Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mike Watson, IdolNinja both on SA and Twitter, is dying.

You may know him has the grandfather of "Gentlemen of The Row", a massive mod that expanded Saints Row 2 and got it working on modern PCs.
He's been the community manager for Volition/Deep Silver for a while and had a spat with cancer that looked like it was over.

Unfortunately, it is not and he is preparing his last days alive.
https://twitter.com/DSVolition/status/1391762661365501956

Mike was always a very funny and supportive guy and it breaks my heart to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sucks to hear.

Even if it’s just something as simple as keeping an old game alive for the current generation, that’s still a solid legacy to go out on. Of course, there’s also being a community manager for a respected developer and I’m sure there’s friends and family that admire him too for various other reasons,

Make sure to fire a big flopping dildo at the big guy for me!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Theres just simply nothing redeeming about cancer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Full Metal Jackass posted:

my dad had cancer and after chemo he went into remission and he said his ball hair was super smooth

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've repped the Row since I reg'd and shall continue to do so because that game made up my early 20's. It was just so much dumb fun and Gentlemen Of The Row just kept adding feature after feature while Idolninja was being just the coolest dude about it all. I remember messing about with bike handling variables and the dude was so helpful and friendly the entire time.

He got to have his dream job and the passion he put into it is clear. No matter what happens the dude has a special place in my heart and he made it so thousands of people could have a few more hours of happiness in their lives and that's a legacy to be proud of

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

It did take out Rush Limbaugh

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
He isnt loving dead yet jesus Christ

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
we should harvest the organs of the rich and powerful and use them to help those who are good

imo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Chinatown posted:

we should harvest the organs of the rich and powerful and use them to help those who are good

imo

We should just nationalize their money and other assets instead. If they try to skip, tho, then we start w/ the organ harvesting

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Knowing you're going to die soon sounds terrible.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That loving sucks. I remember posting with him in the SR2 thread and the SR3 hype thread

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chinatown posted:

imo

I'm very good with this.

IdolNinja doesn't deserve to die :smith:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
im surprised more people dont just try to do a garage cyborgification in situations like this. like just scrap any of your parts that get malignant. someone had to this is ussr or nazi germany, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Breaks my heart. Goddamn cancer is a piece of poo poo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gentlemen of the row owned. Hope idolninja pulls through :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

really queer Christmas posted:

Gentlemen of the row owned. Hope idolninja pulls through :(

Same here but the wording of his post on Steam sounded like he knows it's fatal and rapidly approaching.

Not that it's our business but I recall it being face cancer. Just... gently caress this planet.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Katamari Democracy posted:

He isnt loving dead yet jesus Christ

oh poo poo cancel the thread its too early to care apparently

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

he seemed like a really cool dude and made a very cool mod for a good game

gently caress cancer, wish we could get rid of it already

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
IdolNinja you were such a big part of the SA Saints Row 2 (and 3) thread. I don't know what to say except I appreciate you and god speed. We all cheered for you when you got your dream job working for Volition. You're an amazing person and we love you.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 11, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Saints Row, motherfucker :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
christ that sucks :(

gonna play through the start of SR4 again just so I can push the "gently caress cancer" button. really slam my fist down on it.

IdolNinja if you ready this you're a cool and dedicated guy and you made a fun game series even more fun

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
IdolNinja is great, I introduced someone to the Saints Row series last year and they love it as much as I do. He did a great job making these games accessible to people who would otherwise not be able to play them and he brought his energy to Volition by encouraging them to include Workshop Support for 4 and show off the prototype for the cancelled PSP game. His legacy will live on as long as people are playing this classic game.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Revins posted:

oh poo poo cancel the thread its too early to care apparently

that guy made like 5 posts pleading for jeffrey to make his stupid tank icon show up in dark mode lol

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

gently caress Cancer

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for flagging this. "F" for respect.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Saints row 2 is the best saints row

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

gently caress, he was deffo part of what made SA amazing in that period.

Thanks for all the fun you gave me dude.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Inept posted:

that guy made like 5 posts pleading for jeffrey to make his stupid tank icon show up in dark mode lol

I didnt think he got the message so I gave up

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Saints row 2 is the best saints row
:haibrow:

This was a good man and though I only learned of him today I will miss him and his contributions to the world terribly. He has done good work and he should rest with satisfaction.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm really hoping he and the other people Volition has hired can finish the patch before he passes, so he can see people enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It seems like he's made peace with his end, which is rare and should be treasured but only makes it more tragic.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you do not, in fact, "gotta hand it" to cancer

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

IdolNinja passed away yesterday, same day Volition posted that garbage Saints Row rebooted trailer. I hope he didn't see it before he went.

What a poo poo day.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Saints Row 2 doesn't work on modern PC's?

Oh, I guess it's from 2008. My 10 year old rig ran it no problem though. Eh, maybe that is reasonable.

Edit: I just realized this thread is from 3 months ago and he just died. :(

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
rip dude, seemed like a cool guy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
rip. you did great work on gentlemen of the row

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Sucks to hear.
Going to see if I can get SR2 working on my computer this weekend, drat good game.

Plastic Pal posted:

IdolNinja passed away yesterday, same day Volition posted that garbage Saints Row rebooted trailer. I hope he didn't see it before he went.

What a poo poo day.

Yeah, that was absolute dog poo poo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't post much in GBS for obvious reasons but that sucks. gently caress cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
RIP to a real one. I bet he would have been cool to have met.