Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm not, but it's a planet wide system of terraforming equipment too advanced for your civilization to understand.
The event text that you quoted even says "if we can power it" so uhh why I cant I turn the power off? We're all talking about how the event really lacks... flavor? Sense? Like... why don't we have the option to study it first instead of "derp turn it on hurrrrrr" or "dismantle it"? It doesnt make any sense. Which is why I simply dismantle it so I dont have to deal with it being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just want to give a big shout out to the Virgin Fanatic Authoritarian regime next to mine who has so far conquered three pre-FTL civilizations, then had them revolt and immediately call me, the Chad Fanatic Egalitarian, to join up. Half my civilizations pops have a freed slave happiness bonus :smugbert:

Nice thrall world. For a clown to live on. After I liberate it. Dipshit

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Who says they can stop it once it's restarted? There's nothing about it having an easy off switch in the text.

if i were writing it I'd just go:

dismantle the equipment: no possibility of permanent damage to the planet

turn the equipment back on:
possibility A: starts changing it to a different planet type. if you don't like the planet type it's changing it to, you have the option of trying to stop the machine, at which point you get the current random events about extreme weather or some other permanent "partially terraformed" negative modifier. or you can just leave it and let it do its thing.

possibility B: hellworld eco-collapse, timed project to evacuate the colonists before the planet melts.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Danaru posted:

Just want to give a big shout out to the Virgin Fanatic Authoritarian regime next to mine who has so far conquered three pre-FTL civilizations, then had them revolt and immediately call me, the Chad Fanatic Egalitarian, to join up. Half my civilizations pops have a freed slave happiness bonus :smugbert:

Nice thrall world. For a clown to live on. After I liberate it. Dipshit

I love having like 3+ Purifiers in the galaxy, when I'm a Ringworld start, since that just means it'll be raining immigrants.

Gotta love when things just work out you, don'tcha?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How are y'all still arguing about that one event holy poo poo

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
What I'm getting from all this is that losing a colony due to an event is bad, but large-scale territory upheaval due to an event is good, and the event chain with some of the most dramatic effects in the game does a whole lot of nothing. Taking notes (I'm not (I'm fully kidding (love you all))).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

if i were writing it I'd just go:

dismantle the equipment: no possibility of permanent damage to the planet

turn the equipment back on:
possibility A: starts changing it to a different planet type. if you don't like the planet type it's changing it to, you have the option of trying to stop the machine, at which point you get the current random events about extreme weather or some other permanent "partially terraformed" negative modifier. or you can just leave it and let it do its thing.

possibility B: hellworld eco-collapse, timed project to evacuate the colonists before the planet melts.

That’s a lot of information for a bit of technology you don’t understand in any way due to its extremely advanced nature per the text.

I, personally, don’t like that. It’s more board gamey where it’s important for everyone to have all the knowledge. Stellaris is most fun, to me, when I play it KoDP style and just do what my species would do and deal with the fallout or benefit of those actions.

It reads, to me, like you don’t like the idea that there might be consequences beyond your control. That’s crazy to me. Also I hope Splicer and that other guy read your post (and other similar posts) so they can finally understand who I’m posting at. It’s ok if things go bad. It’s a game. Recovering from a bad decision or an event beyond your control is part of the game, Stellaris is actually very forgiving.

I’m not trying to shame you for being different even if I was rhetorically playful about the level of loss - I just truly don’t understand needing full information before making a decision in a video game about exploring and colonizing space.

LordMune posted:

What I'm getting from all this is that losing a colony due to an event is bad, but large-scale territory upheaval due to an event is good, and the event chain with some of the most dramatic effects in the game does a whole lot of nothing. Taking notes (I'm not (I'm fully kidding (love you all))).

This basically.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LordMune posted:

What I'm getting from all this is that the event chain with some of the most dramatic effects in the game does a whole lot of nothing. Taking notes (I'm not (I'm fully kidding (love you all))).

Yes like double the impact of that event and have more of that scale. The trek mod has multiple run defining mutually exclusive events that fire at the start. It makes the game more interesting.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This discussion suddenly reminded me that L-Dragons are neutral and won't attack you. So why the hell do all other space dragons, wraiths, etc. immediately try to slaughter everyone they meet? Especially for sun-eating wraiths that's actually very weird, now that I think about it.

