Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Open Source Idiom posted:

They wrote her out for a bit in the previous episode. I suspect she'll be back soon, once the status quo has been properly established and the plot becomes more manageable.

oh yeah i already forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I keep reading this as "Nazi".

Uh, I can't help you with that unless you come up with a better nick name.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Nah, i just it's kinda funny that "NuZari" is an anagram of "ur nazi".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well NOW I can't use it anymore!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Astra would presumably fill the role Mick sorta does as the immoral sort who prefers to cut through bullshit and get physical when needed and also has an idea of how the criminal mind works.

I think the big thing that Behrad is missing is an expertise or unique skill set like most of the rest of the cast has. As noted up thread Zari 2 has some good deception skills that rival John's but hers is more towards the posh and fancy set

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Astra also possesses the power of the molotov cocktail so she can definitely fill Mick's space when he exits.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I like Berhads actor, and I dig his "Danni Minogue to Zaris Kylie" mindset, though I kind of feel it should have come up before (but legends isn't known for consistency)

In timeline, Berhads been there several seasons longer then we've known him so that's a bit of dissonance for the audience

I miss Ray too but if I'm honest he'd been flanderised quite a bit by the end. At least he went out happy and wed!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I don’t think the size of the cast is the problem so much as it is knowing what to do with them. Gary and Mona were great as supporting characters but forcing them into leads was awful. That’s kind of what’s going on with Behrad.

They should take their cues from DS9 which had a great and expansive ensemble.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Slamhound posted:

I don’t think the size of the cast is the problem so much as it is knowing what to do with them. Gary and Mona were great as supporting characters but forcing them into leads was awful. That’s kind of what’s going on with Behrad.

They should take their cues from DS9 which had a great and expansive ensemble.

Yeah the thing about DS9 is that it knew you didn't have to put everyone in the spotlight every episode. The cast would rotate out, with the ones not in focus getting maybe one line in an episode or not showing up at all.

This show could've benefitted from splitting its cast more evenly this season, with some of them staying on Earth while the others somehow ended up on the alien planet with Sara and Gary. That way they could alternate episodes between the two groups, giving everyone more space to fill out their own niche on whatever team they ended up on.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah the thing about DS9 is that it knew you didn't have to put everyone in the spotlight every episode. The cast would rotate out, with the ones not in focus getting maybe one line in an episode or not showing up at all.

This show could've benefitted from splitting its cast more evenly this season, with some of them staying on Earth while the others somehow ended up on the alien planet with Sara and Gary. That way they could alternate episodes between the two groups, giving everyone more space to fill out their own niche on whatever team they ended up on.

DS9 had a lot more episodes to work with though. They could afford to have, say, O'Brien not in a few episodes so they could set him up for the episode that should have won him an Emmy as a dude who had an entire prison sentence stuffed into his head. Legends only has the 13 episodes per season, so not as easy to do.

Leverage had a really good take on it, where the team was split up and over two episodes you saw each side with some communication between them to show where each team was at.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ds9 has a way bigger cast than legends lol

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I dig Behrad just being baked all the time and doing stoner things in the midst of universe level threats, it fits this show perfectly. They kind of abandoned Nate being a smart history nerd a while ago, he needs someone to bro out with to work.

They're not really doing the Nate/Zari/Zari plot well enough for it to matter even though it's an interesting problem. Glad she got to bang out Constantine though, she seemed like she needed to unwind a little.

Cruz isn't doing much for me but she's somewhat central to the overarching "time aliens" plot.

All the lovely use of restaurant/line cook slang gave me a real chuckle though as someone who's been in restaurants over 10 years. 86 the hockey pucks on the fly!

Rhyno posted:

ReZari
2Zari2furious

Edit: haha love the Godzilla samples too

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 12, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Zari, but the font is curvy so it looks like "2ari."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

how long does this show take to get decent

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Google Butt posted:

Last few episodes of season 1 weren't bad but in all honesty if you're starting the show fresh just start at the beginning of Season 2. Season 2 was decent (and a huge step up from season 1). Season 3 was when it started becoming incredible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Google Butt posted:

Start at season 2

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

site posted:

Start at season 2

Nah, start at "Leviathan" and just let the confusion enhance the viewing experience. It's only three episodes to get to Season 2.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slamhound posted:

I don’t think the size of the cast is the problem so much as it is knowing what to do with them.
Well, yeah. When I say that the cast is too big, I mean it's too big for the way the show is structured. Soap operas often have huge casts, but they're usually not structured the way this show is, ie. a single team cooperatively working on a single goal together. There are multiple plots going on that intersect when they need to but don't get in each other's way. There's almost that setup with the Sara/Gary plot, but because it's completely disconnected from what everyone else is doing it feels inconsequential; like a distraction from the actual story we're trying to watch.

seaborgium posted:

DS9 had a lot more episodes to work with though.
The number of episodes is never the problem. It gets suggested all the time that if a show had more episodes the writers would somehow make better use of them, but if they're making bad use of the time they have then giving them more time won't fix that. They'll just make the same mistakes for longer.

