Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Those edited MTV shows, especially The State, are great in a way if you love "sound alike" music (which I do) because it's pretty funny to guess what song it is trying to be.
I'm thinking of one sketch in particular using a hilarious sound alike of Cannonball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

DreadUnknown posted:

Mr Show I think?
The State

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Had a random one earlier.

The movie "Blank Check"
Namely the idea that a mere million bucks would afford you a state of the art super-mansion.

I rewatched this recently and expected it to be bad, but holy poo poo it did not age well.

1) A female FBI agent goes on multiple dates with an 11-yr old in order to investigate his boss and some criminals who stole $1mil (except the boss doesn’t exist, it’s the 11-yr old all along who stole from the criminals). Even though she’s just leading him on, it’s still really weird the whole time. But at the end of the movie, they kiss anyways because, what the gently caress.

2) The 11-yr old hangs out with a creepy limo driver the entire time, who never questions why this kid has money and instead just goes around having fun with him the whole time.

The whole movie takes the kids movie trope of “what if a kid got everything they wanted” and applies the worst possible writing and adds in creepy relationships between adults and a literal child without ever questioning the implications.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

I rewatched this recently and expected it to be bad, but holy poo poo it did not age well.

1) A female FBI agent goes on multiple dates with an 11-yr old in order to investigate his boss and some criminals who stole $1mil (except the boss doesn’t exist, it’s the 11-yr old all along who stole from the criminals). Even though she’s just leading him on, it’s still really weird the whole time. But at the end of the movie, they kiss anyways because, what the gently caress.

2) The 11-yr old hangs out with a creepy limo driver the entire time, who never questions why this kid has money and instead just goes around having fun with him the whole time.

The whole movie takes the kids movie trope of “what if a kid got everything they wanted” and applies the worst possible writing and adds in creepy relationships between adults and a literal child without ever questioning the implications.

Yeah, it's weird as hell, especially the pedophilia love story that the movie treats like it's okay

Plus it was written by Blake Snyder of Save the Cat fame, so its indirectly responsible for a zillion writers copying Snyder's Beat Sheet Formula so hard they forget to tell a story worth telling

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nottherealaborn posted:

Came out the same year as Milk Money too.

the 80s/90s had a very strange obsession with young boys and sexy adult women in weird, pseudo-relationships, especially if the idea was something like "we can touch a boob for the first time". There's that famous ABC family show with the scene about a kid having a wet dream with the insane quote "chocolate cake, gameboy, or me?" from a grown woman wearing lingerie to a prepubescent boy.

Although it's not really like it's not a common subject still. Good Boys had the same kind of poo poo and came out in 2019.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pentyne posted:

the 80s/90s had a very strange obsession with young boys and sexy adult women in weird, pseudo-relationships, especially if the idea was something like "we can touch a boob for the first time". There's that famous ABC family show with the scene about a kid having a wet dream with the insane quote "chocolate cake, gameboy, or me?" from a grown woman wearing lingerie to a prepubescent boy.

Lauren Holly in Picket Fences (from David E. Kelley of Ally McBeal fame).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Another creepy trend I remember seeing way too often in 80-90s stuff, is the "younger brothers perving on their older sisters.". No specific examples are coming to mind right now, but I remember being super creeped out about it because I have a younger brother.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Yeah, it's weird as hell, especially the pedophilia love story that the movie treats like it's okay

Plus it was written by Blake Snyder of Save the Cat fame, so its indirectly responsible for a zillion writers copying Snyder's Beat Sheet Formula so hard they forget to tell a story worth telling

My favorite part about Save the Cat is that he had an inscrutable grudge against the movie Memento and whereas a more humble person might admit that Memento goes against their rules of storytelling but was still a well received movie financially and critically, he instead tries to argue that it was actually a flop of a movie that makes no sense. It's incredible.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Isn't that the scholar who penned 'Stop or My Mom Will Shoot?'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Isn't that the scholar who penned 'Stop or My Mom Will Shoot?'

Yep!

He sold a lot of scripts but that and Blank Check are the only two scripts he sold that were ever made into movies.

Ultimately he was a guy fortunate to be writing scripts during an era when movie studios would pay a premium to buy and hoard scripts.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Toshimo posted:

if you search Picket Fences on youtube (like I did since I never heard of this show until now), the suggestions seem to show that a LOT of people remember this scene specifically and not a whole lot else

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Srice posted:

My favorite part about Save the Cat is that he had an inscrutable grudge against the movie Memento and whereas a more humble person might admit that Memento goes against their rules of storytelling but was still a well received movie financially and critically, he instead tries to argue that it was actually a flop of a movie that makes no sense. It's incredible.

Right! I'd forgotten how much time he spent trying to dunk on Memento, and its artsy-fartsy writer/director, Christopher Nolan, who would got lucky just that once with his artsy-fartsy movie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sarcopenia posted:

Another creepy trend I remember seeing way too often in 80-90s stuff, is the "younger brothers perving on their older sisters.". No specific examples are coming to mind right now, but I remember being super creeped out about it because I have a younger brother.

