Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Smart move IMO, they probably just came to a realization that breaking Windows 10 is a full time job already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How would I go about figuring out what makes my friend's laptop wake up almost every day in the middle of the night? We don't think it's Windows Update, because it happens so frequently.

We tried these commands:
powercfg /requests
powercfg /lastwake
powercfg /sleepstudy
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics
powercfg /systempowerreport

They didn't tell us anything at all about those wakes. Event viewer doesn't show much useful either...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

"Wake source: S4 doze to hibernate" means that windows is trying to hibernate (write ram memory to the drive, then fully turn off the machine). To do that it has to wake the laptop up briefly and then shut down. If that's the source every time, it's perfectly normal.

What is actually happening, from the person's perspective? Does the laptop wake up and then stay turned on? Or is this just something they noticed once? If the laptop fails to hibernate then you may want to do driver & bios updates to see if you can correct that. Otherwise you can turn off hibernation while the PC is plugged in, in Advanced Power Settings. (Presuming the laptop is left plugged in overnight.)

Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings ->
Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings ->
Sleep -> Hibernate after -> Plugged in: 0 minutes

Or if this isn't actually waking your friend up in the middle of the night and this is just investigating a mystery, that's why it happens and it's fine.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

"Wake source: S4 doze to hibernate" means that windows is trying to hibernate (write ram memory to the drive, then fully turn off the machine). To do that it has to wake the laptop up briefly and then shut down. If that's the source every time, it's perfectly normal.

What is actually happening, from the person's perspective? Does the laptop wake up and then stay turned on? Or is this just something they noticed once? If the laptop fails to hibernate then you may want to do driver & bios updates to see if you can correct that. Otherwise you can turn off hibernation while the PC is plugged in, in Advanced Power Settings. (Presuming the laptop is left plugged in overnight.)

Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Additional power settings ->
Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings ->
Sleep -> Hibernate after -> Plugged in: 0 minutes

Or if this isn't actually waking your friend up in the middle of the night and this is just investigating a mystery, that's why it happens and it's fine.
It turns on and stays on until she notices it.
I told her to turn off automatic hibernate in sleep, hopefully this stops that behavior.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

It used to be possible to install free Store apps without login/registration. I now needed to install a Linux distro for the subsystem stuff and it asks for the login and won't take no for an answer. At one point you could just close the dialog and it would install the app anyway, but now it does not. Is there a workaround for this? I wasn't able to find anything.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mobby_6kl posted:

It used to be possible to install free Store apps without login/registration. I now needed to install a Linux distro for the subsystem stuff and it asks for the login and won't take no for an answer. At one point you could just close the dialog and it would install the app anyway, but now it does not. Is there a workaround for this? I wasn't able to find anything.

Yeah I saw that, too. It is a recent change and I hate it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

mobby_6kl posted:

More infuriating is that the store insists that you login with a personal “Microsoft Account” for some apps when I’m already logged in with my O365 Azure AD account. For me the most infuriating thing about Win10 so far (or rather Microsoft’s backend) is that you have to have a separate MSA even if you already have an AAD account. It can’t be that hard to just make an AAD also be an MSA, but i can’t count the number of times I’ve tried to login with my AAD account and it tells me “that Microsoft account doesn’t exist.” :argh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

beuges posted:

More infuriating is that the store insists that you login with a personal “Microsoft Account” for some apps when I’m already logged in with my O365 Azure AD account. For me the most infuriating thing about Win10 so far (or rather Microsoft’s backend) is that you have to have a separate MSA even if you already have an AAD account. It can’t be that hard to just make an AAD also be an MSA, but i can’t count the number of times I’ve tried to login with my AAD account and it tells me “that Microsoft account doesn’t exist.” :argh:

I should check to see if I have Microsoft account active on my secondary desktop (my old primary desktop), and if so, which one it is. I have like 3 or 4 Microsoft accounts, so should pin that down.

My main desktop does not have one attached to it, but I am not currently using Bitlocker or anything from the Windows Store so it is fairly moot.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Sininu posted:

How would I go about figuring out what makes my friend's laptop wake up almost every day in the middle of the night? We don't think it's Windows Update, because it happens so frequently.

We tried these commands:
powercfg /requests
powercfg /lastwake
powercfg /sleepstudy
powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics
powercfg /systempowerreport

They didn't tell us anything at all about those wakes. Event viewer doesn't show much useful either...

Check the NIC settings and make sure any magic packet stuff is enabled - without it enabled any network activity wakes my desktop up, and it was off by default.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Sininu posted:

When your PC wakes up, check to see if the times when it does matches the file/date times of the files found in "C:\Windows\Logs\waasmedic\" and also check "C:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs\" too.

waasmedic = WaasMedic.exe = Windows Update Medic Service
USOShared = mousocoreworker.exe / usocoreworker.exe = USO Core Worker Process

If they match you'll know these are the cause at least. I had a similar "wake" problem related to these.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

beuges posted:

I fonlt use O365 anything on my personal machine or install anything from the store on the work laptop so I never ran into this.

But at least I found you can just manually "sideload" packages just by downloading and running them like with APKs on Android.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
My mic is only coming through the left speaker. It happens in Voice Recorder and any other software I use. I tried it with two different mics that were both the same model and came in the same package (very cheap) and the problem's exactly the same. Also tried it on the front and back ports. But in the device properties all the options in the default format dropdown are 2 channel. I think these mics might have worked normally before but I'm not sure. Any idea what could be causing this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NotNut posted:

My mic is only coming through the left speaker. It happens in Voice Recorder and any other software I use. I tried it with two different mics that were both the same model and came in the same package (very cheap) and the problem's exactly the same. Also tried it on the front and back ports. But in the device properties all the options in the default format dropdown are 2 channel. I think these mics might have worked normally before but I'm not sure. Any idea what could be causing this?

Your microphone is mono and being incorrectly recorded as a stereo mic, but since it only has two conductors in the cable it only makes audio on the left side. Your recording software should have an option to switch to mono for the microphone input.

For example the same issue in OBS: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/mic-audio-only-in-left-ear.79662/
Nvidia shadowplay: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/165401/mono-microphone-only-comes-through-the-left-channel-shadowplay-/

There's plenty of others but it's very common.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Years ago when MS first asked me to put my account on windows, I obliged, and it promptly wiped my start menu to a blank slate because hey its a new account and you don't need any of the dozens of shortcuts you painstakingly assembled there anyway

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hey guys :)

Five questions from you genius buggers.

1 - Am I better off using 'normal' downloaded. exe of programs like spotify, or actually the spotify app from the windows store. Is one more heavy and slow than the other? Or, are they the same.

2 - I see no way at all to increase the bass when using earphones, and music is a bit tinny. All sound drivers are up to date, but I don't see an option anywhere in properties for enhanced bass or whatever.

3 - I have a lightweight setup in terms of startup and background things. I still have about 90 background processes and an additinoal 90 windows processes. Is this normal? Seems a lot, but I don't know poo poo.

4 - I have set the laptop to hibernate about 30 minutes after sleeping to preserve battery overnight. However, is it better to turn off the laptop completely? Or, is this one of those things that 'it takes more effort and wear to turn off and on completely than a standby / hibernation.

5 - Is it generally better to have a partition for the OS on a 512GB SSD? Or just to have everything dumped on one drive. Is there any difference to longterm stability or performance?

Thank you! :)

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 12, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

henpod posted:

2 - I see no way at all to increase the bass when using earphones, and music is a bit tinny. All sound drivers are up to date, but I don't see an option anywhere in properties for enhanced bass or whatever.
Do you have a "realtek control panel" in your system tray, or similar (or anything by realtek)? If so that's where to look. But the cheapest version of the realtek audio chip doesn't have EQ, my cheapo craptop has nothing but volume & balance.

EQing on your audio player is way better than on the system level, if possible.

henpod posted:

3 - I have a lightweight setup in terms of startup and background things. I still have about 90 background processes and an additinoal 90 windows processes. Is this normal? Seems a lot, but I don't know poo poo.

For the most part it does not matter that your computer has a whole bunch of background processes. 99% of them sit static and consume functionally no resources.

90 windows processes is totally normal for win10.

90 background processes, is that right after startup before you've opened anything? And is your PC an OEM desktopp or laptop from a major brand (dell, lenovo, etc)? Because they frequently come with a ton of crapware set to always run at startup. TBQH most of that stuff doesn't really impact performance, but it does make the pc take a while to boot as all that stuff starts running. If you have an OEM crapware problem, go through the add/remove programs list and google each one. Some of them are important -- driver-like stuff to make extra keyboard functions work etc.

