Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

Regnevelc posted:

Kentucky offered Clink an extension today and it wasn’t accepted. Michigan is in talks with him and should be able to offer 650k-700k (he makes 500k at UK) and a Co-Defensive Coordinator title. I think that gets it done.

This loss sucks - Clink was a great coach and recruiter for us. He's going to clean up in the Detroit area until y'all finally fire Haurbaugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

soggybagel posted:

I wish Hawaii became a power house.

They had one big opportunity. It, uh, didn't go well.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

well too late he already was but also I think you can say that it's sad he died young and that he was a fun football player to watch without saying he was an amazing person

I don't think he threw for 500 but against Arizona he threw for 3 TDs and 3 INTs in the first half and then got benched in the second half after throwing another TD and another INT which is basically the perfect Cole McDonald game

cfb needs more funslingers

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

well too late he already was but also I think you can say that it's sad he died young and that he was a fun football player to watch without saying he was an amazing person

Y-yes?

I was literally just asking because my memory was more severe on the accusations but from what i can see it wasn't worse than the credible accusations against Peyton Manning that everyone seems to have ignored. :shrug:

gently caress, 37 though. His dad said he was in rehab. Addiction loving sucks.

Declan MacManus posted:

cfb needs more funslingers

The One True Funslinger has already moved past his football playing days and everyone else is just trying to play the part.

it's Rex Grossman :clint:

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

LeeMajors posted:

Y-yes?

I was literally just asking because my memory was more severe on the accusations but from what i can see it wasn't worse than the credible accusations against Peyton Manning that everyone seems to have ignored. :shrug:

gently caress, 37 though. His dad said he was in rehab. Addiction loving sucks.

The One True Funslinger has already moved past his football playing days and everyone else is just trying to play the part.

it's Rex Grossman :clint:

Brennan posted about a month ago about it, maintained his innocence and that he'd passed a polygraph........by other accounts I've heard its possible he was too drunk to remember what he did that night.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wernox posted:

Brennan posted about a month ago about it, maintained his innocence and that he'd passed a polygraph........by other accounts I've heard its possible he was too drunk to remember what he did that night.

This is probably true but also not a good excuse!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/AJCsports/status/1392200372647829505?s=19

i know the fanbase is pathologically unable to stop talking about this game but jfc

e: deleted but it the atlanta journal constitution framing brennan's death as "quarterback who lost to Georgia dies"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 11, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

i know the fanbase is pathologically unable to stop talking about this game but jfc

:lmao:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This is one of those situations where I wonder how people can think this way. Like I can see how you'd think OF that, for example if Ty Detmer passed away tomorrow I would immediately remember the 1990 Holiday Bowl hearing his name because it's about the only thing I know him from, but I'd never even conceive of "this should be the basis of my tweet about it" even if I literally owned and ran an A&M fan site.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

fast cars loose anus posted:

This is one of those situations where I wonder how people can think this way. Like I can see how you'd think OF that, for example if Ty Detmer passed away tomorrow I would immediately remember the 1990 Holiday Bowl hearing his name because it's about the only thing I know him from, but I'd never even conceive of "this should be the basis of my tweet about it" even if I literally owned and ran an A&M fan site.

I think if ty detmer died people would probably think about him winning the literal heisman trophy first but maybe people are more invested in rc slocum's biggest wins than I think they are

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 11, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

Pac 12 should have gobbled them up since it wouldn't matter if they were bottom dwellers talk about a recruiting pitch! You want to go to Hawaii during your college playing time on our dime!?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

MourningView posted:

I think if ty detmer died people would probably think about him winning the literal heisman trophy first but maybe people are more invested in rc slocum's biggest wins than I think they are

Yeah that's literally what I'm getting at in the post?

Like the point of my post is that the Holiday Bowl basically shouldn't factor into any discussion of his death any more than that Sugar Bowl should factor into the discussion of Colt Brennan's

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

e: deleted but it the atlanta journal constitution framing brennan's death as "quarterback who lost to Georgia dies"

reheadlined and still getting ratioed

https://twitter.com/AJCsports/status/1392232174930309124

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haha thats the laziest "re-write."

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/1392184882399518723?s=21

RIP to the loving legend

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Haha thats the laziest "re-write."
I can practically feel the disdain emanating from it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Why are Georgia fans so mad about that Sugar Bowl? It was an easy Georgia blowout. Fans should be happy for a chance to drink and eat for 3 hours stress-free

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why are Georgia fans so mad about that Sugar Bowl? It was an easy Georgia blowout. Fans should be happy for a chance to drink and eat for 3 hours stress-free

I don't get the sense they're mad they have just decided that Hawaii losing by a lot means every G5 team forever is a fraud.

Here's more about that Minnesota football story posted earlier, does not sound great

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...impression=true

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

I don't get the sense they're mad they have just decided that Hawaii losing by a lot means every G5 team forever is a fraud.

