm just worried about it looking a little over-sized.

Small price to pay for a bigger screen? I don't want to replace the stand or wall-mount the TV.

If you don't have young kids or an active cat, I wouldn't worry about it as long as either end isn't next to a traffic area.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I bought one of those $20 or whatever TV moving boxes from Uhaul, and it went fine.

Interesting, didn’t even know that existed. I’ll check it out and hopefully save myself some peace of mind, thanks

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I really want the C1 but because I'm afraid my room is too bright I'm considering "settling" for a QLED alternative. How bad is the glare with OLED panels, really?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bright room issues with OLED are a myth.

So you have a SDR TV in there right now and can you see it? An HDR OLED is going to be several times brighter than that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Oled has 4-6 times more nits than plasma, it'll be fine.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

My living room is pretty bright during the day and like, yeah I can see my reflection in dark parts of the scene on my CX if I have the blinds open, but the picture still looks great and is more than bright enough to see.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 14, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reflection handling is a completely different thing from the panel brightness anyways. OLEDs aren't inherently more reflective, so if reflections are an issue on dark areas, it's going to be a problem no matter the TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Bright room issues with OLED are a myth.

So you have a SDR TV in there right now and can you see it? An HDR OLED is going to be several times brighter than that.

Can confirm. The townhome I'm renting was the model, and they went overkill with the lighting on top of some huge windows. My CX is still plenty bright during the day or with all the lights on, and when watching with the lights dimmed in the evening it can easily get uncomfortably bright to dark-adjusted eyes.

That said I am coming from a projector so simply being able to see color detail while the room is bright is something I'm getting used to.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The only time I notice reflection on the CX is when 70 or 80% of the screen is dark/black.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Experiencing something odd with my new LG C1 and I figured I'd start here to make sure it wasn't something stupid. Have been watching the TV with no problems, but while watching Critical Role for the first time on it I noticed that it would go really dim for a few minutes, then brighten back up. Is it possible it has something to do with the overlay they use and the TV detecting some sort of static image and avoiding burn-in? I tried a couple of the different preset picture settings and didn't notice too much of a difference. Any thoughts?? It's my first OLED TV so I'm new to a lot of the fancy things on it.

[edit: It seemed to brighten back up when as soon as I went into the TV menus.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 14, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Experiencing something odd with my new LG C1 and I figured I'd start here to make sure it wasn't something stupid. Have been watching the TV with no problems, but while watching Critical Role for the first time on it I noticed that it would go really dim for a few minutes, then brighten back up. Is it possible it has something to do with the overlay they use and the TV detecting some sort of static image and avoiding burn-in? I tried a couple of the different preset picture settings and didn't notice too much of a difference. Any thoughts?? It's my first OLED TV so I'm new to a lot of the fancy things on it.

[edit: It seemed to brighten back up when as soon as I went into the TV menus.]
Do you have the AI brightness setting on? General - > AI Service -> AI Brightness? I turned all that stuff off.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I did have that turned off. I tried to turn it on to then lower the overall brightness to see if it was an issue like the panel being too bright and throttling. It was really dark in the room if that's at all helpful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's likely ASBL which is the auto brightness limiter on static images. If the scene isn't dynamic enough, the TV might think a static image is being displayed and start dimming.

I eventually turned it off on my C6, but you had to go into the service menu to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's likely ASBL which is the auto brightness limiter on static images. If the scene isn't dynamic enough, the TV might think a static image is being displayed and start dimming.

I eventually turned it off on my C6, but you had to go into the service menu to do it.

Thank you! I had heard about that setting but had trouble finding it. I'll check the service menu. Watching 2-4 hours of content with that likely wouldn't cause irreparable damage, would it?