Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kild posted:

I think they're saying speedscans are ephebophilia

hmmm no this post isn't quite right either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Aurora posted:

...what does this have to do with speedscans

There isn't a direct connection, nobody's been called a pedo in this conversation, but it's a similar "no, you, the person who finds my obnoxious behaviour obnoxious, are the real villain here, and I'm going to be really aggressively contrarian and smarmy about it" attitude.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Here, I drew you guys a loving diagram.

I genuinely don't recall this sort of thing actually happening here but I also peace out of the thread whenever people decide to start relitigating bakugo or w/e so I might've missed it

e: I'm not going to stop them from posting about the tired old arguments but I'm also completely uninterested in them as topics so I check out somewhere else instead.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 11, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

lmfao

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xarbala posted:

I genuinely don't recall this sort of thing actually happening here

(because it didn't happen)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, poo poo. I really left myself open to that one, didn't I?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I genuinely don't recall this sort of thing actually happening here but I also peace out of the thread whenever people decide to start relitigating bakugo or w/e so I might've missed it

e: I'm not going to stop them from posting about the tired old arguments but I'm also completely uninterested in them as topics so I check out somewhere else instead.

I mean if you use this week as an example you have a single 'leak + spoiler' post that says "Another week, another girl with a weird quirk the fandom is gonna go nuts over" only an hour before the speedscan was linked and that's usually typical. Then 13 posts about the speedscan before Vigilantes was posted. Then it was 8 Vigilante and 8 speedscan posts before the official release was posted.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flesnolk posted:

Considering this is the site that freaks out and starts calling mods pedophiles whenever they do literally anything, I'm not sure how I expected this conversation to go

I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. Nobody in this thread is doing anything like that.

oh jay posted:

I hate myself, but I did some autism analytics and though the results weren't what I expected, it would be immoral not to report them regardless.

Distribution of posts by day of week.

On average, this thread does get a good majority of posts from Sunday onwards. I sliced it a few different ways and the results still hold generally.

Of course some of those Thu-Sat post counts are inflated by Vigilante discussions, and some of those Sun-Wed post counts are inflated by complaining about the poor quality of Thu-Sat posts. It is beyond the scope of this article to discern them.

My initial hypothesis of the thread behind Most Good™ still stands, though I still think "this week's speedscan was particularly poo poo, huh guys?" is boring, bad discourse.

Thank you for going through the work to share this data. But also, please don't use autistic/autism as a pejorative in ADTRW.

Also let's be clear, nobody is really interested in the "morality" of reading speedscans/pirating in thus discussion, nor would fanscanlation and talk about them be banned from ADTRW. The only issue is whether it would be better to split that discussion off in a separate thread or not, and to be honest, I kind of lean in favor of doing just that so that way both sides stop fighting each other, and to encourage more people to read and post once the official comes out.

Julias fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 11, 2021

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'm too fat and useless to compare post count but the One Piece thread never has issues over speed scans, you sometimes get a wow they bungled it but no one throws a pages long shitfit over posting about them before official release.

Tag vigilantes and speed scan spoilers I guess.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fat and Useless posted:

I'm too fat and useless to compare post count but the One Piece thread never has issues over speed scans, you sometimes get a wow they bungled it but no one throws a pages long shitfit over posting about them before official release.

Tag vigilantes and speed scan spoilers I guess.

It's both a thread culture issue, and One Piece generally being a simpler story to translate in comparison to MHA.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I see no reason to change the way the thread operates aside from possibly making Vigilantes its own thread since it's good enough to warrant its own, separate discussion.

Complaints about speedscans are complaints about spoiler tags, and we've got those and use them well enough. I do not understand the argument that "discussion dies early because speedscans exist." Like, we're splitting hairs about the weekly cycle of "chapter->reaction->speculation->spoilers->chapter."

If we're airing our frustrations about what we dislike about manga threads, I personally tire of baseless speculation and/or how someone thinks the author feels about unrelated issues. Even so, I'm not gonna demand we police those kinds of posts any different because when your threads need special goofy rules why bother participating in the first place. Spoiler spoilers, don't be a dick, the end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

I mean if you use this week as an example you have a single 'leak + spoiler' post that says "Another week, another girl with a weird quirk the fandom is gonna go nuts over" only an hour before the speedscan was linked and that's usually typical. Then 13 posts about the speedscan before Vigilantes was posted. Then it was 8 Vigilante and 8 speedscan posts before the official release was posted.

