Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

quite enjoyed RUN on ausnetflix with Kiera Allen and Sarah Paulson. lolled hard at the reveal that her mum was trying to feed her dog medicine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Karloff posted:

Orca: The Killer Whale is such a great film. I rewatched it today and I think it's unfairly dismissed as just a "Jaws ripoff". Yeah, it's part of that cycle of natural horror that happened in the wake of Jaws, but it's doing something completely different. There is a fairly seamless blend between actual Orca footage and animatronics/miniatures, the performances are all excellent, the score by Morricone is incredible, the photography is beautiful, and it has a real romantic tragedy vibe. I kind of love it.

I watched it a few years ago and really enjoyed it as a fun trip, it might be due a rewatch. The last scene still sticks with me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Karloff posted:

Orca: The Killer Whale is such a great film. I rewatched it today and I think it's unfairly dismissed as just a "Jaws ripoff". Yeah, it's part of that cycle of natural horror that happened in the wake of Jaws, but it's doing something completely different. There is a fairly seamless blend between actual Orca footage and animatronics/miniatures, the performances are all excellent, the score by Morricone is incredible, the photography is beautiful, and it has a real romantic tragedy vibe. I kind of love it.

I’ve been curious about that movie for a long time but for some reason I thought it was considered bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Twin Cinema posted:

Also, this film just throws Aunt Martha at you, and she exists in a completely different reality than the one of the film, and it just adds to the weird tone throughout.

Yeah! Is the actress doing a bit or is she just the original Tommy Wiseau? That performance is just so loving bizarre and out there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Was just addressed as "The Blood Man" over the phone (was buying some mail-order eyeblood from a theatrical supply store).

I need to put that on a business card or something

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watched Honeydew last night and I'm pretty sure it's a bad, baffling movie but goddamn if it doesn't push some buttons in me. It's hard to recommend because it's over-stylized and feels short on subtext for the amount of bizarre stuff it throws your way but it did scare me, so that's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WP_F-9sV0

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What other horror movies have the vibe of Slumber Party Massacre II? I adore that tone and vibe. Shame it was a weak slasher, but it was just fun, fun, fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Decapitation, might be horror adjacent. Looks absolutely gorgeous though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6ksY8xWCY

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know why everyone is so excited about this movie, it's just the Muppets in Camelot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah, and Muppets in Camelot slaps.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't know why everyone is so excited about this movie, it's just the Muppets in Camelot.

I love the Muppets

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

I love the Muppets

If there's one property that should get a proper horror movie, but never will, it's The Muppets

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So do I, but the way people are talking about this movie it's like they never saw Kermit in chainmail before.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ben Wheatley is doing The Meg 2 next, for some reason. A Muppet movie can't be out of the question.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't seen the Meg but isn't it like a weird remake of Jaws III?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know the story but somehow The Howling brand ended up in the hands of some rando dude named Clive Turner and he just made a string of really terrible DTV sequels that were barely even werewolf movies but he increasingly seemed to have more control and then he made the one you saw which like uses footage from all the others and just stars Clive in some weird rear end super vanity piece that just showed up at a bar and started shooting with randos he was hanging out with or something.
It reminded me of a certain type of MST3K movie, like Pod People or The Final Sacrifice or Abraxas, where a bunch of dads in some nowhere town just film themselves bumbling around for 90 minutes while absolutely nothing happens. But none of those other movies are some producer's weird vanity project, they don't have a half-dozen musical interludes, and they usually aren't dedicated to the memory of the most famous country-western musician in whatever nowhere town they're filmed in.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 11, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The Meg is worth a watch its a perfectly good B Movie.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is it "Ay Two Four" or "Ay Twenty Four"?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dragonshirt posted:

Is it "Ay Two Four" or "Ay Twenty Four"?

It’s pronounced “one day”

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't seen the Meg but isn't it like a weird remake of Jaws III?

Yeah that's not far off. It's not a bad movie at all, but I really wonder what Wheatley brings to that project or drew him to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah that's not far off. It's not a bad movie at all, but I really wonder what Wheatley brings to that project or drew him to it.

He's probably making more money than he's made on all of his other projects combined.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

He's probably making more money than he's made on all of his other projects combined.

Yeah true, that is probably how he financed In The Earth.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I read the first couple of Meg novels. They weren't great but were fun enough. The film could have used a higher rating though, the bit where it gets to the beach could have been a lot more rad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Killer shark/sea creature movies need to be rated R. That's why Pirahna 3D/DD > Jaws.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey, Jaws would be R if it was rated in 1990.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not gonna respond to that, you're obviously just baiting us old folks with that one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the future is now old man

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently the future is Jerry O'Connell getting his dick bitten off. Cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Yes?

God that’s such a great movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not gonna respond to that, you're obviously just baiting us old folks with that one.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

More dicks should be bitten off. Where's that sub-genre of movies.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

dorium posted:

More dicks should be bitten off. Where's that sub-genre of movies.

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=penis-bitten-off

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonna need that Letterboxd 'Best Castration' list, horrorpals

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah! Is the actress doing a bit or is she just the original Tommy Wiseau? That performance is just so loving bizarre and out there.

I think that was just her, I’m sure I saw that in a documentary.
The actress who played Angela was on cameo I got her to do a message for a few friends, she really nailed it I highly recommend her if your after something special for a fellow horror fiend

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The story from the cast is that Aunt Martha's actor, with no prompting from anybody, showed up on set dressed like that and did the scenes that way and everybody just went with it. I don't think she was really even given much "direction", and even the red string tied around her finger was her idea.

And no, she's not Tommy Wiseau, whatever she was doing still qualifies as good acting. Aunt Martha absolutely kills it... it just leaves you with the question of exactly what the gently caress she was killing or why.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Reccomend me some action horror like Underworld , Van Helsing, Buff the Vampire Slay ( move) , anyway I want action horror , maybe the Resident Evil series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Descent
Aliens
Planet Terror
Blade
From Dusk Til Dawn
They Live
Demon Knight

Pandorum?
Overlord?
28 Days Later?
Drive Angry?
Legion?
Carpenter's Vampires?
Ghosts of Mars?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
There's a lot of Japanese actiony horror but it usually borders on gore comedy. Versus, Wild Zero, Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, X-Cross etc.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Reccomend me some action horror like Underworld , Van Helsing, Buff the Vampire Slay ( move) , anyway I want action horror , maybe the Resident Evil series.

Blade 1/2 might be too obvious, though if you haven't checked out the live action TV series it might work for you. Brotherhood of the Wolf is rad. Dog Soldiers.

Thinks I can't vouch for but some people like: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, Dracula Untold, Black Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, Attack the Block. That's great.