If that's with stuff like web browsers open, it's very normal. Chrome and firefox have become highly multi-process and generate a whole bunch of background processes. (And anything that uses chromium internally, for example steam, does the same. Steam opens 7 "webhelpers" for me.)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Klyith posted:

Do you have a "realtek control panel" in your system tray, or similar (or anything by realtek)? If so that's where to look. But the cheapest version of the realtek audio chip doesn't have EQ, my cheapo craptop has nothing but volume & balance.

EQing on your audio player is way better than on the system level, if possible.

For the most part it does not matter that your computer has a whole bunch of background processes. 99% of them sit static and consume functionally no resources.

90 windows processes is totally normal for win10.

90 background processes, is that right after startup before you've opened anything? And is your PC an OEM desktopp or laptop from a major brand (dell, lenovo, etc)? Because they frequently come with a ton of crapware set to always run at startup. TBQH most of that stuff doesn't really impact performance, but it does make the pc take a while to boot as all that stuff starts running. If you have an OEM crapware problem, go through the add/remove programs list and google each one. Some of them are important -- driver-like stuff to make extra keyboard functions work etc.

If that's with stuff like web browsers open, it's very normal. Chrome and firefox have become highly multi-process and generate a whole bunch of background processes. (And anything that uses chromium internally, for example steam, does the same. Steam opens 7 "webhelpers" for me.)

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have Realtek Audio Console which is pointless as it only has options for volume and Right/Left speakers. No actual audio customization.

In terms of the background processes, I did a clean install of Windows to get rid of any bloatware on my Matebook X pro, and have manually uninstalled any bollocks, removed from startup and so on. So, I chopped things down a lot, but there are still about 90, so I guess that must be normal.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

henpod posted:

1 - Am I better off using 'normal' downloaded. exe of programs like spotify, or actually the spotify app from the windows store. Is one more heavy and slow than the other? Or, are they the same.

4 - I have set the laptop to hibernate about 30 minutes after sleeping to preserve battery overnight. However, is it better to turn off the laptop completely? Or, is this one of those things that 'it takes more effort and wear to turn off and on completely than a standby / hibernation.

5 - Is it generally better to have a partition for the OS on a 512GB SSD? Or just to have everything dumped on one drive. Is there any difference to longterm stability or performance?

1 - It depends on the program. Some stuff does actually work better as the app (Netflix for example) than an installed program. If someone has specific use with Spotify they can offer actual experience, but odds are the best bet is to just install both and see.

2 - Try this: Right click on the speaker icon in the System Tray - Open Sound Settings - Right side click on Sound Control Panel - double-click your headset - Go to the Enhancements tab - If Loudness Equalization is present check it. It has helped in every set of headphones I've had to give a bit more oomph without distorting.

3 - As mentioned, that is pretty normal. On my desktop I'm at 58 Background processes and 87 Windows processes. Stuff like Razer/Logitech/Corsair will bloat Background a bit, but also as mentioned, functionally most of them use very little to no CPU and minimal to no memory.

4 - It might effect the battery a bit, as it's a (slight) draw upon startup each time, but not much at all. The main thing is you don't want to let the battery get below 40% too often. Keeping it on a charger if possible shouldn't hurt it at all, as every modern battery has a chip that will switch to a trickle charge once it is full. Also most laptops will function better on wall power, as it gets the full amount of juice it wants rather than swapping to a low power mode while on battery.

5 - Everything on one drive. You probably wouldn't have much of a performance hit if you partitioned it, nor really a read/write hit, but it won't gain you anything either. The main thing you would want to watch out for with SSD/nVME is to keep them below about 80% capacity. Above that you will get a performance hit. If it is to keep things organized, make a new folder and put stuff there. I make a Games and Accessories folder for, well those things.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The biggest argument for a system partition is easy reinstalls of the OS, but honestly like...it's a lot easier to flatten and reinstall with the newer versions of windows than it used to be.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

henpod posted:

Here's exactly what I've done for my USB headset and it might work for you:

Control Panel (the old one, it's under "Windows System" in the Start Menu) -> Sound -> Find device under Playback, click Properties -> Effects tab -> check Equalizer, select it and click Settings -> adjust as needed

Raise the lower frequencies a bit (but don't go overboard otherwise you'll destroy the sound balance). I like to do mine on a curve, and lower the mids ever so slightly. At these settings if I need more bass reaching my ears, I just increase the volume.

I'm not using onboard sound at the moment, but here's my Realtek Control Panel. Where to get to the equalizer is circled:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Koskun posted:

You probably wouldn't have much of a performance hit if you partitioned it, nor really a read/write hit, but it won't gain you anything either. The main thing you would want to watch out for with SSD/nVME is to keep them below about 80% capacity. Above that you will get a performance hit.

