Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

that's what the Blacklist is for kill me

Blacklist only has 2 good actors. PS has like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l61xTU5TU74
:five:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the first episode of Perfect Strangers and Family Matters. In Perfect Strangers, I laughed at the "increasingly frustrated at getting packaging open" joke and was thinking "Use scissors!" It has another payoff later when Balki gets it open instantly, which I didn't laugh at, but I appreciated it. It would have been better if, at some point, Larry dropped the snark and told Balki straight-up "Balki, all the sheep herding jobs in America are out in the country, if there are any left, and I live in the city." Anywhere but a sitcom, he'd have also said something like "You don't have to pretend, and it's okay to ask for help" the third time Balki said "Well, of course not; don't be ridiculous!" and pretended like he knew how to do something. Looking at the episode 2 synopsis

quote:

Larry gets tipped off that "Dolly Parton" (Ava Cadell) is in town committing adultery, so he decides to follow her until he can get a picture to sell to newspapers. Meanwhile, Balki will do favors for anyone who asks, so Larry tries to teach him to say "no" sometimes.

This is atypical for the series, but I don't know why you'd want to establish one of your two main characters as a scumbag like that. Maybe they acknowledge it or the paparazzi were less reviled back then

quote:

A rent strike Balki and Larry organize to force Twinkacetti to make needed repairs turns into a battle of wills when Twinkie shuts off the utilities.
heck yeah, I'll skip straight to that one

The Family Matters episode had the sincerity, but its plot where the dad's controlling mother moved in felt too rote. I liked that when the dad has the sit-down with his mom to talk about it, it's during sunset on the front porch. It's a visual way of saying that some moments last longer in our memories than others. The second episode synopsis, "Hariette loses her job to automation, forcing the family inso austerity measures while Carl stews over the family debts." is pretty uncommon except for Roseanne, but I think I'll skip ahead to Urkel's first appearance and watch some Urkel YouTube clips later.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 11, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some of those shows hit because of working class people issues. They were extremely relatable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, wasn't Harriette's job elevator operator? The family had to know that job was on its way out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also you've got to feel bad for the actress who played Harriette seeing as she was the one who was supposed to be getting a spin-off only to get shoved to the background pretty quickly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was disappointed when Uhtred, son of Uhtred's, son wasn't also named Uhtred.

And god drat how is Brida still alive.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Galenanorth, I hope you stick with watching Family Matters, just to see how completely bugfuck insane it gets by the end. I mean, this is an actual episode synopsis from one of the later seasons:

Urkel gives Carl the opportunity to sail a 1700s vessel through Urkel's time travel watch. Unfortunately, the vessel they boarded was owned by pirates. Carl was promoted to captain due to the previous captain's lack of hygiene. But due to the nerd's clumsiness, Urkel accidentally drops his time travel watch overboard. Fortunately, Myra (along with Maxine and Laura) comes to the rescue with a copy of Urkel's time travel watch. But the crew turns on Urkel and Carl after Carl's rules for the pirates. They all engage in a sword duel and are prompted to walk the plank but escape through the watch at the right time and return home where they are late for dinner.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol why does family guy hate cats so much.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
John Mulaney's next comedy special is gonna be weird.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So nobody else has to google to see if there’s more context than the rehab: he’s getting divorced. Her statement makes it sound like it’s entirely his decision.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

muscles like this! posted:

Also you've got to feel bad for the actress who played Harriette seeing as she was the one who was supposed to be getting a spin-off only to get shoved to the background pretty quickly.

A spin-off from family matters or was there another sitcom the character was from?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Perfect Strangers. Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Michael Che still has the thinnest skin in the business. Clocked that a largely positive review wasn't positive enough and went on one of his traditional bits.

https://twitter.com/CraigSJ/status/1391966439100370946?s=19

At least he's not defending Colin Jost from those mean critics this time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I think the person who wrote the headline might be blind.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1391861573904474113

https://twitter.com/eyetosky/status/1391939211108945924

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

Michael Che still has the thinnest skin in the business. Clocked that a largely positive review wasn't positive enough and went on one of his traditional bits.

https://twitter.com/CraigSJ/status/1391966439100370946?s=19

At least he's not defending Colin Jost from those mean critics this time.

I quite like his show, but the biggest laugh I had from the first two episodes is when he says he’s not really a social media guy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

LionArcher posted:

Prodigal son has been canceled at Fox. The quality per episode was drastically varied, but for a trashy show about serial killers and profilers it was definitely fun. Kind of sad about this one. It was the perfect show to catch up on a Saturday after skipping it for a few months if you were bored and cleaning the house.