I meant the whole "discussion dying out or being quashed because of speedscans thing," far as I can tell discussion of the manga just sort of naturally keeps going until derailed? Which is usually what happens. It's not like you see people who read and talk about speedscans poo-pooing people who support the official releases for coming in "late," which is what that comic seemed to be implying. And if someone tried to do that they'd get blasted almost immediately and it would probably be funny watching the thread dunk on them.

From my perspective, if a chapter didn't have enough food for thought to sustain discussion for the two days it takes for the official release to drop then it's usually because there wasn't that much going on in that chapter to begin with. And that's fine, sometimes a chapter is just there to let previously-established surprises or reveals play out. There's always going to be discussion in a thread dedicated to discussing something so long as people care enough to do it.

It does look like this situation is a case of one group of posters wanting to get mods to step in to resolve a long-running pet peeve of theirs because they're not interested in some of the white noise that emerges due to the discrepancies between speedscans and official releases. And it looks like this has had more of a chilling effect on discussion of the manga than any speedscan release or chat thereof.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shinjobi posted:

I see no reason to change the way the thread operates aside from possibly making Vigilantes its own thread since it's good enough to warrant its own, separate discussion.

I would agree with this, except that it seems so close to the end as to be a prime example of "too late to the party"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also

Endorph posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Posting: Requiem

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
It's funny: A while back I started reading the One Piece manga, and joined the ADTRW One Piece Manga thread, and within a week, there was an intense "scanlation spoiler chat is ruining the thread!" discussion. Being new to the thread, I quietly lurked through it. Recently, I started reading the My Hero Academia (and Vigilantes) mangas, and joined the ADTRW MHA thread... and guess what we're discussing, less than a week after I started lurking? :) Which manga thread should I poo poo up next by deciding to read? :confuoot:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

XkyRauh posted:

It's funny: A while back I started reading the One Piece manga, and joined the ADTRW One Piece Manga thread, and within a week, there was an intense "scanlation spoiler chat is ruining the thread!" discussion. Being new to the thread, I quietly lurked through it. Recently, I started reading the My Hero Academia (and Vigilantes) mangas, and joined the ADTRW MHA thread... and guess what we're discussing, less than a week after I started lurking? :) Which manga thread should I poo poo up next by deciding to read? :confuoot:
We've been having this argument every month or so for the last 2 years or so. Moreso after Mangastream/Jaimini's Box went away.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

oh jay posted:

I hate myself, but I did some autism analytics and though the results weren't what I expected, it would be immoral not to report them regardless.

Distribution of posts by day of week.

On average, this thread does get a good majority of posts from Sunday onwards. I sliced it a few different ways and the results still hold generally.

Of course some of those Thu-Sat post counts are inflated by Vigilante discussions, and some of those Sun-Wed post counts are inflated by complaining about the poor quality of Thu-Sat posts. It is beyond the scope of this article to discern them.

My initial hypothesis of the thread behind Most Good™ still stands, though I still think "this week's speedscan was particularly poo poo, huh guys?" is boring, bad discourse.

And to add real content

The only real capitalist hero is Momo, who refuses to use her quirk to destroy the economy. And as anime-onlies have learned in the past few weeks, she is terrible!

Hm. Well, this runs counter to what I had thought, thank you for the analysis.

I guess I’ll pipe down about it then? If it is just literally a few of us just getting annoyed at the speed scans BS, it is what it is.
Seeing the (general tone of some posts, not a quote) “lmao no one is keeping you from posting, just post” was / still can be very disconcerting though. There still seems to be a non-trivial amount of people that see that speedscan chat and just say, “eh, gently caress it, I’ll go to another thread,” though, and I’m not sure how to fix that while there’s still speedscan chat.

Also Oh Jay, never apologize for that, it was very useful and much appreciated.

E: lol, case in point above

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I started reading the MHA manga around the start of the current anime season and finally caught up with the thread.

Holy poo poo.

Also season 6 is going to have to be 36 episodes long to get through the entire Liberation Army fight.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't think the Speedscan chat gets in the way of Vigilanties chat, I just don't think there's a huge amount of people posting about it.

On weeks with no MHA and a Vigilanties chapter its not like theres suddenly 10 pages of discussion because the spoiler bars aren't there.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My experience with the thread is that I see people posting in black bars due to the speedscans and peace out until the official scans come out. I dip back in to try and see if anyone's talking about Vigilantes, but unless they're quoting the person who posted the chapter link or tag their posts as Vigilantes chat, I'm wary of looking at the black bars just in case of main story spoilers.

