Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smythe posted:

previous page on a book is to the left in this country, the greatest country in the world, america. duh. very easy. bing bong. what is this, some kinda torah or? jesus christ.... (litrally???) sorry if this is wrong i never went to hebrew school. thank you :tipshat:

We're all pagans over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Computer viking posted:

Also, yes, left handed people are another argument for making it adjustable.

It doesn't need to be adjustable anymore since you can go back from either side edge.

Gestures are the now, embrace them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't need to be adjustable anymore since you can go back from either side edge.

Gestures are the now, embrace them.

ill never use a gesture and you cant make me. Fucker!

e: cept to open the "app drawer" .. of course.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Pixel 4a 5g has great battery life, a headphone jack, the usual great pixel camera, and will be supported as long as any other pixel

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah but it's so big

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

sourdough posted:

Yeah but it's so big

It's got a similar diagonal size to the Nexus 6 which I liked, but it's taller and thinner so it's a lot easier to put in my pocket. I'm liking mine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rexxed posted:

It's got a similar diagonal size to the Nexus 6 which I liked, but it's taller and thinner so it's a lot easier to put in my pocket. I'm liking mine.

Seeing it's as wide as a OnePlus 7T and just slightly shorter killed any interest for me, I swapped the 7T for a Pixel 3a because of the size. But the 5 and normal 4a exist so I'm glad there's a big phone version too

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I found an old Tylt Qi charger I bought for my Nexus 5 while I was packing today, is there any reason I shouldn't use it with my Pixel 5? Aside from being slow to charge by today's standards. Could it harm the battery?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It'll be fine, just slow at 5w. Perfectly fine for overnight charging it slow top offs during the day.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've had this annoying issue with YouTube notifications and it's happened on every Android phone I've ever owned so it's definitely not something specific to me or anything and Googling this is proving to be impossible so I'm hoping someone knows a fix for it.

Basically the youtube app on Android only allows for like 4 notifications. What that means is while I am sleeping if I get four notifications for stuff I subscribe to, and another one comes in, it "erases" the oldest notification.

I have no clue why it does this and no other app seems to (Slickdeals.net app has no problem handling 20+ notifications at once). Is there any way to fix this? I miss so much cool crap because of it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be the thread's recommendation for a slim/compact powerbank? I've had this Anker (20,100mAh) one since early 2017 and still works amazingly:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cha...20751392&sr=8-4.

I carry it around when I'm a weekend away from home but I find it kind of bulky and heavy if I need a quick charge for my phone (Find X2 Neo) during a busy day if I can't use my wall charger. I don't mind it being 10,000mAh or whatever but as I have one of these sling bags with a USB port, I'd love something light that I can use while I walk or even recharge it when I'm running.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, sort of bad timing because Aukey just had all their products pulled from Amazon due to review manipulation.

There are two canidates from anker depending on the form factor you want.

Slim and phone shaped.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...ps%2C174&sr=8-5

Smaller but chunkier.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...c4-3e7a9c0027d0

I have the 2nd one (well, and earlier revision of it) and one of the things I like about it is that it has a trickle charge mode where it won't try to detect if there's a load on the battery and shutoff once charging is finished. This is really nice for wearables, headphones, and other low load devices that some batteries will refuse to charge for any length of time since they aren't drawing enough load to be detected.

(I have to say, I'm amused by the people giving the first one low marks because it doesn't work well charging microUSB devices.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 11, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, did that happen to Aukey? I have a wall charger, a bunch of cables that work nicely and got some months ago a pair of TWS earphones from them.

Thanks! I'll look for these two and any other people can recommend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not confirmed, but that's the speculation since the timing is too coincidental.

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/05/11/aukey-and-mpow-products-disappear-from-amazon/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What the heck. I have a bunch of Aukey and Mpow stuff, and it's totally fine. Works great, cheap as hell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I mean I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the products themselves, but Amazon takes a very hard line when it comes to review fraud.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone else suddenly got chrome desperate to translate web pages from simple chinese to English despite there being nothing resembling it on there

:tinfoil:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just checked Amazon.es and yeah, when I try to access my purchase history and check the Aukey TWS earphones there's no page at all. Same with cables and chargers.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MPOW at least have done it for a while. I skipped one of their products when fakespot gave it an F.
It's largely why I always just choose anker.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My issue with Anker is that both stock are usually low and prices are way up in here. Great quality on everything I got from them no doubt.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Khablam posted:

MPOW at least have done it for a while. I skipped one of their products when fakespot gave it an F.

It's a shame because their products speak for themselves, my spouse is always jelly I only spent :20bux::20bux: on a pair of buds that rival her airpods.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Tetrabor posted:

It's a shame because their products speak for themselves, my spouse is always jelly I only spent :20bux::20bux: on a pair of buds that rival her airpods.

