Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Do you have any CAD software files, or just the STL?

Unfortunately just the STL file :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You'll probably need to use Blender to split the bottom and top and scale the bottom, then combine them again.

You may be able to do this in Windows 3D Builder, but I'm not sure how precise its scaling is. It'll be hard to get center points because an STL file doesn't have arcs, just interpolated polygons.

I would probably ping the creator and see if they can even give you a STEP file or something, they're much easier to work with.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

Hey CAD people, help me out here.

I have this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4345459) STL file that I need to make bigger as this shroud is made for a smaller fan.

I need to enlarge just the base of it so that the holes are roughly 3" apart from each other all the way around and not change the dimension of the mount on it.

What would be my best way to accomplish this?

Have a look at this and see if it'll do the trick. I can make adjustments pretty quickly if something doesn't seem quite right. It's kind of a kludge, but it's a kludge that should print just fine. :)

https://www.farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl.stl

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Have a look at this and see if it'll do the trick. I can make adjustments pretty quickly if something doesn't seem quite right. It's kind of a kludge, but it's a kludge that should print just fine. :)

https://www.farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl.stl

Awesome! I'll check it out after work today. I don't need it perfect, just big enough to cover the vent fan and still be able to screw in the 3M filter to it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The much smarter version of me just realized exactly what you were doing this for. I'm running a short piece of the mounting plate right now to check the hole spacing against the E10 itself. Should have a yea/nay for you in about 20 minutes.

e: Yeah, don't bother printing that one yet, sorry. I did a thing wrong. Fixed version to follow shortly.

e again: Those drat fan screws are 2 13/16 inches apart. This one ought to fit right. https://farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl_fixed.stl

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 10, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

The much smarter version of me just realized exactly what you were doing this for. I'm running a short piece of the mounting plate right now to check the hole spacing against the E10 itself. Should have a yea/nay for you in about 20 minutes.

e: Yeah, don't bother printing that one yet, sorry. I did a thing wrong. Fixed version to follow shortly.

e again: Those drat fan screws are 2 13/16 inches apart. This one ought to fit right. https://farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl_fixed.stl

You rock!

Printing it out now!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Happy to be able to help! Worst case, you might have to hog the screw holes out just a bit, but I think it'll be OK.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.
I don't know if it's already been posted and I missed it, but a year of the Solidworks Student edition can be had here for like $20 or something. Catch is you have to join Titans of CNC Academy which is like 3 button clicks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat that sucks. I'm gonna keep sharing the EAA one because Titan can suck the poo poo directly out of my rear end in a top hat.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Fit perfect!

Now to sell if the filters actually work to suppress/filter out the smell. Thanks again!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

drat that sucks. I'm gonna keep sharing the EAA one because Titan can suck the poo poo directly out of my rear end in a top hat.

:same: gently caress Titans of CNC Academy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

:same: gently caress Titans of CNC Academy.

What is so lovely about it? I'm not familiar with Titan other than seeing him on some MSC catalog.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Among his list of lovely things, my favorite is where he moved his shop (IIRC) out of California to Texas to "escape the lockdown." Which is CHUDspeak for sacrificing human life in a power dynamic he controls to make more money.

Real charmer.

https://youtu.be/hiKuxfcSrEU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yooper posted:

What is so lovely about it? I'm not familiar with Titan other than seeing him on some MSC catalog.

He's the rear end in a top hat that tells people to run CNC machine tools far faster than they should be run and dramatically decreasing the lifespan of any given tool he makes "recommendations" on (and also dramatically increasing the risks of injury if a failure occurs and tool/stock fly out of a given fixture).

But of course, he doesn't give a gently caress about tool lifespan, because he gets free tools for his endorsement of said tool.

Also he's a COVID-denier rear end in a top hat.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sagebrush posted:

4. Other CAD [extremely wip]
Architectural CAD: Like mechanical cad but, like, bigger. Represented by venerable old AutoCAD, among others. Can you tell this is not my area?

There's even bigger stuff!

I use AutoCAD Map and Civil 3D for land use for surveying and engineering. I also use a lot of GIS, but sometimes CAD is better, and it helps to use both (importing/exporting) to support each other.

Here's an example. This is called an "Alignment Sheet." It's a specialized strip-map of a section of a pipeline. This is about one mile of the line, showing what it crosses, the elevation profile, etc:

That sheet is one of dozens for that project. They were created using survey and topo data collected and queried through a database to drive CAD.