By the time I finish reading the official scans, I go back to read through speedscan posts and find out people have already talked about the things I've thought about the chapter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hm. Well, this runs counter to what I had thought, thank you for the analysis.

I guess I’ll pipe down about it then? If it is just literally a few of us just getting annoyed at the speed scans BS, it is what it is.
Seeing the (general tone of some posts, not a quote) “lmao no one is keeping you from posting, just post” was / still can be very disconcerting though. There still seems to be a non-trivial amount of people that see that speedscan chat and just say, “eh, gently caress it, I’ll go to another thread,” though, and I’m not sure how to fix that while there’s still speedscan chat.

Also Oh Jay, never apologize for that, it was very useful and much appreciated.

E: lol, case in point above

Yeah I get it, tone can get pretty harsh when everyone's hashing out old arguments and that's not great

For what it's worth I mostly just lurk since I don't really care to get involved in speedscan spoiler bar chat and I agree that people oughta put courtesy tags next to their spoilers so people know whether or not they want to join in on that discussion

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

i dont read this manga but speedscans should be allowed because people seem like cops when they whine about it esp. with the whining about it being illegal lol

girl dick energy posted:

You're not an anti-capitalist superhero because you're reading free comic books two days early.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Kanos posted:

I'm in two separate unrelated discords that were briefly consumed for a couple of days with people discussing terrible shakycam rips and poorly written/translated plot summaries of the new Eva movie. A lot of people just really like finding out what's going to happen in the media they're following ASAP.

Yeah, I get the compulsion and frankly I used to read the speed scans every week too, but I can just wait 2 days anymore. Honestly I mostly just feel bad for Horikoshi when I read them. His art is really good and say what you will about the writing, it cant even get a fair shake when OFA AFO's The Jailbreaker.

The Eva movie I'm more inclined to concede because it'll be months or more before an official disc release, but that's splitting hairs. Read speedscans if you want.

amigolupus posted:

My experience with the thread is that I see people posting in black bars due to the speedscans and peace out until the official scans come out. I dip back in to try and see if anyone's talking about Vigilantes, but unless they're quoting the person who posted the chapter link or tag their posts as Vigilantes chat, I'm wary of looking at the black bars just in case of main story spoilers.

By the time I finish reading the official scans, I go back to read through speedscan posts and find out people have already talked about the things I've thought about the chapter.

This is my experience lately, but I'm just as happy reading the thread/lurking if I don't have anything to add to prior discussions. I think it would improve things if we just didn't spoiler tag Vigilantes chat, but I don't think we need any more rules.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Don't support illegally obtained lovely translated scans and wait for the free official release.
I'm legit surprised this is such a hot take for some people here.

But fine, more power to you, enjoy the speedscans I guess.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I pay for a Viz sub and own every volume of the series

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I personally mow Horikoshi's lawn, and always let him borrow a cup of sugar when he bakes cookies.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm only reading the speedscans so that I can steal all of his ideas without compensation and rewrite them as a series of YA novels set in an American school

I pay for the anime though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

christmas boots posted:

I'm only reading the speedscans so that I can steal all of his ideas without compensation and rewrite them as a series of YA novels set in an American school

Who do you envision as the American Jailbreaker?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

christmas boots posted:

Finally, a project to surpass Diesel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Drawing an MSPaint comic where OP calls me rude names to show as evidence that it totally happened.

I pay the sub and also read speedscans cause I like to follow the story and see what cool new lady Horikoshi has made for everyone to be horny about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just wanted to kvetch about the speedscans' translation being poor I didn't mean for it to become a whole thing that consumed pages of this thread and wasted the time of everyone involved.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

Who do you envision as the American Jailbreaker?

America... is the jail, friend.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

christmas boots posted:

America... is the jail, friend.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Mulderman posted:

Don't support illegally obtained lovely translated scans and wait for the free official release.
I'm legit surprised this is such a hot take for some people here.

But fine, more power to you, enjoy the speedscans I guess.

Thanks, I will

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

actually, i am

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
After seeing the last 4 pages of this thread I have never wanted to read the speedscans more than I do now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no but the whining about it being a crime is really funny

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Do we have a Joker parallel in MHA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted: