Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Algol Star posted:

There were also kings called childeric the idiot and aethlred the unready' too, probs not to their face though.

Aethelred almost certainly was never called that to his face, there's no evidence of the epithet until more than a century after his death. It's mostly an amusing pun too, Athelread means "Well-Advised" and unread in the original Anglo-Saxon means "Ill-advised". Nice council no council.

The transliteration into modern Unready might also be an attempt at the same, one might expect a 12 year old king to be Unready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Happy Thread posted:

Season 8 had so many completely botched callback lines stolen from the good seasons

my favorite is when Melisandre switches up the order of "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" to put "blue eyes" last so it matches up with her killing the night king.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

my favorite is when Melisandre switches up the order of "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" to put "blue eyes" last so it matches up with her killing the night king.

Melisandre kind of forgot about how her own prophecy went.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I gotta quote a segment of the books for you nine-gear-crow, that I can't stop thinking about a certain character from a certain video game series whenever I read it.

quote:

I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don't you see? Don't you SEE?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I gotta quote a segment of the books for you nine-gear-crow, that I can't stop thinking about a certain character from a certain video game series whenever I read it.

I get why she went bonkers and leveled Kings Landing now. Cersei trampled all over her CRISP WHITE SHEETS.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, the ending we would have had if Emilia Clarke had channeled some Kate Mulgrew energy and just played Season 8 Dany as absolutely unambiguously bugfuck insane out of spite for D&D demolishing her character with 4 gobsmackingly awful scripts. It really WOULD have been the best season eveah.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Aethelred almost certainly was never called that to his face, there's no evidence of the epithet until more than a century after his death. It's mostly an amusing pun too, Athelread means "Well-Advised" and unread in the original Anglo-Saxon means "Ill-advised". Nice council no council.

The transliteration into modern Unready might also be an attempt at the same, one might expect a 12 year old king to be Unready.

Anyone who must say they are unready is no unready

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Anyone who must say they are unready is no unready

History’s greatest humblebrag.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

King HUGEDONG THE ERECT, MASTER OF ALL HE SURVEYS AND HE'S AWESOME the broken.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I get why she went bonkers and leveled Kings Landing now. Cersei trampled all over her CRISP WHITE SHEETS.

And how many people did they say lived in King's Landing.

ONE

MILLION

LIVES

GONE

(maniacle cackling)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Was he called that to his face though?

Norse society was kinda rough. If you had a physical deformity that was now your name. Like Magnus IV of Norway, who was blinded, castrated and had one leg cut off, and was lucky that he was only called Magnus the Blind.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Norse society was kinda rough. If you had a physical deformity that was now your name. Like Magnus IV of Norway, who was blinded, castrated and had one leg cut off, and was lucky that he was only called Magnus the Blind.

What did they call him in written records?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ilmucche posted:

What did they call him in written records?

They legit called him Magnus the Blind

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

The end of Aryas arc kind of sucks since in the books it seems very much like she's having a moral descent into darkness, rather than just getting more badass.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There is a point I wonder if that the end of the books for the Starks is that they've become the bad guys and nobody realizes it, even themselves. Or if they'll realize their descent and pull out of it just in time.

Even at the end of the show Arya dropped a very Cersei line, "I don't want to know her, she's not one of us."

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Or if they'll realize their descent and pull out of it just in time.

I can't see Lady Stoneheart's purpose in the books being something other than a cautitionary tale on spite and revenge for either Arya, Sansa or Jon or a mix of them.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Taear posted:

If he was blind they could've called him anything they wanted in the written account, missed opportunity

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ilmucche posted:

If he was blind they could've called him anything they wanted in the written account, missed opportunity

Magnus the Dumbass Whose Friends are Really Cool And Wont Tell Him I Called Him A Dumbass

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

massive spider posted:

The end of Aryas arc kind of sucks since in the books it seems very much like she's having a moral descent into darkness, rather than just getting more badass.

Arya who has massacred an entire family and baked them into pies is appalled by Dany's actions.

Taear posted:

You have to wonder if Harald Greycloak wore his cloak made out of squirrel fur so that he would be named after that and not some physical deformity.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 17, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Alhazred posted:

Arya who has massacred an entire family and baked them into pies is appalled by Dany's actions.

She knows a killer when she sees one.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Arya who has massacred an entire family and baked them into pies is appalled by Dany's actions..

It's okay, the Hound gave her a talk about the futility of revenge after she'd already gone and done that poo poo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's okay, the Hound gave her a talk about the futility of revenge after she'd already gone and done that poo poo

And then the Hound goes on a quest of revenge.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Arya has objectively lapped the Hound in horrible murders by that point

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Easily. The Hound did some questionable poo poo in service to lovely kings because it was his job. Arya literally massacred an entire House and associated Lords by her lonesome because she wanted to. The most coherent way to read her choice to leave Braavos is that she wasn't horrified at the notion of becoming a tool of murder, she was annoyed that she didn't get to choose.

It'd be like if in Batman Begins, Ra's al Ghul told Bruce to kill some random Mongolian shepherd, and Bruce was like, "I refuse! But not because of the principle of the thing...I just wanted these ninja skills so I could loving stab Carmine Falcone's eyes out and slit his bitch-rear end throat."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xealot posted:

Easily. The Hound did some questionable poo poo in service to lovely kings because it was his job. Arya literally massacred an entire House and associated Lords by her lonesome because she wanted to. The most coherent way to read her choice to leave Braavos is that she wasn't horrified at the notion of becoming a tool of murder, she was annoyed that she didn't get to choose.

