Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GTO posted:

I've heard you should be careful / not play in a sunny area or outside but want to know the specifics as my best VR playing area is a conservatory with a glass ceiling.

Can someone clarify what the risk of exposing your Quest to the sun is? Is it just that if you leave it out at the wrong angle the light can be focused through the lenses and burn the screen inside the headset? And/or is the sun damaging to the cameras on the outside or something else?

Direct sun exposure to the lens can definitely ruin them, but also the quest will have a hard time tracking in bright, sunny light. Depending on time of day you'll probably be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W90MkmM_o78

The VTOL VR guy has a new game coming that is just Ace Combat Mario Cart. Looks like it could be fun.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 11, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Warbird posted:

The VTOL VR guy has a new gaming coming that is just Ace Combat Mario Cart. Looks like it could be fun.

That is so close to the Slipstream 5000 remake I desperately need

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

The VTOL VR guy has a new gaming coming that is just Ace Combat Mario Cart. Looks like it could be fun.

I too played Aerogauge on the N64 :v:.

Seriously though, that looks really neat.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GTO posted:

I've heard you should be careful / not play in a sunny area or outside but want to know the specifics as my best VR playing area is a conservatory with a glass ceiling.

Can someone clarify what the risk of exposing your Quest to the sun is? Is it just that if you leave it out at the wrong angle the light can be focused through the lenses and burn the screen inside the headset? And/or is the sun damaging to the cameras on the outside or something else?

The risk is if you let the back of the headset, where the eye lenses are, in direction of the sun rays. They are magnifying lenses, like a magnifying glass, so they will focus the light rays into a ant-burning point... or a lcd screen-burning point.

Also, even if you avoid that, if it's very sunny the tracking may have problems with the controllers, as it uses IR lights, and the sun is very very bright in IR terms, overpowering the lil' lights of the controllers.

edit: of course I have been sniped.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Warbird posted:

Cool. The graphics looks surprisingly simple for a pc game. Quest port coming later?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
ViveCon keynote's starting right now.

So far it's mostly about them working in enterprise spaces, and the all-in-one headset is indeed a business device for training and design.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwB5cLaFbM

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
https://www.inputmag.com/tech/htc-vive-focus-3-and-pro-2-make-vr-look-even-more-real-with-5k-resolution

Here are the 2 headsets.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Focus 3 seems like a Quest 2 with 120º fov, and removable batteries put on the back side. Oh, made of magnesium, I guess they had to justify the price :P
Controllers charge via usbC but are notably less efficient than Quest2's.

Price

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Suddenly the Index looks thrifty :stare:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's some real 90's Bluescreen-background energy with this presentation.

Facebook's gotta be real pissed though, because the Focus 3's a pretty legit piece of tech that's got a decent chance of taking the business market they wanted they way Facebook ate up the consumer market.

Turin Turambar posted:

The Focus 3 seems like a Quest 2 with 120º fov, and removable batteries put on the back side. Oh, made of magnesium, I guess they had to justify the price :P

Price

Obvious lols aside at "NOT TOYS!", The Pro 2's actually priced pretty well considering both the Index HMD and original Vive Pro are both $800USD. I really can't fault this one, they did well with it :shrug:.

edit: Wait, the index HMD is $449USD, my bad. :lol:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 11, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comparison with the leaked price, from 4 or 5 pages ago:

quote:

Alzashop's leaked pages listed the Vive Focus 3 Business Edition for €1,474 ($1,771), and the Pro 2 for €842 ($1,012). The site did not detail any hardware specs or images for either device.

Even adding the VAT, it's at least cheaper than the leaked price!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Wait, the index HMD is $449USD, my bad. :lol:

Yeah but you're going to get the whole Index kit for $1000.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Or the G2 kit for less.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Vive pro 2 + Index controllers + 2 base stations = $1329 USD

Honestly not that bad for over twice the pixel count per eye of the $1,000 USD full package index setup. Assuming there isn't some major flaw or that no one else comes out with a better headset in the meantime I'll probably be buying one of these in a few months.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

Price

I know magnesium is light, but is it lighter than plastic? Something I'm wearing on my head is a place i absolutely do NOT want a "premium feel" ie weighty.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's some real 90's Bluescreen-background energy with this presentation.

Facebook's gotta be real pissed though, because the Focus 3's a pretty legit piece of tech that's got a decent chance of taking the business market they wanted they way Facebook ate up the consumer market.