Imho, it would be more appropriate if leaving wraiths alone slowly degrades the suns they're eating from, with a growing chance of a nova suddenly sterilizing a system if you leave them alone for too long. Maybe drop an event after 20-30 years, if a player has been ignoring the buggers, "huh looks like this wraith really likes the sun in this particular system, weird". Then, 20-30 years later "poo poo, the sun is showing signs of dying, oh gently caress" and if the player still doesn't get the hint, 20-30 years after that the targeted sun explodes and you get a tiny white dwarf/pulsar/black hole (depending on star class), and a whole bunch of charcoaled planets.

60-90 years should be enough warning time, I think

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LordMune posted:

Add more bad outcomes to events tia more XCOM less civ: baby edition

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Add more bad outcomes to events tia more XCOM less civ: baby edition

:hmmyes:

Recovering from mad space antics is way more fun than steadily steamrolling the AI with your perfectly calculated choices that always give you the best result.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Make there a repeatable megastructure tech that reduces the chances of stuff going horribly wrong, and then add in the chance of accidently causing a supernova when building the stupid overpowered Dyson sphere. Or a catastrophic failure of the interstellar assembly that immediately drops your reputation with everyone by like 1000 points. Hilarious.

Edit: like each section you build there is a 20% chance of failure or some balanced number

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 11, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Make there a repeatable megastructure tech that reduces the chances of stuff going horribly wrong, and then add in the chance of accidently causing a supernova when building the stupid overpowered Dyson sphere. Or a catastrophic failure of the interstellar assembly that immediately drops your reputation with everyone by like 1000 points. Hilarious.

Edit: like each section you build there is a 20% chance of failure or some balanced number

The interstellar middle-finger is a megastructure I can get behind. Few aliens will understand the gesture, but when they remember how much I've conquered they'll figure it out for themselves.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

This poo poo sounds terrible. The problem with megastructures is that they're far too late in the game and largely don't have enough impact to be worth foolish with. I don't see how making them unreliable too would make them more appealing.

Captain Monkey posted:

:hmmyes:

Recovering from mad space antics is way more fun than steadily steamrolling the AI with your perfectly calculated choices that always give you the best result.

If the game is super monkeycheese random, than figuring out how to play better is even more a matter of reading the wiki than actually playing the game. Trial and error ceases to be a strategy when your results are more based on random chance than your decisions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Yami Fenrir posted:

I love having like 3+ Purifiers in the galaxy, when I'm a Ringworld start, since that just means it'll be raining immigrants.

Gotta love when things just work out you, don'tcha?

It's fantastic, two of the planets have pops with tomb world habitability :toot: between them and my Mechanist start, I'm about to be swimming in minerals

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

This poo poo sounds terrible. The problem with megastructures is that they're far too late in the game and largely don't have enough impact to be worth foolish with. I don't see how making them unreliable too would make them more appealing.

I don’t think that was a serious post. If I’m wrong then yes that’s dumb.

Cease to Hope posted:

If the game is super monkeycheese random, than figuring out how to play better is even more a matter of reading the wiki than actually playing the game. Trial and error ceases to be a strategy when your results are more based on random chance than your decisions.

Nice job tilting at windmills fella.

Events don’t need to be monkeycheese, it’s just ok if an event doesn’t go exactly positively 100% of the time. If events had more (reasonable from reading the text) branching paths with positive and negative outcomes it’d be just as reasonable. You could still hop on the wiki like you do now and try to suss out only the events that will go well for you. But wiki scanning is the Stellaris equivalent of keeping your finger in a CYOA book when making a choice to try and avoid any negative consequences.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

:ironicat:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

It's almost like I said that on purpose for humor related reasons because I've been answering direct questions and been accused of that while this dude made up an idea and got mad at it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

The only megastructures I even bother with anymore are Mega Shipyards, Strategic Coordination Centers, and Sentry Arrays.

Imo a lot of problems with most megastructures could be solved by making them more accessible early on with a reduced tech cost, alloy cost, and build time. Instead of divvying out their potential equally across 4 stages make the first stage provide only 10% of its potential and allow subsequent stages to unlock greater portions, but with steeper build costs.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Please read about fail forward, and stop designing structurally bad events. The outcomes being positive or negative is whatever if you understand how fail forward works, but the design of “push button, hidden rng happens, terminal (end of event) outcome” is garbage intern level design and deserves to not show up in the work of anyone reading this thread ever again.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Anias posted:

Please read about fail forward, and stop designing structurally bad events. The outcomes being positive or negative is whatever if you understand how fail forward works, but the design of “push button, hidden rng happens, terminal (end of event) outcome” is garbage intern level design and deserves to not show up in the work of anyone reading this thread ever again.