I've used GIS for almost 20 years, and AutoCAD for over 15. I don't know a thing about 3D printing, sorry.

Getoutnow
Aug 12, 2007
Seriously.

He's the rear end in a top hat that tells people to run CNC machine tools far faster than they should be run and dramatically decreasing the lifespan of any given tool he makes "recommendations" on (and also dramatically increasing the risks of injury if a failure occurs and tool/stock fly out of a given fixture).

But of course, he doesn't give a gently caress about tool lifespan, because he gets free tools for his endorsement of said tool.

Also he's a COVID-denier rear end in a top hat.

Woah poo poo. I had no idea!
If it helps at all, I found no prompt anywhere to check that I was a member of Titans.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Are there any recommendations for good Solidworks lessons/courses? I've been using it (and Inventor, plus a few others) for something like 15 years, but mostly as a machinist that occasionally needs to design and make jigs/fixtures/small projects.

I'm looking to improve my workflow, especially with assemblies. A few people have mentioned that the sign of a good designer is being able to change features early in the design tree and not have everything break down the line. I definitely need improvement in that area.

I'm willing to start from the beginning if there is a well-regarded series of courses. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can get my work to pay for it, so cheap isn't a requirement (but would be nice).

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This is a bit of an advanced series but even after ten years of daily use I learned quite a bit.

The master modeling stuff around video 17-18 was what I found the most interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8KljvRjqworyIQsSoYrII5baNwmKS5KZ

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Are there any recommendations for good Solidworks lessons/courses? I've been using it (and Inventor, plus a few others) for something like 15 years, but mostly as a machinist that occasionally needs to design and make jigs/fixtures/small projects.

I'm looking to improve my workflow, especially with assemblies. A few people have mentioned that the sign of a good designer is being able to change features early in the design tree and not have everything break down the line. I definitely need improvement in that area.

I'm willing to start from the beginning if there is a well-regarded series of courses. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can get my work to pay for it, so cheap isn't a requirement (but would be nice).

This course is a pretty good series.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/solidworks-2020-essential-training

Waaaaaaaaaay back around Solidworks 2006 I used the then-current version of this book to learn the ins-and-outs of Solidworks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1630574007

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 18, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What's the best interchange format for 3d files that have surface, mesh, and solid geometry all together? .step?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Whatever the kernel format is under Solidworks?

Parasolid? It's one of the Save-As options people used to use when sharing models from current Solidworks with older versions of Solidworks.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I'm studying for my first solidworks accreditation, specifically CSWA - Mechanical Design; seems extremely easy, but I know it's more about doing it the 'right' way than completing the test tasks but using whatever wack-rear end bad habits i've picked up over the years.
Some general questions for people who've done this before- how many certs do you have? how long did the overall process take you, and how much did it cost all in? how much of an aid has it been professionally (or how much has lacking them hurt you)?
Also, any resources/courses you can recommend here would be handy. I saw the Indeed tutorials posted above; plus there's SW's own tutorials, and I've got a copy of Paul Tran's SW2016 Advanced Techniques textbook, so I have plenty, but if you have a favourite, lemme hear it.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 19, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
CSWA is basically "babby's first certification" in terms of Solidworks certifications for each section of Solidworks.

The CSWP is where things start getting serious, but they still have generous time limits.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to take my remaining certifications so I can get my CSWE.

As far as companies hiring people go, having these certificates just tells them "yup, this person knows how to use the software at X level". If you don't have a mechanical design degree to go with it (or however many years in a design position in a technical industry), though, it's just a pissing contest with other SW users. Kind of like getting certifications for each Microsoft Office program.

I don't remember the current stats, but having a CSWP puts you well above CSWA holders, and last I checked there were only about 5,304 CSWE people in the world.

I'm sure that number has gone up after SW made such a big deal about it at the last 3DEXPERIENCE World, and then gave everybody that attended free attempts to test up to CSWE until the end of July.

Side note, cheapest way to get vouchers is to sign up for 3DEXPERIENCE World events each year and pay for VIP access.