I wonder if this isn't exactly part of why the oculus team and then zuck himself have recently been coming out talking about doing a quest pro with higher end features and price tag?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KodiakRS posted:

Honestly not that bad for over twice the pixel count per eye of the $1,000 USD full package index setup. Assuming there isn't some major flaw or that no one else comes out with a better headset in the meantime I'll probably be buying one of these in a few months.

It's still stupidly-priced compared to an Index, but for global availability and being the same price as the original Vive Pro, in a vacuum it's actually pretty solid. I'm honestly kicking myself a bit for pulling the trigger on a Vive Pro instead of this as they're the same price (though I'm still quite happy with what I have). At the very least I'm hoping to see if the strap can be mounted to an original Vive Pro, as it looks like they've stolen the cushion from the back of the Deluxe Audio Strap.

The only real criticism I can level against it is it's clearly "just" an evolution rather than a revolution. The Focus 3's the real center-stage darling here, the Vive Pro 2 is just a Pro with a new screen and a Deluxe Audio Strap. It's not bad, but there's clearly not a whole lot of relative effort put into it. That it exists is still an excellent thing though, given the generaly decrease in IPD range in other newer headsets.

Turin Turambar posted:

Or the G2 kit for less.

The G2's the "wrong" kind of comparison here. You're looking at a device that's realistically a Lighthouse upgrade rather than selling to the entire VR hardware market.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Where is my touch-like controller for the lighthouse system

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KodiakRS posted:

Yep, The couple people ive seen complaining about price haven't just added it all up.

Yeah its a bit more than the index, but not a heap, and its a better headset. If the thing is as good in person as it is on paper, i think we have a hit.

Plus, existing wireless adapter works.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Someone compete with the quest gdi

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turin Turambar posted:

Cool. The graphics looks surprisingly simple for a pc game. Quest port coming later?

That's probably safe to assume. Market share is too large it pass up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Warbird posted:

The VTOL VR guy has a new game coming that is just Ace Combat Mario Cart. Looks like it could be fun.

Looks cool but unless there's some magic going on under the hood I think this would make me insanely sick very quickly :(

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It is going to be hard to compete with facebook levels of subsidizing their own hardware. The focus 3 looks nice but not 1400 nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Someone compete with the quest gdi

HTC just did exactly that. Somewhat. They've pushed out a standalone device right into the market Oculus really wants to take over, and given their existing relationships in the field probably just swept the entire marketplace up with a superior device to the Quest 2 (assuming the tracking's not bunk like the Cosmos of course, but I doubt that's the case here).

Long-term there's the potential of a consumer offshoot, and hopefully now that they've iterated the form-factor and hardware they can tone it down a notch to a consumer-friendly version and price point.

Twibbit posted:

It is going to be hard to compete with facebook levels of subsidizing their own hardware. The focus 3 looks nice but not 1400 nice.

They don't have to subsidize it though; it's a remote-presence and training device for companies that could buy a dozen without blinking.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are Facebook that fussed about enterprise? They have an enterprise version of the Quest 2 for the people that want it, but the rounded white plastic of the Quest is very clearly consumer focused, and consumers are where you harvest the most user data.

Businesses want something properly robust, casual users want to spend as little money as possible for a good enough experience. I'm not sure they're after the same audience.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Twibbit posted:

Yeah but not impossible and I still think that Facebook has no actual idea what they should be doing with the Quest or why it's successful. It doesn't seem to me they made it with a clear understanding of how good it would be or how much people would want it, and it was more or less just the result of Carmack deciding he wanted to do it and slowly managed to drag the company along with him. I don't think they're going to quickly be able to capitalize on it in terms of software and stuff (like Facebook Horizons is just completely soulless, and that seems to be their big first party social push), so I think there's absolutely room for a company to come in with technically inferior hardware but if they have a clear vision for VR, how it should be built, and why people would want to use it, they could totally go toe to toe.

I think Facebook is just too big to really understand a new medium. An ad guy is in charge of Oculus, they're hamstringing themselves from the start

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HTC just did exactly that. Somewhat. They've pushed out a standalone device right into the market Oculus really wants to take over, and given their existing relationships in the field probably just swept the entire marketplace up with a superior device to the Quest 2 (assuming the tracking's not bunk like the Cosmos of course, but I doubt that's the case here).

Long-term there's the potential of a consumer offshoot, and hopefully now that they've iterated the form-factor and hardware they can tone it down a notch to a consumer-friendly version and price point.

They don't have to subsidize it though; it's a remote-presence and training device for companies that could buy a dozen without blinking.