It'd be like if in Batman Begins, Ra's al Ghul told Bruce to kill some random Mongolian shepherd, and Bruce was like, "I refuse! But not because of the principle of the thing...I just wanted these ninja skills so I could loving stab Carmine Falcone's eyes out and slit his bitch-rear end throat."

I mean she has some reason to kill the Freys but she serves a man a pie made from his two murdered sons. That's a lot of effort!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It really was a joke how they dispatched the Freys.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Anything can happen when it's offscreen. Writing trick.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pattonesque posted:

I mean she has some reason to kill the Freys but she serves a man a pie made from his two murdered sons. That's a lot of effort!

She's basically cartman

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There's a greek tragedy (Thyestes) about someone serving up two sons as a meal to a rival as revenge. The writers probably just tried to do something like that but basically didn't consider just how insanely hosed in the head Arya has to be to go through with it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I prefer the book version where Wyman Manderly serves suspiciously huge pies at Ramsay's wedding and sings a song about the rat cook (which is about baking people in pies) - never actually confirming that the Freys are in the pies. It doesn't really make sense for Arya to do it in some Saw-esque reveal, and it's more of a cruel little secret that the reader would only pick up on if they're reading between the lines.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

stev posted:

I prefer the book version where Wyman Manderly serves suspiciously huge pies at Ramsay's wedding and sings a song about the rat cook (which is about baking people in pies) - never actually confirming that the Freys are in the pies. It doesn't really make sense for Arya to do it in some Saw-esque reveal, and it's more of a cruel little secret that the reader would only pick up on if they're reading between the lines.

Wyman Manderly's plot is awesome because he's shown very specifically arranging it so guest right is never broken, and he happily eats the probable Frey pies right along with them just so nobody suspects.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It's the kind of subtlety that 2nd half GoT has no place for. Like, it's the literal reaping of "The North Remembers" which was sown earlier. What did the show do with that cool line again anyway? Oh right... nothing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also they did Manderly dirty when they did show him. I said it at the time and I've said it since but considering how little happened in season 5 it's insane they just excised that plot. It's like the Red Wedding just didn't happen in the later seasons.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did they even have Manderly in the show?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah he's the second guy to pledge after lord Glover in Jon's "King in the North" scene

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It’s such a hilarious pledge as that Glover motherfucker is gone again the second Jon needs him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah Lyanna Mormont calls him out after the Battle of the Bastards.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Orange Devil posted:

It’s such a hilarious pledge as that Glover motherfucker is gone again the second Jon needs him.

And considering that the White Walkers were stopped at Winterfell he made the smart decision.

What I liked about that council was that they introduced some northern lords that we hadn't seen before but aside from lord Glover showing up a season later neither lords Manderly or Cerwyn make a return. Instead we get Lyanna Mormont.

Like Jesus Christ, who did Cersei's small council consist of? Game of Thrones was poo poo since season 5 but after season 6 they gleefully threw away the things that make people tune in to begin with.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It does always amuse me that people argue Jon would be a good king in the show when every time he's in a leadership position, it goes poorly for him.

He disregards the politics and feelings of the Night's Watch and lets the wildlings through. It's absolutely the right call, but he doesn't even attempt to politic around it, he just says, "I'm Lord Commander, I'm doing it." And as a result the Night's Watch- who have reasonable reasons to hate wildlings- loving murder him. (In the books it's much more obvious that Jon had it coming; he basically announces he's going to take the Wildlings and march on Winterfell to help Stannis and a group of Night's Watchmen basically realize this is him breaking his oaths and assassinate him for it).

When he becomes King in the North he immediately fucks away to Dragonstone to start eye-loving and eventually actually loving Dany, and the Northern lords get so discontent at his continued absence that they literally tell Sansa "we think we made a mistake here, why don't we make you Queen instead?" Hell in the version with a deleted scene it's only that Sansa knows Arya would kill her for betraying Jon that she DIDN'T accept their offer.

Jon is very much a person who fixates too large on the Bigger Picture, his Grand Plan to the point he misses some of the nearer details, and those usually blow up in his face with catastrophic results. Which is in direct contrast to Dany, who tends to fixate on solving the smaller problems closer to home right now that she's forgetting that she's not meant to stay in Slaver's Bay permanently. She's making no long-term plan for her desired exodus to Westeros.

ANNNNNNYWAYS back onto Sky Shadowing's Insanity Spree...

I've always wondered if Dany's title of Stormborn is actually a clever hint of her true heritage. To whit, as Snows are Northern bastards, Stormlander bastards are named Storm. I've wondered at times if she was born in the Stormlands (to Rhaegar and Lyanna, obviously), because Team Targaryen would never consider her anything other than a bastard, thus she would surnamed Storm. They'd trick Viserys into legitimizing her, I'm sure, but that would mean that her title Stormborn doesn't mean what she thinks it means- she isn't named that because she was born in a Huge Fuckoff Storm, but because she was "born a Storm." Bastard-born.

I just have never been able to plot the where, when, and why of it. I still can't entirely, so I'm reluctant to embrace it firmly, as I can't access then when or why... but I figured out the where.

Summerhall, Rhaegar's favorite place in all the world. The place he was born as the better part of his extended family were burning to death. Which is... frankly an odd place to have as your favorite place in all the world, but Rhaegar was an odd dude.

All this time I thought Summerhall was in the goddamn Riverlands, not the Stormlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
People who want Jon as king really just want Aragorn as king. Jon would be a terrible king. (Arguably better than Bran though)