Edit: Figured out how to search certification levels.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 19, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I'm studying for my first solidworks accreditation, specifically CSWA - Mechanical Design; seems extremely easy, but I know it's more about doing it the 'right' way than completing the test tasks but using whatever wack-rear end bad habits i've picked up over the years.
Some general questions for people who've done this before- how many certs do you have? how long did the overall process take you, and how much did it cost all in? how much of an aid has it been professionally (or how much has lacking them hurt you)?
Also, any resources/courses you can recommend here would be handy. I saw the Indeed tutorials posted above; plus there's SW's own tutorials, and I've got a copy of Paul Tran's SW2016 Advanced Techniques textbook, so I have plenty, but if you have a favourite, lemme hear it.

I've got 4 certs, most of them are easy, but in my quest so far, the Mold Design test has had a bunch of technical issues, so I'd avoid it. I get to take them for free, so it's just annoying instead of annoying and expensive.

Most of them have been easy, only surfacing took two tries. I'm coming up on a third for mold design accompanied with a list of typos and error reports none of the other tests have thrown.

I have a salary bump attached to earning my CSWE and a few others, so that's nice. I'm working for a VAR, though, so my angle on this dangle is probably not the same as most in thread.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

I've got 4 certs, most of them are easy, but in my quest so far, the Mold Design test has had a bunch of technical issues, so I'd avoid it. I get to take them for free, so it's just annoying instead of annoying and expensive.

Most of them have been easy, only surfacing took two tries. I'm coming up on a third for mold design accompanied with a list of typos and error reports none of the other tests have thrown.

I have a salary bump attached to earning my CSWE and a few others, so that's nice. I'm working for a VAR, though, so my angle on this dangle is probably not the same as most in thread.

Do VAR's know how many of each certification level are out there?

I'm curious to know what the CSWE numbers are for 2021 but can't seem to find anything more recent than 2019.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it!

Looks like NewFatMike has some bragging rights.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 19, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hopefully I'll be getting it soon. The two week wait period between attempts is a momentum killer and at this point Mold Design is a windmill I'm tilting at more than anything else.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I figured I'd do Weldments, Drawing Tools and Surfacing before messing with Mold Tools (only need 3 sections to attempt the CSWE, IIRC), but drat finding the uninterrupted time to do it (have to use work PC because home internet is so poo poo that it can't even submit the data from the exam software, and well, there's no such thing as that much uninterrupted time at work).

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Rhino goons, I have a couple of basic questions maybe someone can help with. I have a mostly Solidworks/Onshape background so this stuff is a bit new to me.

1. Is there an option to disable selecting far side faces/edges/vertices when box or lasso selecting? I would like to just select items on the near side of the model sometimes.

2. With SubD objects, is there at way to push or pull selected faces/edges/vertices to a target surface? I have a model with some wavy underside, and I would like to select those areas and pull them flat to a known surface. Sort of like projecting a curve to a surface but moving points of a SubD object.

e: Rhino 7

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just got word that SOLIDWORKS have changed their VAR certification scheme, so I've got 8 exams to pass by the end of July. I'll keep y'all in the loop :shepface:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

I just got word that SOLIDWORKS have changed their VAR certification scheme, so I've got 8 exams to pass by the end of July. I'll keep y'all in the loop :shepface:

I'd definitely be interested in any details you're allowed to share. I've basically been my employer's in-house Solidworks professional user that has trained other employees on how to use it for the various product lines we develop designs on (and those guys go and test up to CSWP and then go find a job at other companies, so it's like a never-ending training/work session for me :argh: ) and once I get my CSWE and see about whatever other training/certifications there are for VAR employees I may see if I can dip my career into that side of things.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Honestly if you want to check out the VAR scene, go for it even right now. I had only touched SOLIDWORKS a little before I joined and had mostly just been freelancing using Fusion and Rhino, self and community taught.

The VAR stuff is pushing to 3DX in a big way right now which I hate because it's still not completely baked. That said, my customer interactions and trainings are exclusively about SWX.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

simmyb posted:

Rhino goons, I have a couple of basic questions maybe someone can help with. I have a mostly Solidworks/Onshape background so this stuff is a bit new to me.

1. Is there an option to disable selecting far side faces/edges/vertices when box or lasso selecting? I would like to just select items on the near side of the model sometimes.