Why don't you contribute and explain to us how you see it working so we can judge it instead of assigning us reading projects about corporate buzzwords?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I don’t think that was a serious post. If I’m wrong then yes that’s dumb.

It's not your argument, but it's a direct consequence of your argument. The more chaotic and less deterministic a system is, the harder it is to determine the meaning of your choices, in direct proportion. It can be mitigated by (eg roguelike-style) design where you iterate very quickly, or otherwise getting many attempts at the same event. It can also be mitigated by laying bare the inner workings of the system, but that comes with aesthetic costs.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
This thread loving sucks

also Gospel of the Masses is still a lot of fun (and probably the easiest way to be rich?) but I wish I could use espionage actions to make my Good Friends embrace my space prosperity gospel. Just generally an espionage action for promoting your ethics in other empires would be cool, actually.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

It's not your argument, but it's a direct consequence of your argument. The more chaotic and less deterministic a system is, the harder it is to determine the meaning of your choices, in direct proportion. It can be mitigated by (eg roguelike-style) design where you iterate very quickly, or otherwise getting many attempts at the same event. It can also be mitigated by laying bare the inner workings of the system, but that comes with aesthetic costs.

Not at all. If you're thinking like your species would think, you can make choices - some good, some bad. If you just got hit with a random thing because you hit the terraform button you'll probably be more conservative about the next big red button with a skull on it. It iterates from there to create a fun, cohesive story. Instead of you keeping your thumb on page 47 to ensure you don't have to pay for choosing to pull the lever and flipping to page 312.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Stellaris has never done a very good job of inspiring me to "think how my species would think," so I don't do that. It's a video game, not a window into an alternate universe, so I approach it on those terms.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Stellaris has never done a very good job of inspiring me to "think how my species would think," so I don't do that. It's a video game, not a window into an alternate universe, so I approach it on those terms.

I do too, which is why I'm not bothered in the slightest when there are setbacks. I think we're just fundamentally different people who aren't going to agree, and that's ok.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

I do too, which is why I'm not bothered in the slightest when there are setbacks. I think we're just fundamentally different people who aren't going to agree, and that's ok.

It wasn't even a day ago you were calling people overreacting whiners who need to eat poison, so spare me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Once you have one they should show up in your species list as normal, and then you click on them to uplift them.
:cripes: :cripes: :cripes: I'm so dumb sometimes.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

This thread loving sucks

also Gospel of the Masses is still a lot of fun (and probably the easiest way to be rich?) but I wish I could use espionage actions to make my Good Friends embrace my space prosperity gospel. Just generally an espionage action for promoting your ethics in other empires would be cool, actually.

I'm trying to imagine AAAA Real Muenster's meltdown when he finds out that every AI empire has constantly been boosting random ethics in his empire and now only like two of his guys follow xenophobe ethics and laughing hysterically

I think that idea rules, but I also think having missions that can gently caress your poo poo up/gently caress other people's poo poo up sounds fun, so who knows

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I'm trying to imagine AAAA Real Muenster's meltdown when he finds out that every AI empire has constantly been boosting random ethics in his empire and now only like two of his guys follow xenophobe ethics and laughing hysterically

I think that idea rules, but I also think having missions that can gently caress your poo poo up/gently caress other people's poo poo up sounds fun, so who knows
There is a vein on my forehead that is pulsating at the thought, yes.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

This thread loving sucks

I wonder how hard it would be to mod, gonna take a dive into it, might be able to add something. But I hope they add more to it, it's fun to use but some options like that could be a great addition.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Boosting civics in other civs might be interesting as part of a fundamental rework of how civics and factions work, but it wouldn't be very interesting right now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

It wasn't even a day ago you were calling people overreacting whiners who need to eat poison, so spare me.

This literally never happened lmao.

edit: oh my god, I just realized I said 'you're the reason we have to label silica packets' - I think I'm figuring out why you're having trouble with the events.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

The only megastructures I even bother with anymore are Mega Shipyards, Strategic Coordination Centers, and Sentry Arrays.

Imo a lot of problems with most megastructures could be solved by making them more accessible early on with a reduced tech cost, alloy cost, and build time. Instead of divvying out their potential equally across 4 stages make the first stage provide only 10% of its potential and allow subsequent stages to unlock greater portions, but with steeper build costs.

Dyson Swarms, Starlifters (Star Mining), Banks Orbitals should be mid game budget options for empires trying to get out a resource crunch. Maybe for balance purposes they should have a significant downside that would make you want to reach for the real deal galactic wonders. Like the Dyson Swarm might lower your naval capacity and the starlifters could cause problems with the host star or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

And Tyler Too! posted:

I’m going to assume you just forgot to write “GATEWAYS GATEWAYS AND MORE GATEWAYS and then, much much later, Mega Shipyards, Strategic Coordination Centers, and Sentry Arrays.”

