Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lmao adding him to the list along with matt gertz (media matters guy who gets angry tweets about matt gaetz) and ben rothenberg (freelance tennis coverage guy who gets moronic yinzers in his mentions whenever ben roethlisberger overthrows a wide open receiver downfield)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Teeth posted:

lmao adding him to the list along with matt gertz (media matters guy who gets angry tweets about matt gaetz) and ben rothenberg (freelance tennis coverage guy who gets moronic yinzers in his mentions whenever ben roethlisberger overthrows a wide open receiver downfield)

Also a free speech advocate named Sarah McLaughlin. She used to have a picture of Eowyn about to kill the witch king with the caption, "I am no Canadian singer," pinned on her Twitter profile.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Also a free speech advocate named Sarah McLaughlin. She used to have a picture of Eowyn about to kill the witch king with the caption, "I am no Canadian singer," pinned on her Twitter profile.

Also, the Baltimore Ravens radio commentator Gerry Sandusky deserves to be in this discussion

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's an Iowa beat writer named Mark Emmert who gets yelled at every time the NCAA does something lovely

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
my personal favorite:

https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1388728191229984774?s=21

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Kalyn Kalher is killing it on the Deshaun Watson story at Defector. Just a real good, deeply reported article that adds a ton of context.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Kalyn Kalher is killing it on the Deshaun Watson story at Defector. Just a real good, deeply reported article that adds a ton of context.

That was a really good read, and based on the fact that I loving hate Tony Buzbee and otherwise had no quarrel with Deshaun Watson I instinctively wanted to just say "nah they lyin'" but that article does put a lot of good context around it.

Though still gently caress Tony Buzbee

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

That Jon Jones getting into MMA is a pretty awesome story. He's a pretty good twitter follow if you're into nerdy poo poo and ramen.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 5, 2021

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

unsurprisingly, fox is buying clay travis' site

https://twitter.com/Outkick/status/1390051222229553152

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wall Street Journal posted:

Sports-media outlet the Athletic is no longer in merger talks with news publisher Axios, people familiar with the situation said, but the company is continuing to pursue a deal that could expand its subscription-oriented business.

The Athletic views the New York Times Co. as a leading contender for a merger tie-up, the people said. Such a deal would bring the Athletics more than one million paying subscribers to the Times, which has seen digital-news subscriptions slow since former President Donald Trump left office.

The Athletic charges $7.99 a month for sports content, including coverage of teams in all the major sports. The outlet has recruited beat reporters and columnists in local markets, often by offering big pay increases to attract them from traditional news organizations.

The company competes against a host of sites that mostly offer free sports content, including the Ringer, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports and ESPN.com. The Athletic was valued at $475 million in its last funding round, announced in January 2020, according to PitchBook.

The Athletic doesnt disclose detailed financial results, including whether it is profitable. The company generated about $80 million in revenue in 2020, according to a person familiar with the matter. It raised $55 million in January 2020 and has significant expenses, according to people familiar with the matter, including more than 600 employees, many of them top-tier reporters recruited from other news organizations.

Operational costs have been reduced during the pandemic, with many of the Athletics local beat reporters suspending travel.

The Wall Street Journal reported in March that the Athletic was in merger talks with Axios. The companies jointly explored a tie-up that could involve a deal with a special-purpose acquisition companyalso known as a blank-check companybut those discussions havent moved forward, people familiar with the situation said.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
NYT would honestly be a pretty good match for them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1390366040689987590

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

in before someone asks if he was actually drunk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not this thread's finest hour

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

not this thread's finest hour

Yeah, even after Megan Greenwell posted that long, long story on Deadspin about had happened to Magary and how frightening that night was for everyone, there were still some jackwagons here insisting it was all a false flag and Magary was just blackout drunk and fell and hit his head. It was pretty gross.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hasnt Magary himself said he was extremely drunk at the time, even though it wasnt necessarily the cause of the incident? I know I read his eventual Deadspin piece, which left the actual cause ambiguous (because the doctors themselves seemingly didnt have a satisfactory answer, not because he was playing coy).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Dog posted:

Hasnt Magary himself said he was extremely drunk at the time, even though it wasnt necessarily the cause of the incident? I know I read his eventual Deadspin piece, which left the actual cause ambiguous (because the doctors themselves seemingly didnt have a satisfactory answer, not because he was playing coy).

Per Magary's wife, and Greenwell, he was not drunk. And the cause wasn't ambiguous: He had a massive cerebral hemorrhage, most likely caused by a weakened blood vessel in his brain. That's the long and the short of it, there was no nefarious cover-up and the way some people were obsessed with finding holes in anyone's story in some bizarre attempt to dunk on Magary via the Internet was really bizarre and, frankly, sick.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got a pretty bad concussion last night and am still sort of piecing things together and gradually feeling like myself. From Drew's Defector article:

quote:

Its a hell of a thing to wake up inside a mind you dont know, especially when youre still under the impression that its the same mind you always had.