There are currently 8-12 main characters (depending on who you count). Each of them could get an episode as the focus of the A plot and an episode as the focus of the B plot and play a major supporting role in the A and B plots of two other episodes and they're already significantly involved in four of the season's 13 episodes. Give them a minor role in however many other episodes make sense, as needed, and come up with stuff for them to be doing in the background or off-screen for the rest and you're good.

Trying to give everyone something significant to do in every episode feels forced and disrupts the flow of the episode. And it leads to stuff like Mick disappearing from the episode for no reason because there was no reason for him to be there and they just crowbarred him in early on and then forgot about him. It's not a tabletop roleplaying game where you want to make sure every player gets a chance to roll the dice at least once each session so they don't feel left out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

is it normal for me to hate all of the characters? i think finishing continuum and then watching this is a shock to the system

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

is it normal for me to hate all of the characters? i think finishing continuum and then watching this is a shock to the system

Continuun owns.

This show owns too, but only very intermittently until Season 3.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Continuun owns.

This show owns too, but only very intermittently until Season 3.

ill just skip to that I think

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think season 2 is worth a watch as well. This show had 2 major corrections that basically turned it around from awful to amazing.

1. Was removing some absolutely interminable characters from the show, which happened at the end of season 1 and 2. Was realising that the show was way better when they stopped trying to be a super serious sci-fi superhero show and leaned in hard into doing lighthearted batshit insane and wacky and absurd poo poo, which you started to see a glimpse of in season 2 but they really went balls to the wall from season 3 onwards.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The show really made the the turn starting with the moment in season 2 when Mick gets self aware reciting the intro ("Who writes this crap?"). Then they start to have fun with the episode titles and that's when the poo poo gets real. But seriously, season 2 has the CWVerse Legion of Doom, don't skip it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The moment Legends truly becomes Legends comes when Ray says the line “George Lucas has the Spear of Destiny!”

That is the event horizon from which there is no going back to whatever the gently caress they were trying to be in Season 1 and set us on the course for what we have today.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The moment Legends truly becomes Legends comes when Ray says the line “George Lucas has the Spear of Destiny!”

That is the event horizon from which there is no going back to whatever the gently caress they were trying to be in Season 1 and set us on the course for what we have today.

The episode you're talking about is definitely good, and there are a few others in Seasons 1 and 2. But I'd argue that, on the whole, there are probably only about seven or so episodes that stand up to the rest of the show.

(The moon landing episode is just stupid fun.)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Season 2 opened with Sarah Lance Time Lesbian or whatever this thread called her at the time, it didn’t take long at all for them to pivot from season 1.

Season 2 was very enjoyable and should not be skipped

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Season 2 opened with Sarah Lance Time Lesbian or whatever this thread called her at the time, it didn’t take long at all for them to pivot from season 1.

Season 2 was very enjoyable and should not be skipped

It was originally Time Lesbian, but it was then updated to Time Bisexual

The first ep of Season 2 is them beating up nazis because Ray was too pure to do a salute and Garber singing Eidelweiss. Then there were the zombies at the civil war and the plantation owners getting overrun while the team helps the slaves escape (into Union custody)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

It was originally Time Lesbian, but it was then updated to Time Bisexual

I've always just thought of her as a Time Fucker, because it's correct on multiple levels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I've always just thought of her as a Time Fucker, because it's correct on multiple levels.

This is factually perfect.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Behrad earned his place last season for me and I think his being off here was more a function of whoever wrote this episode then the actor.

Also I thought the commonly accepted name for the Zaris was Zari 1.0 and Zari 2.0?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Zar1 and 2ari.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Can't wait for Za-three.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the things that Behrad brings up in the episode sorta meshes with his general place in the show where he's effectively an extension of Zari and not his own character. And in a meta way, that's also true. His role is mostly chill dude that's bro's with Nate, but he doesn't exactly bring new skills to the table for the rest of the team other than being chill which is less a skill and more a personality.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Talk to your doctor to see if Nuzari is right for you

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I want them to pay off the Ava plot. I'll laugh so hard if the alien's original plan was to clone hundreds of Avas and now they've decided to clone hundreds of Sarahs.

Medullah posted:

Talk to your doctor to see if Nuzari is right for you

Still a ur nazi anagram. But lol.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

2zari2famous

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This already rules

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay yeah something’s up with Gideon

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:rip: DJ S'more Money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yes Tala Ashe gets to sing again