This show was kind of terrible but in a way that had me tuning in every week. Sad to see it go.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DelRey/status/1392110291857645578

Man, writing an iconic TV show sounds so easy when you describe it like that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ha I just came to post that, but I liked this detail too.

https://twitter.com/pkafka/status/1392111119511216132?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He truly is an entertainment executive.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It just sounds like the kind of thing Bezos likes.

Also, I'm fascinated how The Marvellous Mrs Maisel fails about half of those, as do quite a lot of their comedies.

Also notable: there's no "has an ending" LOL.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The guy saved The Expanse, so I give him a pass for all the other garbage (mostly) they have made. Wait he didn’t renew The Patriot for season 3…. pass revoked

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can order almost any conceivable product to my door with "free" shipping.

Yeah yeah, small business, I support them as much as I can but I like buying cat food from my couch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've finally cut myself off of the Amazon Prime temptation. Being able to order anything from my couch to my door is convenient, but I think it makes me a worse person and it certainly is providing negative value to the world. I'll still use Amazon here and there for stuff that I can't buy locally and can't find in other online stores, though. But I feel like that should be its only use.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 11, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I secrety want to be a super villain so I have no issues using Prime.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

About the same level villain as some dude who throws his cigarette butts out of his car window. You go champ.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Super villains don't litter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

The guy saved The Expanse, so I give him a pass for all the other garbage (mostly) they have made. Wait he didn’t renew The Patriot for season 3…. pass revoked

What’s The Patriot

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nate fisher posted:

On the other hand, upload got a second season I think, and then was that a charming show that everybody seem to have forgotten about after it was over.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

What’s The Patriot

You're gonna get so many serious replies to this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a lot of good programming on Prime.

I mean, mostly poo poo but there's a few things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I worked it out the other month, but over the period it's been operational, Prime has cancelled more shows without conclusion than the Syfy Channel. That's hilarious.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Wait he didn’t renew The Patriot for season 3…. pass revoked

Am I the only one who lost interest after the season 2 premier? The writing felt totally off compared to the first season, like they changed showrunners or something. Does it get better?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 is on par with 1. I can’t remember the premiere specifically but it definitely wasn’t one of my favourite episodes of the season (episodes 2 and 6 are extremely loving good)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

What’s The Patriot

Crap I always get confused which one has ‘the’ in the title, movie or show.

Edit: Speaking of Patriot I just started season 2 For All Mankind, and I am not 100% if Michael Dorman really gained all that weight or not. Cause if he did Jesus.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 11, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's one of those sad comedies about a guy who is simultaneously a depressed folk singer and government assassin. It is.....I'll say extraordinarily self-indulgent.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mulva posted:

Perfect Strangers. Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers.

Wow, I never knew this somehow despite watching both of them as they aired, for some reason Family Matters is much much later in my head.

Also it was a spinoff of Die Hard. I know that's wrong, but it feels right.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I've been watching this season of Bar Rescue a/k/a "Jon Taffer has a van." The premise is he's staying in Las Vegas to help rescue his industry in his hometown. If you think it's going to be like his hurricane episodes where he rebuilds a legit destroyed bar, well...

• The season premiere has a bar where the dude was making so much money in The Before Times, he didn't notice/care that his staff was ripping him off.
  • The second episode at least has some :smith: because the owner got throat cancer surgery in summer 2020, but you can clearly see there's been no renovations for years. The staff miraculously wakes back up once the have the right tools.
  • The next episode is a re-rescue, where they blame the pandemic, but the bar looks twice as old as when the last rescue happened.

I'll still hate watch it out of intertia. Robert Irvine also ended up in Las Vegas for Restaurant Impossible, and he seemed at least a bit more feasible in what he did.

Edit: I forgot about the van! To limit Jon's time in the bar to screaming at people, he sits in a customized van where he can watch all the cameras at once for recon and stress test.

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 11, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There's a lot of good programming on Prime.

I mean, mostly poo poo but there's a few things.

I’ve been meaning to watch Too Old To Die Young but 10 2 hour episodes is a hell of a time commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/kerryjeanlister/status/1392112736000163853?s=19

I think Glover tweeted somewhat hazily and it didn't all come together but the central idea is there. Anyone taking what he says in totality as it still being about 'cancel culture' is just being obtuse.