I seem to remember it was Night of the Demons or one of its ilk where the female protagonist has a lengthy changing scene that ends with her pre-pubescent brother bursting out of her closet and shouting “Bodacious boobs, sis!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Phylodox posted:

Bodacious boobs, sis!
Lmao, thread tittle please

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
On one hand, royalty-free Daria means no body movin'. But on the other, it means no butterfly by crazy town, may I never hear that loving song again.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Volcott posted:

On one hand, royalty-free Daria means no body movin'. But on the other, it means no butterfly by crazy town, may I never hear that loving song again.

in high school i dated a guy who tried his damndest to make that our song :allears:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Volcott posted:

the worst #1 hit ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was not familiar with that one so I looked it up and no I did not last long

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
That song hit at just the right time in my formative years and I'll always have a nostalgic soft spot for it. So I guess maybe it's I that did not age well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Feel free to like the songs you want. Do not be bullied by others who don’t like the things you do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

oldpainless posted:

Feel free to like the songs you want. Do not be bullied by others who don’t like the things you do.

Except Baby Shark. That means you're a monster.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Toshimo posted:

What if baby shark sang butterfly? What then?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Doot my lady
Doot doot my lady
You're my baby shark
Sugar baby

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CPColin posted:

Doot my lady
Doot doot my lady
You're my baby shark
Sugar baby

Jesus Christ :lmao:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

WE BUILT THIS CITY
WE BUILT THIS CITY
ON ROCK AND ROLL

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

CPColin posted:

Doot my lady
Doot doot my lady
You're my baby shark
Sugar baby

:coolfish:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CPColin posted:

Doot my lady
Doot doot my lady
You're my baby shark
Sugar baby

Well, someone has to sing it now.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

How about instead I sing gently caress You.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sweet geek swag posted:

How about instead I sing gently caress You.

If you have Cee Lo's pipes, you run with that poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Speaking of Ally McBeal wtf was up with that show in general? That whole late 90s FOX "dramedy" era seems to be completely lost to time, along with Party of Five.

I remember as a kid it had the weirdest sexual plotlines, like one where the wacky "foreign" guy from Ghostbusters 2 asked another dude to show him a place in the pit of a woman's knee that you could massage and it was basically like fingering them. I distinctly remember scenes where both of these 40-somethings basically finger-blasted their 20-something female colleagues in public at work meetings. Am I the only one who remembers how loving weird this was?

And of course it was the daycare gig for Robert Downey Jr. at his nadir.

But it all seems to have vanished from pop culture memory.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

the worst #1 hit ever.

i remember there was this weird thing with it where for a hot minute it was played everywhere, all the time, to a degree that was unusual even for the era, until it got dumpstered

even the band itself at the time was saying that getting overplayed to that degree was going to ruin them and welp

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hard counter posted:

i remember there was this weird thing with it where for a hot minute it was played everywhere, all the time, to a degree that was unusual even for the era, until it got dumpstered

even the band itself at the time was saying that getting overplayed to that degree was going to ruin them and welp

They were nu-metal, so it was the worst kind of one hit to have: one completely unlike the rest of their music. They might've had a chance if they leaned into it, they clearly struck some kind of gold, but even if they wanted to they couldn't; the best part is that Red Hot Chilli Peppers sample.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mind the walrus posted:

Speaking of Ally McBeal wtf was up with that show in general? That whole late 90s FOX "dramedy" era seems to be completely lost to time, along with Party of Five.

I remember as a kid it had the weirdest sexual plotlines, like one where the wacky "foreign" guy from Ghostbusters 2 asked another dude to show him a place in the pit of a woman's knee that you could massage and it was basically like fingering them. I distinctly remember scenes where both of these 40-somethings basically finger-blasted their 20-something female colleagues in public at work meetings. Am I the only one who remembers how loving weird this was?

I remember that character also had a thing for "wattles" under a woman's neck which lead to him being a massive creep to women.

In a crossover with some other serious law show he actively sexually harassed one of their staff in front of an entire room of people and it was treated as wacky.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

I used to sing that to calm down my younger relatives and then it got massive so now I don't even have to sing, i can just pull up the video on youtube and be done with it. It getting popular made my life so much easier.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

christmas boots posted:

WE BUILT THIS CITY
WE BUILT THIS CITY
ON ROCK AND ROLL

That song isn't nearly as bad as people act like it is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vandar posted:

That song isn't nearly as bad as people act like it is.
I think it's because its power relies on all the studio processing, thus any live version sounds the alarm "stop this before it gets worse" to everyone who knows what's coming. It's the same reason "Memories" from CATS is a great song, but start in on those notes and everyone within earshot is gonna tell you to stfu because you need a hell of a voice and to set the stage to pull that off.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember that character also had a thing for "wattles" under a woman's neck which lead to him being a massive creep to women.

In a crossover with some other serious law show he actively sexually harassed one of their staff in front of an entire room of people and it was treated as wacky.

Oh loving lord the wattle thing. God what was it with that show? The whole thing seems like some horny late-Boomer/Gen-X fever dream. Much like the dot com era in general, come to think on it.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 06:18 on May 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every decade has its own messed up sexual politics but a lot about the 90s seems particularly skeevy, at least in the 70s and 80s they were honest about it? Especially iffy looking back at how much media of the time was basically defined by sexual predators and abusers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Does anyone have that tweet or was it a tiktok where some guy rewatches a teen movie from 2004 and is all :kstare: at how skeevy it actually was?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mind the walrus posted:

Does anyone have that tweet or was it a tiktok where some guy rewatches a teen movie from 2004 and is all :kstare: at how skeevy it actually was?

It’s probably :nws:

https://www.twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

90s entertainment pretended racism and sexism were over while also revelling in awful poo poo and broke a lot of brains.