Truth. I bought a $35 pair of their true wireless buds to use for videoconferencing at work. They sound great and are even more compact and lighter than the $100 Anker/Soundcore Liberty 2 Pros I use at home. Wireless charging on the case and everything.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the products themselves, but Amazon takes a very hard line when it comes to review fraud.

Aukey always offered to send me free stuff for higher reviews.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BonoMan posted:

I recently got a set of wireless earbuds from them and I don't recall them asking me. Unless it was like on a piece of paper in the packaging or something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

I recently got a set of wireless earbuds from them and I don't recall them asking me. Unless it was like on a piece of paper in the packaging or something.

It was a couple of years ago and whenever I would leave a less than 5 star review, they'd contact me directly - offer to give me a higher version of whatever it was in exchange for "correcting" reviews.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dunno what was the last fuckin thing I bought on amazon that was some amazon/no name thing that didn't come with an offer to get something by giving a good review.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Posted the other day about my Pixel 3a XL's camera no longer focusing. It hasn't fixed itself and the physical fixes like shaking and tapping haven't worked. Any other ideas?

If it's broken I guess I should get a new phone just for that reason even though I've only had this a year (bought used so no RMA I assume). Any recommendations? I like the size of the XL. The headphone jack is nice since I use AUX in my car. I think flagship phone prices are ridiculous. I'm on AT&T if that matters.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

Posted the other day about my Pixel 3a XL's camera no longer focusing. It hasn't fixed itself and the physical fixes like shaking and tapping haven't worked. Any other ideas?

If it's broken I guess I should get a new phone just for that reason even though I've only had this a year (bought used so no RMA I assume). Any recommendations? I like the size of the XL. The headphone jack is nice since I use AUX in my car. I think flagship phone prices are ridiculous. I'm on AT&T if that matters.

Everything I've heard about the 4a suggests that if you liked your 3a it's the best current choice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I see the 4a 5g is the bigger screen now. Would I notice going from a 6" down to a 5.8" if I got the regular?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

KingKapalone posted:

I’m not familiar with the Google Camera app but if there’s a manual focus slider thing, try that to see if it’s just autofocus that’s broken. If both autofocus and manual are broken then it’s probably really unlikely it’s a software bug. Sounds like probably the focus actuator died somehow.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

I see the 4a 5g is the bigger screen now. Would I notice going from a 6" down to a 5.8" if I got the regular?

The 4a is a much smaller phone than the 3a XL. The 4a 5G is actually a bit smaller than it too.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-3a-XL,Google-Pixel-4a,Google-Pixel-4a-5G/phones/11069,11311,11395

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i would say least wait until i/o on the 18th to see if the 5a is announced before buying a 4a

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

BonoMan posted:

TOZO has been my sort of Review for free stuff, however even when one or two of their items in didn't leave a full 5 star review (mainly their budget smartwatch) for they were still ok with it and have never complained or stopped when they have something new.

Most of their stuff though, like their charging pad and their earbuds are top notch though so I do recommend them.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

butt dickus posted:

i would say least wait until i/o on the 18th to see if the 5a is announced before buying a 4a

Oh nice, didn't know. Thanks.

So the 4a 5G has bigger screen than the 3a XL but must have less bezel if it's smaller?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Oh nice, didn't know. Thanks.

So the 4a 5G has bigger screen than the 3a XL but must have less bezel if it's smaller?

Yes, but also both the 4a models are 19.5:9 compared to the 3a's 18:9. You can't really just compare diagonal length for phones over the past few years as they can be anywhere from 16:9 to 21:9, so phone sizes can be quite different for the same diagonal.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
use one of the comparison sites
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Pixel-3a-XL,Google-Pixel-4a-5G/phones/11069,11395

e: lol this was already linked

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

How does fakespot know a review is fake? They're almost always from people who actually bought the item (since the offer for a gift card to leave the good review is in the box).

Also I just bought a bug zapped for $20 and they offered to give me a $20 gift card to leave a good review. I'm no business major but how is that profitable? They made literally zero dollars on my purchase. Unless they don't include that offer in every single box?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

How does fakespot know a review is fake? They're almost always from people who actually bought the item (since the offer for a gift card to leave the good review is in the box).

Also I just bought a bug zapped for $20 and they offered to give me a $20 gift card to leave a good review. I'm no business major but how is that profitable? They made literally zero dollars on my purchase. Unless they don't include that offer in every single box?

Most bot reviews are usually the same. A username that's gibberish or a "common American name" with some numbers, then 5/5 stars and no text or "Great product" or something simple.

The "username+numbers" combo is common on Reddit too, there's TONS of advertising bots and repost bots that post for karma or to share an ad.

It's all about stealth advertising, really.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I figured that was the case for bots but I meant the reviews where people were paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Oh yeah I figured that was the case for bots but I meant the reviews where people were paid.

Oh, that's because there was a leak and the information that Aukey and MPOW were paying for reviews was a part of it. No one's commented officially but it's pretty much a WEIRD coincidence if not true.