There's zero performance cost to partitioning on a SSD, because for SSDs there's no relationship between partition layout and actual physical structure like on a HDD.

The 80% full thing is outdated advice for modern SSDs, particularly if you have a nice big 1TB one. It is true that you don't want to fill SSDs all the way up, and a particular type to drive tech (QLC) gets slower at above like 85-90% full.

Falcon2001 posted:

The biggest argument for a system partition is easy reinstalls of the OS, but honestly like...it's a lot easier to flatten and reinstall with the newer versions of windows than it used to be.

Yeah the "in-place upgrade" version of reinstall is as good as format and reinstall in 99% of ordinary problems with the OS being flaky or busted. If I had a malware infestation I'd still go for a full format, but I also would be thinking hard about formatting every other drive as well.

A separate partition makes bitlocker encryption of your personal data very easy and secure, without having to lock down the entire system. So that's one reason to maybe do it.

I still like partitions for OS vs data, but only because I'm used to having my files on "Data (D:)". Even for me it's pretty nonfunctional.

Ofecks posted:

Here's exactly what I've done for my USB headset and it might work for you:

Both of those are specific to your audio hardware / drivers. (On the first one, where it says "CMedia effect: equalizer", cmedia is another maker of sound chips.)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

Both of those are specific to your audio hardware / drivers. (On the first one, where it says "CMedia effect: equalizer", cmedia is another maker of sound chips.)

Huh. I assumed, that since it's a USB device, that it just uses whatever stock Windows USB drivers and not something audio-specific like what's on my motherboard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have a positively ancient 2013 board with a functionally identical control panel to this, but the skinning is pretty different. Realtek is eternal.

(Please stay alive old machine, I can't afford a new one right now.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ofecks posted:

Huh. I assumed, that since it's a USB device, that it just uses whatever stock Windows USB drivers and not something audio-specific like what's on my motherboard.

Not sure how these works. Cmedia might be the chip that's in the headset doing USB audio. But also I think some of these EQs are on active at the system level, regardless of which hardware the driver came with.

You can add a software equalizer into windows audio chain. So that's another way to go, possibly with an easier-to-use frontend.

Still, if the software you use to play stuff (spotify, normal music player, MPC-HC, whatever) has built-in EQ I think that's the easiest way to go.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I have a positively ancient 2013 board with a functionally identical control panel to this, but the skinning is pretty different. Realtek is eternal.

(Please stay alive old machine, I can't afford a new one right now.)

My board is from late 2016 or early 2017 (Asus Prime Z270-M) so I'm not that surprised to hear that interface had been around a few years at that point. Hope your PC keeps on truckin'. When I built my current rig in 2017 it replaced a system from 2009 that was struggling with modern internet stuff like HTML5 Youtube and Twitch.

Thanks for the info about a software EQ Klyith, I'll keep that in mind for the future. In regards to in-app EQs, in my experience with crusty old WMP, the system-level EQs at the same settings sound better than the built-in. But that's probably just WMP being poo poo. One benefit of using system-level EQ is that stuff that doesn't normally have an EQ (Youtube, Netflix, games, Bandcamp player, etc.) will sound better once you get it to where you like.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

henpod posted:

Store Spotify has a live tile if you care, .exe Spotify does not.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Statutory Ape posted:

Years ago when MS first asked me to put my account on windows, I obliged, and it promptly wiped my start menu to a blank slate because hey its a new account and you don't need any of the dozens of shortcuts you painstakingly assembled there anyway

Neither Visual Studio nor Office 365 properly sync preferences to your MS account despite claiming to do so.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Koskun posted:

1 - It depends on the program. Some stuff does actually work better as the app (Netflix for example) than an installed program. If someone has specific use with Spotify they can offer actual experience, but odds are the best bet is to just install both and see.

2 - Try this: Right click on the speaker icon in the System Tray - Open Sound Settings - Right side click on Sound Control Panel - double-click your headset - Go to the Enhancements tab - If Loudness Equalization is present check it. It has helped in every set of headphones I've had to give a bit more oomph without distorting.

3 - As mentioned, that is pretty normal. On my desktop I'm at 58 Background processes and 87 Windows processes. Stuff like Razer/Logitech/Corsair will bloat Background a bit, but also as mentioned, functionally most of them use very little to no CPU and minimal to no memory.