2. With SubD objects, is there at way to push or pull selected faces/edges/vertices to a target surface? I have a model with some wavy underside, and I would like to select those areas and pull them flat to a known surface. Sort of like projecting a curve to a surface but moving points of a SubD object.

e: Rhino 7

1) not as far as I know, lasso and box have always been select everything

2) not sure if it'll work here but I usually flatten out things by rotating my part so what I want flat is along a coordinate axis plane and then using the scale slider on the gumball to scale the z height of my points to zero which makes them all planar normal to that axis if that makes sense.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

This course is a pretty good series.

https://www.linkedin.com/learning/solidworks-2020-essential-training

Waaaaaaaaaay back around Solidworks 2006 I used the then-current version of this book to learn the ins-and-outs of Solidworks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1630574007

Cool, thank you. I never would have thought to look at LinkedIn for training material.

Good luck to those of you getting your certs!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i am an incredible dumbass for not looking into the certs years ago while i had a legit copy of SW student and could have taken them for free :qq:

how does the academic testing work, anyways? it sounds like it has to be administered/proctored by a school employee, so someone on the school's end would have to have actively applied to be a cert provider and actively be offering the tests, right? is there a way to get the free tests as a student without needing to have a teacher be on board for hosting the test? b/c i will absolutely take some night school/con-ed CAD course to become an Official Student again, if it means i can stack as many tests as i can in a semester, or whatever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i am an incredible dumbass for not looking into the certs years ago while i had a legit copy of SW student and could have taken them for free :qq:

how does the academic testing work, anyways? it sounds like it has to be administered/proctored by a school employee, so someone on the school's end would have to have actively applied to be a cert provider and actively be offering the tests, right? is there a way to get the free tests as a student without needing to have a teacher be on board for hosting the test? b/c i will absolutely take some night school/con-ed CAD course to become an Official Student again, if it means i can stack as many tests as i can in a semester, or whatever.

No.

Solidworks Certifications are 100% online. You can do them on any computer with Solidworks that you have access rights to that will allow you to install the Testing client.

https://www.solidworks.com/solidworks-certification-program

EDIT:

Get an EAA membership ($40/year), then download the Solidworks version available to members of that group. Then download and install the Tester client.

Practice with tutorials/etc., then pay for an exams. Take/pass the exam. Move on.

Each exam price varies (and Solidworks does do promotions occasionally, but you have to keep an eye out for them).

CSWA - Mechanical is $100 to take as of today.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 19, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i accidentally clicked into the provider application form, and this part is what made me unsure:

Certification Rules
As an Academic Certification Provider, you must read and agree to the following rules before offering the exam to students:

Provider agrees to check Virtual Tester account 10 business days before exam day to see if they have the credits they need for testing.*

Provider agrees to verify the testing environment 5 business days before exam day

Provider agrees to give the exam in a proctored setting. The proctor must be a school employee.*

if there's no enforcement or verification that providers are actually doing it that way, and if you can independently apply without having to go through a teacher or the specific named Provider, i guess it doesnt really matter

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ok. Go here and it will straighten you out.

https://3dexperience.virtualtester.com/#home

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

1) not as far as I know, lasso and box have always been select everything

2) not sure if it'll work here but I usually flatten out things by rotating my part so what I want flat is along a coordinate axis plane and then using the scale slider on the gumball to scale the z height of my points to zero which makes them all planar normal to that axis if that makes sense.

Thanks! I worked out #2. Turns out there is a "Pull Curves to control points" function that does exactly what I needed, BUT the initial result is pretty rough and your idea worked very well to clean it up :)

I'm basically making shoe lasts from 3D scans, and after a lot of farting around getting it to work in solid modelling, I've worked out how to do it all in Rhino in about 5 hours. Once I have a process it will probably be a fraction of that

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Quick CAD package question.

I'm looking to actually buy a CAD program for my personal business as I imagine I will actually be making money soon. Pretty much just need good solid modelling for engineering components, plastic parts, sheet metal, engineering drawings etc. I'm used to using Solidworks from the previous places I've worked but it's like $15k NZD here lol and there's just no way I can afford that or justify it in my case. I've never really tried any other programs but I was looking at either Fusion 360 or Onshape, any suggestions? I hate the idea of web based software or cloud poo poo which is an issue for both of them but perhaps less so for Fusion? It definitely seems that Fusion is better value of the two when you're paying for it but I don't know if the modelling tools are equally powerful across the two, never having used them. Stuff like CAM and simulation are nice to have but not really a requirement for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Solidworks