Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

what the gently caress how many square enix translation goons are there

unless you're the one that did the Dragon Quest 3 GBC port/DQ Monsters 1+2 and you got a name change

Seriously, there couldn't have been that many translators to begin with!
No, that's not me. They have in-house and contracted translators; I fall into the latter camp. But I probably know the one you're thinking of!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

is it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

You’re magenta

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

christmas boots posted:

You’re magenta
no this is magenta

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

Magenta isn't real.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

yeah like I said

pink

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

no this is magenta

Umm, is that not Columbia?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

To elaborate on my previous post:

Magenta Is All In Your Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRuPF6JtWdw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like someone just sent me a Neil DeGrasse Tyson tweet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

To elaborate on my previous Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Memento posted:

Umm, is that not Columbia?
don't be absurd this is Columbia

I mean it doesn't have the prestige of Harvard or Yale but it's still an Ivy :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Not clicking but that better be hot chocolate high velocity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's Magenta

Ah, a deep cut from The Daily WTF.

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Grumio posted:

Moderna -> ModeRNA -> mRNA

(and 'modern')

MRNA is also their stock symbol, as I just noticed last week in a news clip, and that made me wonder if this was the reason too.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015
Hold up, putting three dots at the end of a sentence (an ellipsis) like this...

That's now interpreted as a 'fark you' buy the these crazy kids on the intertubes?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress are you talking about

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

no one under the age of 60 uses ellipsis

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

no one under the age of 60 uses ellipsis

Or do they...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
People who misuse ellipses are the worst...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pork butts are not actually pig butts, that honor goes to hams.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Today, I was told by someone who I have a lot of confidence in that people her daughter's age (16) use an ellipsis as short hand for
gently caress you. Basically a form of hyper-snark.

Yeah, it's a little hard to see how three dots at the end of a sentence evolved into gently caress you but that's the claim.

It came up in the context of the sort'a hilarious misunderstands that turn up in texts between this person's daughter and this person's mom.

Poor old Herb Cain. This would have killed him if weren't for the fact that he's already dead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

don't be absurd this is Columbia

I mean it doesn't have the prestige of Harvard or Yale but it's still an Ivy :colbert:

Not being harvard or yale is a huge point in its favor at this point

HawkHill posted:

Today, I was told by someone who I have a lot of confidence in that people her daughter's age (16) use an ellipsis as short hand for

Yeah, it's a little hard to see how three dots at the end of a sentence evolved into gently caress you but that's the claim.

It came up in the context of the sort'a hilarious misunderstands that turn up in texts between this person's daughter and this person's mom.

Poor old Herb Cain. This would have killed him if weren't for the fact that he's already dead.

They're right.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're right.

My mind boggles at what the intention would be otherwise. Why do all olds do it? Where did they learn it?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

HawkHill posted:

It might have killed him that you called him Cain.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Flyball posted:

It might have killed him that you called him Cain.

I guess I'm Abel to have lost my connect with our brother Caen.

Yeah, that was pretty bad.

edit, yup I had to come back here and correct my misspelling of Abel.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HawkHill posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hawowanlawow posted:

My mind boggles at what the intention would be otherwise. Why do all olds do it? Where did they learn it?

they indicate brain pauses

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's context based.

Used in dialogue, it can mean a trailing voice, or an intentional pause; i.e. if someone interrupts their own sentence.

quote:

Well, when you put it that way...

quote:

I got a bad feeling about this...

In quotations and citations, it means that parts were intentionally omitted, usually for succinctness.

In other literary context and in math texts, it pretty much means, "and so on."

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
nah i'm pretty sure it means gently caress you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Red Metal posted:

nah i'm pretty sure it means gently caress you

!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The idea of trying to indicate omissions and pauses and having some poor child assume I’m just being insanely aggro out of nowhere is very funny, to me.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

I've got a bad feeling about this. gently caress you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
haha lets explain basic concepts to each other because we are extremely damaged an incomplete people...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah that's this thread alright

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

christmas boots posted:

The idea of trying to indicate omissions and pauses and having some poor child assume I’m just being insanely aggro out of nowhere is very funny, to me.

sass ellipses have been around for a long time now...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea tbh I doubt they literally mean "gently caress you" anywhere... more like "obviously, fucko"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can believe that was Quentin Tarantino's intention with "Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leisure Suit Larry Goes Looking for Love gently caress You in Several Wrong Places!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

It's context based.

Used in dialogue, it can mean a trailing voice, or an intentional pause; i.e. if someone interrupts their own sentence.

In quotations and citations, it means that parts were intentionally omitted, usually for succinctness.

In other literary context and in math texts, it pretty much means, "and so on."

nobody ever needs to do this poo poo in texts or emails you dork

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's not really a far leap to go from the exasperated email ellipsis to literal gently caress you. The trailing off use has basically stood in for an exasperated sigh in boomer and gen x (and a lot of millennial tbh) email parlance for as long as I remember. You can read a literal gently caress you with a small mental hop in something like "Bill, I thought we agreed on cleaning leftovers out of the fridge in Fridays..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

zedprime posted:

It's not really a far leap to go from the exasperated email ellipsis to literal gently caress you. The trailing off use has basically stood in for an exasperated sigh in boomer and gen x (and a lot of millennial tbh) email parlance for as long as I remember. You can read a literal gently caress you with a small mental hop in something like "Bill, I thought we agreed on cleaning leftovers out of the fridge in Fridays..."

That makes sense.

Like you say, it can be used for expressing frustration or exasperation. For a reader who may not be familiar with other usages it's not a giant leap from there to being pissed off at Bill.