4 - It might effect the battery a bit, as it's a (slight) draw upon startup each time, but not much at all. The main thing is you don't want to let the battery get below 40% too often. Keeping it on a charger if possible shouldn't hurt it at all, as every modern battery has a chip that will switch to a trickle charge once it is full. Also most laptops will function better on wall power, as it gets the full amount of juice it wants rather than swapping to a low power mode while on battery.

5 - Everything on one drive. You probably wouldn't have much of a performance hit if you partitioned it, nor really a read/write hit, but it won't gain you anything either. The main thing you would want to watch out for with SSD/nVME is to keep them below about 80% capacity. Above that you will get a performance hit. If it is to keep things organized, make a new folder and put stuff there. I make a Games and Accessories folder for, well those things.

Thanks for the effort reply :)

2 - Nope, even when I plug in my earphones, it stays as 'speakers'. There are no options for anything other than 'windows sonic for headphones' which doesn't seem to do much. I guess I will look for a third-party EQ somewhere.

4 - Yeah, this laptop has a few protection options, so that when it's plugged in, it'll not go above 70%, and not below 40%. I don't know if it bypasses the battery completely at 70% but it's a pretty good idea. Since I have it plugged in most of the time I guess this will preserve health well enough.

Klyith posted:

You can add a software equalizer into windows audio chain. So that's another way to go, possibly with an easier-to-use frontend.

This worked! Things in my earphones are sounding fuller now and I can tweak poo poo. :) Thank you.

henpod fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 13, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anyone know why Windows would mysteriously just STOP doing normal screensaver/monitor off/sleep behaviours in the past week? No new updates, nothing on powercfg /request, just.... it stopped, and I really can't be arsed to reinstall Windows again so soon to fix this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Have you tried to reboot? 😂

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That happened to me recently, and it turned out to be a gamepad I had just gotten. Even with the actual pad fully powered off, just its wireless dongle being plugged in kept the screen awake forever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

That happened to me recently, and it turned out to be a gamepad I had just gotten. Even with the actual pad fully powered off, just its wireless dongle being plugged in kept the screen awake forever.

God damnit, that was probably it. I just started playing R-Type Final 2 right around that time. I'll know for sure when I see it power off later, but god damnit, what makes it even more aggravating is that I *know* this, but keep forgetting that it is a problem.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I forget it, but there is a powercfg command to see if any process is requesting the machine to stay awake. Did that and found out an app was still listening to the mic and that was stopping it

EDIT: and I missed that someone already posted about that

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God damnit, that was probably it. I just started playing R-Type Final 2 right around that time. I'll know for sure when I see it power off later, but god damnit, what makes it even more aggravating is that I *know* this, but keep forgetting that it is a problem.

This type of stuff is why I started leaving myself notes in notepad documents recently. "WHAT TO DO WHEN THE TRACKPOINT SOFTWARE STOPS GIVING THE SENSITIVITY OPTION.txt"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually going to have to set this as like, my wallpaper or something. I'm sale-watching for one of the 48" CX/C1s to use as a monitor, and I CANNOT have this poo poo burning-in on OLEDs for the stupidest reasons.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm actually going to have to set this as like, my wallpaper or something. I'm sale-watching for one of the 48" CX/C1s to use as a monitor, and I CANNOT have this poo poo burning-in on OLEDs for the stupidest reasons.

I love my OLED TV but I spend enough time doing work that doesn't involve my screen changing that I would be *super* worried about it as a monitor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mega stupid question. How do you prevent all your windows from being moved around when you turn one monitor off with a multi-monitor setup? I tend to turn mine off at night, and when I turn stuff on in the morning, all the windows get shunted to whichever one I turn on first.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Mega stupid question. How do you prevent all your windows from being moved around when you turn one monitor off with a multi-monitor setup? I tend to turn mine off at night, and when I turn stuff on in the morning, all the windows get shunted to whichever one I turn on first.

try and see if your monitor has a persistence mode where it keeps the display active when off. Other than that its near impossible to fix.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i think they're fixing that soon

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/28/22407995/microsoft-windows-apps-rearranging-sleep-resume-fix-directx-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

You can trim steam down a bit (can't update or use big mode) by launching it with -no-browser. I use:
code:
-no-browser +open steam://open/minigameslist
in a "steam no crap" shortcut.

This launches Steam without any browser functionality, and it disables a lot of functions, like updating and chat and whatnot.