The focus doesn't compete with the quest in the way that matters, mainstream adoption. HTC is fighting for a niche

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Quest 2 has already a business edition for companies, though?
edit:

UploadVR has a nice comparison

The point I really see as a pro-business feature is the rechargeable, swappable battery. That's really good point for business use.

edit: pixel comparison:
pre:
Headset	       Total Resolution	    Per-Lens Resolution
Vive Focus 3         4896×2448	    2448×2448        11.985.408 pixels
Oculus Quest 2	     3664×1920     1832×1920          7.034.880 pixels
HP Reverb G2	     4320×2160     2160×2160         9.331.200 pixels
Valve Index	      2880×1600	    1440×1600         4.608.000 pixels

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Holy poo poo who created that website?? I thought those "hold on an image until you scroll down far enough and flip to the next" setup pages were the worst, but this page layout is loving satan.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Tom Guycot posted:

I know magnesium is light, but is it lighter than plastic? Something I'm wearing on my head is a place i absolutely do NOT want a "premium feel" ie weighty.

Magnesium is shockingly light. I have a magnesium hard top for my car and it weighs hardly anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Tom Guycot posted:

Holy poo poo who created that website?? I thought those "hold on an image until you scroll down far enough and flip to the next" setup pages were the worst, but this page layout is loving satan.

Yeah, it's very very bad, but they had the info before the presentation did, lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tom Guycot posted:

Magnesium means "magnesium alloy", which means steel with some varying amount of magnesium in it. The strength-to-weight ratio is probably higher than ordinary molded plastics (ABS) or ordinary steel, and probably lower than things like fiberglass-reinforced nylon, or carbon fiber reinforced epoxy.

On top of that it's going to be some mix of plastic with the magnesium only being a frame; I doubt it is a unibody. Mostly marketing spin, seems like to me.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SetSliRol posted:

RE: VR fuckups I will always remember playing H3VR and trying to place my video game guns onto the real life table that I knew was in front of me only to watch them fall to the ground.
I will also remember using my phone in real life and dropping it, expecting it to return to the inventory slots on my waist only for it to also fall to the ground.

In HL: Alyx, I opened a car door to search for ammo and attempted to hold it ajar with my arm.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Thinking about streaming some of my Alyx playthrough for some buddies to watch. Not gonna fix a cam on myself, are there any special things I would need to do or take into account streaming vr to twitch?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Stan Taylor posted:

Thinking about streaming some of my Alyx playthrough for some buddies to watch. Not gonna fix a cam on myself, are there any special things I would need to do or take into account streaming vr to twitch?

If you have Streamlabs OBS, it's super simple. It has built-in settings to capture VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stan Taylor posted:

Alyx is easier than most because it sends a feed to your monitor by default that even helpfully shows your health and a few other bits for spectators.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm having a weird issue with only Beat Saber. Whenever I'm playing pretty much any song recently (in the last two updates), I'll get random audio stuttering, kind of like a CD/album skipping. Some songs can go the whole time without any stuttering and some stutter every 5-6 seconds. The blocks and such don't stutter at all and I can manage to hit them fine, but the sound stuttering is incredibly annoying. I'm using the Steam version with a Quest 2, and I've tried both the SteamVR and Oculus runtime startup command options but I'm getting the same issue. Also, I've tried less mods and it doesn't seem to change anything. I tried a tool that changed how the garbage collection is done by the game but that didn't seem to do anything and is maybe obsolete with the newer updates anyway. Anyone else dealt with something like this?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Lemming posted:

I think Facebook is just too big to really understand a new medium. An ad guy is in charge of Oculus, they're hamstringing themselves from the start

I mean, VR fans told them it was a bad idea to focus on the Quest over the Rift successor, to lock the Quest store down, to release the Quest 2 so soon after and focus on it exclusively, to cut corners for a cheaper price, to require Facebook logins, etc etc etc... and they seem to be doing just fine. I hate to give Facebook any credit because Zucc is a big evil rear end in a top hat, but most of their choices that they were told would be bad ideas have either wound up in their favor or (in the case of Facebook logins) not made enough of a dent to slow the momentum.

Their only real stumble has been their failure to make a solid social application / environment yet, which is embarrassing for them. They've been almost Google-like in how many different attempts they've made and abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

Alyx is easier than most because it sends a feed to your monitor by default that even helpfully shows your health and a few other bits for spectators.

This.

Just use the default window and in game options, grab OBS (i prefer normal obs for a zillion reasons as a "professional streamer", so eh on streamlabs obs for what your doing for sure if its just homie stuff) and game capture it then fire it off to any streaming service. Or use discord if its just for the homies and they want to like watch live.

VOD wise, youtube lets you shove the highest bitrate, recommend there if you're not trying to be streamer guy and just capture a vod easy.