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Captain Monkey posted:

It's almost like I said that on purpose for humor related reasons because I've been answering direct questions and been accused of that while this dude made up an idea and got mad at it.

The reason no one knows when you're joking is because you're not funny

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I am also somewhat annoyed by the fact that megastructures come so late in the game. Overall I would like to see them come earlier and weaker.. Have their upgrades be across several technologies. Instead of the current solution where you wait till the endgame and then do 4 consecutive level upgrades of a galactic wonder from that one research, totaling 40 years and no real use beyond your vanity.

Ringworld - maybe have it built up gradually instead of the current solution? Eg. by joining together existing habitats? Once ppl have 3 or 4 or 5 habs in a system, have a special project linking them all together to create a ring world. All pops get moved from habs to the ring, some districts and buildings get moved over etc. Sure it would be a bit of a hassle to balance out but seems much more natural and you would not have to populate the ringworld from scratch.

Sentry array - Tie it in with the observation station modules... or whatever they are called. Once you have Tech X and 3 observation modules across your stations, you can create some sort of central intelligence command station or something that expands the range of all observation posts by 1-2 jumps. At Tech level Y and 7 observation posts you can upgrade that to extra range of 3-5 jumps. At tech level Z and 12 observaton posts you get global visibility.. Or something like that - still gradual and starting from mid game at least.

Dyson sphere - Never made much sense to me that harvesting energy from stars is so weak. The solar panels or whatever the station module is atm already produces somewhat decent energy for early game. Make add-on expanions to this module exponentially more effective. Like 1st module gives 10nrg, 2-nd one 20, 3rd 40 etc that you can only build after certain Techs are researched. Again - it needs some balancing but it brings also more to the resource gameplay past early game when your mines are all already up and running.

Matter Deconstructor - basically same model as Dyson sphere station but maybe you want to limit that to nebulas or black hole systems

Overall - make everything gradually available and much earlier.
But.. it will never happen as that will not be as eye catchy as galactic wonders and they have an expansion exactly for those features :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SirTagz posted:

I am also somewhat annoyed by the fact that megastructures come so late in the game. Overall I would like to see them come earlier and weaker.. Have their upgrades be across several technologies. Instead of the current solution where you wait till the endgame and then do 4 consecutive level upgrades of a galactic wonder from that one research, totaling 40 years and no real use beyond your vanity.

Ringworld - maybe have it built up gradually instead of the current solution? Eg. by joining together existing habitats? Once ppl have 3 or 4 or 5 habs in a system, have a special project linking them all together to create a ring world. All pops get moved from habs to the ring, some districts and buildings get moved over etc. Sure it would be a bit of a hassle to balance out but seems much more natural and you would not have to populate the ringworld from scratch.

Sentry array - Tie it in with the observation station modules... or whatever they are called. Once you have Tech X and 3 observation modules across your stations, you can create some sort of central intelligence command station or something that expands the range of all observation posts by 1-2 jumps. At Tech level Y and 7 observation posts you can upgrade that to extra range of 3-5 jumps. At tech level Z and 12 observaton posts you get global visibility.. Or something like that - still gradual and starting from mid game at least.

Dyson sphere - Never made much sense to me that harvesting energy from stars is so weak. The solar panels or whatever the station module is atm already produces somewhat decent energy for early game. Make add-on expanions to this module exponentially more effective. Like 1st module gives 10nrg, 2-nd one 20, 3rd 40 etc that you can only build after certain Techs are researched. Again - it needs some balancing but it brings also more to the resource gameplay past early game when your mines are all already up and running.

Matter Deconstructor - basically same model as Dyson sphere station but maybe you want to limit that to nebulas or black hole systems

Overall - make everything gradually available and much earlier

These are really neat ideas. I'd love to be able to build habs that eventually connect into a ringworld. And I also think the solar panel energy boost is far too small. Let me make a Dyson Swarm on my way to the Dyson Sphere!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

I’m going to assume you just forgot to write “GATEWAYS GATEWAYS AND MORE GATEWAYS and then, much much later, Mega Shipyards, Strategic Coordination Centers, and Sentry Arrays.”

Gateways are such a no-brainer I didn't feel the need to include them but yeah, gateways all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The sentry array is the first wonder I build now if possible. Gotta have the intel