Here's more about that Minnesota football story posted earlier, does not sound great

I'm sure there are no databases that track this but I wonder how many people on average medically retire every year from a given program? I'm not saying this in a "what about them" way because I'm not Fleck fan. I just would love to see numbers from power 5 programs and the attrition they see.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

I mean it's far from the worst thing here but what the actual gently caress if this is expected when you just see the guy walk into a meeting room?

quote:

WCCO also found Fleck’s coaching staff has been a bit of a carousel. Half of his position coaches have been with him for the last four years. The others have left. The U says turnover is common in college football. But, one coach who didn’t want to be identified told WCCO he couldn’t back Fleck as a head coach and quit over “too much manipulation of the players.”

“As soon as he came in all of us, including the staff members, would stand up and clap repeatedly,” Reigelsberger said.

I guess maybe it's the idea that you should get hyped and excited to...watch film...but the way it's presented by this guy seems more like he demanded adulation.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Southern aristocrats don't get a chance to so dramatically put the lower class in their place so much anymore

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's far from the worst thing here but what the actual gently caress if this is expected when you just see the guy walk into a meeting room?

I guess maybe it's the idea that you should get hyped and excited to...watch film...but the way it's presented by this guy seems more like he demanded adulation.

they must have Elite Energy

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

D.N. Nation posted:

Beating Georgia that year wasn't going to make them a powerhouse but I just have to say I love how you never miss an opportunity to dunk on Hawaii because of that game. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been a Hawaii fan for a long time but it's been like clockwork for years and I'm not even mad, it's genuinely fun to see.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

this poo poo is pathetic lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Clap repeatedly" is just ambiguous enough that I can't really decide what to think.

If it was like...applause like he's Leno coming out or something, that's weird.

If it was like everyone claps together getting all fired up, kinda weird, but less weird?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

It's a few things:

1) UGA fans think they should've played for the natty that season. Yep, they had 2 losses, both of them pretty greasy, and didn't win the SEC East. But they were #4 in the BCS going into conference championship weekend, and #1 and #2 lost that weekend, soooo. I'm of mind that '07 UGA should've just taken care of business against SCAR and were on a back-half heater more than anything...but also MBUT U MUST WIN DIVISION literally only a half-decade after Nebraska pulled the trick was obnoxious.

1.5) UGA was jumped by LSU and Ohio State, which, fine. But they were also jumped by VT/OU, who ate copious amounts of poo poo in their bowls to really prove the wisdom of that affront.

2) Barring that, UGA fans think they should've played USC in a BCS game. Tie-ins are dumb. A bunch of 900-year-olds in ill-fitting suits demanded we get that loving Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl, so we got USC/Illinois, which sucked, and UGA/Hawai'i, which sucked. USC/UGA would've owned. UGA would've likely been smoked, but it would've been fun.

3) Famed homophobe Thom Brennaman, upon realizing he wasn't getting Boise/OU II, proceeded to make what should've been a fun blowout absolutely unwatchable. He whined that UGA was leaving the starters in. He whined that UGA was blitzing (they weren't). He mowed through Rinaldi-level backstory stuff for Hawai'i benchwarmers no one cared about. He talked about Tebow. He accidentally called Georgia "the Gators" at one point. A wretched performance.

TL;DR: UGA fans were annoyed in the exact same way any other fanbase would've been, RIP Colt

also given the state of the newspaper industry, there's a good chance the AJC's social media work is offshored to Ukraine; they've long ago gotten rid of their copydesk staff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

also given the state of the newspaper industry, there's a good chance the AJC's social media work is offshored to Ukraine; they've long ago gotten rid of their copydesk staff.

Probably not the Ukraine, but they're owned by Cox which owns 5 other newspapers. So there's likely a "central desk" in the offices of one of those 6 papers that's in charge of copy editing, wire editing, social postings, and headline writing for all 6 newspapers.

It's an Associated Press story on the AJC website, so it's completely possible no one on the AJC sports team made that decision at all. Someone on the central desk could have pulled the story off the wire, wrote the headline themself, and posted it on social themself.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

D.N. Nation posted:

It's a few things:

1) UGA fans think they should've played for the natty that season. Yep, they had 2 losses, both of them pretty greasy, and didn't win the SEC East. But they were #4 in the BCS going into conference championship weekend, and #1 and #2 lost that weekend, soooo. I'm of mind that '07 UGA should've just taken care of business against SCAR and were on a back-half heater more than anything...but also MBUT U MUST WIN DIVISION literally only a half-decade after Nebraska pulled the trick was obnoxious.

1.5) UGA was jumped by LSU and Ohio State, which, fine. But they were also jumped by VT/OU, who ate copious amounts of poo poo in their bowls to really prove the wisdom of that affront.

2) Barring that, UGA fans think they should've played USC in a BCS game. Tie-ins are dumb. A bunch of 900-year-olds in ill-fitting suits demanded we get that loving Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl, so we got USC/Illinois, which sucked, and UGA/Hawai'i, which sucked. USC/UGA would've owned. UGA would've likely been smoked, but it would've been fun.