I felt this acutely even though I was only thinking a little foggy and sporadically skipping some short term memories. That must be terrifying to go through his experience.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

General Dog posted:

Hasn’t Magary himself said he was extremely drunk at the time, even though it wasn’t necessarily the cause of the incident? I know I read his eventual Deadspin piece, which left the actual cause ambiguous (because the doctors themselves seemingly didn’t have a satisfactory answer, not because he was playing coy).

Magary at some point shortly after he woke up from his coma, and 100% not lucid, got a hold of his phone while in his hospital bed and tweeted he had been drunk. He also tweeted something to the effect that suddenly blood started coming from his neck. So, y'know, probably trust the people who were there and lucid. It's not even like there's be any reason to cover up if he had been drinking.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

morestuff posted:

A better one than Axios.

I really like the Athletic, I just don't know how it's possibly sustainable as a business model. But then, I've thought that about a lot of companies that somehow survived for years despite not having an obvious path to making money like Tesla from 2012-2018 or Uber since it was founded.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Apologies, I wasnt accusing Drew or any of his circle of lying, I was apparently just foggy about what hed said himself after the fact. And of course if he was actually drunk at a party and also happened to have a brain hemorrhage, its not like thats any kind of scandal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah it was just that the news was weirdly broken to the public in pieces that seemed conflicting at the time.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think some people connected the dots between him quitting drinking after the incident and assumed it was because he was drunk at the time. But hes pretty open in one of his books about drinking being a problem for him and his denial about it being a problem for a long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

I think some people connected the dots between him quitting drinking after the incident and assumed it was because he was drunk at the time. But hes pretty open in one of his books about drinking being a problem for him and his denial about it being a problem for a long time.

He also had to quit drinking after the incident because alcohol consumption is a huge risk factor for another brain bleed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congratulations to The Atlanta Journal Constitution who managed to put up like 3 separate headlines about Colt Brennan dying without actually mentioning his loving name.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...n=snd-autopilot

The headline itself still doesn't mention it. The URL is the original headline of "Quarterback Georgia defeated in 2008 Sugar Bowl has died".

I'm sure that's some SEO bullshit to get people to click through but come the gently caress on

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Congratulations to The Atlanta Journal Constitution who managed to put up like 3 separate headlines about Colt Brennan dying without actually mentioning his loving name.

The headline itself still doesn't mention it. The URL is the original headline of "Quarterback Georgia defeated in 2008 Sugar Bowl has died".

I'm sure that's some SEO bullshit to get people to click through but come the gently caress on

I watched that game and no one can convince me he lived through it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

DJExile posted:

They must be on headline #4 now because it finally reads 'Colt Brennan, a star at University of Hawaii, dead at 37'.

Like, how loving hard is it to get something like that right from the start?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

That's rough. I didn't know he died. True hurler, I loved watching him play in college so much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rick posted:

That's rough. I didn't know he died. True hurler, I loved watching him play in college so much.

Its apparently very recent and something that might need to be handled with more care than QB of the WAC team them Dawgs beat in the Sugar Bowl found dead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

harperdc posted:

Its apparently very recent and something that might need to be handled with more care than QB of the WAC team them Dawgs beat in the Sugar Bowl found dead.

Lol yeah. Extremely Georgia Fan way of handling that though too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

paperwind posted:

They must be on headline #4 now because it finally reads 'Colt Brennan, a star at University of Hawaii, dead at 37'.

Like, how loving hard is it to get something like that right from the start?

A guy who played in the 08 sugar bowl is 37 now? Jesus.

Well, I guess not 37 anymore but you get it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

morestuff posted:

Probably, but at the same time I would hate to give any money to the NYT.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lockback posted:

A guy who played in the 08 sugar bowl is 37 now? Jesus.

Well, I guess not 37 anymore but you get it.

He wouldve been 24, so a little old for college.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It just occured to me while reading The Defector that Sam Darnold looks kinda like Drew Magary

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It just occured to me while reading The Defector that Sam Darnold looks kinda like Drew Magary

Yeah this is something Drew has joked about for years.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
He referred to Darnold as his football failson for a while, before being supplanted by some other milquetoast QB.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That picture of Darnold looks like the guy from The League who pretended to be in 9/11.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

All I'm seeing here is Cary Elwes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

He referred to Darnold as his football failson for a while, before being supplanted by some other milquetoast QB.

Joe Burrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Darnold was the most drew-looking QB until Burrow took the crown as Most Magary