3) Famed homophobe Thom Brennaman, upon realizing he wasn't getting Boise/OU II, proceeded to make what should've been a fun blowout absolutely unwatchable. He whined that UGA was leaving the starters in. He whined that UGA was blitzing (they weren't). He mowed through Rinaldi-level backstory stuff for Hawai'i benchwarmers no one cared about. He talked about Tebow. He accidentally called Georgia "the Gators" at one point. A wretched performance.

TL;DR: UGA fans were annoyed in the exact same way any other fanbase would've been, RIP Colt

why does any of this mean that 2017 UCF was bad though because uga fans could not stop talking about it then

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

why does any of this mean that 2017 UCF was bad though because uga fans could not stop talking about it then

What do you mean 'then'? One of the funniest ways to still get a UGA fan riled up is to talk about UCF's national championship

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

D.N. Nation posted:

It's a few things:

illinois being in the rose bowl is good and they should have been in it in 2001 instead of the sugar bowl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

illinois being in the rose bowl is good and they should have been in it in 2001 instead of the sugar bowl

same with iowa in 2002, but I guess we just played a rose bowl in Miami instead, right down to the big ten team getting trashed by USC.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

Big dumb football program has big dumb fans, sic em woof woof.

I imagine MBUT HAWAII will fall by the wayside now that UGA/Cincy happened in the meantime

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Late to the Caslen stuff, but yeah, he absolutely should have never been hired in the first place and it's hair-pulling levels of absurd that he hasn't been fired already. Students, faculty/staff, and even some board members protested his hiring, but the governor stepped in and railroaded him through the process despite all the objections (and the fact he didn't even meet one of the basic requirements for the job, which is having a PhD; also, the botched hiring process landed us under investigation by the accreditation folks, which was a nice bonus). He's committed several faux paus since then (running off our biggest, billionaire donor for starters),, but obviously ripping off a graduation speech and calling us the University of California (?!) is the icing on the poo poo cake. Dude seems to have zero social skills or awareness, which is kind of a big loving deal if you're a university president. But he's former military and was in charge of West Point and is a god-fearing Trumper, so CLEARLY he was the right man for the job!! His qualifications can pretty much entirely be boiled down to "owning the libs," so here we are, predictably owning the poo poo out of ourselves instead.

This is SC's biggest problem -- political interference from the governor and especially the board of trustees, all of whom are appointed and thus largely don't have ties to the school or reasons to care about it. It's why we'll never sustain success in any sport (and why we currently look like total assclowns), because our university is just a political plaything for the state legislature.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 12, 2021

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I don't know anything about the University of South Carolina, but is it that much of a liberal stronghold that the libs are even being owned here?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I don't know anything about the University of South Carolina, but is it that much of a liberal stronghold that the libs are even being owned here?

Libs are always being owned whether they are present or not. If you buy a Trump prayer candle or liberal tears mug that's only ever seen by your equally chuddy significant other? You just owned the libs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would guess even in the SEC most college campuses are pretty liberal relative to the areas around them even if it's not exactly Berkeley. Conservatives around here love to rail against the socialist tyranny of iowa city

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

I would guess even in the SEC most college campuses are pretty liberal relative to the areas around them even if it's not exactly Berkeley. Conservatives around here love to rail against the socialist tyranny of iowa city

I think so, and the contrast is probably greater than with campuses that are liberal/lefty but located in more liberal/lefty areas. I mean Cal might have a bunch of radical marxists and whatnot but it is located in Berkeley where most folks are going to be tolerant of that to a degree, even if they're old LibDems who roll their eyes at the idealistic youths. Meanwhile in SEC country a lot of people see Biden-type establishment democrats as like an existential threat, so they're bound to be horrified at liberals on campus.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s even more fun that he offered to resign and the board rejected his offer.

ALL IN BABY

Also yeah Cola is probably more progressive than the burbs surrounding it but the bar is very low.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Conservatives view education as a field inherently dominated by liberals, and yeah, most college campuses do lean that way, so location is pretty irrelevant.

LeeMajors posted:

It’s even more fun that he offered to resign and the board rejected his offer.

ALL IN BABY

Also yeah Cola is probably more progressive than the burbs surrounding it but the bar is very low.

My parents live pretty close to USC's campus and love to talk about how they're sticking it to the libs by voting Republican. They seem to view themselves as some sort of political minority because their neighborhood happens to be a tiny blue speck in the unrelenting sea of deep red that is South Carolina. But yeah, you sure showed them, guys!!

The Caslen matter doesn't appear to be settled just yet, although yes, the board rejecting his offer to resign is both stupid and also bizarre. You either resign or you don't, how is that something that can get "rejected"? gently caress all of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So far, I've found that aside from a few Trumpers, Rural CT is about as conservative as liberal Texas. Maybe a bit right of Austin, but certainly about equal to the white liberal areas of Houston. I tried a bit of a troll on one conservative boomer, and instead he agreed we should legalize regulated sex work AND marijuana. It's like, none of my old tried and true triggers work anymore. :(

e: All that to say that left/right is relative and we desperately need more than two parties to capture the diversity of the US.